Moly in PCMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting in over my head on Moly DTC in factory oil. Doing Google and Yahoo searches on the subject, there seems to be some credible evidence that Moly DTC can cause corrosion of brass/bronze/copper and lead in bearings. 100 PPM seems to be the point where noticeable corrosion begins.

I have noticed on VOA/UOA that Mobil has moly in the 50-60 range, PP in the same 50-60 range, and Synpower has none. However MaxLife syn has 300 and Redline has several hundred.

Can someone tell me about the corrosive effects of moly dtc in low to mid tech terms?

I think you could hedge your bets by comparing the copper strip corrosion test (ASTM D-130). I believe the 1a test result rating is the best. If you are unable to find the test results for the product you are interested in, then try comparing UOA's to see if there is elevated Cu.

I have been unable to find the ASTM test results.

I have compiled UOA data going back to April 2004 as part of a project I am working on. A quick glance SEEMS TO INDICATE that there might be an increase in copper as moly content goes up OVERALL. I could see no real difference in lead. This is just a glance and it will take several hours to compile copper content by moly content of oil and time in engine.

There is a thread on BITOG(in oil additives) by a man who ran the engine lab at EXXON Research that says 100 PPM of Moly DTC
showed copper corrosion and 300 PPM show copper, lead, and tin corrosion. I just wondered if that is why folk at Mobil, Valvoline, Pennzoil, Castrol, Amsoil, keep MOLY DTC below 100 PPM.

It's well known in the industry that many sulfur containing compounds (not just MoDTC) can cause issues with "yellow metal" corrosion. MoDTC or similar compunds have been shown to cause this issue in poorly formulated lubricants, but it is fairly easy to "fix" the formulation with well known additives so the corrosion is not a problem even up to high treat rates of MoDTC (well over 1000ppm of Moly).

Originally Posted By: FrankN4
I have been unable to find the ASTM test results.

I have compiled UOA data going back to April 2004 as part of a project I am working on. A quick glance SEEMS TO INDICATE that there might be an increase in copper as moly content goes up OVERALL. I could see no real difference in lead. This is just a glance and it will take several hours to compile copper content by moly content of oil and time in engine.

There is a thread on BITOG(in oil additives) by a man who ran the engine lab at EXXON Research that says 100 PPM of Moly DTC
showed copper corrosion and 300 PPM show copper, lead, and tin corrosion. I just wondered if that is why folk at Mobil, Valvoline, Pennzoil, Castrol, Amsoil, keep MOLY DTC below 100 PPM.

I'm not familiar with the study you mention, but you should be able to find copper corrosion results with each oil product technical data sheet. Here is an oil I use that has over 200ppm moly:

http://www.schaefferoil.com/datapdf/703.pdf

Here are some data points that may help. They are taken from UOA's of a 2000 Tundra with the 2UZ-FE (V-8) engine.

At 99K a sample of ML synthetic 5W-30 with 5K on the oil showed:
Pb 12
Cu 3
Mo 204

At 115K a sample of ML syn 10W-30 with 4.8K on the oil showed:
Pb 9
Cu 2
Mo 223

At 128K a sample of PP 5W-30 with 3.1K on the oil showed:
Pb 8
Cu 2
Mo 49

At 138K a sample of Schaeffers 10W-30 (703) with 4.3K on oil showed:
Pb 4
Cu 2
Mo 218

I'm not sure what conclusions you can draw from this small sample, but maybe it will help with the big picture you are putting together. Good luck.

Interesting...maybe Valvoline was using the powder version in their original (SL) MaxLife syn.

Schaeffers calls theirs micro moly. I don't know what that means exactly though. It does not appear to be harmful or corrosive in any way though, at leats in my application.

I'm going to misspell this all to heck, but you will get the idea.

There are basically three kinds of moly in use, powered moly, colloidal moly, and soluble moly. Most of the modern day oils use soluble moly. There is no corrosion problems with soluble moly.

A few years back Cummins Engine Company came out with a big study not recommending moly use in their engines. The moly they were referring to was the powdered moly.

Originally Posted By: Valvman
It's well known in the industry that many sulfur containing compounds (not just MoDTC) can cause issues with "yellow metal" corrosion. MoDTC or similar compunds have been shown to cause this issue in poorly formulated lubricants, but it is fairly easy to "fix" the formulation with well known additives so the corrosion is not a problem even up to high treat rates of MoDTC (well over 1000ppm of Moly).
I think that is true in most applications. Chemistry is such a complicated phenomena so there are exceptions to the rules we try to create. Temperature is one variable that can be one of those exceptions...diesel engines can have higher CC temperatures than gas engines so usage of MoDTC and some other (soft metal sensitive) moly-free sulfur-containing additives in HDEOs must be particularly scrutinized.

From R.T. Vanderbilt Company, Inc.
Quote:
MOLYVAN 807
MOLYVAN 807 offers a unique molybdenum-sulfur combination in an oil-soluble form which is easy to blend into lubricants. MOLYVAN 807 can be used to maintain the antifriction properties of an engine oil while reducing the phosphorus content. To obtain significant increases in extreme pressure properties and impart improved antiwear performance, MOLYVAN 807 can be used in combination with VANLUBE® 7723, a non-metallic dithiocarbamate which functions as antioxidant and extreme pressure agent.

Note: Since oil formulations vary it is recommended that upon the incorporation of any additive the finished product be tested to confirm original test results. In some formulations, the presence of MOLYVAN 807 may contribute to copper corrosion which would be detrimental to some diesel engines. Therefore, its use in such lubricants is not recommended.

Quote:
MOLYVAN 822
MOLYVAN 822 may be used to maintain or improve the antifric-tion properties of an engine oil while reducing the phosphorus content. MOLYVAN 822 is less corrosive to copper than most other organic molybdenum compounds. MOLYVAN 822 is not recommended for use in diesel engine lubricants.

http://www.rtvanderbilt.com/ILSAC GF-5 Development.pdf
Quote:
Fuel Economy and Friction Modifiers A formulator may choose to increase the friction modifier level in order to achieve the required fuel economy increase in the Sequence VID engine test. Many friction modifiers are antagonistic towards Cu/Pb bearing corrosion in the Sequence VIII engine test. Certain organic, vegetable oil-derived friction modifiers are aggressive towards lead34. This effect will be exacerbated in GF-5 if ZDDP is lowered from 0.075% to 0.065%, as ZDDP is a good metal protectant and helps to protect Cu/Pb bearings from corrosion. In this case, other additives can be used to passivate the Cu/Pb surface. Certain molybdenum friction modifiers can also be corrosive but, unlike organic friction modifiers, molybdenum compounds also bring strong oxidation, wear and deposit control benefits to the formulation.

There is more on this subject online that is ready for the picking.

Quote:
Moly DTC at 25ppm helps in deposit tests. At 150ppm or more it also reduces friction. At 300ppm or more it helps with wear.

MoS2 settles quickly and does not redisperse. We found it in all the low flow areas i.e. corners of the pan and top of the head.

Ed

Quote:
We tested moly disulfide nanopowders when I ran the engine lab at Exxon Research. It offered no consistent benefit for fuel economy or wear. I had visible light micrographs, electron micrographs (molecular resolution), scanning tunneling micrographs (atomic resolution) and surface spectroscopy (XPS) results. It was obvious that the MoS2 did not react with the steel surfaces. Occasionally it could be burnished on to a surface.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1278421&fpart=2

Originally Posted By: Johnny

There are basically three kinds of moly in use, powered moly, colloidal moly, and soluble moly. Most of the modern day oils use soluble moly. There is no corrosion problems with soluble moly.

I thought soluble moly and moly DTC were one and the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back