Neon SRT-4 Mobil 1 viscosity recomendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Neon SRT-4 manuals have always recomended 5w-30 Mobil 1 in winter and 10w-30 in the summer if I recall. There are rumors that 0w-40 is better for daily driving and was not recomended because it wasn't available when the owners manual was made. I hear that their is now a 5w-40 and that it is an even better choice than the 0w-40. Thoughts?

Which do you think offers the best protection?

I also have an unrelated question, what usually gets up to temperature quicker when a cold engine is started, oil or coolant?

0W-40 Mobil 1 would do fine in that engine, the 5W-40 is a heavier oil designed for diesel use. 0W-40 Mobil 1 is commonly specified in applications such as yours.

The coolant reaches temperature faster than oil.

Originally Posted By: MGregoir
0W-40 Mobil 1 would do fine in that engine, the 5W-40 is a heavier oil designed for diesel use. 0W-40 Mobil 1 is commonly specified in applications such as yours.

The coolant reaches temperature faster than oil.

+1

Have you guys been able to find 0W-40, I never see it in WalMart or Oreillys.

Originally Posted By: J_Myler
I really hope I don't sound dumb but what dose coolant temp have to do with oil?

He might have a coolant temp gauge in the SRT-4(I think there stock)

He may want to know when the coolant is at temp, where dose that put the oil temp.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
I really hope I don't sound dumb but what dose coolant temp have to do with oil?

He may want to know when the coolant is at temp, where dose that put the oil temp.

The reason I asked had to do with a coolant to oil cooler, or warmer, whichever way you think of it.

Originally Posted By: 7055
Originally Posted By: rg200amp

The reason I asked had to do with a coolant to oil cooler, or warmer, whichever way you think of it.

Oh, I understand now. Thanks

What would be the general consensus from members here for this motor for a daily driver, 0w30 5w30 10w30 0w40 5w40?

Oil and coolant cooled Turbo
6250 redline
8:1
230hp 250tq stock at the wheels

I know alot depends on climate and driving style, but alot of owners think since one SRT engineer suggested to someone, who suggested to someone else, who suggested to another person, said that M1 0w40 was the best oil to run, everyone thinks its the best for the little Neon That Could. 99% of the other forum thinks that all synthetics are equal and that they need to change the oil at 3000 miles. most think that if there is a 0w in the grade.....it is water

I have had the best wear numbers on 0w30 fwiw

Last edited:
The 0w40 is the factory fill on many Porsche turbo vehicles making very substantial power figures. That's probably why he recommended it. It is a VERY robust oil.

I had excellent wear numbers running M1 5w-40 TDT in my Neon SRT-4, posted here. I have a sample of PP 5W-30 I need to send in and I will be pulling a sample of M1 0W-40 to send in at my next oil change. I think it will be hard to top the 5w-40 UOA though.

ran M1 5w30 since new in mine...until the last oil change. at 63k, switched to M1 0w40 to try something new. With the 5w30, at 3k miles, I was down 1 quart of oil. Now, with the 0w40, i'm at 5k on the oil change, and MAYBE 1/4 quart low...if even that much. The oil still has a nice golden color to it also, where the 5w30 was always black at 3k miles. I've also noticed that the cold side pipe doesn't have any oil dripping from it anymore.

Anyone else had a similar experience? I think i'm in love with 0w40. The only other oil i've thought about using is GC 0w30, but with my new findings, i'm almost afraid to switch again.

btw...wix or purolator pur-one filter, although with the new gritty paint on the purolator, i'll be exclusive wix from now on.

Another option, if it is easier to get, is GC 0W-30. It's almost a 40-weight oil, and is very, very stout. Would handle turbo service well - a few people w/Subaru Turbo's use it on here with success......

Originally Posted By: solodogg
ran M1 5w30 since new in mine...until the last oil change. at 63k, switched to M1 0w40 to try something new. With the 5w30, at 3k miles, I was down 1 quart of oil. Now, with the 0w40, i'm at 5k on the oil change, and MAYBE 1/4 quart low...if even that much. The oil still has a nice golden color to it also, where the 5w30 was always black at 3k miles. I've also noticed that the cold side pipe doesn't have any oil dripping from it anymore.

Anyone else had a similar experience? I think i'm in love with 0w40. The only other oil i've thought about using is GC 0w30, but with my new findings, i'm almost afraid to switch again.

btw...wix or purolator pur-one filter, although with the new gritty paint on the purolator, i'll be exclusive wix from now on.

Catch can took care of my cold side pipe oil, I usually run NAPA Gold oil filters, but Sometimes use a Pure One or Mobil 1 filter if I get them in with a 5qt + filter deal.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Another option, if it is easier to get, is GC 0W-30. It's almost a 40-weight oil, and is very, very stout. Would handle turbo service well - a few people w/Subaru Turbo's use it on here with success......
That, and VW approves it for many of their factory turbocharged engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back