Redline 5w20 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: buster
http://users.forthnet.gr/ath/mesastoura/RL_5W30_6747_AN_(2=07).pdf

RL does not contain Al as an additive. Time to put that one to rest.

Are you saying 1 = 0?

Why does Redline virgin contain Iron (1), Al (1), Tin (7), and Potassium (<10)? Sodium (23) levels are a bit high as well.

Last edited:
Usually that symbol means "less than" but in analysis where the level is low (almost undetectable) or the margin of error is indeterminate.

Originally Posted By: sunfire
Why does Redline virgin contain Iron (1), Al (1), Tin (7), and Potassium (div>

Quite possibly tin napthanate as an add. I've been told that Redline have started to use this, copying what Neo has used for years.

Still looks like the distinguishing characteristic of Redline is a whole boatload of Moly. Of all the various VOA/UOA's I've seen here, only the Motul 300V is in the same ballpark.

Nice high ZDDP and Calcium and Moly. As a premium oil I would like to have seen a little higher TBN.

Moly and Phosphorous numbers are definitely up there. I figured that there would be a tad bit more calcium but then I remembered what we are looking at for base oil and went oh yeah.

My buddies use RL to tweak less expensive oils. The TBN in that report is a little low though.

Gentlemen this oil originated as a race oil...extended drains were not within their marketing literature. Now they probably do retain their TBN quite well, but remember the design intent- if you have a blown motor where the oil sump hits 280 you'll love red line!

Maybe the base oil has some natural resistance and doesn't need a high TBN.

**Redline may have started as a race oil and they do have race oils, but this is a street oil. Redline recommends changing the oil between 10-18,000 miles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back