Lubro-Moly gear additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone ever try this product?I want to add it to my cars rear to quiet the constant gear whine between 40-65 mph.NO the rear is not worn out,these cars are known for this problem.I've had it worked on my times.The info on the Lubro Moly says it help quiet gear whine.

PLEASE DO NOT CHIME IN WITH>>>>>you need the rear fixed etc>>>>>the rear is fine.

I would use a thicker viscosity differential lube such as 75W110 or 75W140.

WHat vehicle, year, original or rebuilt diffy.

Its a 99 Pontiac Trans Am,i'm using Amsoil 75-140 now and after driving 20 mins or so and the oil gets good and warm i get a gear whine noise between 40-65 mph.The rear was checked many times and bearings changed but the whine is always there.It the 7.5 10 bolt gm rear.They are known for this problem.It was worse before i switched to Amsoil,it helped but still in warmer weather it sounds like a jet airplane behind you if you are accelerating hard through 55-65mph and then its completely quiet.Let me sum it up,its quiet 0-40 whines 40-65 quiet abouve that.Its also quiet coasting and crusing at very light throttle.Above slight throttle above 40mph its starts to whine,heavier throttle causes louder whining.At 65mph its gone and you can floor it without any whining.Unfortuneatly MY WIFE AND I drive normally and NEVER exceed 65mph!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!So we listen to this constantly.Back Lash is set @ .008 and is within factory specs.

I also thought about adding some Lucas oil modifier to thicken it a bit more,but i chickened out.LOL

Originally Posted By: azsynthetic
I would try RedLine heavy shock proof oil.
banana2.gif
Greatr idea!...i read the specs on it and its EXACTLY what i've been looking for PLUS it says Reduces Gear Noise.
happy2.gif

POSTED ON A FBODY SITE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"IMHO the RedLine differential gear oil's are way too thin..... whether or not they say 90-140 or not. It doesnt have the 'film pressure strength' that is pretty manditory for a street driven chassis. My first experience with this was back in the late 80's during the "Corvette Challenge Series". RedLine was a sponsor and we tried their entire line to include their gear oils... but found we had to change the "Shock Proof" differential oil in it every race. Not to mention its running temperature was above acceptable limits. If you were to use it in a track car... Id say go for it. But yours isnt... so I wont.

The best lubericants I have found in the past 15+ years or so are:

Schaffer suspended moly, straight 90wt. (Passenger cars, front ends in 4x4, light duty, cold climate).
Schaffer ISO9000 suspended moly, straight 140wt (Passenger cars and trucks, street performance, rear in 4x4, heavy duty, all climate).
Schaffer ISO9000 suspended moly, straight 250wt (Trophy trucks,Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Stock and maximum effort high HP applications, trucks up to 5ton).
TORCO SGO/RGO 85-140wt (If you really thought a multi viscosity really means something in a diff. BTW, it doesnt).
LE 704-9920 75-140wt (same as above).
Amsoil SG 75-140 (same as above).
Royal Purple 85-140wt (same as above).

The parrifin based oils are the ticket."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

What do you think?

I looked on the Red Line web site and i don't see any info on using the Shock Proof oil in a daily driver.Only reccomends it for racing applications,it also has no rating on it like GL- etc.Makes me leary to try it.Thinking hard on this one.....maybe i'll just go with the moly additive.

Schaffer #214 Moly Gear Lubricant <<<thats looks like a good choice,anyone know where i can buy two qts?TY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back