2 year oil change interval too long?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a CAT 3126E in a dumptruck and rarely put on more than 4000 miles in 2 years. I change the oil every 2 years regardless. I am wondering if that is too long an interval time-wise, and if so, why the oil must be changed annually as most of the literature suggests. This engine takes 30 quarts so I don't want to needlessly change oil. When I do run it, I will run it for several hours at least, so the engine gets up to temperature and stays at it for some time.

I'll let some others chime in on this. I would think as long as you get it up to temp when it is used and use a quality HDEO, there shouldn't be a problem. I would be running a fuel addative to keep the diesel stabilized though since it is rarely used.

My personal opinion is that's to long. Acids form in the oil from combustion and blow-by products like soot, plus condensation. I would do a minimum 1-year oil change. Thirty quarts of oil is nothing compared to the cost of that 3126E.
welcome2.gif
To BITOG

At the end of one year, I'd consider a UOA. Then I'd make a determination of how long to go for the OCI. Especially if you're getting it good and warm during operation.

$30 of UOA is a lot cheaper than anything else. Get the TBN as it's crticial to knowing capacity for acid/byproduct control.

i'm just about at 2 years on Shell Rotella 15w40 and will pull a sample when i change it and have Blackstone analyze it with TBN. It has just over 3000 miles on it. I expect if there is an issue it will be with low TBN. I certainly would prefer spending a little extra on oil than ruining that engine, especially hearing about that engine's injector sensitivity to good oil. I am actually changing all my equipment over to Chevron RPM 15W40, a CI-4+ oil. Any opinions on that oil?

Originally Posted By: kevhal777
i'm just about at 2 years on Shell Rotella 15w40 and will pull a sample when i change it and have Blackstone analyze it with TBN. It has just over 3000 miles on it. I expect if there is an issue it will be with low TBN. I certainly would prefer spending a little extra on oil than ruining that engine, especially hearing about that engine's injector sensitivity to good oil. I am actually changing all my equipment over to Chevron RPM 15W40, a CI-4+ oil. Any opinions on that oil?

I looked into that oil- seems like the off road/fleet counterpart to Delo 400. Similar to what Rimula is to Rotella. I would use it in my own truck.

Do you drive it in the winter? I would pull a sample in the spring and see what the analysis says before you start driving again. That is not a whole lot of miles per year.

I drive it year around, but it may sit for 2 or 3 weeks between uses. When I do run it it will run for at least 1 hour on the road, usually more.

Originally Posted By: kevhal777
I have a CAT 3126E in a dumptruck and rarely put on more than 4000 miles in 2 years. I change the oil every 2 years regardless. I am wondering if that is too long an interval time-wise, and if so, why the oil must be changed annually as most of the literature suggests. This engine takes 30 quarts so I don't want to needlessly change oil. When I do run it, I will run it for several hours at least, so the engine gets up to temperature and stays at it for some time.

Are you using an oil by-pass filter with it?

Hi,
in such a low/infrequent use engine it may be wise to consider using a lubricant with a Vapour Phase Inhibitor (VPI) component in its formulation

These "Agriculture" multi use HDEOs typically have a good TBN and are usually Manufacturer approved

Regards
Doug

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
in such a low/infrequent use engine it may be wise to consider using a lubricant with a Vapour Phase Inhibitor (VPI) component in its formulation

These "Agriculture" multi use HDEOs typically have a good TBN and are usually Manufacturer approved

Regards
Doug

Very good advice as is a yearly UOA.
bruce

I just got results back from a UOA done with 3000 miles and 2 years on the oil, no makeup oil added. I have a 30 quart pan so 3000 miles is nothing. The results were excellent. TBN was 10.3, all the element ppm's were well under the universal averages, insolubles was 0.1, no water, antifreeze, trace fuel. Blackstone said to run it out to 7000 miles next time. At my use rate, that would be at least 4 years. I really wonder now why there is so much emphasis on changing every 6 mos. or year if you haven't reached a mileage-based interval. The results of this test don't give me any reason to change it at 2 years, which is already double the time interval everyone says is critical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back