Audi S4 4.2 V8 and Approved Audi/VW Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I recently purchased a 2007 Audi S4 with 4.2 V8, timing chaing and NO direct injection. Since my goal is hold on to the car for an extended period, I definitely want to treat the engine well. Recently, I purchased the following oil for a 2500 mile oil change:

Motul Specific 505.01/502.00/505.0 5w40 (listed at Vollsynthese on the back, 100% Full Synthetic)

I wonder how it compares to the following:

Elf Excellium DID 5w40
Lubro-Moly (Liqui-Moly) Voll-Synthese 5w40

Has anyone done a comparison on these oils?

Thanks in advance,

Chuck

The S4 doe NOT have Direct Injection fuel injection system. So no, it will not suffer from the same fuel dilution problem as the RS4. Different cars and different engines.

Cheers,

Chuck

Quote:

The S4 doe NOT have Direct Injection fuel injection system. So no, it will not suffer from the same fuel dilution problem as the RS4. Different cars and different engines.

Cheers,

Chuck

Mercury, The S4 V8 still suffers from fuel dilution, although at a lower level. Substantial portions of the engine design are similar. The biggest problem with that V8 and the FSI V8 are the three chains used for cam and pump drive. S4 V8's are starting to show problems in later life with cam chain tensioners and cam chain problems. Since there is still some dilution going on, you will see accelerated wear of these components. BTW, I had a B6/S4 before I bought the RS4.

If you want to stay with 502 oil, I would recommend Lubro-Moly Vollsynthese 5w40. It has performed the best out of all the 502 oils in our RS4 testing.

If you are willing to go with a pseudo-502 oil, I can recommend Amsoil European Formula 5W-40, which is an excellent oil, and outperforms any of the "502 approved" oils.

For either of the above two oils, use a 5K oci, until you do a UOA and get direction from someone like Terry Dyson.

However, if you want the best oil for your engine, definitely go with the RLI BioSyn 5W-40 HD oil designed for the RS4. It is perfect for your engine, will allow at least a 7.5K OCI and possibly a 10K OCI, and will reduce cam chain wear.

BTW, you really don't want the cam chain or tensioners to need to be replaced outside of warranty. It's at least a 2-day job and requires the engine to be pulled.

Thanks for your input (RI_RS4) and you are right timing chains/tensioners going bad outside of warranty can be very expensive. I had a Passat W8 before my S4 that I purchased used, well at 45,000 miles I was getting excessive noise from the tensioner. Luckily, the car was under warranty or it would have been expensive to fix. My goal is to do a 2500 mile oil change, coming up in the next couple weeks. I will then be switching to Motul and then Lubro-Moly with a 5K OCI. Yes, it will be expensive but worth it to protect the engine. Since I have already purchased the Motul, then I will use it but work on moving on. I did get the Blackstone kit, wonder if the dealership will take a sample for me. I am taking it in for the 5k service trip to get something fixed and an oil change (but bringing my own oil).

Too bad, RLI has not been approved on the VW/Audi oil list, would be a good thing for them. I checked out their website and sounds like they have some nice products.

Cheers,

Chuck

Quote:

Too bad, RLI has not been approved on the VW/Audi oil list, would be a good thing for them. I checked out their website and sounds like they have some nice products.

Cheers,

Chuck

Chuck, yes it's too bad. But Audi/VW approval costs about $1/4 Million.

Yeah, I understand how that goes for a smaller company. Castrol has some deep pockets, too bad a lot their products are not up to snuff.

I will probably use the Lubro-Moly until I am out of the warranty period, and then switch to RLI product.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers,

Chuck

I'd listen to RS4.:) Amsoil 5w-40 if you can't use the RLI 5w-40. I would also like to see someone try Redline 5w-40. HT/HS of 4.6. It's not an API approved oil though.
smile.gif

After reading this, I am kind of glad I have a timing belt instead of the timing chain. hahah

I was kind of getting a bit upset about the timing belt and was seriously thinking about a car with a timing chain as my next car. I knew the tensioners on the chains were susceptible (from my motorcycle experience) so I guess the belts are not that bad.

Replacing the belt is certainly a pain, but I am sure not as much a pain as replacing a chain.

LubroMoly is a great oil and I would certainly think about trying it, but I am sticking with Mobil 1 till my stash is out.

RLI seems to be kicking some butt though.

Chains typically give you an audible cue of when they are on their deathbed, whereas the a belt just fails. Any interference engine, belt or chain, that loses the timing belt/chain is going to have big problems. I think RI_RS4 concern is premature wear of the timing chain due to insufficient lubrication.

Cheers,

Chuck

Quote:

It's not the chain that's so difficult, it's everything that goes wrong when pistons hit valves...

Quite true. But in the case of the Audi V8 engines, in order to replace the timing chain or the tensioners, the engine has to be pulled. It's generally at least a 2 day job at most shops.

that's why I worry about premature wear. Even if the cam and drive chains do not fail, it's a few big bills to replace a worn chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back