Redline 5w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was instructed not to pass on the substantive comments, but only the raw data, so please, do not ask. I will say that that TD gave the oil a stamp of approval. This is a new "SM" bottle. And no, there are no typos.

Iron: 2

Tin: 18

Alum: 4

Calcium: 2345

Mag: 17

Z: 1491

Sil: 16

NA: 31

Boron: 21

Phos: 1317

Barium: 7

Moly: 1419

Tan: 2.39

TBN: 8.1

visc: 50.7 and 8.2 at 40 and 100 respectively. Little lighter than before

This kinda looks like a UOA with some underlying engine/filtration problems. Are you certain where the sample came from?

It looks like it already comes complete with high wear metals, dirt and sodium. All it's missing is some Pb (maybe not). This should make it more exciting on a UOA for the analyst, I guess.

I don't understand the tin and Al,, but obviously Terry does. Moly has also been increased a lot.

John, how has this oil performed for you in your Vette? I'm guessing it would be a great match.

Don't feel bad Buster, with the exception of a few people who post regularly on this site, nobody here understands much about oil, but that doesn't keep them from making statements that connote authority.

Quote:

Why did everyone yell at Amsoil when they pulled this stunt? Redline should NOT call this SM......

I think they want people to know that you can run other oils than SL in cars that call for SM at your own risk. Still misleading though.

Quote:

SM ? Bull Sheet.

Why did everyone yell at Amsoil when they pulled this stunt? Redline should NOT call this SM......

I do think Redline's pipes are aging.

I honestly think that people complain about Amsoil for no reason other than the Amway style distribution. That is why I think Amsoil often gets unfairly criticized. For some inexplicable reason people love to hate the marketing/distribution. Probably has nothing to do with alluding to SM or anything else, it is the marketing I think.

Quote:

I don't understand the tin and Al,, but obviously Terry does. Moly has also been increased a lot.

John, how has this oil performed for you in your Vette? I'm guessing it would be a great match.

It performs well but the LS2 is an oil consumer so I will probably have to jump a grade.

Quote:

SM ? Bull Sheet.

I do think Redline's pipes are aging.

Nothing that some FloMax or Saw Pamento won't help
laugh.gif

The tin,alum and iron are from the plumbing at the bottleing plant.Not a big deal. By the way if any of you want lead in your oil NEO use's lead acitate or some other form of lead as an antiwear additive in it's oil! If my memory is right they use about 300-500ppm of lead in their oil!

Quote:

It performs well but the LS2 is an oil consumer so I will probably have to jump a grade.

How much oil is it consuming? My LS1 uses approximately a quart every 5-6k. (so it's one of the good ones, since there are a lot of them out there using twice this much oil)

Strangely enough it consumes no oil under 3000 RPM's. Above that, it consumes in direct proportion to the time I spend above 3k. Of course, bumping up a grade or 2 might help with that. I was all set to use GC, but do not feel like dealing with the added acquisition hassle here in U.S.

A letter was sent out by GM that SargeGTO has referenced on this board admitting the oil consumption issue and advising to check at every fuel stop so the issue is quite serious.

The transmission half died on me recently and I could only use gears 1-4 and had to drive a long way in 4th gear on the freeway with 3.91 gears at 3-5 RPM's. It burned at the rate of half a quart/500 miles under those conditions.

TD reports that the new Redline formulation is equivalent to Nascar oil. That could be good or bad I guess depending on the application, for me it is good.

Spoke with Dave. RL only has 950 ppm of Moly and should have NO Al at all. Lab contamination?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back