Pr 1970 Superbirds For sale - Barn Find
by user52165. 09/20/18 12:32 PM
Fram Ultra Air Filters
by StevieC. 09/20/18 12:20 PM
Change oil filter or not. Very low miles
by Martin10. 09/20/18 11:37 AM
Toslink optical audio cable (plastic) experience
by ffhdriver. 09/20/18 11:30 AM
A woman I work with wants an affair with me!
by Drew99GT. 09/20/18 11:08 AM
ACEA A5/B5 REQUIREMENTS
by Kjmack. 09/20/18 10:56 AM
Carolina Reaper hot peppers
by gman2304. 09/20/18 09:54 AM
New Fram air filter?
by irv. 09/20/18 09:15 AM
Any golf cart experts?
by HawkeyeScott. 09/20/18 09:15 AM
EU Subaru 2.5 FB engine oil
by IMPALA08. 09/20/18 08:16 AM
02 Focus head replacement
by Eric Smith. 09/20/18 08:08 AM
A5/B5 or A3/B3
by ka9mnx. 09/20/18 07:53 AM
2018 Mazda 3 2.5 Castrol or Mazda Moly
by mazdamonky. 09/20/18 07:44 AM
What fuel are you running?
by Matagonka. 09/20/18 07:25 AM
Be careful what you wish for...
by Shannow. 09/20/18 04:40 AM
Debating repowering my tower.
by Colt45ws. 09/20/18 01:10 AM
Oil filter for GM 8.1l V8?
by KenO. 09/19/18 11:10 PM
Help! No high beam
by wolf_06. 09/19/18 11:02 PM
Heading for divorce
by barkingspider. 09/19/18 11:02 PM
Oil recommendation: 1991 Nissan D21 truck
by RDY4WAR. 09/19/18 10:04 PM
Newest Members
FarmerDude, Bman90, Alday714, Joephoto, tlelectric
66021 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
99 registered members (28oz, ABomb369, Armkb, asand1, 2015_PSD, 12 invisible), 1,665 guests, and 49 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics290,713
Posts4,848,875
Members66,021
Most Online3,590
Jan 24th, 2017
Donate to BITOG
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Passenger Car Motor Oil (PCMO) - Gasoline Vehicles
09/20/18 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by ndfergy
Sorry, FarmerDude, for mine and subsequent comments hijacking your post. I knew it would but felt it important enough to make things clear.

StevieC:
You and others can ramble on all you want about how great your beloved oil is but one thing you can’t do is guarantee with 100% certainty that a claim wouldn’t be denied or hasn’t in the past? GM’s warranty is clear, why take that chance? The whole reason for DEXOS is to ensure a higher standard for their motor oil. I’m sure GM would be none too pleased if they found out otherwise. Hence, your recommendation is completely irresponsible, and quite frankly, probably self-serving.

Go peddle your stuff all you want for people out of warranty but don’t roll the dice with other people’s money.

Selfserving? I make nothing on whether he buys Amsoil or not and I could careless what he uses. Second, show me a case where someone was denied warranty for using Amsoil with an OE? On-top of that Amsoil certifies their oils to meet Dexos Specification both in the non API licensed Signature Series and the API licensed OE Series oils. Yes Dexos 1 Gen 2. So it's not my "beloved" oil, it's an oil that meets/exceeds the actual specification as tested by Amsoil and certified by GM. Proof on the OE line (API Licensed): https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g3404.pdf Proof on the Signature Series Line (Non API Licensed): https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2880.pdf

Clearly they know the specification and meet/exceed it or they wouldn't have been granted the API license on the OE series and the Signature Series is their flagship product that is even better than the OE series.
27 428 Read More
Automotive General Topics
09/20/18 05:58 PM
They haven’t run in all these years, but their mechanic owner filled them with pure anti-freeze and Marvel Mystery Oil before he put them away.
3 63 Read More
General and Off Topic
09/20/18 05:51 PM
I know you are lot younger than me. Trust me when I tell you to just invest in low cost indexed fund regularly and forget chasing the previous high fliers. I wish somebody had drilled this in to me when I was younger.

P.S. Never mind; did not realize this was 8 year old post! Never the less, advice still stands if somebody is asking that question today.
23 3,201 Read More
General and Off Topic
09/20/18 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by wdn
Run do not walk from this situation. That's my advice.

And run fast, run far.
38 399 Read More
Detail and Wax
09/20/18 05:46 PM
I still have a can of it 80% full. They went out of business. I was using that stuff back in the 90s.

There are so many better things now, first of all Jescar Power Lock Plus. Easier to apply, and looks better.
8 745 Read More
09/20/18 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by hallstevenson

When you say 7 quarts for the Corvette, do they mean the "dry" capacity, as in how much is put in at the factory when there's NO residual oil that can possibly be 'trapped' in the engine ? I've seen that mentioned in manuals many times and as far as the owner's manual goes, that's still to put that value in there as it doesn't apply in 99% of cases.

That's the problem, I think the listed capacity in the manual for my engine really is the dry capacity of a new engine. The odd thing is, for the dry sump engine, the capacity they list in the manual is the correct amount necessary for an oil change.
22 715 Read More
General and Off Topic
The 6' cable seems to have created a partial black hole which was impeding the travel of light...
1 63 Read More
Automotive Electrical
Originally Posted by wolf_06
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
What will the Hyundai dealer give you for the Cruze? Might be worth it to trade it and get into something more reliable.

Puts me in an elantra SE popular pqckage for 26k on the road all in.

That including the trade? Or minus the trade?
7 227 Read More
Lawn Mower and Small Engine
09/20/18 05:43 PM
Cheapest Top Tier 87 which 95% of the time is Costco.
24 275 Read More
Tires & Wheels
09/20/18 05:42 PM
That isn't the same tread pattern as the Hankook Dynapro though. I don't know whether LingLong tires are any good.

China can build nuclear submarines and orbiting space stations but somehow cannot make tire rubber? I really don't think so. What have they done in the last 10 years? Well for one thing China now builds more than half the world's automobiles. And now they own Volvo too.
[Linked Image]

https://www.lubrizoladditives360.com/acea-oil-sequences-china/
17 531 Read More
Mechanical/Maintenance Forum
09/20/18 05:39 PM
LIkely the battery was weak, keeping the alternator at high load, getting it hot and whining.

When the alternator quit, the weak battery barely ran the car 1 minute.
10 250 Read More
09/20/18 05:36 PM
Ok I think I'll super tech. Thanks guys
12 403 Read More
Product Rebates, Sales and Promotions
09/20/18 05:36 PM
It is back to $3.95 per quart (again). Irishman
24 2,218 Read More
Engine Oil Filters
09/20/18 05:34 PM
Harley oil filters are supposedly made by Champion and are quality filters from my understanding. I have never felt a need to buy anything else.
7 121 Read More
Computers
09/20/18 05:34 PM
I'm only running 24gb 6x4gb.
9 356 Read More
09/20/18 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by Garak
Get some SAE 50 (if you can, I don't think I'd be able to easily find some) and try it side by side with the 20w-50 and 15w-40 and 5w-50 for us. wink

DELO 400LE CJ4, VR1 in SAE50 and 20w50

36 deg

0 deg

8 2,419 Read More
General and Off Topic
09/20/18 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by Oro_O
Glad to find it before it was truly needed.

Always test your central heat and A/C when you really don't need it near the beginning of the season!
25 416 Read More
Vehicles
09/20/18 05:31 PM
Then i think you'll be very happy with that new model. The 6 speed trans alone is worth upgrading to. Clean low mileage trucks like your 02 are never going to be worth more than they are today. I got enough out of my old truck that the upgrade wasn't that expensive.
65 1,018 Read More
09/20/18 05:29 PM
5w30 Penzoil Platinum since new. Now at 50,000 miles. No issues.
9 184 Read More
Aviation
09/20/18 05:29 PM
It looks like Kansai Terminal 1 which is their main terminal will be fully operational by Friday. A lot of cleanup and repairs were needed. Also, rail service to the airport is back up and running.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20180920_35/
8 274 Read More
Engine Air Filters
09/20/18 05:20 PM
We can't currently get the Fram Ultra Air filters in Canada. (Not even at Walmart)

Is there really a difference in their quality versus the tough guard that it's worth me adding it to my shopping list when I'm in the U.S.

Does anyone know how they compare in-terms of efficiency versus the tough-guard? I ask because they spec one for my new ride and I would spend the extra cash for better filtration over the standard Tough Guard filters or an OE Denso that's in my Yota now.

cheers
0 52 Read More
Cooling System Fluids & Additives
09/20/18 05:19 PM
Day two flushes, goal to be satisfied I have a good dilution % close to factory by look, aint there yet. I have more coolant coming from the amazon, so we will do more. I am not satisfied yet. Right to left, new coolant, flush 2 coolant, flush 1 coolant. If you are doing coolant swaps, please capture and drop off at local recycling. I couldn't get at full flush, driver side bolt not accessible and passenger bolt not budging, any more tugging on that I will be w/o the top of the bolt, so done with that. It will have to be this for the life of the truck, a series of flushes, coolant is relatively cheap, so whatever. All anyone has to do is remove the bolt behind the t stat and radiator petcock and pop the cap on radiator, and they can do this in their garage. Very easy process. This is also burp free process.

Just under 30k miles.

[Linked Image]
4 349 Read More
General and Off Topic
09/20/18 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by road_rascal
Great post. We have our cabin tank pumped every 3-4 years (around $150 and it 'seems' to be required by the county although I haven't confirmed that). It's a newer drain field type system (I think that's the term) and so far we've never had any issues. I'm septic tank stupid so posts like these make me smarter. I think.

All septic tanks have a drain field attached. The tank holds the solids and the liquids drain out thru the field. Depending on your local regulations most systems are engineered. Out our way it’s mandatory. There are several types of drain fields.

It’s important to not let the tank get too full. Once solids get into the drain field and plug the holes it becomes a very costly job to clear up.
23 493 Read More
General and Off Topic
09/20/18 05:16 PM
As you go through your divorce, you might feel the need to understand & rationalise how you arrived at this awful point in your life.

Here are my personal (and painfully won) tips for understanding what's happening...

Women want what they don't have. As soon they've got that which they didn't have, they stop wanting it & start wanting something else. It's why they buy so many pairs of shoes! Sadly the same seems to apply to how many women (thankfully not all) see their husbands.

Women want men that other women want. Once you're married & 'off-the-market', other women give you a wide berth and perversely this makes you less attractive to the missus. Always beware of your wife's best friends. How they see you will inform how she sees you. Especially watch out for your wife's newly divorced bestie as misery likes company & as sure as eggs are eggs, she'll be the one pouring poison in her ears.

Never assume women have the same concept of truth as you do. A woman may loathe you with a vengeance for years but never actually say so. Not vocalising the 'truth' is perversely not viewed by women as 'lying'. If you're finding your wife's behaviour, or what she says, making no sense to you, then assume there's a lot of unspoken stuff going on that one way or another, you're going to have to figure out.

If you're only getting your oats once a month & it's still okay, don't worry about it. If you're getting it more frequently but the kissing has stopped, start worrying! If you're not getting your wife off, it's almost certainly her fault but nevertheless, she will blame you! If she finds it hard to say 'the words', then it's a racing certainty that she doesn't anymore and you're already holed beneath the waterline.

At some stage you might have to face the fact that she never loved you (or even liked you!) in the first place & that you've totally wasted some of the best years of your life. Women get married for all sorts of reasons, not all of them honourable. If you're really, truly unlucky, you might find out that she genuinely herself doesn't know why she married you in the first place! This kind of thing really rocks you to your boots but if it's the truth, then painful as it is, you do need to embrace it because it makes sense of everything else looking backwards.

40 949 Read More
European and Import Motor Oils
09/20/18 05:15 PM
Ok thanks explained well . The article i read was wrong out of date or both .
5 72 Read More
Page 1 of 23 1 2 23
BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™