Gold wing oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone run the 15w30 Delo SD in their wing yet? Looks to me the 15w would shear less over time than 10w.

No reason why the 15W-30 wouldn't work just fine
in a Gold Wing.
I would point out that Rotella 5W-40 is very popular
with Wing owners.

My 2¢

I use Mobile Delvac 15w-40 conventional Diesel oil in my Goldwing and Suzuki Hayabusa. Worked great in both. Only UOA I did was this year after a 3500 mile round trip from Iowa, Colorado, Utah, Arizona and back to Iowa. UOA was great. Only notable section would be it sheared from the 40 weight to the high side of a 30 weight. Been using the Delvac in various bikes for close to 20 years and have been happy.
I have found for me personally, I do not like how the Rotella synthetic 5w-40 shears. Never had it tested but in less than 1000 miles, on any motorcycle I used it in, the shifting would become so notchy I had to change it out. I may be more sensitive to my shifts, I like to feel it snick into gear, not have to work at it to change into the next gear and sometimes feel it sort of hang up or mildly grind, only way I can describe the feeling. Just did not care for it.
Just my experience.

gold wings have some of the least wearing engines on the planet.
countless uoa's prove it.
i bet they could go 100,000 miles on pelican wiz and 4 drops of chicken fat

yes 15w30 should shear less than 10w30, but again i doubt i have seen many goldwing uoas that shows shear.

the less the spread - ie needing vii - the less chance of shear.

there are some winter weights that dont (ie very shear resistant) but almost all of the straight weights dont
i've tested sae30 with no shear and yet seen 15w50s and 20w50 drop out in under 5hrs.
oh this gives me another chance to bash castrol gtx 20w50 that fell to a high 30wt in my test of it.

but, all in all, a goldwing motor is more tolerant of its oil than the rider ever will be.
it is simply one heck of a motor

steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back