Honda Motorcycle Oil - No Energy Conserving Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a Honda Forza large Scooter 279cc,
Looking at the Owners Manual Honda says use 10W-30, do not use Energy Conserving oil.
I would like to use Mobil-1 5W-30, why don't Honda like energy conserving oils.
I know aviation oils won't leave deposit in aviation engines, automotive oil will.
I have heard, maybe, high mileage oils may affect rubber timing belts.

Cactus24
Pensylvania

Nice scooter!

If I remember right, Honda did some testing years ago and discovered automotive 10W30's with a lower HTHS than 3.5 cause certain parts in a motorcycles transmission to wear out prematurely. Yes, I know you don't have a sequential transmission nor a wet clutch like a lot of motorcycles do. But Honda feels that a scooter or motorcycle oil should be on the thick side of a 10W30. Many Euro auto makers are in the same camp for their vehicles regarding the HTHS number.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: endeavor to persevere
10W40 will work too. I have run it in Hondas and scooters with good success.

Yep. I run 10w40 in my Honda NC750 instead of the recommended 10w30 and it's great. Zero effect on fuel economy or power. The gear changes smoothed out remarkably, not that you'll have that issue with your scooter...

I ran inexpensive 15W-40 "diesel" oil in my 1999 Suzuki VZ800 Marauder for 84,000 miles. Thicker is better
smile.gif

I know they found more gear wear than they wanted, but the last figure I saw was either 2.9 or 2.7 cP.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

If I remember right, Honda did some testing years ago and discovered automotive 10W30's with a lower HTHS than 3.5 cause certain parts in a motorcycles transmission to wear out prematurely. Yes, I know you don't have a sequential transmission nor a wet clutch like a lot of motorcycles do. But Honda feels that a scooter or motorcycle oil should be on the thick side of a 10W30. Many Euro auto makers are in the same camp for their vehicles regarding the HTHS number.

It's a Honda, it will run forever on any 10/40. From $2.44 a Qt Walmart SuperTech 10W40 to the most expensive motorcycle specific 10/40 oil, it's your bike and your money. Me, I run M1 10/40 and with the rebate($12) I get a 5 Qt jug for $10.88 after the rebate. Have over 100k miles on my '98 1100

ROD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back