Castrol GTX 20w50 High Mileage Semi-Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am curious how this oil would do in air cooled bikes with some mileage on them?????

I should state....shared sump, which probably means a lot of quick shearing.

Castrol GTX 20w50 High Mileage Semi-Synthetic

Whats the general opinion of this oil??????

I am considering using this in my '04 BMW 1150 GS and in my wife's TTR230.

Last edited:
When I looked in VOA subforum....I was surprised how low on ZDDP are modern 20w50 oils....

I would expect that as sae50 they had ton of it...but they all had around 700-800 ppm...even Harley Davidson brand

I think you would be fine, dont worry about shearing, they all do in shared sumps and taken into account.

Im experimenting right now with Valvoline MAXLIFE 20w50 semi. I think Castrol is a good runner up.
Curious to see how it matches up with my go to favorite - Mystik 15w50 that I have been using the last 2 years in my non shared sump Road King..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
When I looked in VOA subforum....I was surprised how low on ZDDP are modern 20w50 oils....

I would expect that as sae50 they had ton of it...but they all had around 700-800 ppm...even Harley Davidson brand

More than likely, the blender will use a package of additives that will meet the specifications for all viscosity grades. So it'll meet the restrictions on the lower viscosity grades and they don't spend the money to top treat the higher grades with extra additives even though they are allowed to. It is all economics at that point and making as much/as cheap/as fast as possible.

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N

If you want high ZDDP in a 50 grade, try Valvoline VR1, Valvoline motorcycle oil, or Mobil 1 15W-50, they've all got over 1000ppm. For overkill, there's always Red Line with over 2000ppm.

I'm sure there are others as well, just a matter of finding them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back