Why my motor oil have both JASO MA2 / MB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duy

My motor oil have MA2 / MB on the label. Is it possible that an oil meet both JASO MA2 and MB ?

focus on the oil, please
frown.gif

I think those are his feet.
From lubrizol website....

"JASO MA lubricants are in fact suitable for all applications, MB lubricants may induce clutch slippage in motorcycles and must only be used in scooters."

Basically MA is for wet clutches.
MB is for non wet clutch such as cvt or separate gear boxes.

MB is basically meaningless I think almost any oil can meet MB

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brybo86

MB is basically meaningless I think almost any oil can meet MB

I dont think so.... Dont forget that JASO Mx means also to protect gearbox (shared sump!)

MB is energy conserving version of an MA

Unlike in the US, company is not going to be sued because they put anything that is not true on the label.

Are you sure that is a US products?

The website has not been updated for a long time. The product label has been changed from "semisynthetic" to "synthetic" since last year. But the recent change from MA-2 only to MA-2/MB is not easy to understand.

Is it possible that German manufacturer has a different way to define their products?

Originally Posted By: JMJNet
Unlike in the US, company is not going to be sued because they put anything that is not true on the label.

Are you sure that is a US products?

No, Wolver is from Germany

Originally Posted By: Duy
The website has not been updated for a long time. The product label has been changed from "semisynthetic" to "synthetic" since last year. But the recent change from MA-2 only to MA-2/MB is not easy to understand.

Is it possible that German manufacturer has a different way to define their products?

JASO is a standard rating and cannot be re-defined by region to the best of my knowledge.
This is some good reading:

http://www.mototribology.com/articles/jaso-explained-part-1/

Even using the latest 2016 criteria, I don't understand how it is possible to meet atleast one MB requirement while simultaneously meeting the three MA-2 requirements since there is no overlap in any of the 3 parameters.

Does your container actually show this square symbol? :

If not, then it is not actually JASO rated but might be an example of a product that only claims to "meet" the requirements...apparently a "Univeral" oil ?

Last edited:
There is no way for an oil to meet both MA and MB specifications simultaneously. It is either a misprint or a misrepresentation of the oil's performance.

As ArcticDriver pointed out (in such wonderfully made charts I might add) the two specifications are mutually exclusive of one another.

Aside from the MA2/MB errata, what exactly are the 'BMW - Piaggio - Honda - Yamaha' approvals?

And according to the spec sheet, viscosity at 100C is 17.4. Which means that it's supposed to be labeled a 50, not a 40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back