bathroom toilet leaking help

Hi, One of the toilets in the house has started leaking around the base. I've tightened it down As much as I can, however the lake persists. Would it be reasonable to apply a ring of silicone between the base and the floor or do I need to unbolt the toilet and replace whatever seal has failed.

Thank you

unbolt...most likely the wax ring is failing...but I would check the flange ,could be cracked ….are you sure the tank isn't leaking , running down to the floor , possibly in the back ?...

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Replace the wax ring.

This and inspect the toilet for any cracks while you have it up.

Wax ring time. Depending on how the floor flange is situated with the floor, you may have to go with a thicker wax ring. DO NOT over tighten the bolts, you will surely crack the toilet. If the ring has failed, tightening the base will not solve anything. Never put silicone on the ring or around the base to attempt to fix the leak, you will eventually ruin your floor.

Last edited:
Before you pull the toilet, check the thick rubber donut /gasket between the tank and the bowl for leakage. I've had 2 of those leak thru the years. It's a easy fix and you don't need to take the toilet off.,,,

Also go in the basement if you can and look under the toilet area for mold or other damage. About two years after our house was built I discovered a toilet where the plumber had partially rolled the ring during installation. The growth underneath was really something.

if you silicone around to stop a leak you will rot out your floor.

Tightening it up ill break the stool flange in the plumbing.

New wax ring.

I agree with everyone on the wax ring failure. Pull the toilet up, clean everything well and reinstall with a wax ring substitute. I did this about 8 years ago and no problems since. I avoid the normal wax ring myself. No matter what, its not a hard job.

And don't lift the toilet by the tank or you will have additional leaks. Lift the bowl and steady it maybe with holding tank.

You may need a thicker wax ring. Get the ring with a rubber insert that goes an inch or two down the sewer pipe.

First is to pull the toilet and inspect the toilet for cracks then the flange. As others have said check the tank to bowl and the tank bolts for leaks.

All gave good advice, re-read Lubener and Donald.

I've used wax rings and synthetic rings, I tend to go back to the wax ring with the rubber extension.

You can remove the toliet by yourself but you are going to need help putting it back straight! up and down, carefully, not tilting it.

You need to check the level of the toilet flange on the floor. If it's too deep, you'll need to add a plastic extension ring to raise it otherwise it will leak again. This is common when the floor has been tiled. Silicon will stop the leak from coming out on to the floor but won't stop the leak. It will run down the sides of the 4" sewer pipe to whatever is below, inside the wall, ceiling, ....

This time of year, I get condensation on the exterior of Tank and it drips to the floor.
But also check for leaks where the Tank bolts to the Base.

If no problems there, as other have said, time for a new Wax Ring

When reinstalling toilet with new wax ring check;
be sure the toilet has no rocking (sit flat).
If not hardware store has plastic shims to fix.
Rocking breaks wax seal.
Also top of toiler floor flange should sit approx. 3/16" to 1/4" above floor.
If its lower may need 2 wax ring or change out flange to proper height.

From my experience 2 weeks ago, we had the exact same water puddling around the base of my Mom's toilet. Since she's not living in the home anymore, I wondered how would it leak? It can't come from the bowl or the wax ring.

I drained the tank and came back next week to check and there was no leak. The rubber gaskets holding the screws in the tank were shot. Filled up with water and came back in a few hours and the floor was wet.

I would check the gaskets around the screws in the bottom of the tank first. Pulling that toilet up and replacing that wax ring is a real pain in the putooey.

Originally Posted by Kruse
They also make wax-free alternatives. The Fernco FTS-3 is one of them.

This in my opinion is the way to go ^^^^^^^^^^^

I may well be remembering this wrong but my good friend Scott who was a plumber did not use wax rings if he had the choice. . . He used the Fernco in every instance he could. He told me the was rings were ok but we're prone to leaking. Whereas the Fernco was far better not having that problem.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by FirstNissan
Hi, One of the toilets in the house has started leaking around the base. I've tightened it down As much as I can, however the lake persists. Would it be reasonable to apply a ring of silicone between the base and the floor....

As the majority have already noted, this is probably a failed wax ring. It's not a big deal - they wear out over time and need replaced. Two comments for your above statement:

1) Don't tighten the floor bolts down "as much as you can". Get them snug and no more. As also noted, it's easy to crack the base and if you do that, you'll be replacing the toilet along with a $8 wax ring.
2) Don't put a bead of silicone around the base. Yes, it makes it look prettier but it HIDES a failed wax ring. You won't know it's leaking - and it will leak for a long time - until your floor ends up "squishy" around the toilet or it leaks in the ceiling below the toilet (or in the basement, crawl space, etc). At most, put a bead halfway around (front only).

Back