Home

Resturant pricing up

Posted By: Eddie

Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 12:09 PM

Tired of eating TV dinners at home I decided to go to APPLEBEES here is Cape Coral, FL. I googled the price of the 6 oz steak with two side and it was the same $9.99 as always. then I went to the APPLEBEES web site to order and found it had increased to $14.99. I declined to order and question what were they thinking when the gouge like this. Ed
Posted By: Lubener

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 12:17 PM

Go look in the stores and see what meat is selling for, especially ground beef.By me ground beef is over $6 a pound. Stock up when you find a deal. Might be rice and beans for a while. Restaurants have to deal with it too.
Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 12:37 PM

What are they thinking? Survival.

Turn on the news once in a while. There's lots going on out there.
Posted By: thooks

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 12:41 PM

What are they thinking?

I think you should walk down the produce and fresh meat aisles on the way to the frozen foods section next time and take note of the prices on fresh food.
Posted By: Snagglefoot

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 12:46 PM

Our local pub prepares meals and sells them from the curb side. We try support them when we can. Also, I have a friend who owns a mini- brew in a small town north of Calgary. He is selling beer at the front door. They ran out of cans so people are bringing their own containers. It’s about supporting who you can. smile
Posted By: Chris142

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 12:54 PM

We got Denny's last night and my wife commented on how the prices had gone down.
Posted By: JHZR2

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 12:55 PM

Ive not seen pricing increases around here, but the restaurants we patronize are not chains, and are byob restaurants generally, so probably had some pricing/profit margin built in from the start.

If meat processing is diminished, it’s sensible that costs will rise. At the supermarket, there is an absence of deals in the meat department.
Posted By: Kira

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 01:02 PM

Order from a restaurant ITSELF.

Do not be so darn lazy to call Grub Hub or any other delivery platform. They don't need windfall business.

Restaurants need the business. DO NOT give 30% of it to Grub Hub or any other delivery service.

That's just me. I'm sure a Grub Hub stockholder will be along to call me a Commie or some such.
Posted By: Hall

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie
...and question what were they thinking when the gouge like this. Ed

Two things - check out the news (there's a big deal going that can't be mentioned here) and meat prices have went up for everyone. Have you bought more TV dinners recently and maybe checked the prices of beef, pork, chicken, etc ?
Posted By: pandus13

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 01:18 PM

The local Kroger has limited the sale of meat products to 1. Local Costco at least last week (a friend of a friend told me...)

Supplies issues.

Like others said, restaurants deal with this too.

Up to you if you want to help a local to you restaurant.

Or instead of TV dinner:

side1: mashed potatoes
-wash 4 medium sized potatoes
-peel them
-cut them in cubes
-pot + water + pinch of salt
-set boil to medium
-boil for about 15-20 minutes
-stop when fork inserted breaks cube in half
-drain "juice" in a bowl
option a - vegan: mash potatoes, add spread/margarine, add "boil juice" to your consistency likeness
option b - luxury heaven: mash potatoes, add 1/2 stick of butter, add warmed whole milk or half-n-half to your consistency likeness

side2: peas + carots
-see frozen section at wally/kroger/publix
-microwave for 1-2 minutes

main course: meat:
season with Montreal seasoning and drizzle a bit of oil. leave for at least 1/2 hour
heat pan on medium heat
sear/cook on one side 1-3 minutes
turn and same 1-3 minutes

big plate, drizzle some bbq sauce or mustard for effect, set meat + 2 dishes.
Enjoy!

Bonus: house is not on fire :P
Posted By: Donald

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 01:18 PM

A couple of Chinese restaurants nearby that offer take-out through a cutout in the front door no longer take credit cards and its exact cash only. They have rounded to nearest dollar. I wonder if they rounded up or down?
Posted By: opus1

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by thooks
What are they thinking?

I think you should walk down the produce and fresh meat aisles on the way to the frozen foods section next time and take note of the prices on fresh food.

^This.

When I was on my weekly shopping trip last Thursday, ground beef was over $6/lb. I paid almost half that two weeks ago.
Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 01:22 PM

With most restaurants closed, there should be plenty of meat products spoiling or aging somewhere.

Those good restaurant cuts usually never sold to Joe Grille

Also you don't REALLY want to eat at Applebee''s or Dennys anyhow.

At least Step up to Texas Road House or Outback or better yet - a non-chain - if the are any left in the suburbs.

If you have a microwave, Chef Bombay has great HALAL quality Indian frozen dinners that are a real treat like:

Tikka Masala or Murg Makhani or Buff Vindaloo It pretty much restaurant quality!

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
With most restaurants closed, there should be plenty of meat products spoiling or aging somewhere.

Those good restaurant cuts usually never sold to Joe Grille

One would think...I'm still baffled by seeing articles in the last week or two about farmers destroying eggs and other product because they can't sell it - in fact a local producer did a huge egg giveaway with a food bank last week otherwise they'd have to destroy them. Yet at the same time I was seeing zero eggs on the shelf at the store. I get that certain products are directed towards consumers and certain are directed towards restaurants and other institutions, but in all the time we've been doing the pandemic, *no one* could figure out a way to switch production lines? Same with TP. I've seen multiple commercials from the manufacturers about how they've ramped up production, but it wasn't until last Thursday that I finally saw some (and very little at that) on the shelf at Meijer.

It takes time to turn a large ship...but shouldn't it have turned by now?
Posted By: Gebo

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 01:35 PM

My last meat purchase from the butcher shocked me. Prices for beef is way up here. Don't know about the other meats as I have my pig in the freezer vacuum sealed. LOL

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Donald
A couple of Chinese restaurants nearby that offer take-out through a cutout in the front door no longer take credit cards and its exact cash only.

That's odd or different than every place I've seen around here. Here, places are only accepting debit/credit card payments and not taking cash or checks.
Posted By: Quattro Pete

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 02:06 PM

If the meat plants are not working, it means there are dead animals lying somewhere and rotting away.

https://www.minnpost.com/greater-mi...rce-hog-farmers-to-put-down-200000-pigs/
Posted By: Ws6

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 02:08 PM

Tired of eating TV dinners at home I decided to go to APPLEBEES here is Cape Coral, FL. I googled the price of the 6 oz steak with two side and it was the same $9.99 as always. then I went to the APPLEBEES web site to order and found it had increased to $14.99. I declined to order and question what were they thinking when the gouge like this. Ed

Why aren't you cooking?
Posted By: Dwight_Frye

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 02:22 PM

I have seen reports of restaurants adding a "Covid-19" surcharge onto the checks. This is a brainless idea and really irritates me. Just like when they added a minimum wage increase surcharge. Spelling out such charges smacks of making some kind of political statement.

If the restaurants need to make more profit to cover wage increases or supply increases, just raise the menu prices. Chances are that many people won't remember what the prices were last time, or if dining out is looking to be too expensive, will cut back on such activities.

When a burger, fries and a soft drink started to exceed $9.00 at many fast food restaurants due to having to pay unrealistic minimum wages, I severely curtailed buying fast food. Like from once a week to once every 6 months. Probably a healthier decision too.

What do you want to bet that a large majority of restaurants won't lower their prices once the supply prices return to normal ?

Posted By: Alfred_B

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 03:02 PM

There's a big shortage of meats so it's not surprising that the cost is being transferred to the customer. The number of the covers is down, too while the expenses have remained similar so the per unit cost is up as well.
Posted By: MNgopher

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 03:47 PM

The products are spoiling - the live animals are being euthanized and disposed of as the processing plants to butcher them are being closed or significantly slowed down due to the current pandemic.

As an example, a large hog processing facility in the state had roughly 1/3rd of its employees test positive for COVID-19. The plant in normal times processes 21,000 hogs a day. No, that is not a typo.

Shut the plant down, where do the finished hogs go in the meantime? They are taking up the space in the barn where the younger piglets would start filling. As the hogs get too big, they are no longer easy to process - these plants are designed for animals in a typical size range. The solution is to euthanize the older hogs, and dispose of them.

But divert the animals to a local butcher so they don't go to waste I hear. Sounds like a great idea, except butchers here are booked out to July at this point, and they don't have the capacity to pick up 20+ thousand hogs a day, multiplied by multiple plants...

Thus the current decreases in stock (much less is backfilling what we are using) and changes in pricing.

The same is happening in other meat lines - even Wendy's is running out of beef in some locations.

We've changed so much of our manufacturing and processing to be just in time and keyed in to certain supply lines. When things were setup for institutional delivery, suppliers can't turn on a dime and individually cut and pack to consumer level packing like that... A farmer I know only has packaging and equipment for potatoes for institutional and restaurant users - what home consumer wants 50 lb bags of potatoes?

Countless examples of this across the industry...
Posted By: Bud

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 03:49 PM

Simple for me. If the price is too high, I just don't buy.
Posted By: Danno

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 04:00 PM

TP here has been plentiful for about a month. Have seen some supply chain gaps in meat the past few weeks, but when shopping on Saturday everything was available... to overflowing.
I don't think consumer goods supply chains will stabilize for quite a while.
Posted By: SeaJay

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 04:01 PM

Restaurants, like other businesses can't lose money on their products and try to make it up with volume.
Posted By: madRiver

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 04:09 PM

The business model of Apple bees was cheap food however the add-ons like drinks, side and deserts bring in the money. $9.99 specials worked when world dined in.

The google may be have dated information on the special. Applebees pricing is what it is on site. That $5 "extra" I doubt they keeping afloat. The take out is paying some bills but not making anyone rich,

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Danno

I don't think consumer goods supply chains will stabilize for quite a while.

+1 It will take a while and many suppliers may shrivel in the interim.It takes time to restart and replace missing pieces in supply chain.
Posted By: SevenBizzos

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 04:22 PM

The wholesale prices of all meats have skyrocketed. They sent out a letter stating to expect the availability to "become scarce". This started with beef and then moved over to poultry when demand shifted.

This is likely to move to produce as well partially due to demand and new protocols in picking and packing.

So, expect this to continue. I know just today I noticed 85/15 ground beef well over $5/lb at retail, but it was available.
Posted By: thooks

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 04:37 PM

I started to say earlier that I was surprised there was an Applebee's still open and operating.
Posted By: DuckRyder

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 04:48 PM

Just WOW... <SMH>
Posted By: bdcardinal

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 04:51 PM

The one on Del Prado? Been there a bunch of times. So what happens a lot is Google will show an old menu where there pricing isn't updated. Same thing happens with some of the food delivery apps, especially when the restaurant in question does not sign up for the service, but the service adds them on their own.
Posted By: Mr Nice

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 05:00 PM

Every business is struggling with money right now.

I'd buy the $14.99 dinner if the quality was the same and I really liked the taste.
Posted By: hatt

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by SevenBizzos

The wholesale prices of all meats have skyrocketed. They sent out a letter stating to expect the availability to "become scarce". This started with beef and then moved over to poultry when demand shifted.

This is likely to move to produce as well partially due to demand and new protocols in picking and packing.

So, expect this to continue. I know just today I noticed 85/15 ground beef well over $5/lb at retail, but it was available.

Hamburger tubes are $4.29/lb at GFS right now. That's a little high for me so I won't be eating much hamburger until prices head back down. Chicken is still about regular price.
Posted By: Wolf359

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dwight_Frye
I have seen reports of restaurants adding a "Covid-19" surcharge onto the checks. This is a brainless idea and really irritates me. Just like when they added a minimum wage increase surcharge. Spelling out such charges smacks of making some kind of political statement.

If the restaurants need to make more profit to cover wage increases or supply increases, just raise the menu prices. Chances are that many people won't remember what the prices were last time, or if dining out is looking to be too expensive, will cut back on such activities.

When a burger, fries and a soft drink started to exceed $9.00 at many fast food restaurants due to having to pay unrealistic minimum wages, I severely curtailed buying fast food. Like from once a week to once every 6 months. Probably a healthier decision too.

What do you want to bet that a large majority of restaurants won't lower their prices once the supply prices return to normal ?

It's only political if you make it so. I don't even pay that much attention to the check, just pay what ever the total is. Some people want explanations. This is the same as the fuel surcharge for packages when the price of oil was up.

And yes, I think OP missed the fact that costs are up and fewer people are going out so it'd make sense if the prices went up. Part of profits is volume. Plus I guess maybe some staff are thinking they're risking their life for minimum wage to be on the front line so to speak and they didn't sign up for that. Probably why some places like grocery stores are paying extra and offering bonuses.

As for those that don't lower their prices. It's called competition, let's see how much business they get with the higher prices and everyone else lowering their prices.
Posted By: bbhero

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Ive not seen pricing increases around here, but the restaurants we patronize are not chains, and are byob restaurants generally, so probably had some pricing/profit margin built in from the start.

If meat processing is diminished, it’s sensible that costs will rise. At the supermarket, there is an absence of deals in the meat department.

Great point ^^^^^

I'm lucky though... Seriously..

7 stores within 6 miles of me... And Harris Teeter had NY strip steaks in sale for $24 for 6 beautiful steaks... Not too shabby...

And... HT is now selling Prime graded ground beef... Yeah it's $5.99 a pound... But it makes AWESOME burgers and burger in pasta... Worth every penny smile
Posted By: bbhero

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by Dwight_Frye

It's only political if you make it so. I don't even pay that much attention to the check, just pay what ever the total is. Some people want explanations. This is the same as the fuel surcharge for packages when the price of oil was up.

And yes, I think OP missed the fact that costs are up and fewer people are going out so it'd make sense if the prices went up. Part of profits is volume. Plus I guess maybe some staff are thinking they're risking their life for minimum wage to be on the front line so to speak and they didn't sign up for that. Probably why some places like grocery stores are paying extra and offering bonuses.

As for those that don't lower their prices. It's called competition, let's see how much business they get with the higher prices and everyone else lowering their prices.

It IS a statement Wolf.... And that business person is making it.... Not smart in my opinion.

Though... I do have to say if people like the idea of paying people $15+ an hour... That cost is passed on to the customer.... Someone has to pay for it at the end if the day.

I rarely eat out in a restaurant... Because I can make doggone good food at home.

Though when I go out I do tip quite well... 30-50 percent on average... I appreciate people working and working hard in a restaurant.
Posted By: Eddie

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 06:03 PM

You gave me something to consider and I may have over reacted. Thanks. Ed
Posted By: aquariuscsm

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 06:37 PM

I started to say earlier that I was surprised there was an Applebee's still open and operating.

Me too,Applebee’s is absolutely disgusting.

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 06:46 PM

I think many restaurants and chains are getting that push over the cliff. Many operate on the brink on good days borrowing there way along.

Except about 25% less bars and restuarants places once this all settles out. I am just hopeful the local great ones survive it.

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm

The chains are more likely to survive as they have easier access to capital, but I won't be surprised if some of them go under as some have loaded up on too much debt. All those local restaurants may go under as they still have overhead to pay such as rent that may not get discounted and they may never be able to make it up.

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 06:50 PM

Friday I bought a HUGE beautiful marbled chuck roast for almost nothing at heb. Grabbed a bag of fresh carrots.some russets,and portobellos. Made a pot roast that melts in your mouth!

Then Sunday ate out at one of our favorite Chinese restaurants. Their prices have actually come down a few dollars. And they totally pile the food on your plate. Super friendly staff and the owners always come to our table and talk to us.

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 06:54 PM

The chains are more likely to survive as they have easier access to capital, but I won't be surprised if some of them go under as some have loaded up on too much debt. All those local restaurants may go under as they still have overhead to pay such as rent that may not get discounted and they may never be able to make it up.

Yeah those corporate chains have the capital to back them up. Gf had to meet with one of her clients there one night who’s divorce she was working to get some papers signed. I’d gotten a chicken fried steak and it was so awful I took it home to put outside to feed the raccoons that come around.
Posted By: Hermann

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 07:18 PM

Don't know about you folks but after 4 attempts to order pickup or delivery from several places to support them. Every price has been inflated. Even weeks ago before the meat shortages began. Not only that but only 1 of these meals was fit to eat. My Chipotle $18 in the door Burrito Bowl including tip was unfit to eat. Even though the tip was on the ticket, the delivery drivers had his hand out for more. Jeez.

Went to the best BBQ joint in Kansas City (IMO). Have eaten there for 20 years and the Brisket I received, about 2/3 of it was OK but it looked like they reached in the trash for the rest of it. It was sliced with the grain, had the gross fat and veins between the two parts of the brisket. It was just gross.

Tonight I am having homemade Fajitas made with beef tenderloin tails instead of going to a restaurant and not getting shafted again.

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 07:23 PM

ooops

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bud

My new plan!
Posted By: PimTac

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by opus1
What are they thinking?

^This.

When I was on my weekly shopping trip last Thursday, ground beef was over $6/lb. I paid almost half that two weeks ago.

Its $7 and $8 a pound here in WA state plus they have limits on what you can buy.
Posted By: Jackson_Slugger

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 07:30 PM

LOL the first thought in your head to order out was Applebees? Really?

I feel bad going to Applebees for free on Vet's day!

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Hermann
Don't know about you folks but after 4 attempts to order pickup or delivery from several places to support them. Every price has been inflated. Even weeks ago before the meat shortages began. Not only that but only 1 of these meals was fit to eat. My Chipotle $18 in the door Burrito Bowl including tip was unfit to eat. Even though the tip was on the ticket, the delivery drivers had his hand out for more. Jeez.

Went to the best BBQ joint in Kansas City (IMO). Have eaten there for 20 years and the Brisket I received, about 2/3 of it was OK but it looked like they reached in the trash for the rest of it. It was sliced with the grain, had the gross fat and veins between the two parts of the brisket. It was just gross.

Tonight I am having homemade Fajitas made with beef tenderloin tails instead of going to a restaurant and not getting shafted again.

It's one reason I don't do delivery. Cold food doesn't taste as good as hot food and even if you get take out and eat it in your car, it's still not as good as eating inside when you can eat it hot when it's ready.

Either they're real busy or not busy and the food quality has gone down.

Delivery driver was probably an Uber/Lyft driver that doesn't have any business anymore. Probably thinks that they're risking their life for take out and want to be compensated. I wouldn't blame him for wanting an extra tip and I don't blame you for not.

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bud

But, but, but... the American dream! If the price is too high, you buy it on credit. smile

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 07:43 PM

Then Sunday ate out at one of our favorite Chinese restaurants. Their prices have actually come down a few dollars. And they totally pile the food on your plate. Super friendly staff and the owners always come to our table and talk to us.

Lucky for you. Around here, restaurants can only provide takeout/delivery. No dine-in.

Posted By: Bogdon

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 07:46 PM

Might be rice and beans for a while.

After cooked (I do the boil in bag route), I put the rice in an olive oiled pan, mixing the rice with low salt soy sauce and mustard (preferably Chinese, with spicy brown as a number two choice), topped and mixed with Heinz beans and some ketchup.

Will periodically mix some kielbasa and/or chicken breast with it as well.

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 07:50 PM

I haven't noticed any "price increases". If anything, there are a lot of places offering take out deals. You had to order ahead unfortunately, but there was a lot of local BBQ places offering big Mother's Day packages for $65-150 depending on how many you wanted to feed. There's a couple places if I really wanted to glutton, I could order wings, roast beef sandwiches, and a burger (between two and four meals worth) for maybe $20-25. That often includes a couple beers...
Posted By: supton

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 10:25 PM

I think the prices went up a bit, but I was hardly surprised. We've been keeping it to once a month, if that, for going out. But with the pandemic we though, hey, it keeps some money local, so for 2-3 weeks we ordered in once/week. After seeing the last bill I think I'm going to head back to the old plan and keep it to maybe once a month--it's a good place but I was reminded what I don't go to that one on a regular basis.
Posted By: Pluckster

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 10:55 PM

Pretty simple really. Less meat supply as packing plants struggle, plus they probably had to raise prices to make up for lost revenue on top of that. I'd expect meat prices to be up for a while. $15 doesn't sound to unreasonable to me anyway, but I don't go to Applebees often.
Posted By: AC1DD

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 10:57 PM

If folks think this is bad now, wait for another few months or so, it's only going to get worse from here on out.

Serious meat shortages will continue, even as those processing plants were forced to stay open they will be affected again, and they will have to shut their doors again soon.

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 11:39 PM

80% of our meat supply is by 2 companies according to a 🦊 News report so I highly doubt we will see the prices come down any time soon.

It's the right time to become a vegetarian.

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/11/20 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by MNgopher
The products are spoiling - the live animals are being euthanized and disposed of as the processing plants to butcher them are being closed or significantly slowed down due to the current pandemic.

As an example, a large hog processing facility in the state had roughly 1/3rd of its employees test positive for COVID-19. The plant in normal times processes 21,000 hogs a day. No, that is not a typo.

Shut the plant down, where do the finished hogs go in the meantime? They are taking up the space in the barn where the younger piglets would start filling. As the hogs get too big, they are no longer easy to process - these plants are designed for animals in a typical size range. The solution is to euthanize the older hogs, and dispose of them.
Many people don't fathom the scale of meat production in this country but you broke it down quite well. Reality is, meat processors operate like automakers with "just in time" inventory or delivery of the "parts" that they need. Yes, they process parts now, not animals. They have been bred to a very specific size, weight, texture, etc. When those conditions are out of spec, they're scrapped.

But divert the animals to a local butcher so they don't go to waste I hear. Sounds like a great idea, except butchers here are booked out to July at this point, and they don't have the capacity to pick up 20+ thousand hogs a day, multiplied by multiple plants...

I'm not sure about beef and pork, but if it's like poultry, the farmers don't own them. They are owned by companies like Tyson, JBS, Smithfield, and so on and the farmers are simply contractors and they raise them. So, the farmers can't divert them to local butchers or smaller slaughterhouses. The big corporations would rather scrap them and write off the losses.

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/12/20 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
I'm not sure about beef and pork, but if it's like poultry, the farmers don't own them. They are owned by companies like Tyson, JBS, Smithfield, and so on and the farmers are simply contractors and they raise them. So, the farmers can't divert them to local butchers or smaller slaughterhouses. The big corporations would rather scrap them and write off the losses.

They basically have no choice but to scrap them and write them off. They've squeezed out so much inefficiency that when the plant is down, there's no excess capacity to spin up another plant. It takes years to build a plant. And there's about 50 plants that do about 98% of the beef out there. Shut down a few and there's no where else to go.

This use to happen in the oil business too, they used to be at maximum refinery utilization such that a fire at just one refinery would drive up prices everywhere.
Posted By: MNgopher

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/12/20 04:06 AM

There have been stories on poultry (both for eggs and for chicken) where the company owns the animals and has come and euthanized them. The stories here on pork have been more along the lines where farmers have contracts to deliver pigs, but appear to still own them and are selling them where able... May not apply to all the animals, but...

Regardless, folks appear to have very little understanding of the "factory" nature of the meatpacking these days - just like modern widget plants - just in time delivery and little room for disruption. Works OK when an isolated plant here or there goes down, but when a large chunk of the industry is affected, the lack of excess capacity and slack doesn't work so well. But hey, cheap meat right?
Posted By: dlundblad

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/12/20 09:30 AM

Gouging is happening to make up for lost business. A local beauty salon is now charging $10 more on a men’s haircut.

I’m sure food wise, the increased price is from increased food prices as well.
Posted By: alarmguy

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/12/20 11:51 AM

Supply and demand, just like gasoline. Beef prices through the roof. Supply chain disruptions and hoarding in supermarkets are creating nationwide shortages. Just like toilet paper. :o)
Its not gouging, its a free market, we live in a free country. Applebees can charge whatever the marketplace will pay and you have the option of not eating there.

Gotta love when people complain about the price of something because they dont feel like cooking their own food ... *LOL* and dont want to pay the price someone else will charge them.
Posted By: 4WD

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/12/20 01:23 PM

I have not seen any steak lately that was not around $10/pound …
And if you want any … best grab a couple even if not your favorite cut or marbled just right …
(because there is lots of white porcelain showing in the coolers) …
Posted By: Astro14

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/12/20 01:43 PM

It’s not gouging if the supply is low (it is) and demand is the same.

Don’t like the price? Don’t buy the item. Take out from Applebee’s isn’t a necessity, it’s a luxury.

Restaurants have seen business drop by 80-90%, even with takeout. I’d cut them some slack at the moment.

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/12/20 01:49 PM

I still do take out at my local mom and pop restaurants.

I don't mind paying more if the quality of food remains the same.
Posted By: PandaBear

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/12/20 05:33 PM

Hmm, $9.99 hasn't been around since who knows when here. I'm not sure if they are dine in price or only take out now in your area, but there are a few things you need to look at now:

1) Food prices went up like crazy, especially meat, due to outbreak at meat packing plants.
2) Extra work to get the logistic across, people need to keep distance and slow down the work, that increase cost.
3) Dollar devaluation due to all the money printing we have now in the Fed. This means they are now cheap when you sell food oversea.
4) Restaurants cost increase or they will shut, and they do shut down, so the survivors decided to stay open and charge more, because they still can't cover the cost.
5) You are no longer buying drinks dining in, so they figure you have to pay more because they can't afford to lose money on the $9.99 steak if you don't buy a $3 drink and leave a $2 tip.
Posted By: PandaBear

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/12/20 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Gouging is happening to make up for lost business. A local beauty salon is now charging $10 more on a men’s haircut.

I’m sure food wise, the increased price is from increased food prices as well.

You can't give me a haircut even for free right now. I'd rather have long and messy hair than taking a chance going to a barber / saloon now.

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/12/20 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by 4WD
And if you want any … best grab a couple even if not your favorite cut or marbled just right …

A chuck roast was $8.99 a pound at the store this morning.

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/12/20 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by 4WD

A chuck roast was $8.99 a pound at the store this morning.

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/12/20 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
I still do take out at my local mom and pop restaurants.

I don't mind paying more if the quality of food remains the same.

Same here … many, many days it’s been lunch in the truck at a couple places (can’t support them all) and then something on the bbq in the evening depending on what’s in the mostly empty coolers …
Good smoke even makes chicken delicious

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/12/20 07:40 PM

Talking about BBQ, I was at Salt Lick near Buda, TX and the food was great.

Super gigantic parking lot for weddings and big parties, etc...

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/12/20 08:37 PM

Great place … a week ago (on way to San Antonio) I cut over to the famous Luling City Market … missed not being able to go inside … but another great meal in the pickup shaded by a Live Oak … 😷

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/12/20 09:17 PM

Announced on the news yesterday, Steak 'n Shake is closing almost (60) locations. Not sure where all they have locations but they're based in Indianapolis and there are quite a few restaurants all around here. So even the 'bigger' chains aren't immune.

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/12/20 10:54 PM

Announced on the news yesterday, Steak 'n Shake is closing almost (60) locations. Not sure where all they have locations but they're based in Indianapolis and there are quite a few restaurants all around here. So even the 'bigger' chains aren't immune.

Wendy's stores ran out of ground beef a couple of weeks ago....I truly don't think most people know how dire things are going to get in the next six months.
The fast food industry is going to shrink dramatically. Most of the lower priced dine in places will probably go out of business entirely.

People are really losing their minds now about minor things. It will be ugly at the same time next year.

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/12/20 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by AC1DD

Wendy's stores ran out of ground beef a couple of weeks ago....I truly don't think most people know how dire things are going to get in the next six months.

People are really losing their minds now about minor things. It will be ugly at the same time next year.

Call me an optimist but I think by this time next year we should have a vaccine. I'm going to guess that there will be a good candidate in a few months and there'll be emergency authorization for its use. But no one wants to jinx anything in case the data isn't there. With 8 in various phases, one or two of them will probably work out. But maybe that's just the optimist in me.

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/12/20 11:07 PM

Wolf,

Doesn't the CV mutate ?
If so, how effective will the vaccine be to the various strains of CV ?

The country has to reopen hopefully soon.

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/12/20 11:13 PM

Wolf,

Doesn't the CV mutate ?

It'll be like the flu vaccine - you'll have to get a shot every year, and even then, it may only be 50% effective. It will not be a magic cure.

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/12/20 11:37 PM

Doesn't the CV mutate ?

No different than the regular flu shot. It's an educated guess on the strains that it provides antibodies for.

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/13/20 12:17 AM

CV is mutating, but it's a very slow rate of mutation from everything I've read...

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/13/20 12:24 AM

Call me an optimist but I think by this time next year we should have a vaccine. I'm going to guess that there will be a good candidate in a few months and there'll be emergency authorization for its use. But no one wants to jinx anything in case the data isn't there. With 8 in various phases, one or two of them will probably work out. But maybe that's just the optimist in me.

The Oxford (University) Group was hoping to have something as soon as this September, with trials this summer. They've claimed that their vaccine prevented infection of Rhesus Monkeys bombarded with CV19...

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/13/20 12:33 AM

Wendy's stores ran out of ground beef a couple of weeks ago....I truly don't think most people know how dire things are going to get in the next six months...

II don't think they "ran out". They deleted some menu items, but should be noted that Wendy's ran low because they use "Fresh, not frozen beef", unlike McD and BK...
Posted By: zzyzzx

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/13/20 12:51 AM

what home consumer wants 50 lb bags of potatoes?

The way people have been hoarding stuff lately, probably a lot.

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/13/20 01:00 AM

Wolf,

Doesn't the CV mutate ?

The mutation is very minor. They've examined several strains of it and none of it seems like its too far off so a vaccine should still work. Unknowns are the dosages. If you look at the clinical trials of one of the phase 1 studies, they're testing 3 dosages, a 25 mcg, 100 mcg and 250 mcg across 3 different age groups.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04283461

And maybe contract tracing will keep the infection rates down. There's a free online course about it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...rmy-contact-tracers-you-can-take-it-too/

https://www.coursera.org/learn/covid-19-contact-tracing
Posted By: Jarlaxle

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/13/20 11:40 PM

The fast food industry is going to shrink dramatically. Most of the lower priced dine in places will probably go out of business entirely.

This could ruin EVERY independent restaurant in the country. No, that is not hyperbole. They run on razor-thin margins...and two or three MONTHS closed will kill most of them.

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/13/20 11:40 PM

Wolf,

Doesn't the CV mutate ?

There are no vaccines for any coronavirus. There will be no vaccine for this one.

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/13/20 11:48 PM

Lots of small businesses will go under.

It’s not easy to own and run a restaurant with thin profit margins.

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/14/20 12:26 AM

Lots of small businesses will go under.

It’s not easy to own and run a restaurant with thin profit margins.

True enough, I can't solve their problems but my thoughts and prayers go out to anyone that operates an honest small business today. I can't imagine how hard it will be to operate any public facing business in the future.

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/14/20 12:49 AM

Well... one of the local coffee shops just closed their doors, between the issues of figuring out spacing and then the various liabilities, they decided... no more. frown

I'm starting to think this is only the beginning. frown

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/12/investing/jobs-coronavirus-consumer-spending-debt/index.html

Americans are slashing their spending, hoarding cash and shrinking their credit card debt as they fear their jobs could disappear during the coronavirus pandemic.

US credit card debt suddenly reversed course in March and fell by the largest percentage in more than 30 years. At the same time, savings rates climbed to levels unseen since Ronald Reagan was in the White House.

The dramatic shifts in consumer behavior reflect the unprecedented turmoil in the US economy caused by the pandemic. Although caution is a logical response to that uncertainty, hunkering down also poses a risk to the recovery in an economy dominated by consumer spending. A so-called V-shaped recovery can't happen if consumers are sitting on the sidelines.

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/14/20 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Wolf,

Doesn't the CV mutate ?

There are no vaccines for any coronavirus. There will be no vaccine for this one.

There's only a few coronavirus out there which is why this is called sars-cov2. Normally vaccines take 10-20 years to make. After SARS went away, they never finished work on a vaccine. In theory had that happened, it might have worked for this one. But that's short term thinking for you. It's actually part of the reason why they've been able to work on it so quickly so to speak, a lot of it had been in the pipeline but was abandoned so they were able to pick up where they had stopped before. The mRNA one looks good, but there's never been an mRNA vaccine on the market.

Also technically you're wrong, there IS a vaccine now. That's the one in testing. Will there be a safe and effective one that can be widely deployed? Well, that's the unknown.

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/14/20 03:54 AM

[quote=Wolf359]

. Even if there was something you'd be getting dozens of shots every year and they would kill you instead.

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/14/20 05:06 AM

[quote=Wolf359]

. Even if there was something you'd be getting dozens of shots every year and they would kill you instead.

I'm not sure what this means or what you were trying to imply. I don't know of any vaccine that has a 100% death rate that's been deployed. A typical stage 3 trial takes about a year, but in theory that could be cut short through an emergency authorization. There's already about 16k people who've signed up for challenge trials where part of the testing would be deliberate infection. Cowards need not apply I guess.

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/14/20 05:37 AM

My full post got cut off somehow,

I was referring to the fact that with all the mutations already present of this you could never make one that will protect you against all of them, you'd need dozens of shots every year.

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/14/20 07:05 AM

My full post got cut off somehow,

I was referring to the fact that with all the mutations already present of this you could never make one that will protect you against all of them, you'd need dozens of shots every year.

I don't think you understand the mutations. For this particular virus, the mutations are minor and one vaccine will probably work on it. It basically doesn't mutate as much as the flu. But I suppose there's always the possibility it could.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/what-to-know-about-mutation-and-covid-19#The-bottom-line

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...onavirus-mutations-tell-us-idUSKBN22J1HC

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/05/12/science.abc5312
Posted By: ZeeOSix

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/14/20 07:48 AM

CV may take off and mutate at a higher rate when it's being attacked by antibodies. Viruses are evil.

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/14/20 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
CV may take off and mutate at a higher rate when it's being attacked by antibodies. Viruses are evil.

True, but then wouldn't that just join all the other viruses out there?

Isn't this a bit like when smallpox et al came over to the New World? Entire populations wiped out--but the carriers were (mostly) immune to the diseases having already gone them them multiple times. After a while, immunity is acquired (in a very non-desirable way). So, if this is just like prior viruses, well, I'm not sure I'm too worried. Between the promises of vaccines and the promise of treatments, I think it's more of a waiting game.

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/14/20 02:05 PM

There is such a thing called Vaccine Interference. It is possible to get a vaccine, like a flu vaccine, and become vulnerable to SARS-COV-2 virus.

So one must be careful about decisions about self.

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/14/20 02:26 PM

IIRC, those locations were closed prior to the pandemic due to some restructuring, but corporate is now deciding not to reopen them. Same end result but this has been coming and the current situation just accelerated the end. And based on the location near my house, I can't say I'm surprised. The only times I've visited lately have been during the shake happy-hour to get a shake-fix. The last time I actually ate there I was underwhelmed. And I hate to see that happening.

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/14/20 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Again, if you read the articles, it's not quite working the way you think. There are certain vaccines like MMR which have been around a long time and the diseases haven't mutated in a long time so that the old one still effective today. They're designing the vaccine to target the spike and so far mutations haven't affected that part of the virus so that's why they think it'll be good for a while.

Originally Posted by supton
Isn't this a bit like when smallpox et al came over to the New World? Entire populations wiped out--but the carriers were (mostly) immune to the diseases having already gone them them multiple times. After a while, immunity is acquired (in a very non-desirable way). So, if this is just like prior viruses, well, I'm not sure I'm too worried. Between the promises of vaccines and the promise of treatments, I think it's more of a waiting game.

It's how the Spanish flu ended. After a year or two, it died out. Basically once about 70% of the population had it, it stopped spreading. But an estimated 50-100 million died. I guess this one will be the same, there are official numbers and unofficial estimated numbers because only those tested get counted in official numbers but you have higher than normal death rates overall and many deaths were never tested.

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/24/20 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Wolf,

Doesn't the CV mutate ?

There's only a few coronavirus out there which is why this is called sars-cov2. Normally vaccines take 10-20 years to make. After SARS went away, they never finished work on a vaccine. In theory had that happened, it might have worked for this one. But that's short term thinking for you. It's actually part of the reason why they've been able to work on it so quickly so to speak, a lot of it had been in the pipeline but was abandoned so they were able to pick up where they had stopped before. The mRNA one looks good, but there's never been an mRNA vaccine on the market.

Also technically you're wrong, there IS a vaccine now. That's the one in testing. Will there be a safe and effective one that can be widely deployed? Well, that's the unknown.

About 25% of colds are coronaviruses.
Posted By: CT8

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/24/20 03:47 PM

Applebees isn't much different from TV dinners.

Re: Resturant pricing up - 05/24/20 08:25 PM

30% off Uber Eats with $30 purchase.

Code: MEMORIALDAY30
© 2020 Bob Is The Oil Guy