Reported a bad driver to the regional Police

JC1

I was heading home from my MIL house this afternoon. My 17 year old son was driving back home when all of a sudden some idiot in a Mazda three passed us doing approx 50 mph. Local road is 30mph and lower if it's near the park. The guy used no blinkers and this is a single lane on a busier north-south street. He went and did the same move 200 ft ahead of us. I told my son to speed up so I could get a pic of his license plate.

I have a dash cam, so it caught the whole thing. My son being the teenager hung his head out the window to comment. I told my son to follow the guy. The reason I do it, is that people who live on side streets are the main culprits for speeding and I wanted to see where this bozo lived. There are lots of people and kids that walk and use their bikes on these main roads and there is no excuse to drive over 40 MPH to get anywhere in these neighbourhoods.

After a few blocks he went back south. He realized that we were following him. He decides to stop roll down his window and says you shouldn't be following people to their houses. I said well you aren't driving properly and you are going to get reported. He says call the cops. I said yes I will. We left the scene first.

Went to visit the police website. They have an online reporting system and said if the driver gets two reports, then they will contact them. I typed up the report and submitted it. Glad to do that. I hope he learns to slow down or gets reported soon.

Originally Posted by dishdude
So you thought the guy was driving too fast so you had your 17 yo son chase him down and follow him?

We didn't chase him down, we got a little faster to get to the stop light. He slowed down in the next neighborhood which is where we live. My son made a comment when the guy fully stopped at the stop sign. The speed limit is 40 km/h (25) mph. He was easily doing twice that in a residential area.

It was ok in his mind to speed on a road he doesn't live on, but how dare I follow him to his house. LMAO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mainia
50 in a 30, I wouldn't. 70 in a 30 I would.

It wasn't just the speed, he was swerving around 2 cars on a solid line in a residental neighborhood. Wasn't like he was on a country road. He gained nothing. Guy was probably 30 years old.

Too many people do this because they don't live on these streets. A few months back some young chick was trying to pass me on the right (the street is wide) but has a bike lane. When she made her right turn on red to the main street, she thought she could beat a dump truck and he almost made her 4 door a 2 door car.

Originally Posted by JC1
Originally Posted by Mainia
50 in a 30, I wouldn't. 70 in a 30 I would.

It wasn't just the speed, he was swerving around 2 cars on a solid line in a residental neighborhood. Wasn't like he was on a country road. He gained nothing. Guy was probably 30 years old.

Too many people do this because they don't live on these streets. A few months back some young chick was trying to pass me on the right (the street is wide) but has a bike lane. When she made her right turn on red to the main street, she thought she could beat a dump truck and he almost made her 4 door a 2 door car.

Considering what you've mentioned your reporting that driver seems reasonable. Especially if you have peds crossing the streets there.

Originally Posted by Bluestream
Leave it alone, its not that big a crime and you cant prove his speed. The police have bigger fish to fry right now

I hear you, I have the dash cam video. Speeding is up, go figure people can't get to where they shouldn't be. I think OPP reported speeding incidents are up over 500% since the pandemic.

As someone who is a avid scanner listener these calls are placed nightly 5 to 10 times easily on Friday Saturday night you hear it all and everyone thinks they're Wyay Earp with a cell phone

Well, be careful

Around here that could result in you being shot by the alleged perp or even arrested for stalking and it very well could stick.

Not only that, if he got hurt possibly civil penalties as well.

Reporting is one thing but pursuit is another and depending on the jurisdiction and you not being a LEO that can make you the bad guy real quick as most good Samaritan laws and citizens arrest statutes only allow for action for a felony.

But you have a different set of laws there.

Those darn Mazda3 drivers.
Wouldn't trust them further than I could throw 'em!
06.gif

Originally Posted by ABN_CBT_ENGR
Well, be careful

Around here that could result in you being shot by the alleged perp or even arrested for stalking and it very well could stick.

Not only that, if he got hurt possibly civil penalties as well.

Reporting is one thing but pursuit is another and depending on the jurisdiction and you not being a LEO that can make you the bad guy real quick as most good Samaritan laws and citizens arrest statutes only allow for action for a felony.

But you have a different set of laws there.

I know, I thought what if this guy is packing heat. We didn't drive irresponsibly and didn't try to run this guy off the road.

There was a teachable moment that you missed. It takes two to tango at road rage. Keep him in front where you can see him but certainly don't taunt.

So you are one of those guys. If those little things like that bothered me I would be upset and calling the police all the time. My luck I would follow the guy and he would turn psycho on me and pull a gun or something worse.

While you may say you're collecting evidence for a police report, how do we know you filed one? And your real plan is to return a week later, in the middle of the night, screw their doors and windows shut, and light their house on fire while they sleep?

If you followed me home to where I, or my family lived, I would consider you an existential threat and handle the situation accordingly. While my state doesn't have the best "castle laws" I would gladly trade a few years for my family's safety.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JC1
My son made a comment when the guy fully stopped at the stop sign. The speed limit is 40 km/h (25) mph. He was easily doing twice that in a residential area.

What kind of comment? Just report it if that's your intention, I wouldn't be letting the guy know you're reporting him ... stay stealth. Being a social justice warrior could be a dangerous adventure if you don't know who you're dealing with.

Originally Posted by PetitFrereArmada
Do you have the dashcam video to share?

I've got the video. The snip is 708MB, I would need to edit out the last bit so you don't see his plate.

Whats a good site (not youtube or google to post this) and not track it back to me?

Originally Posted by JC1

I've got the video. The snip is 708MB, I would need to edit out the last bit so you don't see his plate.

Whats a good site (not youtube or google to post this) and not track it back to me?

youtube

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by JC1

youtube

[censored] no, you need to sign in. Google knows more than most law enforcement!

Back