Clogged Kitchen Drain

So have a very slow flowing(almost clogged) kitchen drain. After removal, thoroughly cleaned up P-trap and all other pipes underneath the sink.

Couldn't clean the small pipe going into the wall because for some reason whoever installed them, thought that pipe would never be removed in future.

Ideally don't want to use any chemicals, have already used boiling water multiple time, baking soda/vinegar and no luck.

What have you successfully used in the past? Snake? Or any other help/tips would be appreciated.
thumbsup2.gif

Maybe squirt some Dawn down in there and let it sit?

Did you plunge it?

When that happened to me it was the drain line out to the street that had tree roots growing into it. Plumber came out with the snake to clear it out.

Originally Posted by Gebo
Maybe squirt some Dawn down in there and let it sit?

Did you plunge it?

Can you please elaborate? Just use plunger on each side of the sink?

Cover one side and plunge otherside, this will clear to the trap. Down stream use a liquid drain cleaner,or a snake. Snake is better longterm! There should be a cleanout on the line. If not you will have to go through plug at bottom of trap.

Originally Posted by wog
Cover one side and plunge otherside, this will clear to the trap. Down stream use a liquid drain cleaner,or a snake. Snake is better longterm! There should be a cleanout on the line. If not you will have to go through plug at bottom of trap.

What he said. I feel your pain...

Just went through this with a basement bathroom sink. Multiple rounds with chemicals, the last few were almost successful as the drain would seem to clear and then whatever was blocking it would shift, the drain would emit a sort of burp, and that was the end of that.

You're going to have to bite the bullet and snake it.

Look outside at the wall opposite of your sink and there should be a wall clean out. Go to any hardware store and buy a BLOW BAG. You can run it down the wall clean out. If there's not a clean out there, there is a vent stack protruding from the roof. Run your BLOW BAG down that pipe. This should unclog your drain pipe.
If that don't work, call a plumber.
https://www.acbyj.com/blog/unclog-drain-with-blow-bag

Agree. Snake time. Curious, are other plumbing fixtures in the house mis-behaving or is it just the kitchen? Could be cooking grease dumped down the drain over a long period of time.

Originally Posted by Aredeeem
Agree. Snake time. Curious, are other plumbing fixtures in the house mis-behaving or is it just the kitchen? Could be cooking grease dumped down the drain over a long period of time.

It's just the kitchen drain, everything else is functional and working - knocking on wood!

Originally Posted by wog

I have already cleaned out the pipe until the trap after removing it.

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Look outside at the wall opposite of your sink and there should be a wall clean out. Go to any hardware store and buy a BLOW BAG. You can run it down the wall clean out. If there's not a clean out there, there is a vent stack protruding from the roof. Run your BLOW BAG down that pipe. This should unclog your drain pipe.
If that don't work, call a plumber.
https://www.acbyj.com/blog/unclog-drain-with-blow-bag

Are you talking about the highlighted area/lug right next to the pipe going inside the wall?

[Linked Image]

I just went through this with our kitchen sink. I removed the P-trap and ran a snake. It wouldn't clear until I reached 15 feet.

Originally Posted by Kestas
I just went through this with our kitchen sink. I removed the P-trap and ran a snake. It wouldn't clear until I reached 15 feet.

BTW, were you seeing a leak around the P-trap area - have been noticing this since yesterday after cleaning out everything before the P-trap.

Do you have any recommendation for the snake? Just anyone from HF or Walmart or has to be something special? Thank you
thumbsup2.gif

instant power hair and grease, worked for me, i paid for quite a few snake by a pro then this sucker fix my clogging issue.

Pour and leave for 2 hours and dump couple fo stock pots full of boiling water.
FYI fill stock pots with water BEFORE pouring this stuff down the drain :)

The fitting in the wall is always fixed as far as I know. I have been up on the roof a number of times for my kitchen sink and it was the vent that was plugged. That is the last section that still has old iron pipe from 1927 in it. Also the run should be sloped 1/4 per foot .at least ,from trap to wall, but not much more. Too much slope eliminates the critical distance and blocks air from being behind the water. Mine was plumbed like that and I had to change the whole mess someone did under the sink.

I have had good luck cleaning the drain of our kitchen sink drain using a Pistol-Grip Drum Auger from Cobra Tools.

Belker

Back