RIP Al Kaline.

I was just reflecting with my family that we in the Detroit area have been fortunate over the years to have some real class acts be the faces of our sports franchises. I only knew of Al Kaline as a broadcaster - his playing days were before my time - but I am hard pressed to think of another market who'd have the likes of Steve Yzerman, Isaiah Thomas, Barry Sanders and Mr. Kaline; each of whom were upstanding citizens and excellent leaders and role models.

Mr. Tiger
Musta' seen him play 500 games at the old Tiger Stadium. For 68 years, Al was employed by the Tigers. Always a Gentleman's Gentleman.
I would not be surprised to read our Governor orders the flag poles at half-mast. Kaline was so well respected and dignified.

I wonder how much it bothered him that he fell one short of 400 home runs? Also, I always think of batteries when I see his name! ...€

I went to see the Tigers back in '68 after they won the WS. They came to our high school and Al signed a cast I had on my arm at the time. He was definitely one of the greats. RIP Mr. Kaline...

Back