Home

My dog did not make it.

Posted By: Chris142

My dog did not make it. - 04/05/20 08:02 PM

Our dog that had Emergency surgery back in January to remove his spleen because it had Cancer had to be put down last Thursday. He stopped eating. Would not even eat his favorite treats.

We took him in because we felt that he was suffering and was not going to live much longer. Very depressing. I feel that he was robbed of a full life.

He was the best dog ever and we sure do miss him frown My wife is wanting to get another dog but I am on the fence still. Plus with the pandemic the shelters are closed.

Attached picture IMG_20191226_164659.jpg
Posted By: JOD

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/05/20 08:06 PM

wow, my sincere condolences. He looks like a great pup. I went through this about a year and a half ago with my 14 year old pit bull, and it still stings--but a little less each day. Time heals all wounds.
Posted By: vavavroom

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/05/20 08:07 PM

I am so sorry you lost your friend. You did what you could and you did not prolong his suffering. Give it some time before getting another dog. I believe you also have a cat?
Posted By: spasm3

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/05/20 08:08 PM

I'm sorry man. It hurts. When you have a special bond, and its gone forever, it really hurts. You gave him a great life and the gift of not suffering.
Posted By: Chris142

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/05/20 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by vavavroom
I am so sorry you lost your friend. You did what you could and you did not prolong his suffering. Give it some time before getting another dog. I believe you also have a cat?

4 cats and a small ankle biter of a dog.
Posted By: Oildudeny

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/05/20 08:10 PM

I'm sorry for your loss pal. I know if I lost my two girls I'd be devastated.. better days ahead if its meant you'll get another dog.
Posted By: earlyre

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/05/20 08:11 PM

I know our local shelter has said, yes we are closed, but if you seen an animal you're interested in, be it on petfinder, or Facebook, or where ever, reach out to them, they can set up a private meeting with just you, handle all the prescreening interviews and stuff over facetime, zoom, Skype, what ever video conference....

so... when you're ready, don't hesitate to at least reach out to them. they could use the $$, and some lucky mutt could use the love...
Posted By: KGMtech

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/05/20 08:13 PM

I have been in this same emotional space before, my wife and youngest son rushed to get another dog after we lost Sasha, we had a new pup less than 3 months later. Luna has been great, but I still feel I was not over the grieving process for Sasha.

Don't rush, as you mentioned there are already impediments to that right now.
Posted By: Mike L. V.

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/05/20 08:14 PM

Sorry for your loss. It's a hard time. Remember the good times and know that your buddy was loved. Give it some time before getting a new dog IMO. You need time to heal and when the time is right you'll know.
Posted By: Mr Nice

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/05/20 08:19 PM

RIP. It’s always tough to lose a pet.
Posted By: vavavroom

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/05/20 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by vavavroom

4 cats and a small ankle biter of a dog.

They too lost a buddy, I think.
Posted By: ZZman

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/05/20 08:33 PM

frown
Posted By: atikovi

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/05/20 08:35 PM

Sad news to hear.
Posted By: paulri

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/05/20 08:39 PM

Sorry for your loss. We have a 10-11 yo St. Bernard with bone cancer and its only a matter of time with him. Sorry for your loss.
Posted By: Leo99

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/05/20 08:47 PM

Sorry for your loss.
Posted By: wog

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/05/20 08:47 PM

Sorry about your dog,they are family,tough losing them.
Posted By: Tahoe4Life

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/05/20 08:51 PM

Sorry for your loss.

Surprised to hear your pet shelters are closed. They are open in my neck of the woods and pets are moving out at a unusually high rate of speed.
Posted By: racer44

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/05/20 08:51 PM

Very sorry for your lost! We had to put our Lab down 8 months ago because of cancer also. Wife volunteered at a dog rescue to help out for a few weeks walking and feeding dogs. Low and behold she found a wonderful Lab mix at the rescue and she has been great! Believe me it will be worth looking into. The dog is so different now than when we first brought her home, she has come out of her shell. They estimate her to be about 2 and we are loving she.
Posted By: SLO_Town

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/05/20 08:52 PM

Chris, Guardian is forever grateful for your love and care.

Scott
Posted By: gfh77665

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/05/20 09:26 PM

I understand your pain. I have been there myself more than once. When you look back, you can take great comfort that you gave your friend a great gift, you released him from his suffering. If he could, he would thank you.
Posted By: IMSA_Racing_Fan

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/05/20 09:34 PM

Man that is terrible.☹️

I have four and love them all.
Posted By: 4WD

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/05/20 09:35 PM

Sorry about your loss …
That’s exactly how it was going when my sister and BiL lost their old Lab …
So we showed up one day with one of our 8 week old yellows (used to raise Labs, now dust mops).
That one was loved … and gave love back just as much …
Lots of them waiting to be rescued too …
Posted By: IMSA_Racing_Fan

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/05/20 09:35 PM

Sure is strange how animals are getting cancer? Was this even a thing 100 years ago?
Posted By: Imp4

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/05/20 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
Sure is strange how animals are getting cancer? Was this even a thing 100 years ago?

It's really strange.
If I we're a bone head, I'd consider it a conspiracy theory.

What do you think?!?
Posted By: Mr Nice

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/05/20 09:47 PM

Of course dogs got cancer 100 years ago but vets didn’t have the technology to diagnose it.
Posted By: doitmyself

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/05/20 10:03 PM

Very saddened at your loss, Chris142.

I'm not one to think animals have human emotions and thought processes, but man, do we ever bond with dogs in so many personal ways. When our last bulldog passed away, my wife couldn't stand to not have a dog in our home and insisted that we adopt one asap. We ended up with a stellar companion that arrived at our local shelter via Indiana, our home state. His name is Koda, he has been trained as a certified service dog, and he lives up to his name's meaning of "friend, someone to depend on". I am positive that he has been extremely beneficial improving my wife's quality of life.

Wishing you the best. Try to dwell on the positive aspects that you provided your dog over the years.
Posted By: Bobaloo22

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/05/20 10:32 PM

Very sorry for your loss. frown
Posted By: Passport1

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/05/20 10:41 PM

The pain is awful. Tincture of time helps.
Posted By: Triple_Se7en

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/05/20 10:43 PM

Sorry for you and your affected family. Glad you did the right ethical thing and with haste on Thursday.
Posted By: 2015_PSD

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/05/20 10:52 PM

Sorry for your loss. The hardest part of owning any pet is the final goodbye--remember the good times!
Posted By: Blkstanger

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/05/20 11:15 PM

Sorry for your loss. It'd never easy to lose part of your family.
Posted By: CT Rob

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/05/20 11:26 PM

Sorry to hear Chris.Cancer robs all ,be it human or animal.You gave him a good life though.
Posted By: HemiBenny

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/05/20 11:27 PM

I can relate to being on the fence about another. I had to put my Heeler down and I was an absolute train wreck, I was a grown man reduced to a baby that evening. It's so hard to imagine going through it again at some point, but in the end, you could possibly give another dog it's best life possible. I'm sorry for your loss.

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really. -Agnes Turnbull
Posted By: gfh77665

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/05/20 11:36 PM

Canine oncology in 1920?

Way different world and technology 100 years ago...
Posted By: CT8

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/05/20 11:37 PM

Sorry for the loss of your friend.
Posted By: hemitruck

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/05/20 11:46 PM

Berry sorry you lost your pal. It's never easy.
Posted By: walterjay

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/05/20 11:52 PM

I understand what you are going through. I put down my Shepherd two months ago due to severe liver problems. It really hurts.
Posted By: wings&wheels

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/05/20 11:57 PM

Condolences....
Posted By: frankbee3

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/06/20 12:11 AM

Chris,
I am sorry for your loss of Guardian. It really hurts to say goodbye.
The passage of time helps. I am sure a good will find you when it’s time..
Posted By: dja4260

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/06/20 12:25 AM

Been there, experienced a loss such as that. It's been 10 weeks and I still get teary eyed thinking of Brutus. I'm very sorry for your loss. There isn't much worse....
Posted By: mez

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/06/20 12:25 AM

Sorry to hear that. We rescue a dog, Basejni mix 9 years ago and we had to put it down last year with bladder cancer. She was the best dog someone could ever ask for. Rest in peace Bella!
Posted By: BigCahuna

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/06/20 12:37 AM

When a pet dies don't think getting another pet is replacing the one you lost. That can't be done. Think of it as giving another pet, a chance at a better life. Especially if it's a shelter animal. . They know how sitting in a cage all day feels, when no one is interested in them. And will appreciate your affection. Have them pick you, and you'll have a friend for life.,,,
Posted By: oldhp

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/06/20 12:39 AM

Sorry for your loss. Pets become family.
Posted By: Rudy1999 250

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/06/20 12:48 AM

SO SORRY FOR THE LOSS OF YOUR DOG.

BIGCAUNA, you are 100% right i get such a kick out of my shelter dogs so much personality.

And for some reason they seem to LOVE riding in the cars and trucks?

Steveistheoilguy
Posted By: cjcride

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/06/20 01:00 AM

Sorry Chris
Posted By: 2004tdigls

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/06/20 01:29 AM

incredibly sad but remember that you gave that dog years of paradise, in the wild or on the streets they live 2-3 years and die horribly

in time only the good memories will be retained
Posted By: StarCaller

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/06/20 01:48 AM

that hurts like nothing else in the world /
the only times I ever get drunk is when one of my dogs dies /
doesn't help too much, but makes the first evening better /
Posted By: Astro14

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/06/20 02:40 AM

I am so very sorry for your loss!
Posted By: P10crew

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/06/20 02:45 AM

Bummer! Sorry for your loss
Posted By: bbhero

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/06/20 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by spasm3
I'm sorry man. It hurts. When you have a special bond, and its gone forever, it really hurts. You gave him a great life and the gift of not suffering.

This is an outstanding post....

Take care of yourself Chris... If you need anything... Let me know...
Posted By: double vanos

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/06/20 03:32 AM

Sorry for your loss; I’ve had cats that died 20 years ago that I still pine over.
Posted By: 53' Stude

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/06/20 04:16 AM

Sorry to hear about your dog Chris frown
Posted By: ZeeOSix

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/06/20 04:38 AM

Sorry to hear ... pets always hold a special place in one's heart. We've all been in this place, but time will heal the pain and the good memories will last forever.
Posted By: dlundblad

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/06/20 09:57 AM

Sorry for your loss.
Posted By: wag123

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/06/20 11:07 AM

When a beloved pet is suffering, sending them over the rainbow bridge is the right thing to do. I'm very sorry that you had to do this and I can relate to how you are feeling.
Over the years, I have found that the best way to get over the painful loss of a dog is to get another one, immediately, and not just another dog, a new PUPPY! Puppies demand SO much of your attention that you get over your painful loss almost overnight.
Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey

Re: My dog did not make it. - 04/06/20 05:01 PM

He'll be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge and together you will cross over to a place where there will be nothing but happiness forever. He was a lucky dog to have you kind sir. We are still sad over every loss over the last fifty years. We feel very fortunate that they shared their life with us. We do the best we can for them, but in the end, it's always the same.
© 2020 Bob Is The Oil Guy