Home

pay cut at work

Posted By: marine65

pay cut at work - 04/04/20 04:17 PM

I'm an hourly employee.
My hours were cut to 25 hours a week.
The company cut all employees pay by 10%
I'll be OK with Social Security still coming in.
But expenses have to be watched closely.
I think I can file unemployment for lost pay because it's directly from the Virus.

Anybody else in a similar situation?
Posted By: Hermann

Re: pay cut at work - 04/04/20 04:36 PM

In theory you can , but good luck with the process.
Posted By: PW01

Re: pay cut at work - 04/04/20 04:41 PM

I’m no unemployment expert but in Indiana you can file for partial unemployment if your hours are reduced due to Coronavirus

Re: pay cut at work - 04/04/20 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by PW01
I’m no unemployment expert but in Indiana you can file for partial unemployment if your hours are reduced due to Coronavirus

thats what I see on the Colorado unemployment site.
Posted By: motor_oil_madman

Re: pay cut at work - 04/04/20 04:58 PM

Then they will lay you off cause you're costing them more money.
Posted By: JeffKeryk

Re: pay cut at work - 04/04/20 05:03 PM

By all means apply. You have earned it.
Good luck.
Posted By: Jackson_Slugger

Re: pay cut at work - 04/04/20 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
Then they will lay you off cause you're costing them more money.

He might be better off and making more with the Bill coming out. In any case, a lot of business owners in NY are stupid and try to deny unemployment not matter what thinking they are saving money when they've already paid for it, and they no longer can contest it for anyone...
Posted By: Jimzz

Re: pay cut at work - 04/04/20 05:23 PM

Yea you can file due to the hours being cut alone, let alone the extra that has been added due to COVID-19.

File now as they are very back logged so will take time.
Posted By: stockrex

Re: pay cut at work - 04/04/20 05:48 PM

2 week furlough at work
Posted By: CT8

Re: pay cut at work - 04/04/20 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by marine65
But expenses have to be watched closely.?

We always should be watching expenses closely . Think of yourself as the marine 65 company and run your life as such.
Posted By: Mr Nice

Re: pay cut at work - 04/04/20 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by PW01

thats what I see on the Colorado unemployment site.

Yep, file due to loss of pay. The sooner the better.
Posted By: Kibitoshin

Re: pay cut at work - 04/04/20 06:12 PM

Company reduced 401k contributions for the time being, still have medical and full benefits.
They are cutting back to a 32hr work week but in our division we are still cranking out 40hrs.
Posted By: wemay

Re: pay cut at work - 04/04/20 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Kibitoshin
Company reduced 401k contributions for the time being, still have medical and full benefits.
They are cutting back to a 32hr work week but in our division we are still cranking out 40hrs.

Exact same thing with me.
Posted By: GMFan

Re: pay cut at work - 04/04/20 07:15 PM

I’m salaried and my pay was cut 20% until further notice due to fears of meeting payroll company wide.
Posted By: FA_WRX

Re: pay cut at work - 04/04/20 08:01 PM

I’m salary company is mandating vacation days be taken. This years pay raise on hold.

Mandatory work from home as well.
Posted By: Jarlaxle

Re: pay cut at work - 04/04/20 08:21 PM

I’m salary company is mandating vacation days be taken.

Is that legal?
Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ

Re: pay cut at work - 04/04/20 08:37 PM

Yep. I did a lot of research into this when my company furloughed us during a government shutdown. They initially gave us the option of using personal time off (PTO) or not being paid for the rest of the week we had started. Then, the next week they mandated PTO for those that had it. Those that didn't have any were paid for the full week when work restarted on a Thursday or Friday.
The labor laws require full week payment of salaried furloughed employees when a partial week is worked. Since the law (at the time, don't know if it has changed) doesn't specify anything about personal time off, they can get away with forcing you to use it.

Re: pay cut at work - 04/04/20 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by ArrestMeRedZ
Yep. I did a lot of research into this when my company furloughed us during a government shutdown. They initially gave us the option of using personal time off (PTO) or not being paid for the rest of the week we had started. Then, the next week they mandated PTO for those that had it. Those that didn't have any were paid for the full week when work restarted on a Thursday or Friday.
The labor laws require full week payment of salaried furloughed employees when a partial week is worked. Since the law (at the time, don't know if it has changed) doesn't specify anything about personal time off, they can get away with forcing you to use it.

There is no "partial week", he is on salary and working from home.
Posted By: Lolvoguy

Re: pay cut at work - 04/04/20 09:31 PM

Nope, busy as anything!
It's a new job I started at the beginning of Jan, where everyone is relying on me to process payroll accurately and on time.

eek
Posted By: GMBoy

Re: pay cut at work - 04/04/20 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by GMFan
I’m salaried and my pay was cut 20% until further notice due to fears of meeting payroll company wide.

Mine too. I'm GM salaried and seems you may be as well.
Posted By: BAJA_05

Re: pay cut at work - 04/04/20 09:37 PM

Buckle down, not to fear monger -- but -- its only gonna get worse out there financially. That is why I say to my GF all the time -- "I do NOT want any other payment besides my mortgage." Granted, everybodys situation is different in life. Stay safe & positive people!!! wink
Posted By: Donald

Re: pay cut at work - 04/04/20 10:24 PM

I changed jobs from an insurance company to a major hotel chain. But I work in the large scale data center. Does not really matter what the company does or sells, the same work for me in the data center. A month after the job change the virus hit , reservations were down dramatically, and I was told my job was probably going to be cut but it went back and forth. I ended up not getting cut but reduced to a 4 day work week. So more time for projects now that the weather is getting warmer. All in all it could have been a lot worse.
Posted By: Ws6

Re: pay cut at work - 04/04/20 10:31 PM

I'm an hourly employee.
My hours were cut to 25 hours a week.
The company cut all employees pay by 10%
But expenses have to be watched closely.
I think I can file unemployment for lost pay because it's directly from the Virus.

Anybody else in a similar situation?

They have been trying to cut our hours down. I know they will need us a lot in the coming weeks and demand things like 16 hour shifts, OT, etc. Weighing how I feel about that.

Re: pay cut at work - 04/04/20 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle

Is that legal?

It's just as legal as making citizens carry papers to cross state lines in Amerika, Comrade.

The law is just a social construct of the government. It has nothing to do with right/wrong/ethics.
Posted By: nickaluch

Re: pay cut at work - 04/04/20 10:39 PM

I layed my employees off this Friday. Small operation just six people but had no choice. Business is down 86% it was not substantial at that rate. One of the hardest things I ever had to do it truly hurt but hopefully were back and running soon.i don't expect business to be back to normal numbers but if it's enough to cover payroll and expenses I'll take it. Business is debt free was always concerned about that so a fighting chance. If not I'll pack it in head down to Florida and go fishing
Posted By: Leo99

Re: pay cut at work - 04/04/20 11:05 PM

I'm lucky. I'm working from home and very busy. We are not missing a beat by working from home. We've been planning for this contingency for years. My wife is getting paid full time but only working 1 or 2 days a week in the office. My son and daughter's b/f are both laid off.

Re: pay cut at work - 04/04/20 11:17 PM

No cut in hours for me but temporarily back in the field helping out.
Posted By: spk2000

Re: pay cut at work - 04/04/20 11:46 PM

We supply Ford exhaust systems and they are down now. Forced to take mandatory vacation one week then furloughed indefinitely. Being told another 2 weeks minimum but probably the entire month. Unemployment application online rejected so on a call back list for over a week in KY.

Re: pay cut at work - 04/04/20 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ws6

Is that legal?

It's just as legal as making citizens carry papers to cross state lines in Amerika, Comrade.

The law is just a social construct of the government. It has nothing to do with right/wrong/ethics.

I'm sorry...and you planning to actually ANSWER THE QUESTION or just post non sequiturs?
Posted By: Nick1994

Re: pay cut at work - 04/04/20 11:59 PM

I don't think I'll get any cut. They're supposed to be working on getting me and a coworker a decent raise. If they ever end up doing anything, I'll probably get told not to work overtime anymore.
Posted By: sloinker

Re: pay cut at work - 04/05/20 12:08 AM

Business as usual so far. Burning PRC to boil the water that spins the turbines that rotate the generators and provide the power needed for those at home to microwave burritos, watch Netflix and surf the net. Business as usual and Warren Buffett likes it that way.
Posted By: Silk

Re: pay cut at work - 04/05/20 12:10 AM

I got a pay increase ! Well, a slight increase in my pension, and an increase in the winter home heating allowance. As a full time worker, I also get 80% of my weekly wage. As an added bonus I don't get to go anywhere to spend my money.
Posted By: Oildudeny

Re: pay cut at work - 04/05/20 12:35 AM

NYS employee here.. 40 hour work week with full benefits
Posted By: Skippy722

Re: pay cut at work - 04/05/20 01:33 AM

We are getting a 10% bonus for anytime worked during the stay at home order. They are also paying us to stay home if you or anyone in your house has so much as a cold. They have also waived occurrences if you simply wish to stay home to avoid any human contact, however that will not be paid unless you use vacation time.

Re: pay cut at work - 04/05/20 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Skippy722
We are getting a 10% bonus for anytime worked during the stay at home order. They are also paying us to stay home if you or anyone in your house has so much as a cold. They have also waived occurrences if you simply wish to stay home to avoid any human contact, however that will not be paid unless you use vacation time.

My company is paying everyone in full their wages if they have to quarantine, or if they get sick with the virus. All 25k+ employees.

I'm very fortunate.

Re: pay cut at work - 04/05/20 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Ws6

Is that legal?

I'm sorry...and you planning to actually ANSWER THE QUESTION or just post non sequiturs?

Yes, it's legal.
Posted By: cjcride

Re: pay cut at work - 04/05/20 10:18 AM

It's also legal in Ontario Canada
Posted By: nickaluch

Re: pay cut at work - 04/05/20 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Oildudeny

You're not out of the woods yet. Expect big budget cuts
Posted By: Amkeer

Re: pay cut at work - 04/05/20 11:47 AM

Sad to see people lose their jobs. The writing was on the wall that times were going to get tough and here we are. Fortunately we planned for it and using this as an opportunity to build wealth. Think outside the box.
Posted By: fdcg27

Re: pay cut at work - 04/05/20 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by nickaluch

For governments at all levels, revenues are declining rapidly as tax takes from all sources dry up.
From income and payroll taxes to sales taxes to fuel taxes all are in free-fall.
State and local budgets are going to be strained for at least the rest of this calendar year.
Tough times ahead for governments and those who work for them.
The layoffs have already begun for some such workers.
Posted By: john_pifer

Re: pay cut at work - 04/05/20 01:37 PM

I’m in aircraft maintenance at a heavy maintenance/overhaul station for the 3rd-largest aircraft OEM.

With the plunge in demand for air travel, airlines have cut flights by as much as 75% at last count. As a result, they can no longer pay to have their aircraft maintained, so they parked them.

Everyone except a skeleton crew to do necessary maintenance on aircraft that are in storage, were furloughed last week, for at least a month, but word is that it could be longer.

In the mean time, I got a job delivering for Amazon Prime (Yep, one of those dark blue Mercedes Prime vans you see in your neighborhood). Keeps me off the couch.

Things are grim in the airline/commercial aviation business. We need, badly, for air travel to be able to resume. Unfortunately, it’s not looking like that’s going to happen for maybe months - at least, not like it was, before.

Best of luck to everyone during this time.

We will bounce back!!

Re: pay cut at work - 04/05/20 01:48 PM

My brother's co-worker hung himself last night. frown
Posted By: 77Se7en

Re: pay cut at work - 04/05/20 02:00 PM

Many reasons outside of today's crisis, could have been responsible for that.
Posted By: Oildudeny

Re: pay cut at work - 04/05/20 02:03 PM

yes this is the beginning to a very ugly situation. i see you are from nassau county i grew up in franklin square. i work for the worst city school district probably in all of new york state and extremely underpaid for 2020. but anyway thats life i'll keep positive while i still have full paychecks and benefits.
Posted By: NO2

Re: pay cut at work - 04/05/20 02:33 PM

I've been interviewing for several jobs over the past two months, at what is considered an 'essential' business. One of the interview processes moved to virtual and even progressed through the final stage. Hoping to be hired next week, once they figure out the virtual hiring process. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. My wife works in health care and has moved all of her patients to video visits. She's waiting to see if she gets redeployed to a field hospital.

Re: pay cut at work - 04/05/20 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

He got laid off a couple months after buying a house.
Posted By: 77Se7en

Re: pay cut at work - 04/05/20 04:49 PM

So have a million others in the past year.
Did he suffer from M.D-confirmed Depression? Hanging is the #1 Suicide M.O. for those that are afflicted with it....ie.... Chris Cornell, Robin Williams.......etc.

Re: pay cut at work - 04/05/20 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by fdcg27

For governments at all levels, revenues are declining rapidly as tax takes from all sources dry up.
From income and payroll taxes to sales taxes to fuel taxes all are in free-fall.
State and local budgets are going to be strained for at least the rest of this calendar year.

Taxes are very important.

There will be major county / city layoffs in the near future. School districts will cut jobs, so will other non Police / Fire first responder type jobs.

This mess will last for more than a year.

And what will happen when homeowners stop paying the property taxes ?
Landlords not paying property taxes because all their renters stopped paying and courts refuse to evict them ?
Small business owners will also want a relief check and not pay any rent or taxes ?

Major snowball effect very soon.
Posted By: Lubener

Re: pay cut at work - 04/05/20 06:17 PM

I got my hours cut by 50 percent back in 2010. I had to learn to do with less. Luckily the house was paid for and no car payments.

Unfortunately, this mess is going to last for many years before things get back to normal.

Re: pay cut at work - 04/05/20 09:31 PM

If they ever do.

Re: pay cut at work - 04/05/20 09:44 PM

It will take a year for things to start improving but it will eventually improve.

Are union employees using their bumping rights to still stay employed ?
Some industries like aviation are unionized and their seniority helps them in stormy waters.

Re: pay cut at work - 04/06/20 12:33 AM

I'm sorry to hear this.
This is what concerns me most about this situation. The ripples through the economy expressed as crime, suicide, etc.
Posted By: PandaBear

Re: pay cut at work - 04/06/20 08:20 AM

Is that legal?

Yes, it is done all the time in at will states.
Posted By: LoneRanger

Re: pay cut at work - 04/06/20 02:22 PM

In municipal law enforcement on a dept w/ 300+ sworn. I am in CID as a supervisor of detectives, but all of CID and other support divisions have to keep duty uniform and all street duty and mobile field force equipment (i.e. riot gear) in vehicle and be ready to go for crowd control if things get hairy such as civil disorder begins to erupt, or the more likely scenario of staffing levels to cover the patrol/field functions start dropping to due to personnel in the patrol division have to stay home 14 days in isolation-- then we will be told to suit up and start taking over the temporary vacancies in patrol. We may also go to 12 hour shifts at that time. Likely scenario for me personally if that unfolds might be posting to a critical infrastructure site, say a grocery store or a hospital, for security reinforcement. I'd prefer the grocery store detail vs. guarding a hospital's outdoor triage tent, etc. I'm 31 yrs into it. Original plan has been to retire at 32 yrs early next year. Hopefully that will still be an option.
Posted By: supton

Re: pay cut at work - 04/06/20 02:33 PM

No cut yet but 401k matching contribution is now stopped. Since I'm still being paid my full amount I haven't stopped my 401k contribution, but I might if I take a pay cut. Bonuses and raises of course are shelved. Mandatory vacation time, have to burn a week this month. Being salaried and being a computer, I'll just file for a random week and just take random half days off at my desire, I have a vested interest in keeping busy and keeping projects moving at full speed at work. Sucks but just the way it is--I'm grateful that I can work from home and have a home to work from.

BIL works in IT at a place with like 3k employees--well, 3k until they let go 2,200. He's taking it hard as he had to deactivate the emails. He also thinks he will be in the second round of layoffs (like when the place goes out altogether)... and he now has a week-old at home. No small stress for him.
Posted By: CT8

Re: pay cut at work - 04/06/20 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by BAJA_05
Buckle down, not to fear monger -- but -- its only gonna get worse out there financially. That is why I say to my GF all the time -- "I do NOT want any other payment besides my mortgage." Granted, everybodys situation is different in life. Stay safe & positive people!!! wink

Smart move! Wait till the mortgage is gone.,, you are adding a few dollars as you can to get it paid off early?
Posted By: Farnsworth

Re: pay cut at work - 04/06/20 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Originally Posted by fdcg27

Taxes are very important.

There will be major county / city layoffs in the near future. School districts will cut jobs, so will other non Police / Fire first responder type jobs.

This mess will last for more than a year.

And what will happen when homeowners stop paying the property taxes ?
Landlords not paying property taxes because all their renters stopped paying and courts refuse to evict them ?
Small business owners will also want a relief check and not pay any rent or taxes ?

Major snowball effect very soon.

If landlords or homeowners stop paying property taxes, the property is eventually auctioned off to the highest bidder. They have these auctions all the time.

Re: pay cut at work - 04/06/20 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
In municipal law enforcement on a dept w/ 300+ sworn. I am in CID as a supervisor of detectives, but all of CID and other support divisions have to keep duty uniform and all street duty and mobile field force equipment (i.e. riot gear) in vehicle and be ready to go for crowd control if things get hairy such as civil disorder begins to erupt, or the more likely scenario of staffing levels to cover the patrol/field functions start dropping to due to personnel in the patrol division have to stay home 14 days in isolation-- then we will be told to suit up and start taking over the temporary vacancies in patrol. We may also go to 12 hour shifts at that time. Likely scenario for me personally if that unfolds might be posting to a critical infrastructure site, say a grocery store or a hospital, for security reinforcement. I'd prefer the grocery store detail vs. guarding a hospital's outdoor triage tent, etc. I'm 31 yrs into it. Original plan has been to retire at 32 yrs early next year. Hopefully that will still be an option.

Could you retire now?

Re: pay cut at work - 04/06/20 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Farnsworth

If landlords or homeowners stop paying property taxes, the property is eventually auctioned off to the highest bidder. They have these auctions all the time.

If enough stop paying taxes...you have Detroit, where they don't auction because nobody is bidding.

Re: pay cut at work - 04/06/20 11:32 PM

Talked to my boss today.
I said I got hit with a double whammy.
You cut my hours and now corporate is cutting my pay by 10 %?
He said nothing I can do about the 10 % but you can go back 32 hours a week which is my norm.
I'm good with this.
All the salaried people got a 10 % cut and still have to work 40 or more hours.
Posted By: 92saturnsl2

Re: pay cut at work - 04/06/20 11:51 PM

Still working 40 hours a week at my job, unfortunately all the overtime has dried up (used to be 10-20 hrs/wk overtime.) We've done a little house-cleaning, laying off a couple bad employees (which was way overdue), but no changes otherwise. We're considered essential since we're part of the supply chain for an essential industry, but it's more of a loophole IMO since the projects we're presently working on aren't at all essential (new Kia dealership for example is one of them.) But I'm not going to complain, I'm fortunate to be able to work.

We're projected to stay busy for the next couple months, it's questionable after that. Most of the jobs we're working on today were bid/contracted 2-3 months ago. So there's a few month delay in our business between when the economy tanks till we begin to feel it at the shop.

Re: pay cut at work - 04/07/20 12:48 AM

All field service folks get 10 hours pre approved OT every week but with the situation some are working more. Now with hospitals getting antsy every call they want a stat response.... no longer will they accept service 12-15 hours later.

I'm now temporarily back in the field cause big boss asked me if I could help. Just like hurricane season I say sure no problem.

All PMs are scheduled and will keep you busy. PM compliance for this equipment is 100%. No excuses.

Re: pay cut at work - 04/07/20 01:37 AM

I'm down from 45-50 hours a week to 30. frown We're down from 14 drivers to 5.

My wife is working 50+ hours a week, she worked five full days last week and a half day Saturday. Won't be quite as much for her this week, but she expects 5 10 hour days.

Re: pay cut at work - 04/07/20 01:31 PM

Could you retire now?

Yes. Wife wants me to. However, I'd like to finish 32 plus the whole don't be a quitter when times get tough thing... ego, pride, esprit de corps, etc. If the situation the world finds itself in eases up come summer, I may possibly go then with 31 & 1/2 instead of 32. Also depends on how the global/national economic recovery goes ... if a recovery happens.
Posted By: stockrex

Re: pay cut at work - 04/07/20 02:48 PM

Just announced today, my employer will start laying off people, curd, need to tighten the belt.
Posted By: daves87rs

Re: pay cut at work - 04/07/20 04:37 PM

Temp layoff at both my jobs.

Hoping this doesn’t go months (as I have heard a few say) or I won’t have to worry about either job....
Posted By: GoldDot40

Re: pay cut at work - 04/10/20 02:30 AM

My boss and his boss drove over 300 miles to meet with my team yesterday in person. Our last day of employment will be April 20th. Not temporarily either...DONE. They're closing down all the satellite terminals and laying us off. The big terminals with 25+ drivers will cut about 25-30% of the drivers.

Never thought I would see a time when gasoline screeched to a standstill due to people not traveling...in just a matter of weeks. It went from great to slightly cut back to being over 50% down on fuel freight in about 6 weeks. The fuel transport industry is wounded and bleeding like never before.

Re: pay cut at work - 04/10/20 03:06 AM

It really blows my mind how the businesses have doing so good for so long and got tax cuts, economy was booming, yet they don't have any cash set aside for even a short amount of time to operate and hold their heads above water.
Posted By: xBa380

Re: pay cut at work - 04/10/20 03:11 AM

No change at my place of work for me, aside from working from home. Most of the work is in the form of multi-year contracts with "essential" projects/companies, so our company continues to get paid to keep us going. Most of the engineers are working, but our shop has been forloughed aside from a few for a critical project or two. They are trying to keep as many people as they can working. No layoffs, paycuts or benefit changes thankfully. They are restricting to 40hrs a week, no more, for all of engineering (we are paid per hour, not salary).

Our annual review should be happening now, and due to COVID I guess they may just do away with face to face reviews and give a 2.7-3.0% raise to everyone across the board, unless our supervisors want to give more to specific individuals.

Posted By: jcartwright99

Re: pay cut at work - 04/10/20 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by Nick1994
It really blows my mind how the businesses have doing so good for so long and got tax cuts, economy was booming, yet they don't have any cash set aside for even a short amount of time to operate and hold their heads above water.

Why does this surprise you? It shouldn’t. I’ll give you two examples. These are 2 stories I have witnessed/heard of since the start of this epidemic.

Example 1: Downtown Chicago bar and restaurant I go to occasionally for lunch. Owner has Porsche 911, GWagon, and wife drives an Escalade. Owner has million dollar home in north burbs.

As soon as restaurants got closed, he let everyone go. Nothing to his employees. Now he’s claiming if he doesn’t get a loan he’ll lose his business entirely. It’s been two weeks.

Example 2: Good friend of mine is an executive at a Fortune 500 company. He’s probably top 75 in the company. Once the virus hit, they laid off a ton of people and closed a few locations. A lot of the middle managers and below took some sort of pay cuts. Meanwhile my friend got a slight promotion, which meant a 50k cash bonus, another 50k to his base salary, and another 100k in stock/year. The only thing he lost was his 401k match (which had nothing to do with Covid 19).

I’m positive the restaurant owner pays himself way more than he should instead of putting it in to company savings. He’d rather have his business go under and screw his employees than give up that lifestyle.

Regarding my buddy, executives are going to take care of executives no matter what. It’s really the good old boy network in these companies. No way they are going to be effected when there are people they can lay-off.
Posted By: 4WD

Re: pay cut at work - 04/10/20 04:02 AM

Good old boy sometimes … and good old analysts that pressure companies to push every dollar to the limit or your stock gets hammered. Then reinvent the fundamentals. Like the WG analogy about where the puck is going to be. Somehow they know where it’s going to be ?
Posted By: madRiver

Re: pay cut at work - 04/10/20 09:28 AM

The reality is there is big opportunity now for people who saved to swoop in buy a business bottom dollar / fractional cost and start up. Not same owner but jobs will flow back.

Re: pay cut at work - 04/10/20 09:35 AM

My wife’s 401k contribution cut at hospital non union. Nurses and other non professionals people in union Get paid more due to “hazard” and keep 401k.

Re: pay cut at work - 04/10/20 10:25 AM

Example 1: Downtown Chicago bar and restaurant I go to occasionally for lunch. Owner has Porsche 911, GWagon, and wife drives an Escalade. Owner has million dollar home in north burbs.

As soon as restaurants got closed, he let everyone go. Nothing to his employees. Now he’s claiming if he doesn’t get a loan he’ll lose his business entirely. It’s been two weeks.

Unfortunately lots of business owners think that way.

You know he has $$$$ in the bank probably sheltered in wife's name and won't hesitate to walk away from restaurant and file for bankruptcy. Even if he gets a loan how long can he stay in business with no customers?

Lots of business owners feel you should be happy that you are employed. Once bad times hit you are out the door with nothing.

At my job they pay you 1 week of pay for every year worked + all unused vacation / floating holidays, etc...

Posted By: dogememe

Re: pay cut at work - 04/10/20 05:36 PM

I work at an auto parts store. All of our locations are open. But we've already permanently laid off one employee at our location and I'm sure there is more to come across all 5000+ locations. And hours are being cut back. We can use our sick time to get to 40 hours if we want. But no more OT. I'm totally screwed. I relied on OT to barely scrape by. I might have to go for bankruptcy.
Posted By: addyguy

Re: pay cut at work - 04/10/20 07:13 PM

I got a temporary pay raise and more hours.
Posted By: BAJA_05

Re: pay cut at work - 04/10/20 08:16 PM

At my company, last week they started laying people off with high points. Normally, if you reach 6 points your terminated. Point/points come off annually.
Posted By: BrianF

Re: pay cut at work - 04/10/20 08:20 PM

Pay cut? My job has been stagnant on pay raises in the last decade. So much that we are 20,000$ or so a year disparity with the competitors. Hard to cut what isnt there.

Re: pay cut at work - 04/10/20 09:45 PM

How many businesses can survive weeks (or months) with ZERO income? Bills still rolling in, no revenue.

Re: pay cut at work - 04/10/20 11:23 PM

How many businesses can survive weeks (or months) with ZERO income? Bills still rolling in, no revenue.

Cruise lines idle like Carnival and burning their cash. Same with the AMC movies.

Re: pay cut at work - 04/10/20 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by madRiver

Cruise lines idle like Carnival and burning their cash. Same with the AMC movies.

I would not be even slightly surprised to see AMC Theatres go under-they were in some trouble even BEFORE this happened.
Posted By: dishdude

Re: pay cut at work - 04/11/20 12:11 AM

I hate to sound like the BITOG old man, but I don't understand why people still go to the movies anymore. With as big, cheap and great as TVs are along with surround sound systems, why spend a fortune to sit in a germ infested theater while people around you text and annoy.
Posted By: Wolf359

Re: pay cut at work - 04/11/20 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by dishdude
I hate to sound like the BITOG old man, but I don't understand why people still go to the movies anymore. With as big, cheap and great as TVs are along with surround sound systems, why spend a fortune to sit in a germ infested theater while people around you text and annoy.

Well the screen in the theater is still bigger than any TV you can buy at home and the sound is usually better. Plus when the movie comes out, you can't see it on the TV for a while. AMC also had $6 Tuesday so I'm not sure if that qualifies as a fortune. The germs that were there before weren't as deadly as the one out now.
Posted By: doitmyself

Re: pay cut at work - 04/11/20 12:25 AM

According to the interesting article linked below, I have survived 9 recessions. God willing, I plan to not only survive this 10th. one, but move forward afterwards, like I did the first 9 times.

I was just one year old during the 1957 recession that included the Asian Flu pandemic that killed 1.1 million people. The first recession that really impacted me was the 1973 oil embargo recession. Waiting in line to get gas before a high school date (now wife) was a real hassle. It influenced my first car purchase, an early '70's Opel Kadett that got a whopping 21 mpg. I opted to delay college one year to work and earn tuition money. Even with high unemployment rates, upon graduating high school I had numerous job offers in the local steel mills and factories of NW Indiana. Brutal work conditions, making equivalent of $35/hour today right out of high school. I finished college (working) debt free - different than today's situation. I hunkered down and survived.

The 1981 recession affected me the most during my early 20's. Near 11% unemployment, the industrial rust belt was hammered. I remember Michiganders boarding up homes and moving south for work. Michigan's dependence on auto manufacturing was devastating. My job position was eliminated. Wife was 4 months pregnant. Absolutely no jobs available in the Upper Peninsula. We sold our home and moved 200 miles south to take a position replacing 2 retired people. My reputable work ethic saved my butt. This move caused me to seek professional counseling to survive the trauma. We hunkered down and not only survived, but the move opened up advancement opportunities and encouraged me to "man-up", for lack of a better word, in all aspects of my life. I credit the challenge to causing me to become a better person. Had I stayed in the U.P., I probably would have remained a "mouse" of a person to this day.

Read the link below. In every case, our country survived and grew afterwards. Learn to be self reliant, no matter what it takes. I.E., if needed, I could survive by hunting and gathering. Ditch those expenses and lifestyles that really are not necessary: expensive cell phones, expensive television plans, expensive transportation, Starbucks, and on and on. Nose to the grindstone has worked well for me the past 55 years or so.

Best wishes to everyone. Become a survivor. Life afterwards can be even better if you challenge it. https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/09/what-happened-in-every-us-recession-since-the-great-depression.html

Re: pay cut at work - 04/11/20 12:25 AM

Yep. Going to the movies is soooo old school.

Last movie we saw in theatre was Orange County with Jack Black.
Posted By: doitmyself

Re: pay cut at work - 04/11/20 12:33 AM

People go to movies the same reason they go to sporting events, concerts, plays, hikes, races, the zoo, whatever - for the experience you don't get watching television.

Re: pay cut at work - 04/11/20 01:52 AM

Because they have been raking it in and either buying back their stock to inflate it's price and/or pocketing the higher ups. So I guess that's where it's gone.

It's exactly like asking a person how they can survive with zero income. Some can, some can't. If I lose my job for 6 months I'd be ok. Some of my coworkers? No can do.
Posted By: userfriendly

Re: pay cut at work - 04/11/20 04:17 AM

I'm squeaking by on 40-45 hours a week at a class 3 railway.
Thankfully I have a pension from 39 years at a class one, plus CPP & OAP.

The railroads are a barometer on the economy, and still going full tilt.
I remember one day in 2008 when the rail traffic was cut in half overnight.

Re: pay cut at work - 04/11/20 11:10 AM

Because they have been raking it in and either buying back their stock to inflate it's price and/or pocketing the higher ups. So I guess that's where it's gone.

It's exactly like asking a person how they can survive with zero income. Some can, some can't. If I lose my job for 6 months I'd be ok. Some of my coworkers? No can do.

It's like you have no idea how small margins are for many businesses... (If a restaurant makes a 4% profit, that's good.)

Re: pay cut at work - 04/11/20 11:34 AM

10,000 people lined up at food bank in San Antonio, TX.

The bozos on TV say everything is fine and not to worry. When will the entire National Guard be forced to maintain law & order in the streets ?

https://www.expressnews.com/news/lo...d-by-coronavirus-pandemic-s-15189948.php

Posted By: demarpaint

Re: pay cut at work - 04/11/20 11:48 AM

A short while ago they were saying one out every 20 Americans were millionaires, which I found interesting. Now people are going bust, some in less than a month of no work. I'm sure there are some trying to scam the system too. Sad.

Re: pay cut at work - 04/11/20 12:12 PM

Maybe 1M in combined net worth (assets) + all their debt (mortgage, cars, credit cards, etc...) + retirement accounts = 1M

BIG difference between 1M debt free net worth and a hypothetical 1M of combined assets.

That 1 in 20 number is waaaaaaay off. Housing crash and major recession will deflate lots of people's hypothetical millionaire status.

Posted By: demarpaint

Re: pay cut at work - 04/11/20 12:25 PM

Maybe 1M in combined net worth (assets) + all their debt (mortgage, cars, credit cards, etc...) + retirement accounts = 1M

BIG difference between 1M debt free net worth and a hypothetical 1M of combined assets.

That 1 in 20 number is waaaaaaay off. Housing crash and major recession will deflate lots of people's hypothetical millionaire status.

Exactly!! thumbsup That's my point, the number back when the market was near a peak was still way off imo. IIRC they were referring to liquid assets, [cash, stocks, bonds, IRA, 401K, etc. not including their house] back when the market was within 10% of the high. Either way seeing how many people are going bust or soon to go bust makes that number look even more ridiculous now.
Posted By: CincyDavid

Re: pay cut at work - 04/11/20 12:30 PM

My wife and I are both being offered OT. In my case, pretty much unlimited OT. I have been working from home and it's shocking how little money I spend when I don't put gas in the car/eat lunch in the cafeteria/be tempted to buy snacks from the vending machines.

We had just bought a vacation home in FL right as this virus situation was ramping up...great timing, huh? Got a great rate, have plenty of equity in both homes and not too concerned about it.

The only spending we've really changed is pulling the dogs from puppy day care. Save almost $500/mo and the boys can stay home with me during the day. Probably miss seeing their friends at school but they'll adjust.

On the subject of "paper millionaires", a million bucks ain't what it used to be. The big question is, how much money could you lay your hands on, in cash, in an hour? one day? a week? If you're not at least reasonably liquid paper assets don't mean much.
Posted By: mightymousetech

Re: pay cut at work - 04/11/20 12:35 PM

Net worth is defined as all your assets combined, then subtract all your debt. If that's over a million, you are a millionaire. Its pretty simple.

Re: pay cut at work - 04/11/20 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by mightymousetech
Net worth is defined as all your assets combined, then subtract all your debt. If that's over a million, you are a millionaire. Its pretty simple.

There are all sorts of millionaires though. My sister in law falls into that (mutlti) albeit with home, vacation home, office space all mortgaged, coupled to luxury SUV payment and boat payment. Also a $12000/year family health insurance coupled to $5000/pp health insurance.

Her business is at 20% and cash burned up and payments coming in due.

Wife/I skate near it with home, cash, 401k but no debt. We work to pay taxes living expenses, and get health insurance, build retirement and enjoy life. We are not stressed at losing jobs.

Re: pay cut at work - 04/11/20 03:36 PM

Given that more than 10% of the population live in CA and that a home can easily be $900K, even for a condo, hitting a mil is more doable than ever.
And it goes up from there...

Think long term... It works. Good luck.
Posted By: Wolf359

Re: pay cut at work - 04/11/20 06:18 PM

As others said 1 million is 1 million. There are ways to tap the value of your assets if you want. Even things like homes you can either refi or get an equity line and equity lines don't take that long although you only go up to 90% or so, so you can't really tap the full value of the property. But if you got the equity line before the market went down, that 90% might represent 100% or more now...

Lots of people have taken a haircut with the recent market downturn, but last week was a strong week for the market so it's not as bad as you think. .

Re: pay cut at work - 04/11/20 06:32 PM

If I could afford a house in California I’d buy one and drive a convertible 911 to enjoy the drive on PCH. 😎

Lots of folks are up to their eyeballs in debt but subconsciously think they are living the America Dream. It’s more like the American Nightmare when they lose their job and end up living in Slab City, California.
Posted By: JTK

Re: pay cut at work - 04/11/20 06:33 PM

It's like you have no idea how small margins are for many businesses... (If a restaurant makes a 4% profit, that's good.)

I have to marvel at any small business owner, especially in New York. You must REALLY want to be your own boss to get into it in the first place. You never really have any time off, etc.

My line of work is still considered essential due to the medical grade oxygen we produce, although we've got the plants unloaded to the max and trucking has slowed to as slow as I've seen it.

With four kids at home, a full time mom and my paycheck our only income, we'd be sunk pretty quickly. I'd hate to have to tap into my 401k given the bite that was recently taken out of it.

Re: pay cut at work - 04/11/20 07:25 PM

Personally I think people should quit getting upset as you are not getting foreclosed nor thrown out of a rental in the next few months nor lights/water cut.

Important is roof over head(check), food, ,lights/water transport . Food only challenge is at the moment without money.

Re: pay cut at work - 04/11/20 07:41 PM

Personally I think people should quit getting upset as you are not getting foreclosed nor thrown out of a rental in the next few months nor lights/water cut.

Important is roof over head(check), food, ,lights/water transport . Food only challenge is at the moment without money.

Scary times, but I 100% agree stay safe and try and keep a cool head.
If you get the chance to help out someone, please try and do so.
We are getting there...

Re: pay cut at work - 04/12/20 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

Scary times, but I 100% agree stay safe and try and keep a cool head.
If you get the chance to help out someone, please try and do so.
We are getting there...

I brought some stuff to Mom today...a couple books, a box of paper masks for Dad (she is retired, but he's still working), and some random groceries she couldn't find easily...rice, a jar of mayo, and of all things, wide egg noodles. One less trip she needs to make to the market.

Also, since she noted that the ground beef in the supermarket is limited and usually not lean, I brought her 3lbs each of 93% and 85% lean.

Re: pay cut at work - 04/12/20 01:51 AM

I brought some stuff to Mom today...a couple books, a box of paper masks for Dad (she is retired, but he's still working), and some random groceries she couldn't find easily...rice, a jar of mayo, and of all things, wide egg noodles. One less trip she needs to make to the market.

Also, since she noted that the ground beef in the supermarket is limited and usually not lean, I brought her 3lbs each of 93% and 85% lean.

Well done. Take care of your folks while you have them.
Bravo!

Re: pay cut at work - 04/12/20 12:38 PM

Economy will eventually return to normal. When is the big question ?

I was reading after 9-11 attacks it took 2 years to get air travel passenger volume back to pre 9-11 levels.

A few small business owners I know (auto repair shop, yoga studio, restaurant, dry cleaner, contractor electrician) all their business has dried up and will file for PPP. It might be too little financial help way too late to make an impact to keep their doors open.

Even at hospitals, pandemic pay is 70% of regular hourly pay. With all elective surgeries canceled, lots of nurses and support staff like physical therapists, patient care assistants, etc... have been sent home and working half their normal schedule.

Re: pay cut at work - 04/12/20 10:07 PM

It's time to re-open the economy after April 20th. Runs much longer like this, when food banks run out, and people spend all their stimulus check, there may begin to be disorder, looting of grocery stores, and break down of order especially in large urban areas but really anywhere. Might be able to keep squeaking the lock down through May 1st but if anyone thinks it can extend beyond that without deploying troops and martial law, you're beginning to stretch it. Sorry for the gloom and doom but tons of people are already starting to experience feelings of desperation, laid off, no stimulus yet, no unemployment income yet, no savings, no food in the fridge. Remember, only about half of the adult population of this country earn enough to owe federal tax. That's a fair number of people to expect them to just lay down and take it in the wazoo. That people may rise up and take matters into their own hands is possibility. That could be much worse for this country than an increase in disease transmission.

Re: pay cut at work - 04/12/20 11:06 PM

That.
Posted By: fdcg27

Re: pay cut at work - 04/12/20 11:19 PM

Plenty of people hurting right now.
I really should consider myself lucky to still have a paying job yet I worry about going in on those days I don't work from home.
I do agree with you that after a certain amount of time some in those of the must work to survive cohort will take to the streets.
Add to that the many of us who thought we had a retirement plan in place a couple of months ago who may now have to work additional years.
A bad situation but then every generation has had its severe challenges and has lived and grown through them.
We'll come out the other side stronger and wiser,
Posted By: 53' Stude

Re: pay cut at work - 04/12/20 11:27 PM

It's time to re-open the economy after April 20th. Runs much longer like this, when food banks run out, and people spend all their stimulus check, there may begin to be disorder, looting of grocery stores, and break down of order especially in large urban areas but really anywhere. Might be able to keep squeaking the lock down through May 1st but if anyone thinks it can extend beyond that without deploying troops and martial law, you're beginning to stretch it. Sorry for the gloom and doom but tons of people are already starting to experience feelings of desperation, laid off, no stimulus yet, no unemployment income yet, no savings, no food in the fridge. Remember, only about half of the adult population of this country earn enough to owe federal tax. That's a fair number of people to expect them to just lay down and take it in the wazoo. That people may rise up and take matters into their own hands is possibility. That could be much worse for this country than an increase in disease transmission.

Very well spoken. I have been helping out at my villages local Vietnam vets place and food bank. Still donating platelets also.

Currently watching "Cinderella man"

Re: pay cut at work - 04/12/20 11:45 PM

LoneRanger,

The entire National Guard already has contingency plans in place....
Posted By: 53' Stude

Re: pay cut at work - 04/13/20 12:39 AM

LoneRanger,

The entire National Guard already has contingency plans in place....

Around me the police are following folks like nuts. Had one harass me other day when I was pulling into local park near me. He left though
Posted By: PandaBear

Re: pay cut at work - 04/13/20 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by CincyDavid
On the subject of "paper millionaires", a million bucks ain't what it used to be. The big question is, how much money could you lay your hands on, in cash, in an hour? one day? a week? If you're not at least reasonably liquid paper assets don't mean much.

This.

Back in the 90s around here 1M get you 2.5 nice house, now it gets you 1/2 a nice house. Income probably double to almost triple as well.

Right now if you don't have at least 10M in asset - debt you are just a middle class, nothing to be bragging about.

Another problem I see right now, is that people who need work the most (low income, senior, etc) are the one who have the highest risk factor due to poor health, age, lack of health care (i.e. insurance), and cannot stop working despite having symptoms of being ill. You combine this together and you are going to accelerate the amount of people dying when this drag on, whether you continue to self isolation (they are out of jobs and they work hiding their symptom, spreading it around) or not (people spread virus around like in NYC and Italy). These people can't work from home or keep 6' away from each other (some businesses can't work like that).

Re: pay cut at work - 04/13/20 04:33 PM

$1M is a lot of money if you live in Humpy Dumpty, Iowa or Two Horsetown, FL..... not so much money in California, New York, New Jersey or DC.

Re: pay cut at work - 04/13/20 06:55 PM

$1M is a lot of money. It is the hardest million to make.
Doors will open up for you after that.
© 2020 Bob Is The Oil Guy