How Come Diesel is $2.69 when gas is $1.47 ?

Is it because diesel demand hasn't collapsed as much as gasoline, due to commercial transport industry? I would think the distillates market in general would be in severe demand collapse due to airlines parking all their jets lately.

Probably taxes, but Id imagine greed has a bit to do with it since they know they trucks are still running? I see regular 1.90 and diesel 2.41 at no names near me.

Originally Posted by Audios
Probably taxes, but Id imagine greed has a bit to do with it since they know they trucks are still running? I see regular 1.90 and diesel 2.41 at no names near me.

Diesel seems to track more with premium than regular gas. Here it's pretty close, just a few cents more than premium. Gasoline tax is the same on both diesel and regular gas in this state. Probably just more demand for diesel, also used as home heating fuel and it's popular in Europe so if supplies get shipped there, less here and higher prices.

Diesel $2.09, home heating oil $2.07 here. Gas $1.84.

It's expensive because you're getting ripped off.

What is always weird to me is that when the inevitable gas price rebound comes, it will generally briefly outpace diesel, then diesel will catch back up & be higher again. It seems to be all competition related, but if this crisis continues, I don't know what they'll do with all the excess crude oil. Demand has collapsed.

The taxes on diesel are so high here that cross-country truckers buy fuel just before entering the state, and don't purchase again until they leave the state.

Just my 2c.
It's an easy way for energy producers to fleece Americans.
Most don't use/buy diesel.
Diesel is used to transport all of our necessities.
The increased cost of diesel is reflected in the products we buy.
The correlation generally goes unnoticed.

Originally Posted by BretK
The taxes on diesel are so high here that cross-country truckers buy fuel just before entering the state, and don't purchase again until they leave the state.

Same here.

Spot price on diesel is $1.00 and gasoline is $.58.There is part of the difference. The refiners are cutting back because they were losing about $3.00 per barrel. You will start seeing oil back up thru the system including the storage.

Everyone is buying more on amazon and shop from home, so transportation fuel demand has probably not gone down much.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Diesel $2.09, home heating oil $2.07 here. Gas $1.84.

It's expensive because you're getting ripped off.

And K1 kerosene still $3.65 in my neck of the woods. Price has not changed.

Back