Home

Help with new job outlook

Posted By: 97prizm

Help with new job outlook - 03/18/20 05:11 PM

So all,

I was given the choice to be fired or "resign" about two weeks ago. I'm somewhat irritated as i just got my hearing aids and what a difference it makes. I was thrown out the door as i did everything asked but some of the proprietary software i wasn't "perfect" at using.and perfect was said. My boss was given and additional department to run and according to him he hated his boss and "things weren't going well for him". I saw somecred flags when i was hired. I. Was told in my interview "we lied the job isn't technically technical writing." I resigned somewhat reluctantly as firing hurt job prospects. So how do I deal with this on future job applications? I was already looking. It was an airline job so alot of people know each other. All help appreciated.
Posted By: PandaBear

Re: Help with new job outlook - 03/18/20 05:25 PM

Sorry to hear that. Do you get any compensation for the layoff / firing / resign? If being fired hurt your chance of getting unemployment get a lawyer, they might be able to help negotiate for more compensation, because they said they lied about the job description.

Not know which state you are from we can't help with the local laws. At will employment will not protect you for these firing, but some state may consider unemployment for firing as well.

Re: Help with new job outlook - 03/18/20 05:50 PM

I wasn't fired. I took the resign option. I had considered a lawyer due to the hearing aids and hearing loss but was told it was a slippery slope. Two can i get unemployment if i was forced to resign? Not sure.
Posted By: Mad_Hatter

Re: Help with new job outlook - 03/18/20 05:52 PM

Don't disclose it unless asked. I don't believe (double check this) that the new employer is allowed to ask "why" your employment was ended. To bad you "quit" as it's unlikely that you will be eligible for UI. But still file, what's the worst that can happen.. they say no? You can challenge a denial but that will take time and you won't receive payments during that time but will get back pay if you were to win. But that process can literally take months and you'll still need to look for work.
Posted By: thooks

Re: Help with new job outlook - 03/18/20 06:07 PM

Right now is not a good time.
Posted By: AZjeff

Re: Help with new job outlook - 03/18/20 06:10 PM

There are probably a million links on resume writing. I was thinking about changing jobs a few months ago (glad I didn't, man!) and luckily have a 33 yo daughter who knows the current, correct way to construct a resume. It's different than the old days. You have about 15 seconds to catch an HR person's interest and as always it helps to have someone on the inside for a good reference.

Tough timing, best of luck.
Posted By: Alfred_B

Re: Help with new job outlook - 03/18/20 06:13 PM

Can you get unemployment if you resign?

I usually prefer to be fired but with an agreement with HR that it be classified as resignation in their files

Re: Help with new job outlook - 03/18/20 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Can you get unemployment if you resign?

I usually prefer to be fired but with an agreement with HR that it be classified as resignation in their files

No, otherwise everyone would be taking a job and "resigning". 😂.. you can only get it for being laid off and some very very specific reasons like if you can prove you quit due to harassment or some other employer violation of a protected status like a qualifying disability. Quitting/resigning is almost always denied.
Posted By: stroked93

Re: Help with new job outlook - 03/18/20 06:29 PM

You were fired, employers think thats a way out of unemployment, Its not. You had no control over the situation. An unemployment Judge will rule in your favor after the facts come out.
Posted By: Leo99

Re: Help with new job outlook - 03/18/20 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by stroked93
You were fired, employers think thats a way out of unemployment, Its not. You had no control over the situation. An unemployment Judge will rule in your favor after the facts come out.

I think this is true.

I'm hiring someone currently and I ask why they left different positions.

You don't even need to lie to come up with something creative. "The position and responsibilities were not what I was expecting."
Posted By: Donald

Re: Help with new job outlook - 03/18/20 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by thooks
Right now is not a good time.

I would take a breather for a few weeks. Polish up your resume.
Posted By: eljefino

Re: Help with new job outlook - 03/18/20 09:01 PM

Apply for unemployment. Everyone else is too and they won't look too closely at your application.

You got something close to a "constructive dismissal"-- they gave you work that wasn't in your job description that you weren't qualified to do.

Let the unemployment guys figure it out.
Posted By: Mr Nice

Re: Help with new job outlook - 03/18/20 09:53 PM

Yes, apply and see what happens.

You’ll find something better. Good luck.
Posted By: sloinker

Re: Help with new job outlook - 03/18/20 10:24 PM

Your post is pretty mushy for a technical writer unless you used a phone for assembling it, that always converts my perfectly legible, correctly spelled, well punctuated missive into an indecipherable mess. I'm not even close to being a professional technical writer.
Posted By: JeffKeryk

Re: Help with new job outlook - 03/18/20 10:48 PM

I'm not sure what you do or wanna do, or where you are in your life.
All I can tell you is education set me free; it paved the road to job (and financial) independence.

Good luck; I hope you land somewhere great!
Posted By: skyactiv

Re: Help with new job outlook - 03/18/20 11:25 PM

It's easier to get a job when your employed vs not being employed. Keep in mind states have different rules regarding unemployment, so a "constructive dismissal" in Maine if it's such a thing might not exist at all in Alabama.

You should have let them terminate you.

They obviously wont rehire you and most past employers will not discuss why "Joe Smith" is no longer with the company when a prospective employer calls to verify if you worked there. That is why it's easier to get a new job when your already employed.
The company your trying to get on at doesn't know the truth why you no longer work at your last job and people often lie when asked during an interview.

If your terminated in my state, you can get unemployment, but it takes an extra week to get vs a real layoff or job cut.
Posted By: JustinH

Re: Help with new job outlook - 03/19/20 12:38 AM

Previous employer is not allowed to comment about you.

You can write anything you want on the resume.

I passed a background check for my last employer, and they gave me a copy of the results, including the employment verification.

Surely a large airline will use a service like the Work Number, they hire them to give dates only so they don't get sued.
Posted By: UncleDave

Re: Help with new job outlook - 03/19/20 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by JustinH
Previous employer is not allowed to comment about you.

You can write anything you want on the resume.

I passed a background check for my last employer, and they gave me a copy of the results, including the employment verification.

Surely a large airline will use a service like the Work Number, they hire them to give dates only so they don't get sued.

Not quite correct - when asked for a reference the previous employer can AWLAYS simply reply -

" That person worked here from this date to that date"

That means there is no reference and in turn - no recommendation to hire.

OR the Previous employer can give a glowing reference.

UD

Re: Help with new job outlook - 03/19/20 02:45 AM

Wow a million thanks. Hopefully my future prospects will pan out. I'm looking at the Las Cruces NM, job and some in Phoenix

Re: Help with new job outlook - 03/19/20 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by skyactiv
It's easier to get a job when your employed vs not being employed. Keep in mind states have different rules regarding unemployment, so a "constructive dismissal" in Maine if it's such a thing might not exist at all in Alabama.

You should have let them terminate you.

They obviously wont rehire you and most past employers will not discuss why "Joe Smith" is no longer with the company when a prospective employer calls to verify if you worked there. That is why it's easier to get a new job when your already employed.
The company your trying to get on at doesn't know the truth why you no longer work at your last job and people often lie when asked during an interview.

If your terminated in my state, you can get unemployment, but it takes an extra week to get vs a real layoff or job cut.

There's no constructive dismissal in WA state where I'm at. Unless you were fired for gross misconduct, it's actually easier to get UI benefits for being fired than a wilful termination of employment. For wilful termination, the state website list's out several categories under which you could potentially still be eligible for benefits. If the employer won't agree to lay you off, it's almost always better to be "fired" than voluntarily quit. That's a less steep hill to climb than the "I just quit" one.

Posted By: UG_Passat

Re: Help with new job outlook - 03/19/20 02:49 AM

So... you were forced to resign or be fired, due to a disability? That's pretty shady right there.
Posted By: joekingcorvette

Re: Help with new job outlook - 03/19/20 11:32 AM

They should have called it a layoff. It appears the company is just trying to get out of paying unemployment. People get let go all the time in different jobs for various reasons and it is not something that should affect you in the next job. It's more about the people you work with that make a job. You can be the best employee in the world and if your superior or boss doesn't like you it's not going to go well. A supportive work crew is everything. This Corona virus thing is costing businesses lots of money keeping people too. A poor boss will find fault in anything you do. Good luck on your job search and most likely you will find a better job and a better boss/work environment. cheers
Posted By: vavavroom

Re: Help with new job outlook - 03/19/20 07:15 PM

Did you talk to your union rep before you decided to resign? Resigning is usually better than getting fired.
Posted By: AZjeff

Re: Help with new job outlook - 03/20/20 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by UncleDave
" That person worked here from this date to that date" UD

When a previous employer will only say this the prospective employer knows exactly what they are saying. When I had my small biz I was on both sides of this statement.
Posted By: Ws6

Re: Help with new job outlook - 03/20/20 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by 97prizm
So all,

I was given the choice to be fired or "resign" about two weeks ago. I'm somewhat irritated as i just got my hearing aids and what a difference it makes. I was thrown out the door as i did everything asked but some of the proprietary software i wasn't "perfect" at using.and perfect was said. My boss was given and additional department to run and according to him he hated his boss and "things weren't going well for him". I saw somecred flags when i was hired. I. Was told in my interview "we lied the job isn't technically technical writing." I resigned somewhat reluctantly as firing hurt job prospects. So how do I deal with this on future job applications? I was already looking. It was an airline job so alot of people know each other. All help appreciated.

Make them fire you. Hire a lawyer. Collect maximum unemployment possible. I suppose the cow left the barn already, but that's what I'd do.

Jobs ask you to resign because their reasons for wanting you gone are shaky and "fightable" and if you resign, they don't have to have that battle, nor do they have to pay you. When you're being asked to resign, you should view that as "go time" for you and your lawyer, because 99% of the time, it means there is money in it for you.

The one time I was asked to resign, I simply chose to because I leveraged my former boss for another job that paid 200% as much, but if that leverage had not been there, I sure as [censored] woulda sued. Companies care ZERO for you, and you should care ZERO for them.
Posted By: Ws6

Re: Help with new job outlook - 03/20/20 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by UncleDave
" That person worked here from this date to that date" UD

When a previous employer will only say this the prospective employer knows exactly what they are saying. When I had my small biz I was on both sides of this statement.

Exactly "So and so worked from X to X and they are *emphasis* NOT eligible for rehire".
© 2020 Bob Is The Oil Guy