The Big Oil Change - Sinclair Oil 1960's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neat to watch...
smile.gif

Great video.
Go to 16:55 for all the oil knowledge you need.
Now that the truth is out, I expect "Bob..." to fold by week's end.
Listen to the man in the raincoat!

Originally Posted by blufeb95
[Linked Image]

So, in 1968 API-SD comes along for "difficult" conditions, and every other revision is for "severe" duty? Apparently our driving habits have just gotten more and more severe?

Originally Posted by blufeb95
I'm going guess the first part of the video is maybe from 1963 or 1964, around the introduction of the API SC specification.
The S__ categories did not exist then. That system arrived circa 1970 with SD or SE. An earlier upgrade in the old "MS" specification evidently was retroactively assigned lower letter designation SC. I remember reading a magazine article about then-new S__ designations. The same article showed photographs of horrible sludge that resulted from using earlier formulations, along with corresponding photos of perfectly clean engine parts run on SE through the same test sequence.

Originally Posted by GSCJR
Welcome back Stevie!

Originally Posted by Drosselmier
Welcome back. Missed tour posts.

Thanks for that, but I hadn't really gone anywhere. Just been super busy with life-stuff outside of BITOG, so I've spent more time reading than posting is all.

Stumbled across this video last night and thought I'd post here.
smile.gif

Am I correct ? Engines in newer vehicles run hotter & produce more HP in smaller packages ? And people seem to expect longer OCI ?

So , higher quality oil is required ?

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Am I correct ? Engines in newer vehicles run hotter & produce more HP in smaller packages ? And people seem to expect longer OCI ?

So , higher quality oil is required ?

Engines of today place more demands on oil than engines of decades ago but this has also been taken into consideration with oil specifications and formulations and engine setups. Eg: Larger sumps, oil coolers, oil temperature control, fuel injection setup, larger filters in some cases.

Today's engines tend to be liquid cooled which keeps the oil temperature down, and older oil was mostly just solvent dewaxed so it still had a very high wax content in the oil which is what makes for poor cold flow performance and fostered sludge formation. I believe today's conventional oils are largely comprised of group II hydrotreated/lightly hydrocracked base stocks so they have a much lower wax content and better additive packages, also synthetic blends seem to be more and more common place which would be somewhere in between full synthetic and a conventional oil in terms of wax content since they would be a blend of group ii and the more severely hydrocracked group iii base stocks.

That's a big block Chevy (396). So this film is at least as recent as 1965. 1964 or earlier it would have been the "W" head 348 or 409.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back