Craigslist is like a petty HOA now

Status
Not open for further replies.
From their terms of use, note all the arbitrary fines. Reminds me in the 1990s of people threatening to sue junk e-mailers for $500 because they have fax-modems that count as fax machines.

LIQUIDATED DAMAGES. You further agree that if you violate
the TOU, or you encourage, support, benefit from, or induce others to
do so, you will be jointly and severally liable to us for liquidated
damages as follows for: (A) collecting/harvesting CL users'
information, including personal or identifying information - $1 per
violation; (B) publishing/misusing personal or identifying information
of a third party in connection with your use of CL without that party's
express written consent - $1,000 per violation; (C) misrepresenting
your identity or affiliation to anyone in connection with your use of
CL - $1,000 per violation; (D) posting or attempting to post Prohibited
Content - $4 per violation; (E) posting or attempting to post
Prohibited Content in any paid section of CL - the price per post
applicable to that section of CL; (F) sending an
unauthorized/unsolicited email to an email address obtained from CL -
$25 per violation; (G) using CL user information to make/send an
unauthorized/unsolicited text message, call, or communication to a CL
user - $500 per text/call/communication; (H) creating a misleading or
unlawful CL account or buying/selling a CL account - $4 per violation;
(I) abusing or attempting to abuse CL's flagging or reporting processes
- $1 per violation; (J) distributing any software to facilitate
violations of the USE Section - $1,000 per violation; (K) aggregating,
displaying, framing, copying, duplicating, reproducing, making
derivative works from, distributing, licensing, selling, or exploiting
CL content for any purpose without our express written consent - $3,000
for each day you engage in such violations; (L) requesting, viewing, or
accessing more than 1,000 pages of CL in any 24-hour period - $0.25 per
page during the 24 hour period after the first 1,000 pages; (M)
bypassing or attempting to bypass our moderation efforts - $4 per
violation. You agree that these amounts are (1) a reasonable estimate
of our damages (as actual damages are often difficult to calculate),
(2) not a penalty, and (3) not otherwise limiting on our ability to
recover under any legal theory or claim, including statutory damages
and other equitable relief (e.g., for spam, we can elect between the
above liquidated damages or statutory damages under the anti-spam
statute). You further agree that repeated violations of the USE section
will irreparably harm and entitle us to injunctive or equitable relief,
in addition to monetary damages.

A lot of it I get, but this is pretty funny...

(L) requesting, viewing, or
accessing more than 1,000 pages of CL in any 24-hour period - $0.25 per
page during the 24 hour period after the first 1,000 pages;

I'm guessing it has something to do with bots or something scanning ads, but still an odd thing to include.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
How would they go about collecting it?

If you post a car for sale it is $5. So they would have your cc info.

Originally Posted by 2010Civic
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
How would they go about collecting it?
If you post a car for sale it is $5. So they would have your cc info.

Most things do not cost to post for sale on CL, so (in my case) they would have nada--not that I would break any of those rules. But I would hazard a guess that you could fight it with your CC company because the charge would not have been authorized. CL has become a scamming pit for the most part. I have not sold anything on CL in a while--just replies from scammers. I stopped using it.

If you are privy on how to go about using CL and are able to sift through the BS, it can be a great platform to make some extra cash. Over the past 15 or so years, most, if not all of the places I have lived have been found on CL. And during that timeframe, I have sold in excess of 500 items and bought dozens of autos on CL. Never had a major issue. That's not to say the there aren't complete clowns/[censored] out there, because there are.

Last edited:
Facebook marketplace is now the most popular to buy sell online

Craigslist is old news now. And $5 fee to sell cars is gonna kill them also

Dave

Originally Posted by GMguy84

And they have twice the scammers as CL. At least on CL your ID is anonymous until you feel the other person out. On FB they see your page and most everything about you. I have a motorhome on both right now. On FB I get 5 questions a day asking, "Is this still available?" I reply 5 minutes later, Yes. Never hear back again. Glad they went to $5 ads on CL. Cuts down on the idiots listing their 200,000 mile clapped out '98 Civics for $4,000.

CL seems to have virtually nothing on it lately, compared to FB Marketplace, at least as far as automotive ads go. I think the $5 ad charge hurt somewhat, but the CL scammers & difficulty flagging an obvious scam ad has hurt them.

Dave

FB market place is terrible on the auto sales area. All i see are dealers and very few private party

I am not sure how much of the fines are actually collectable.

I always liked CL. Liked the $5 per car policy- CL was full of so very many scammers selling cars, or selling fake cars.

CL is not so useful anymore. A shame as I am not sure of a alternative, FB marketplace is above my pay grade.

Originally Posted by atikovi

And they have twice the scammers as CL. At least on CL your ID is anonymous until you feel the other person out. On FB they see your page and most everything about you. I have a motorhome on both right now. On FB I get 5 questions a day asking, "Is this still available?" I reply 5 minutes later, Yes. Never hear back again. Glad they went to $5 ads on CL. Cuts down on the idiots listing their 200,000 mile clapped out '98 Civics for $4,000.

That's not a scammer, that's just a deadbeat. Society is full of them no matter what platform you go on. The good part about Facebook market place is you can see someone's profile and have a pretty good idea if they are real or not. Lots of people will just message several ads asking if something is still available and then respond to whoever gets back to them with the best deal. Lots of people forget to take their ads down after selling an item.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Deadbeat? Why bother reading a listing and contacting someone if you have no interest in the item unless you're harvesting information or email addresses.

Lots of bored people out there with nothing to do apparently. Scammers are the ones who actually attempt to harvest your info by sending corrupt links or have listings that are fake. Most of the people on facebook are real, they are just lazy idiots who are terrible at communication.

Yes there are scammers on both. The good thing about FB Marketplace is it's hooked up to Messenger, which allows easy communication (and easy blocking) without giving out your phone number or email address.

"Is this still available" is the default message to start a conversation on FB Messenger about a FB Marketplace item. It took me a while to realize it was even changeable. 100% of the inquiries I've got on my listed items started with that. I didn't take any offense. Really, anyone who needs to carefully manage how other people communicate with them, is too highly strung to be using a free listing service.

When I sold the Honda (using FB Marketplace and FB Messenger), I had a car flipper desperate for me to drive over an hour just to drop it off for a lowball offer so he'd (he said) have a vehicle for his wife. Never mind a 5 year long car flipping history on his FB page. I had a lot of fun stringing him along... while I sold it to someone else.

I don't have anything against CL, I've just had zero luck with it. Listing, nothing but wackos and scammers. Buying, nothing but solds-still-listed or no-answers. After a while, I just stopped wasting my time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back