Home

Put my dog down

Posted By: dja4260

Put my dog down - 01/26/20 07:09 PM

I put my 9 year old dog down on Friday. His health was failing and he was in pain. My wife and I adopted him before we were married. We bought our first home to provide him a yard. He sat by our daughters crib and cried every time she cried. He got up and sat with my wife and children for every feeding.

I'm having trouble functioning as an adult due to the immense amount of grief.

How do dog owners subject themselves to this repeatedly? .....

Attached picture IMG_4448.PNG
Attached picture IMG_4447.jpg
Posted By: CT Rob

Re: Put my dog down - 01/26/20 07:18 PM

Sorry to hear. You gave him 9 great years of life in your home with your family.Time will heal
Posted By: Hombre909

Re: Put my dog down - 01/26/20 07:19 PM

The love we receive from our dogs is unconditional. A fantastic gift you received lasting nearly a decade. There is a book written a few years ago called "A Dog's Purpose", you need to get it and read it. You will come away with a different perspective not only on your life, but your dogs as well. My sincere condolences. Take care!
Posted By: SLO_Town

Re: Put my dog down - 01/26/20 07:19 PM

What a handsome hound! What was his name?

My sympathies to you, your wife, and your daughter. That handsome man will be missed by all of you.

I can feel your sorrow.

Scott
Posted By: FT92

Re: Put my dog down - 01/26/20 07:24 PM

always a hard thing to do...I had to put my husky down 8 years ago,,,was hard to do but he wouldn't have made it much longer the vet said...the best thing I did soon after that was get another rescue puppy...sure helped get over things...
Posted By: Papa Bear

Re: Put my dog down - 01/26/20 07:26 PM

My sympathies . The loss of a pet is right up there in feelings & emotions.
It looks like a loving family in those photos and you can lean on each other in your grief.

Bob
Posted By: Inspecktor

Re: Put my dog down - 01/26/20 07:26 PM

Sorry for the loss of your boy, he looked like quite the fellow. Having several leave the past two years, I would have to say the losses are very difficult, but not having one or more in the family is not an option. Our oldest dog passed this last summer, just shy of 16. Bear was a lab rottie mix and I was his buddy. He always preferred to be around me over my wife and girls, so it was especially hard to lose him. Things get better over time, and I cherish the time we had. He lived a very long life for a big dog,and I am thankful for that. Someday another one will find and claim you.
Posted By: JeffKeryk

Re: Put my dog down - 01/26/20 07:29 PM

Wow, 9 is really young... I am so sorry for your loss.
If he was suffering, then you did the best for him. Responsibility is tough.
He went to doggie heaven.

It may be too soon, but there are thousands of dogs that need a good home.
Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey

Re: Put my dog down - 01/26/20 07:35 PM

Thank you kind sir for giving him a wonderful life. Entropy takes such a painful toll on us, our friends and the world. Perhaps there is another four legged friend that is looking for his/her forever home.
Posted By: spasm3

Re: Put my dog down - 01/26/20 07:48 PM

So sorry to hear this, looks like a great dog and family member! What helped me was to think about the great life you gave him, and the joy you all shared. And that you gave him the gift of not suffering. Lots of animals don't get both of those. I wish for healing and blessings you and your family.

Bryan

Re: Put my dog down - 01/26/20 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by SLO_Town

My sympathies to you, your wife, and your daughter. That handsome man will be missed by all of you.

I can feel your sorrow.

Scott

His name was Brutus. He leaves behind a loving family of 4. My wife, myself, and two young children.
Posted By: Dave9

Re: Put my dog down - 01/26/20 07:57 PM

The best way to get over it is get a rambunctious puppy that gets into everything so you are preoccupied with that. It's not a replacement, but it is the beginning of a new relationship and a lot of dogs need homes.

Re: Put my dog down - 01/26/20 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dave9
The best way to get over it is get a rambunctious puppy that gets into everything so you are preoccupied with that. It's not a replacement, but it is the beginning of a new relationship and a lot of dogs need homes.

I can't as we have another dog that isn't receptive to puppies. She's grieving as well. She hasn't moved all day...
Posted By: SLO_Town

Re: Put my dog down - 01/26/20 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by dja4260
Originally Posted by SLO_Town

I can feel your sorrow.

Scott

His name was Brutus. He leaves behind a loving family of 4. My wife, myself, and two young children.

Your words say it all. I can feel your grief. He was one of the family. Some advice, save his favorite blanket and seal it up in a plastic bag. We did that when we lost Harley, my wife''s and my fifth Great Dane. I open the bag up once in awhile just to smell him. It seems like he's right there.

Scott
Posted By: Quattro Pete

Re: Put my dog down - 01/26/20 08:22 PM

Sorry to hear about your dog.

How do dog owners subject themselves to this repeatedly? .....
For this reason, my parents decided not to get another dog after their first one passed away after 17 years.

Posted By: Donald

Re: Put my dog down - 01/26/20 08:26 PM

It's tough, but hang in there. Celebrate the 9 years of joy he provided your family and that he could not have found a better family to adopt him.
Posted By: cjcride

Re: Put my dog down - 01/26/20 08:27 PM

Sorry Dja. Time is a healer
Posted By: 53' Stude

Re: Put my dog down - 01/26/20 08:31 PM

Very sorry for you and your family sir
Posted By: mrsilv04

Re: Put my dog down - 01/26/20 08:55 PM

I had a dog for 17 years, and he saved me having to put him down. He had a seizure, lost consciousness, and stopped breathing 5 minutes later... while I was on the phone with the vet, trying to get him some help. There was nothing that I could have done any faster.

That was over a year ago, and I still don't have another dog... and still don't have plans for another one. It hurts.

I lost my Mom, and then I lost this dog just six weeks later. Those were the two worst months of my life... August and September 2018.
Posted By: Sayjac

Re: Put my dog down - 01/26/20 09:02 PM

Sorry for your loss. Had to have our 13 year old springer put to sleep last year. A difficult decision and time period. Time helps heal. Have not gotten another dog, very doubtful we will. That said, I can't say never.
Posted By: maxdustington

Re: Put my dog down - 01/26/20 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dave9

I can't as we have another dog that isn't receptive to puppies. She's grieving as well. She hasn't moved all day...
Another dog?! At least you have another dog to keep you company. The worst is coming home to an empty house or seeing a similar dog to yours.
Posted By: Astro14

Re: Put my dog down - 01/26/20 09:12 PM

I am so very sorry for your loss. I’ve been there a few times. Dogs are great companions, and their loss is very painful.
Posted By: Railrust

Re: Put my dog down - 01/26/20 09:16 PM

So sorry for your loss, they are family.
Posted By: carviewsonic

Re: Put my dog down - 01/26/20 09:18 PM

I'm sorry for your loss. I'm glad you had the courage to not let him suffer any longer.

They really do become family members. Our little pooch brings so much joy to our home.
Posted By: KGMtech

Re: Put my dog down - 01/26/20 09:58 PM

We've had to do this thing 2x, and have our 3rd dog now...good question on why do we subject ourselves to this, so optional, so hard to explain to those who have not enjoyed a pet.

Companion animals make most of us into better people. They make most of us healthier in mind and body. I have this silly pillow in our living room, it has " I want to become the person my dog thinks I am" this gets to me on a level that some people can't relate to...who cares.

I feel for your loss. It is right to grieve, and some day you will get another animal and be glad & smile for the 9 years you shared with Brutus.
Posted By: dbias

Re: Put my dog down - 01/26/20 10:07 PM

So sorry. He no doubt was a big part of your life but you were his entire life.
Posted By: Starman2112

Re: Put my dog down - 01/26/20 10:15 PM

Losing a beloved family pet is tough. They are truly part of the family. My condolences to you and yours.
Posted By: Snagglefoot

Re: Put my dog down - 01/26/20 10:32 PM

Dogs to to Heaven. There is no doubt.
Posted By: demarpaint

Re: Put my dog down - 01/26/20 10:49 PM

Sorry for your loss.
Posted By: 4WD

Re: Put my dog down - 01/26/20 10:52 PM

Be everything that Brutus thinks you are = You'll be busy
Posted By: cjcride

Re: Put my dog down - 01/26/20 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Dogs go to Heaven. There is no doubt.

100% True
Posted By: JOD

Re: Put my dog down - 01/26/20 10:55 PM

sincere condolences. I think it's difficult for folks who don't have pets to really understand, but without question it's one of the hardest things to go through in life. I lost a 14 year old about a year ago, and it still stings. Time heals all wounds though, and is spirit now lives on in the small bundle of energy that's been running around the house the last couple few months. Good luck getting through it.
Posted By: Elkins45

Re: Put my dog down - 01/26/20 11:03 PM

It’s so sad that bigger breeds usually live shorter lives. Our Lab/Shepard mix beat the odds and made it to 14 before cancer got him this spring.

You subject yourself to it repeatedly because the total amount of happiness they give you is more than the pain of their loss, even though it doesn’t feel that way right now. Still, there’s no question that anyone who brings a dog into their lives is setting themselves up for an eventual heartache.
Posted By: vavavroom

Re: Put my dog down - 01/26/20 11:21 PM

I'm very sorry to hear that. He looks like a great dog in those pictures.
Posted By: Passport1

Re: Put my dog down - 01/26/20 11:23 PM

I didn't want to read this but I did. I had to put my beloved 14 year old dog over the rainbow a year ago and it still grieves me.

I know what your family is going through. I still can't replace my Buddy. [Linked Image]
Posted By: JHZR2

Re: Put my dog down - 01/26/20 11:26 PM

So sorry to hear that.

Subject to the grief repeatedly? Yeah, we didn’t. Granted we had a child coming when we lost out cat to a blood clot, but we’ve not replaced her.

Again, so sorry. So painful.
Posted By: CT8

Re: Put my dog down - 01/26/20 11:28 PM

losing a pet is losing part of your insides..Put extra thought and energy into your beautiful Children . Time helps get it better,,. that being said I miss everyone of my dogs and two of my Horses they were all so special.
Posted By: Bud

Re: Put my dog down - 01/26/20 11:38 PM

Sorry for your loss. It is sad to lose a member of the family. Pet's give unconditional love.
Posted By: Jackson_Slugger

Re: Put my dog down - 01/26/20 11:52 PM

It takes a while, man. That's all I can say. It's like putting down a member of the family. There is going to be guilt, survivor guilt, and just pain from empathizing. But they do not age the way we do, there is no way around that if you want pets in your life. And try to focus on the happy times you had and not just the ending. There are countless animals (and people) that have had vastly worse lives than your guy had. I guess that's a perspective, even if it still hurts...
Posted By: JLTD

Re: Put my dog down - 01/27/20 12:36 AM

Sad Day. I've had several of my own.

Let the healing begin, but never forget.
Posted By: JLawrence08648

Re: Put my dog down - 01/27/20 12:44 AM

Don't let the pain tell you you need another dog, you need to go through a grieving period for a while.

Almost makes you not want to get another dog because of the pain BUT the dog needed a family, a partner.

When you are ready, PetFinder.com

Mostly lists private rescues.

Re: Put my dog down - 01/27/20 12:46 AM

Thank you for all the kind words. It honestly helps. I don't really have a way to express my udder sadness other than crying with my wife. I've been second guessing the decision and keep picking apart our actions. Doing what's right, doesn't always feel right.
Posted By: AZjeff

Re: Put my dog down - 01/27/20 12:49 AM

So sorry for your loss. We've done it more times that I care to remember. Why? Because the joy and love they bring to our lives far outweighs the grief of losing them. Everyone is different but can't agree with rushing out and getting a new puppy or dog. We need time to grieve and adjust. We lost our wonderful 14 year old Harley in June of 2018. In October my wife decided it was time for another companion for our 7 year old male cattle dog who seemed lonely. We found a nice 8 week old female cattledog and though he doesn't like other dogs with some care they became best friends.

We're dog people and can't imagine life without a dog or 2. You lose every one but the last one, he loses you.

Give it some time, it's going to hurt for a while.
Posted By: SteveG4

Re: Put my dog down - 01/27/20 01:38 AM

Dogs ARE family members. Most dogs will take your love and return it 10X over.
Your family offered him a loving home. You guys will see him again.
He's crossed the Rainbow Bridge...

[Linked Image]

May you find it in your hearts to love another dog soon -- perhaps a shelter dog.
Posted By: frankbee3

Re: Put my dog down - 01/27/20 01:54 AM

I am sorry for your loss. My wife and I lost our dog about 6 years ago. We waited about a year or so before we adopted a rescue dog.

It is hard and everyone grieves differently. Hopefully another dog will come to your family again sometime.

Time helps somehow.
Posted By: Spartanfool

Re: Put my dog down - 01/27/20 02:11 AM

I have a friend who just lost his dog a few weeks ago. He posted some words of wisdom...

"Every dog I ever had...was the best dog I ever had."
Posted By: Wheel

Re: Put my dog down - 01/27/20 02:24 AM

I'm sorry for your loss. Remember all the good times, they'll carry you through the low times. Making a decision like this is certainly not something easy to do, but Is a thing that you do because of compassion and love.
Posted By: tdi jerry

Re: Put my dog down - 01/27/20 02:33 AM

Sorry for your lost my wife & I went through this a few years ago with our two four legged babies just months a part. Howie out 16 year old wire hair Dachshund had cancer in his mouth and we had to have him put to sleep. A few months later our other 14 year old baby had cancer in one of her eyes so we had to put her to sleep also. It hurts but it gets better with time.
Posted By: Triple_Se7en

Re: Put my dog down - 01/27/20 03:11 AM

Talk to Brutus every day, a few times per day. Do this for a few weeks at least. It will help him transition and eventually find his own brothers, sisters and parents that have passed. Tell Brutus to seek and become a companion of your friends and relatives that have passed in the past nine years too, as he awaits your family of four in coming decades, for an afterlife of eternal bliss.
Sure Brutus will miss your family of 4's close encounters of the past nine years. But you can be absolutely sure he remains with your household indefinitely - as a guardian and companion.

So Brutus is still around your home. He may even let you know he's around via an apparition, smell, bark.... or even a cold nose to your extended hand, as it hangs over the edge of your bed around midnight. You may even feel him pressed down on your mattress too - as you are about to doze off.

Wishing your family the best in this grieving process. Get another dog to help heal quicker.
Posted By: AC1DD

Re: Put my dog down - 01/27/20 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by Passport1
I didn't want to read this but I did. I had to put my beloved 14 year old dog over the rainbow a year ago and it still grieves me.

I know what your family is going through. I still can't replace my Buddy. [Linked Image]

Wow he's got such a dignified face. Sorry for your loss. His face almost has a human expression.

Re: Put my dog down - 01/27/20 10:58 AM

Unfortunately, that pic tells me it's a headache or general pain expression. But the good news is any pain now has vanished, for both Buddy and Brutus.
Be happy for both dogs well-spiritual-being now.
Posted By: dlundblad

Re: Put my dog down - 01/27/20 11:16 AM

Condolences.

He was a good looking dude.
Posted By: 2dogs

Re: Put my dog down - 01/27/20 12:00 PM

Sorry for the loss of your family member. I totally understand people who choose not to get another dog because they don't want to endure that deep feeling of loss.
Posted By: alarmguy

Re: Put my dog down - 01/27/20 12:36 PM

Sadly we all have to pass one day.
Look at the loss as he was one heck of a lucky dog to spend his days on this earth with you and your family as well as your family with him.
He could not have had a better life then with you.
Posted By: OVERKILL

Re: Put my dog down - 01/27/20 01:49 PM

Sorry for your loss, this is never easy frown
Posted By: RTexasF

Re: Put my dog down - 01/27/20 02:28 PM

I feel your pain literally as we just went through this same ordeal. Try to dwell on the comfort you gave and received rather than the loss.
Posted By: WylieCoyote

Re: Put my dog down - 01/27/20 03:18 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. The only explanation I can give for why we do this to ourselves over and over is that there is no amount of pain or grief that can overshadow the love. I personally rather be shot than feel that pain again (we lost Yogi summer 2018, and Teddy summer 2019). Just cling to the good times, the laughter, the joy and love they've brought you, and take the time to heal from it.

Attached picture Yogi.jpg
Attached picture Teddy.jpg
Posted By: Touring5

Re: Put my dog down - 01/27/20 10:37 PM

I'm going through the same thing, having put my dog down on 1/15. It's a painful decision and painful time. This is the 3rd dog I've had to go through this with (and one cat). It never gets easier, but the grief does eventually subside - it's different for each person and each time you go through it. We go on and they go to heaven.

Re: Put my dog down - 01/28/20 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Touring5
I'm going through the same thing, having put my dog down on 1/15. It's a painful decision and painful time. This is the 3rd dog I've had to go through this with (and one cat). It never gets easier, but the grief does eventually subside - it's different for each person and each time you go through it. We go on and they go to heaven.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

I find that arriving at home and not being greeted by 100lbs of slobbery kisses is the worst. I didn't cry today. Today was a good day.
Posted By: madRiver

Re: Put my dog down - 01/28/20 12:58 AM

Sorry about your dog. I never got another dog after my 12 year old one died.

They are a short lived things that you get really attached to frown

Re: Put my dog down - 01/31/20 01:40 PM

Today is one tough week. My wife and I decided to get a really nice blooming tree to plant for him. Friday is now "Bru-day." We will cheers to him.

Re: Put my dog down - 01/31/20 04:31 PM

Did you get him cremated? Will he be buried under the new tree?
Posted By: SteveSRT8

Re: Put my dog down - 01/31/20 04:42 PM

Man, my heart goes out to you. I buried my old friend Janet, a redtick coonhound, in my back yard under some trees. It'll still tear me up if I'm not careful.

Wait a few weeks and then get another pet. Life goes on, and it helps the heart to heal. Life happens in front of you, not behind!

Re: Put my dog down - 01/31/20 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Did you get him cremated? Will he be buried under the new tree?

Yes, I'm going to pick up his ashes after work today. He will be buried under the new tree.
Posted By: grampi

Re: Put my dog down - 01/31/20 05:38 PM

Sorry for your loss. Losing a dog is almost incomprehensively difficult...
© 2020 Bob Is The Oil Guy