How to keep people from using driveway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our house has a roundabout driveway. I am not a fan for the reason above, but wifey likes it minus the above reason so at least for now it has to stay.

It's nothing for us to be grilling at the porch only to have some car haul through the driveway to turn around. We've also had numerous close calls with our dogs. One time I was in the garage and heard some loud music.. a lady was parked on her phone texting. On top of everything else, the mailman uses our driveway as a turnaround and drives in the grass while also driving like a bat out of _____.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Originally Posted by eljefino
Leave a car in it.

Yep.

This is what I do.

Originally Posted by dareo
Remote control tire spikes would be cool

Then some jackwagon will need to get a tow out of your driveway!!

The other side of the coin is the people who act like they own right up to the street when the town has something like a 6-7' easement out there (at least around where I live).
Morons on my street put up markers right at the edge of our road in the winter and I don't get why the plows don't just take them right out...the road doesn't get plowed properly when they shy away from them.
I will respectfully use other people's driveway aprons ONLY to turn around on occasion because I know those are really town property, but I don't zip in and out and definitely don't spin/crank my tires.
Another moron on my street used the apron in front of my house to turn his moving truck around when he first moved in because he was too dumb to notice he was going to live on a circle...he completely cranked his tires from one extreme to the other with the truck stopped and left big circles on the asphalt. Couldn't complain too much as it wasn't really my pavement even though I do pay to have it sprayed every few years, but he was still an idiot.

I saw a few of these when I was in the UK. Maybe I should market and sell remote control ones here for North America?

I often see signs saying No U turn in people's driveways. I often wonder what prompted them to erect the sign as they seem live in the middle of nowhere it seems U turns would be few and far between.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
I saw a few of these when I was in the UK. Maybe I should market and sell remote control ones here for North America?

Never Mind The Bollards??
That looks like a complicated installation, though.

Maybe some prominent sign like "Guarded By S&W" would help?

Originally Posted by Leo99
I often see signs saying No U turn in people's driveways. I often wonder what prompted them to erect the sign as they seem live in the middle of nowhere it seems U turns would be few and far between.

Probably it turns out often enough that they have the only driveway in the vicinity when somebody gets lost in their remote area and needs to turn around...and maybe somebody who is really lost turns around there 5-6 times.

TTFN

Problem with any methods of blocking your driveway is that they will be a pain in the butt for you as well.

I try to avoid using people's driveways to turn around (as in, pull in a minimal amount so I can get turned around in the other direction) but if I do, I'll either back in or turn off my headlights (especially at night) to avoid possibly shining in their windows.

I've been pretty lucky with my U-shaped driveway. The only person who goes through it besides us is the mail lady. Instead of walking the additional ten feet from the road to drop off a package she idles through the driveway get closer to our front porch. She exits the same way she came, so it's not as if she's using it as a turn-around.

At least she doesn't leave our packages at the end of the walkway leading to our front porch or right in front of one of the garage doors, as some other delivery carriers do... So long as she actually walks the packages all the way to our front door, I couldn't care less about her using our driveway.

Originally Posted by Dave9
Land mines and sharks with lasers.

Sharks with lasers?!? That's preposterous!!

Now if you get some land mines with lasers, THAT'S the way to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back