Home

Please help me with hanging a picture!

Posted By: DriveHard

Please help me with hanging a picture! - 01/07/20 08:55 PM

Ok, ok, ok...I am not that dumb, but I have a unique problem.

I bought my wife a picture similar to the one below...she LOVES the mountains, and LOVES the picture. Here is my problem.

She wants it hung above our fireplace on a slanted ceiling. It is the perfect spot, as when we lay in bed we can look right at it, but it poses some challenges...

First it is about a 45 degree angle
It is a light popcorn like texture (not bad, but enough that makes adhesive solutions tough)
I don't want a million holes all over my walls...

I tried a thick industrial strength double sided tape. In time, they all fell off the wall...some of them taking chucks of the texturing off with them.

So...what is a hole-less solution that would work?

Attached picture mountains.PNG

Re: Please help me with hanging a picture! - 01/07/20 08:58 PM

Ok, I found the picture I took when I had it hung up with the sticky tape. This is the actual picture and wall.

Attached picture IMG_1788.jpg
Posted By: kschachn

Re: Please help me with hanging a picture! - 01/07/20 09:16 PM

Woo, holy cow you attached that to the ceiling with sticky tape?

Just my opinion but I'd not put that up with anything that didn't require holes.
Posted By: toneydoc

Re: Please help me with hanging a picture! - 01/07/20 09:18 PM

Take it back to the store
Posted By: Aredeeem

Re: Please help me with hanging a picture! - 01/07/20 09:24 PM

My faith in double sided tape is limited to keeping a cabinet in my laundry room from flopping open. My hats off to you!
Posted By: ondarvr

Re: Please help me with hanging a picture! - 01/07/20 09:31 PM

Why no holes?

Attach a flat surface to the studs and fasten the pics to it.
Posted By: dpaldino

Re: Please help me with hanging a picture! - 01/07/20 09:32 PM

Perhaps a small, clear acrylic hanger much like you might use to mount a full length mirror on a wall or a closet door. In addition to the sticky tape you used to get them in the position you want, put one on the top and one on the bottom of each section of the painting. Of course if this is in the bedroom, I'd sleep with two pillows; one under my head and one over it because if these fall off, there is no guarantee they come straight down.
Posted By: demarpaint

Re: Please help me with hanging a picture! - 01/07/20 09:35 PM

Sticky tape? That is a fireplace isn't it? Gas or wood doesn't matter. If so do you use that fireplace? If the answer is yes, that tape is a poor choice. In fact either way it was a poor choice.
Posted By: Imp4

Re: Please help me with hanging a picture! - 01/07/20 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by DriveHard
...First it is about a 45 degree angle
It is a light popcorn like texture (not bad, but enough that makes adhesive solutions tough)

Do they make a double sided Gorilla Tape???
Be aware, any tape product you use will only be as strong as the bond between the popcorn texture and the ceiling.
It doesn't help if the tape sticks to the popcorn but the popcorn rips off the ceiling.

Re: Please help me with hanging a picture! - 01/07/20 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Imp4
Originally Posted by DriveHard
...First it is about a 45 degree angle

Do they make a double sided Gorilla Tape???
Be aware, any tape product you use will only be as strong as the bond between the popcorn texture and the ceiling.
It doesn't help if the tape sticks to the popcorn but the popcorn rips off the ceiling.

Good point. I would hope the OP scraped the popcorn in the areas of the tape to at least give it a fighting chance. But even so I have little faith in the tape for that application.
Posted By: Imp4

Re: Please help me with hanging a picture! - 01/07/20 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by demarpaint

Good point. I would hope the OP scraped the popcorn in the areas of the tape to at least give it a fighting chance. But even so I have little faith in the tape for that application.

I can't imagine he would scrape the popcorn off if he doesn't even want the mounting holes.
But as they say, wonders never cease ...
Posted By: JustN89

Re: Please help me with hanging a picture! - 01/07/20 10:24 PM

Try Earthquake or Museum putty. The stuff works really well. Here's a link to some that can be found on Amazon, though you should be able to get some at the bigger hardware stores. My only concern would be how well it will stick to the textured surface, but it's worth a shot.
Posted By: Oldtom

Re: Please help me with hanging a picture! - 01/07/20 10:36 PM

I know you said minimal holes. How about attaching two lengths of 1 by 3 into the studs with drywall screws. Run the 1 by 3 horizontally behind the pictures. This makes 4 holes which are very easy to fill/conceal on a textured surface. The pictures can be attached to the 1 by 3 with small screws. The proximity of a fireplace makes adhesive a dicey proposition as I can see the heat softening the bond.

There are spray cans of popcorn finish if you ever decide to sell the home or just get tired of the paintings.

Re: Please help me with hanging a picture! - 01/07/20 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by demarpaint

I can't imagine he would scrape the popcorn off if he doesn't even want the mounting holes.
But as they say, wonders never cease ...

I guess. shrug I look at it differently. Popcorn ceilings are very easy to touch up. If I really wanted the pictures in that location I'd do it so they stay put.
Posted By: Kira

Re: Please help me with hanging a picture! - 01/08/20 12:18 AM

Scrap the idea of hanging framed, print or even poster art on that ceiling.

Projection is the answer.
Posted By: doitmyself

Re: Please help me with hanging a picture! - 01/08/20 01:51 AM

Oldtom is correct. Great minds think alike. Pre-drill the screw holes into drywall for the least amount of damage, but don't oversize the hole into the wood.
Posted By: maxdustington

Re: Please help me with hanging a picture! - 01/08/20 02:31 AM

What is their construction? Is there a frame, or are they pieces of foam? You could nail/staple and possibly glue them depending on those variables. You won't see the nail holes in the pictures standing on the floor, and they will disappear in the stucco ceiling.

You just have to find the studs and mark them.
Posted By: ClutchDisc

Re: Please help me with hanging a picture! - 01/08/20 02:43 AM

Just use command brand picture hanging strips. They work wonders with no holes! Just make sure you get a high lbs rating for them. I would go higher on the rating since you are basically hanging that on the ceiling.
Posted By: Kira

Re: Please help me with hanging a picture! - 01/08/20 12:17 PM

Command products won't work for 1 second on popcorn.
Posted By: PimTac

Re: Please help me with hanging a picture! - 01/08/20 12:27 PM

Don’t expect that sticky tape to last long. There are hangers specifically for this kind of situation. Aluminum rail types are good. You will have to drill some holes.
Posted By: Eddie

Re: Please help me with hanging a picture! - 01/08/20 01:13 PM

Attach the pictures to a sub-frame and attach the frame to the wall . ed
Posted By: supton

Re: Please help me with hanging a picture! - 01/08/20 01:39 PM

I'd drill holes. I hate touching up sheetrock but that is so far above the floor that minor imperfections (if you go to remove the pictures) would never been seen.

Re: Please help me with hanging a picture! - 01/08/20 08:46 PM

HA! This site cracks me up sometimes ;-)

The fireplace directly under them is wood, and only used a handful of times on "special" nights ;-) Obviously our bed is not under the pictures...it would be too close to the fire! The head of our bed is centered on the wall opposite of the fireplace.

Thanks for all the advice. Yup, I scraped the areas the tape was stuck down, and wiped it with alcohol. They stayed up there for over 6 months before the first one fell... Obviously some of you have no history of good quality double sided industrial sticky tape. It is amazing stuff!!! I use it all the time. I am thinking it is great at shear loading, but maybe not so good when there is a negative normal force. Anyways...again, thank you.

I really like the ideas of using the 1x2's or metal frame...and that will most likely be my course of action. Thank you!
Posted By: ClutchDisc

Re: Please help me with hanging a picture! - 01/09/20 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Kira
Command products won't work for 1 second on popcorn.

Hmmm, I wonder why I have had a very heavy photo up on my stucco wall for well over a year, with, yep you guessed it, command strips. I guess that it should have fallen many many months ago according to your statement. Have you even tried using command strips on stucco???
© 2020 Bob Is The Oil Guy