Anyone knows outdoorsy magazine that are US only?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are not into camping yet but we like to do day hikes/treks. Finding good places to do such hikes is not easy. I have been checking Alltrails for a few months now and it is a good starting point but the information about the hikes is extremely limited. I came across Backpacker magazine, which is awesome but it is for experienced folks and we (as a family) are not at all experienced.

I have scoured through travel boards as well but not much luck.

Does anyone know such outdoorsy magazines that focus solely on the US outdoorsy lifestyle (summer as well as winter)?

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure how much more detail you're looking for. There is an old things such as books such as AMC which will give you a trail description. But that's basically about it, usually just a page or less. Probably about the same as Alltrails.com. Outdoor stores such as EMS or REI usually have a small book section and you could try that.

The National Geographic guides of the park/area will be the best you'll get for an overall guide. Alltrails comes in a close second but because that's all user-contribution, information on the less popular hikes is limited.

Something like this is pretty good. I skimmed this particular version a few months ago while I was at a Theodore National Park visitor center: https://www.amazon.com/National-Geographic-Guide-United-States/dp/1426216513

I typically ask at the decent outdoor stores, the ranger station (White Mountain National Forest) and internet to figure it out. Maybe someone blogs still.

Backpacker magazine has an online forum that is a good source of info. Asking a question usually gets you several good answers.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
You have lots of beautiful options like the New York Catskills.

I think your making things too complicated and/or are scared to throw your feet into it.

https://www.outdoorproject.com/travel/8-best-hikes-new-yorks-catskills

+1 for outdoor project. They've got a better user contribution for specific hikes. Less content but better quality if you can find your hike or hiking ideas from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back