Home

Cheapest option for insurance?

Posted By: cwilliamsws6

Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/05/19 07:31 PM

I am 18, currently a high school senior. Insured through State Farm at the moment,.

On my Honda CR-V, my insurance is $160 a month for FULL coverage.

I recently found a 1991 Trans Am with the 305 TPI on marketplace and really want to buy it as a project car because I can afford it, but for me to insure that, I'd be paying $325 a month for the BARE MINIMUM coverage...

If I ever found my dream car (a 2002 WS6) surely I'd be paying $500 a month or something equally stupid.

Anyone know of a decently cheap insurance company I could cover a ~20 year old sports car through where I wouldn't be paying so much that after 6 months of insurance I could have used that money towards a 3rd car?
This is seriously annoying... ugh
Posted By: Chris142

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/05/19 07:35 PM

We recently switched to Ameriprise through Costco. They absolutely smoked the competition in price.
Posted By: dareo

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/05/19 07:35 PM

You just gotta get older. $160 sounds really cheap for your age.
Posted By: sopususer

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/05/19 07:36 PM

In my experience State Farm is usually one of the more expensive companies for auto insurance. If I were in your shoes, I'd shop my coverage with a couple of independent agents who represent a variety of companies. Not sure if any of these are licensed in Ohio, but I have had good luck with rates from Pennsylvania National, Erie, Farm Bureau and Kemper. Only way to know for sure is to shop your business with a couple of different agents.

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/05/19 07:42 PM

I'll look into all the above. Thanks y'all!
Posted By: BMWTurboDzl

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/05/19 07:43 PM

Sounds like you're into cars. Maybe convert it into a track car and only drive it on the track where you buy coverage for the event? grin2

In all seriousness this is a conversation you should have with your parents because in some states they are ultimately liable for your stupidity until you're around 26.
Posted By: Miller88

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/05/19 07:43 PM

For your age and full coverage on a vehicle, that isn't terrible.

When I bought the Cherokee back in 20010 I was 21 and State Farm quoted me $350 .... a MONTH for liability only. I quickly canceled and switched to a different insurance company! That was absolutely ridiculous.

I've been switching between Geico, Esurance and Progressive over the years. Though, now that I have the F350, Esurance isn't an option.
Posted By: Donald

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/05/19 07:48 PM

It will go down by the time you are 25 or 30. Patience.

You can get a project car and not insure it while its off the road being worked on. Off road = no plates.
Posted By: user52165

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/05/19 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by cwilliamsws6
I am 18, currently a high school senior. Insured through State Farm at the moment,.

I recently found a 1991 Trans Am with the 305 TPI on marketplace and really want to buy it as a project car because I can afford it, but for me to insure that, I'd be paying $325 a month for the BARE MINIMUM coverage...

If I ever found my dream car (a 2002 WS6) surely I'd be paying $500 a month or something equally stupid.

Anyone know of a decently cheap insurance company I could cover a ~20 year old sports car through where I wouldn't be paying so much that after 6 months of insurance I could have used that money towards a 3rd car?

Bundle with your parents. I am all for independence when possible and laud your efforts, but in this case, assuming you're living at home, it is the only way.

Forget the Trans Am for now. You have plenty of time for other cars later.

And be the best driver ever. No tickets or accidents.
Posted By: grampi

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/05/19 07:58 PM

If you or either of your parents are a vet, you would qualify for USAA...no other company can touch their rates or service...

Fair enough. With school and work I wouldn't even have time to enjoy the thing.

But my god, the newcaritis is setting in hard lol.
Posted By: Wolf359

Check with insurance companies that sell insurance for classic cars. Usually there's some requirement that the car not be driven for more than 2500 miles a year so if it's a project car, keep the miles down on it and the insurance could be dirt cheap. A friend of mine has an old Firebird and insurance is under $500 a year.
Posted By: PimTac

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/05/19 08:01 PM

Teenagers and sports cars equal 🔝 premium rates. If you find a cheaper premium check the policy. Chances are it’s more restrictive.
Posted By: hallstevenson

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/05/19 08:17 PM

You're paying too much and you can point the finger solely at State Farm (presuming you have a clean driving record). Our son has a '12 Accord EX-L V6 with full coverage and pays about $120/month. He isn't on our policy anymore either (the loan on his car is in his name so we can't cover it) so this is his own, separate policy. We use Erie, FWIW.

Are you on your parent's policy ? It's obviously cheaper this way so keep it like that if you can. Then again, to do that, it means they must "own" the vehicles (or at least be co-owners). If you were to buy a TA, will you be driving it right away ? If not, you can get some bare minimum coverage that excludes driving it since it's a "project car".
Posted By: Donald

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/05/19 08:20 PM

Your rates will be cheaper if you choose a Yugo or Pinto as project car.
Posted By: rooflessVW

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/05/19 08:25 PM

Cheap insurance is very often poor insurance.

You want a company that will pay you, if and when the time comes. That is, after all, the entire point.

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/05/19 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Donald
Your rates will be cheaper if you choose a Yugo or Pinto as project car.

Maybe a Yugo, can you even find a Pinto anymore?

Posted By: AZjeff

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/05/19 08:27 PM

Full coverage on a 12 year old CR-V is silly but $160/month sounds manageable. Don't get tickets or have at-fault accidents and your rates will go down hopefully about the time you stop giving your cars goofy names.

If you drop your insurance and get on your parents when you get your own again you'll have no history and rates will be high for another year or 2. Forget performance cars until you can afford all the expenses. They'll still be out there.
Posted By: irad

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/05/19 08:28 PM

Find out what your monthly premium would be for just liability. A 2007 Civic might not be worth the premium for collision, fire and theft.
Posted By: John_K

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/05/19 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by grampi
If you or either of your parents are a vet, you would qualify for USAA...no other company can touch their rates or service...

When I met my wife, she had USAA and I had Erie. We went with Erie because it was cheaper and have always had great sERvIcE.
Posted By: JeffKeryk

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/05/19 08:53 PM

I aso have Costco Ameriprise.
Each company has people and cars they like and don't like.
Costco and Geico are good, if you can get it.
Use the online calculators and do some shopping.

Good luck.
Posted By: paulri

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/05/19 09:09 PM

I would recommend Mercury. When I switched my wife & I from Farmers to Mercury, we were getting our home AND car insurance from Mercury for less than Farmers was giving the car policies alone. So it does pay to shop around. I have filed a couple of claims from Mercury and I was more than satisfied with their service.
Posted By: shiny

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/05/19 10:53 PM

Look into AAA. I had GEICO for years. They kept going up even though I never made a claim. It got to where they wanted about $80 a month for liability-only on my Crown Vic. With AAA I only pay $45 a month and have way more coverage (300K/500K). I have to pay for a AAA membership but even with that I'm still saving over GEICO.

A kind word of advice to insurance shoppers: Don't scrimp on liability to save a few bucks. It doesn't cost that much more to carry a decent amount. The young man who killed my husband carried a whopping $15K which was split between me and my stepson. That's all he thought a life was worth. I'm sure he paid more for his cigarettes and cell phone plan than he did for insurance.
Posted By: AZjeff

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/05/19 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by shiny
A kind word of advice to insurance shoppers: Don't scrimp on liability to save a few bucks. It doesn't cost that much more to carry a decent amount. The young man who killed my husband carried a whopping $15K which was split between me and my stepson. That's all he thought a life was worth. I'm sure he paid more for his cigarettes and cell phone plan than he did for insurance.

Well put and sorry for your loss. Been there too.
Posted By: Driz

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/05/19 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by John_K

When I met my wife, she had USAA and I had Erie. We went with Erie because it was cheaper and have always had great sERvIcE.

I have to say I agree about USAA being anything but a deal. I know people would’ve raved about them had them forever and ever and ever so I decided to give them a call. Dear God by the time I get done with that ordeal I was ready to slam the phone down . I mean it took an hour and a half to two hours literally and they didn’t even get into the ballpark. That was bundled with home but they still couldn’t come close to what I had . I’m over 60 and haven’t had a ticket since the 80s. I guess as usual I was in the wrong army or something🤦🏻‍♂️

I also would find full coverage to be very questionable on any older car. Keep the deductible hi might be an option as well. As always it pays to call around and further to see if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. Personally in our few dealings with them I have to say when it come to trust I put them somewhere between a used car dealer and a career politician🤨
Posted By: shiny

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/05/19 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by AZjeff

Well put and sorry for your loss. Been there too.

My sincere condolences. God bless you.
Posted By: atikovi

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/06/19 12:28 AM

That should be old enough for collector car insurance. I pay $150 a year for a modded '99 Formula.
Posted By: Nick1994

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/06/19 05:51 AM

Just need to wait it out. I was always on the hunt trying to figure out how to make insurance cheap when I was younger (25 now). It just doesn't really happen.

The way to do it with insurance is to find an INDEPENDENT insurance agent. The guy I have can quote basically any insurance (within reason). That way you don't have to get quotes from each individual company, they do all the work for you. Anyone in AZ send me a PM I can send his info over.

Here are my suggestions:
1. Get rid of full coverage on that CRV. No way Jose.
2. Keep your driving record clean.

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/06/19 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Driz

I have to say I agree about USAA being anything but a deal. I know people would’ve raved about them had them forever and ever and ever so I decided to give them a call. Dear God by the time I get done with that ordeal I was ready to slam the phone down . I mean it took an hour and a half to two hours literally and they didn’t even get into the ballpark. That was bundled with home but they still couldn’t come close to what I had . I’m over 60 and haven’t had a ticket since the 80s. I guess as usual I was in the wrong army or something🤦🏻‍♂️

I also would find full coverage to be very questionable on any older car. Keep the deductible hi might be an option as well. As always it pays to call around and further to see if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. Personally in our few dealings with them I have to say when it come to trust I put them somewhere between a used car dealer and a career politician🤨

I don't know what to tell you guys. I shop around once a year for lower rates and none of the companies I've contacted have even come close to USAA's rates. Also, my wife had an at fault accident this past spring that totaled out our van and the vehicle she hit. Not only did our premiums not go up, they actually went down...try to get that from another insurance company...
Posted By: BMWTurboDzl

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/06/19 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Driz

I don't know what to tell you guys. I shop around once a year for lower rates and none of the companies I've contacted have even come close to USAA's rates. Also, my wife had an at fault accident this past spring that totaled out our van and the vehicle she hit. Not only did our premiums not go up, they actually went down...try to get that from another insurance company...

The biggest knock on USAA was that they never offered multi-line discounts which was why I dropped them 20 yrs ago. USAA doesn't actually group all their customers in the same pool either. There's a pool for enlisted for officers and one for bad drivers.
Posted By: Mr Nice

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/06/19 02:20 PM

Hold off on buying any car that will stretch your finances.
Posted By: Schmoe

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/06/19 03:39 PM

I guess you Yankee's get better USAA rates than us in the south because they were the most expensive car insurance option, period. I had been with them for years and no accidents/tickets..that sort of thing....and one year their rates went stupid high. Their homeowners insurance, at least here, is crazy expensive too. I know I'm in the tornado belt, but geesh. I got a 16 year old so I am reading EVERY comment to learn what I can on all-things-car-insurance. Wife was involved in a t-bone accident last year, not her fault, other driver got a ticket. Totaled the 14 CRV and she had to have surgery/rehab.....I don't care what you do or get, do not get FARMERS. They suck. They will not work with us, they want to settle....this way before she found out that surgery is the only thing to fix her shoulder from the side whiplash. To this day, we still don't know what kind of coverage the other driver had. So, we had to get a lawyer and Farmers still will not pay for anything. So, I had to use our Federal BCBS to cover all the rehab and operation....out of pocket so far has been around 3K. Of course, we had to tell BCBS, so ANY settlement....we have to pay back BCBS for what they covered....I just can't believe why it's so dang difficult for my wife, she did NOTHING but is literally paying for this. I can see how lawyers get involved now. From my own personal research, cheaper insurance is cheaper coverage. I'd be willing to bet that 75% of all drivers have the state minimum. Believe me, you need to protect yourself. Case in point....if Farmers doesn't cover all the medical expenses AND all the other money we lost, like driving to rehab, taking time off work, tolls, etc. etc....you better believe I'm suing this guy for everything. It didn't have to be this way.

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/06/19 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by AZjeff
If you drop your insurance and get on your parents when you get your own again you'll have no history and rates will be high for another year or 2. Forget performance cars until you can afford all the expenses. They'll still be out there.
That is probably how our son pays a fair amount less on a newer car than the OP. We have Erie and he was on our policy and when he bought his car, they just spun him off. That maintained his (good, albeit short) history with Erie.

A kind word of advice to insurance shoppers: Don't scrimp on liability to save a few bucks. It doesn't cost that much more to carry a decent amount.

Sad thing is, companies like Progressive, Geico, etc will offer very low liability coverage to people that are "shopping" and this is why they frequently seem like really inexpensive insurance carriers. My wife was hit by a driver who was borrowing someone's car. The driver had no insurance coverage himself, which is legal, but the car's owner had $15k liability (state minimum in Ohio at the time). Our outcome was nowhere like yours but my wife and son both went to the hospital (son just had bumps and bruises - he had taken off his shoulder belt and hit his head on the seat back in front of him; wife had neck injuries and minor injuries on her legs). Our vehicle was totalled too. That $15k didn't come anywhere close to covering the costs.
Posted By: skyactiv

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/06/19 04:01 PM

You can get a SR22 liability only for 750 a year @18 in Ohio.
Posted By: GoldDot40

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/06/19 04:20 PM

There are way too many variables involved in calculating insurance premiums from person to person for anybody here to tell you who will be your best choice. Location, age, driving record, credit score, marital status, vehicle, etc. A company that has the best rates for one...may be totally the opposite for somebody else....even in a comparable age group.

The ONLY thing to do is shop. It may be worth your time to talk to a local agent who can run your information through multiple underwriters to see who comes back with the best package.

Posted By: madRiver

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/06/19 05:01 PM

Have your parents if willing insure the project car especially if you barely drive it.

On your CRV why on would carry full coverage on 2007 with 200k miles? I would "risk" tha limited valuet even with no money to replace given you are in high school.

Personally I would wait and the most stupid thing in my youth was buying a financed(10.9%!!!!) car at age 21 that required nearly $1500/year insurance. My previous paid for car age 18-21 cost me $400/year liability only. I thought repairing it was painful then took on a $200 month payment for car + $100/month for insurance increase. That buys a lot of repairs!

Posted By: JTK

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/06/19 05:13 PM

Like said above, paying for collision coverage on a 2007 Honda CRV is silly.

You'll probably only save $30/month given your age by dumping the collision coverage, but count your blessings that you're only a bit over $100/month. That's CHEAP for a young guy!

Also like said, make sure you have decent liability coverage. You likely don't have much in terms of assets, so don't sweat that too badly.

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/06/19 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by madRiver
Have your parents if willing insure the project car especially if you barely drive it.

On your CRV why on would carry full coverage on 2007 with 200k miles? I would "risk" tha limited valuet even with no money to replace given you are in high school.

Personally I would wait and the most stupid thing in my youth was buying a financed(10.9%!!!!) car at age 21 that required nearly $1500/year insurance. My previous paid for car age 18-21 cost me $400/year liability only. I thought repairing it was painful then took on a $200 month payment for car + $100/month for insurance increase. That buys a lot of repairs!

What car did you buy at 21 ?
Posted By: madRiver

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/07/19 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Nice

What car did you buy at 21 ?

1995 Honda Civic Coupe. 1 year later did luckiest financial move buying a $100k home with 3% down!
Posted By: Ws6

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/07/19 09:11 AM

I drove a 2001 ws.6 when I was early 20s. It was $160ish for liability. Honestly? Your age is screwing you man. You have a very good insurance company, dont go cheap on insurance. I've sued the [censored] out of some companies for being chintzy. You dont want to be on the receiving end of that, should the person suing decide they arent satisfied with just wrecking the company's liability footprint.
Posted By: alarmguy

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/07/19 02:10 PM

Go ahead, I dare you!
I am a person who could CARE LESS what the name of the insurance company is. I could care less about comments about service and getting paid for something that will never happen and if it does happen, guess what? You will get paid as insurance is one of the highest government regulated industries in the country. You will get paid.

So with that said, since after almost 4 decades of driving low price ALWAYS wins, I change insurance companies on EVERYTHING I own at the flip of a dime, any time of year, doesnt matter if its in the middle of the policy term, Ill cancel and switch. Doesnt matter if its our boat, bike, truck, car or home.
Low price wins.
One interesting company I have found, which I cant remember the last time I had the same insurance company for more then 2 years, so far, no one has been able to beat them in those two years.

So I am still with them, just keep in mind it is impossible to talk about the lowest priced insurance in a forum, you need to get online and gets quotes, gosh, its so easy to do, takes minutes for each company right on your computer, you dont even have to get out of your chair!

Anyway... I suggest checking this one AND 3 others of your choosing, if you have been with the same insurance company for more then 5 years, You ARE paying too much.
https://www.esurance.com
Posted By: levi

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/07/19 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by alarmguy

Anyway... I suggest checking this one AND 3 others of your choosing, if you have been with the same insurance company for more then 5 years, You ARE paying too much.

Having been with Allstate on auto and homeowners for some time, how or why would esurance recommend anyone else (for me) when they are owned by Allstate?

Not challenging your advice, just don't understand how they could be neutral on recommendations.

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/08/19 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by GoldDot40
There are way too many variables involved in calculating insurance premiums from person to person for anybody here to tell you who will be your best choice.

Exactly right. I see it all the time, some kid asking how much insurance will cost them on car model "a". That's all they give info on. Not that matters if people knew the location, the person's driving record, their credit rating, etc, etc, no one can give practical numbers.
Posted By: JTK

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/08/19 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
..... the location, the person's driving record, their credit rating, etc, etc, no one can give practical numbers.

That's exactly right, although no matter what, it's going to be about double the cost for an 18yr/old male regardless.

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/08/19 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by levi

Having been with Allstate on auto and homeowners for some time, how or why would esurance recommend anyone else (for me) when they are owned by Allstate?

Not challenging your advice, just don't understand how they could be neutral on recommendations.

Huh?
Esurance is an insurance company they don't recommend anybody and if you've read my entire post that was one recommendation with the recommendation to check three others.
Posted By: levi

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/08/19 12:09 PM

Huh?
Esurance is an insurance company they don't recommend anybody and if you've read my entire post that was one recommendation with the recommendation to check three others.

I did read your entire post. I even quoted the part with your recommendation to check three others. Maybe you didn't read my post.

Not being familiar with Esurance, I mistakenly thought they were a company that compared policies for you and then provided a recommendation, like The Zebra or Compare.com.
Posted By: Astro14

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/08/19 02:53 PM

This was once true.

But, USAA was charging me $4,000/year for several cars, and several drivers.

GEICO charges me $1,700/year. Same cars, same drivers.

My last claim with USAA was in 2006. Horrible experience, horrible service. Undervalued my car by 50%, half of KBB, half of Edmunds, half of what I could borrow from USAA Savings Bank to buy that car . Totaled it, instead of fixing it, left me without a car.

"Superior service" is their claim. Calling me "Captain" on the phone is nice, but meanwhile, they're charging me more than double and cheaping out on a claim. That is NOT superior service and is NOT a good value.

Be very careful with USAA. They've lost their way.

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/08/19 03:00 PM

Huh?

I did read your entire post. I even quoted the part with your recommendation to check three others. Maybe you didn't read my post.

Not being familiar with Esurance, I mistakenly thought they were a company that compared policies for you and then provided a recommendation, like The Zebra or Compare.com.

Its all good, yes, I know you quoted me but in your response you were questioning one company when I mentioned everyone should be checking 3 or more.

Again, no big deal... not the reason for my response, below is the reason *L*.

In case you aren't aware esurance.com is own by Allstate, Allstate purchased them in 2011. However the rates are better then Allstate for the majority of people, me included, I never in my life carried Allstate insurance, to expensive for me, no one comes close for me personally as esurance. As we know, insurance varies for everyone based on credit score, location, insurance history ect.

.. esurance is a wholly owned subsidiary of Allstate they still are their own business, which is online insurance only.
More or less, like many corporations, they own many brands and different profit models as well as different products.

For the life of me, (and I am trying) I just cant find a better price on car insurance, even though I just renewed my policy with them days ago. I was just one some websites trying to find a better price, if I found one, I would switch right away.

Unrelated = I switched homeowners insurance no less then 5 times over the last 13 years. Low price always wins, it has enabled me to keep my premium around 5 to $600 lower over those years, anytime there is a price increase, I simple find a better price. Heck, dont even know who they are off the top of my head, have to look in my files *L*

Posted By: kschachn

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/08/19 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Chris142
We recently switched to Ameriprise through Costco. They absolutely smoked the competition in price.

Because of your post, I checked into it as well. Holy cow, the homeowner's was about 1/3 less and the automobile was less than half what I was paying through Nationwide. Thanks for the tip.

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/08/19 03:36 PM

^^ Great to hear! ^^

and why people need to shop around ...
Being loyal to any insurance company simply means you are being loyal to their profit making... :o)

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/08/19 03:36 PM

Be aware that while these nonstandard insurance companies may cost a lot less month to month, they very well may be nightmare to deal with when you submit a claim. Nonstandard companies almost always find ways to weasel out of paying legitimate claims in full. Best to read the fine print before putting your signature on anything.

Next time you're close to an automotive bodyshop, stop in and ask them which companies give the best service. Their answers may surprise you.

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/08/19 04:04 PM

Be aware that while these nonstandard insurance companies may cost a lot less month to month, they very well may be nightmare to deal with when you submit a claim. Nonstandard companies almost always find ways to weasel out of paying legitimate claims in full. Best to read the fine print before putting your signature on anything.

Next time you're close to an automotive bodyshop, stop in and ask them which companies give the best service. Their answers may surprise you.

^^That to me would be asking my auto dealer, which is the best oil ^^

Price wins for me, always, also there is no such thing as "non standard" insurance company. Its either an insurance company or not and its the most regulated industry in the United States.
The rest is all marketing, just like oil. I have saved literally what must be over $10,000 on insurance over my lifetime by not being loyal to anyone but my wallet including gasoline I put in my vehicles, price wins ... :o)

I dont understand why people think their insurance company is special in some way anymore then what gas they put in their car or what brand milk they buy.
Insurance is a product, like any other product you may buy in a department store or supermarket. its all the same insurance. The rest is marketing, simply marketing for more dollars from your pocket.
Posted By: PimTac

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/08/19 06:20 PM

I think the customer service is the key. I’ve heard bad stories of people calling their cheap insurance company only to get someone in a call center on the other side of the planet. A lot of the work falls on to that person as well , paperwork’s etc.

When I call my State Farm agent I talk to the person who knows me and sold me the policy. When our windshield was cracked by a truck thrown Rock our agent set up the replacement and the appointment to the glass shop. It was all done by email. I did nothing.

So yes, you can save money but the service may not be the same.

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/08/19 07:17 PM

In case you aren't aware esurance.com is own by Allstate, Allstate purchased them in 2011. However the rates are better then Allstate for the majority of people, me included, I never in my life carried Allstate insurance, to expensive for me, no one comes close for me personally as esurance. As we know, insurance varies for everyone based on credit score, location, insurance history ect.

.. esurance is a wholly owned subsidiary of Allstate they still are their own business, which is online insurance only.
More or less, like many corporations, they own many brands and different profit models as well as different products.

It's a paperwork hassle to switch companies. I did get a quote from Esurance, they were a little bit cheaper than Geico, but when I read the quote, the reason was that they were offing me a one time discount. Once you take out the discount, they would have been more money. I forget the exact amount, I don't think it was more than $100 or $200 and then they would have been more once the discount disappeared in 6 months and then it was like $300-$400 more. Wasn't worth doing all that switching back and forth just for $100 or $200 and then the danger of not doing it on time and then getting wacked and losing it all.
Posted By: eljefino

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/08/19 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by PimTac
I think the customer service is the key. I’ve heard bad stories of people calling their cheap insurance company only to get someone in a call center on the other side of the planet. A lot of the work falls on to that person as well , paperwork’s etc.

When I call my State Farm agent I talk to the person who knows me and sold me the policy. When our windshield was cracked by a truck thrown Rock our agent set up the replacement and the appointment to the glass shop. It was all done by email. I did nothing.

If OP wants liability only, lousy service is an additional punishment to whoever hits him, or sucks at getting out of the way. LOL

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/08/19 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by PimTac

Ive had State Farm for 30+ years and agree.

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/08/19 10:37 PM

I don't need any service, just insurance :o)
All good though, we all buy things that make us happy and everyone has their thing.

As far as paperwork hassle?
There is no paperwork, sign up, print your cards, call your old ins company and cancel.
I can switch companies as fast as my fingers can enter my credit card information, anytime of the day, any day if the week.

Again not knocking anyones preference for services but clarifying some comments for others who are looking to save money and are not used to shopping for insurance, as what some call a hassle only takes 15 minutes for me.
It's no different then shopping for anything, just fire up that computer and get to work! Lol

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/08/19 11:51 PM

^^That to me would be asking my auto dealer, which is the best oil ^^

Price wins for me, always, also there is no such thing as "non standard" insurance company. Its either an insurance company or not and its the most regulated industry in the United States.
The rest is all marketing, just like oil. I have saved literally what must be over $10,000 on insurance over my lifetime by not being loyal to anyone but my wallet including gasoline I put in my vehicles, price wins ... :o)

I dont understand why people think their insurance company is special in some way anymore then what gas they put in their car or what brand milk they buy.
Insurance is a product, like any other product you may buy in a department store or supermarket. its all the same insurance. The rest is marketing, simply marketing for more dollars from your pocket.

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. May want to not argue a topic you obviously know nothing about. My sister-in-law has been in the insurance business for 30 years. There's a HUGE difference in quality of the product, rates and coverage you pay for through a nonstandard company vs standard insurance.

What is nonstandard insurance

Standard vs nonstandard insurance

standard vs nonstandard insurance #2
Hope you don't ever get hit by a person who is covered through a nonstandard insurance company like I did. I decided to fight them myself instead of paying the $250 deductible to file through my underinsured/uninsured clause. Talk about a nightmare. They did not want to pay but 1/2 of what it actually cost to repair my truck. They flat out refused (at first) to reimburse me for a rental. They also refused to pay for OE parts. They would not return calls. I called them every day for 3 weeks and got the run around.

I even called my state's insurance commissioner's office to report what was going on and was offered nothing but a cold shoulder. They actually used the phrase, "be wary of those nonstandard companies. The majority of our complaints are associated with such companies".

Their contact information was nearly nonexistent even to find on the internet. My research revealed a lot about the company...which is licensed in every state. I finally found a lead...which led to another then another. When I finally found the avenue to the top, I sent a very lengthy email with all of the facts of the claim along with threatening legal recourse for lost wages and broadcasting the story through a local news investigation team to expose them. I was issued a check the following day that covered the rental vehicle and paid off the body shop in full....but never a single apology.

...AND from what I understand, even though the other party had full coverage, they got an even worse run around than I did. It was THEIR OWN CLIENT.
Posted By: kschachn

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/09/19 12:04 AM

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. May want to not argue a topic you obviously know nothing about. My sister-in-law has been in the insurance business for 30 years. There's a HUGE difference in quality of the product, rates and coverage you pay for through a nonstandard company vs standard insurance.

That might explain things in regards to your response. I don't think he was referring to the technical definition of the insurers like you were, but only to the "Internet" ones as compared to the ones with old-style local agents.

I haven't had a local agent in 40 years and have had many claims of one sort or another. I've never had a problem with any of them.

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/09/19 12:26 AM

^^thank you for clarifying ^^

Someone on one of these pages in this thread already took somebody's advice and got quotes on his home and car insurance through Costco Ameri phase and is going to save 33 to 50% on the insurance he has been buying on his cars and home.

I would be almost willing to bet even if he wasn't a Costco member One of any other number of insurance companies would have had a better price than what he was paying with his old Insurance Company. Maybe not as great as the Costco as that I cannot say but most likely would have saved something if he hasn't checked in a long time.

My personal experience has been the longer I stayed with any insurance company my rates would constantly creep up no matter how many discounts they told me I was getting I would always be able to find something less expensive.
Kind of like a sale in a department store where they list the retail price and then the discount but the thing is nobody ever really paid the retail price to begin with.
Absolutely true according to another post in here, some insurance companies will give you a first-year discount and then raise the price. If I experience that I simply log onto my computer and switch companies.
To my surprise e insurance on my vehicles has not raised my price I was expecting to have to switch and have not had to. I still can't find anybody cheaper but that doesn't mean all areas of the country of the same for any given Insurance Company

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/09/19 01:59 AM

LOL...just for giggles, I just looked up my declaration documents and did an apples to apples comparison with my current insurance to a quote I just submitted through l esurance. Esurance was higher by nearly $40/month. I have premium coverage on all my vehicles...including roadside assistance through a well known premier company that I've had for 10+ years. I even still carry full coverage on my 2002 Silverado. My current premium is STILL less than the lowest package esurance offered...with just liability on my Silverado.

Again...proves it is impossible to say what is "cheap" for some will be cheap for others. Way too many variables.

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/09/19 12:47 PM

LOL...just for giggles, I just looked up my declaration documents and did an apples to apples comparison with my current insurance to a quote I just submitted through l esurance. Esurance was higher by nearly $40/month. I have premium coverage on all my vehicles...including roadside assistance through a well known premier company that I've had for 10+ years. I even still carry full coverage on my 2002 Silverado. My current premium is STILL less than the lowest package esurance offered...with just liability on my Silverado.

Again...proves it is impossible to say what is "cheap" for some will be cheap for others. Way too many variables.

^^ Exactly ^^
The ONLY way you know what is cheap is getting quotes, at least three!

Every situation is different for everyone, location, personal and family history, even how much the insurer wants to or not to do business in an area.
Its impossible to know and why .. (you dont mention your insurance company in this post, please share!)
(ok one last time) LOL
I constantly say and repeated throughout this thread, if you are someone who looks for the best price on things that you buy, insurance is no different, its a product that serves a function and you need to get quotes from multiple companies all the time, at least 3 plus your current!

Never would I say esurance is the last stop or must have insurance, much like I would never tell someone which gas for their vehicle they must buy, I would say, low price wins!
Heck, I thought just yesterday I was going to get lucky with another company, but didnt. Again, I switch on a dime, loyal to no one same as I am not loyal to any brand of gasoline. My esurance policy just renewed literally days ago and I was ready to cancel it days later when I thought another company was going to beat them, had my credit card out, but they didnt beat it, rats! *L*

I figure I work shopping around an hour or two a year getting quotes on all my insurance needs for my home and vehicles from at least 3 different companies. Chances are it is more then that.
In return, I get paid hundreds of dollars an hour in pay for it, because that is my savings for the year. With that said, I am really down to the bone years later and can no longer get those savings because my rates are so low, BUT in reality I do still make that money, because I do have to switch at any price increase from any current company.

(BTW) I carry quite robust liability policies across the board, boat, bikes, cars with robust under and noninsured coverage plus home ins.
and, most all these are with a variety of different companies, didnt I say LOL low price wins?
Even with multi vechicle/home/bike/boat discounts they tell you that you are getting, I normally do better without multi vehicle and home coverage and end up not packaging my policies with one company and go with all different companies, MOST times.

Re: Cheapest option for insurance? - 12/09/19 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Astro14

This was once true.

But, USAA was charging me $4,000/year for several cars, and several drivers.

GEICO charges me $1,700/year. Same cars, same drivers.

My last claim with USAA was in 2006. Horrible experience, horrible service. Undervalued my car by 50%, half of KBB, half of Edmunds, half of what I could borrow from USAA Savings Bank to buy that car . Totaled it, instead of fixing it, left me without a car.

"Superior service" is their claim. Calling me "Captain" on the phone is nice, but meanwhile, they're charging me more than double and cheaping out on a claim. That is NOT superior service and is NOT a good value.

Be very careful with USAA. They've lost their way.

I've had just the opposite experience with them. When my wife totaled her van earlier this year, USAA paid us more than the van was worth. And like I mentioned earlier, we have lower premiums with them than we'd get from other companies...I pay $105 a month for full coverage on one of our vehicles, and liability on the other...
© 2020 Bob Is The Oil Guy