California Power Outages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at the bright side, you didn't lose power! If you did not prepare and you lost power it would have been a extreme bummer
frown.gif

Whimsey

I read that after the winds die down the the power company will need to check every inch of their power lines and that will take 5 days.

I am thinking the governor will not let this happen in the future.

Oh to be a Generac salesman.

Originally Posted by loneryder
How are they going to recharge their Teslas????

Read that Tesla posted reminders for folks to stay topped up while they can

Yep … Gens have become affordable - we drop power once in a while due to storms - and just to be able to keep your food from going bad means way more than putting up with some discomfort if you don't have a big Kw unit to keep the HVAC up. If it's super hot … I keep a small window unit in the storage building and can cool the living room where we have the most seating. (normally fans are good enough)

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
LOL Karma!

It's just really surprising in such a well-run State...

$10 billion settlement for the fires?
Who do you thinks going to pay for that?
No outages in Los Angeles?
It's for the homeless.

Blame it on Cali's bright idea of deregulation. Utilities could no longer afford to keep equipment in the condition that they were previously. Thanks to them that is now the way it is in all the U.S. That's why are electric infrastructure is in the condition that it is.

The blackouts are almost all in the wooded areas, not the urban areas.
By me, the Los Gatos and Saratoga hills are without power.
San Jose East hills has some outage.

These are generally high rent areas.
PGE is messing with the wrong people.
The handicapped and elderly will suffer.

Earlier I offered my surgeon (carpal tunnel) to shower at my house.
He laughed, but is clearly not amused at PGE's neglisense.

At work (usually in the suburb or urban), or super charger top off. Tesla is the easy part. Wife has a coworker who had to find ways to refrigerate her son's medication....

I enjoy the theories about Agenda 21 in having the peopleall move to the cities for control of them or forcing the people to get solar etc. Any way either the taxpayers will pay for the cost of the fires or the utilities users will pay for the cost
lol.gif

Originally Posted by PandaBear

At work (usually in the suburb or urban), or super charger top off. Tesla is the easy part. Wife has a coworker who had to find ways to refrigerate her son's medication....

The of possibility power cut offs has been news for quite a while . Why aren't we prepared? Earth quake country!.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Al
Blame it on Cali's bright idea of deregulation. Utilities could no longer afford to keep equipment in the condition that they were previously. Thanks to them that is now the way it is in all the U.S. That's why are electric infrastructure is in the condition that it is.

Deregulation brought Enron, bankrupt PG&E the first time.
Then it comes the San Bruno gas pipeline explosion, bankrupt PG&E the 2nd time (or is it almost bankrupt).
Then it comes the Camp Fire, bankrupt PG&E the 3rd time (or is it almost bankrupt).

Nobody will touch the risk again, so they shut down potential fire source (the power line hitting trees), what do you expect?

Infrastructures have a finite lifespan. If you have 100 years of quality services and you want another 100 years of quality service, you usually have to pay up. Just because it has been paid for in the last 50 years doesn't mean it will be paid for the next 50 years. This has nothing to do with regulation or deregulation.

Prices swing between almost free to 60c/KWh, that's deregulation.

Exactly.
The handicapped, elderly, etc. are the ones that will suffer.
My Tesla will be fine.

I hate PGE, but have no choice. They are basically a monopoly in much of CA.
And yes, this an infrastructure problem.
The infracture has a lifespan and has to be maintained. They ain't doing it.
I hate PGE.

Last edited:
We buy Solar GTG's from California - kick the tires and light the fires ! (sorry, I mean like Capt Ron meant it)

This has nothing to do with regulation or deregulation.

Prices swing between almost free to 60c/KWh, that's deregulation.

Well just have to disagree there. I started working in the electricity utility in 1969. I saw it unfold. Dirtburners were allowed to compete with utilities but did not have any power lines and distribution system to worry about. The results were predictable. Transmission maintenance and reliability went down big time. That is not even arguable. Ask anyone that was in the industry in the 80's (like me)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back