Running/Walking on the road?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello BITOGers,

Quick question:

There is any advantage, practice or any other reason for people to run or walk on the road in a neighborhood?
There is already a perfectly maintained walkway/path.

My problem is mostly people running at night/early morning with absolutely no reflective piece of clothes.
Almost backed into one at night.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the walkway/path concrete? Then it's likely due to the lower impact of running on asphalt.

Is the walkway/path grass, gravel, limestone or dirt? Then it's likely due to the smoother surface of the road.

Wife and I walk on the sidewalk but we see the runners in the street. Most people walk on the sidewalk and run in the street in my neighborhood.

Asphalt is definitely lower impact than concrete, but you are correct that runners should be plastered with reflective gear.

Other issue is hopping onto the curb. Asphalt is easier on the joints but usually on the side of the road, there's a crown for drainage so it's actually not that flat. Might be easier running on the street than hopping on and off the curb every street. I prefer to run in a park where you just have to worry about other people on bicycles, roller blades, strollers, dog walkers and other people taking a stroll. Less dangerous than cars.

When I was a kid asphalt was no lesser impact than concrete. Hit them both many many times... trust me not much difference.

I run on the crown of the road for two blocks because in that area, the sidewalks are slanted and it is damaging to my hips. Once I am past that area, I get back on the road.

Originally Posted by pandus13
Hello BITOGers,

Quick question:

There is any advantage, practice or any other reason for people to run or walk on the road in a neighborhood?

My problem is mostly people running at night/early morning with absolutely no reflective piece of clothes.

Thank you

Potentially, a lawsuit against someone who ran them down could result in a lavish lifestyle, provided they survive. At t he very least, they will be eligible to leach off of society as disabled, provided again they survive. As prevalent as leaches are, this does strike me as a possible prime motivator.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by pandus13
Hello BITOGers,

Quick question:

Thank you

Potentially, a lawsuit against someone who ran them down could result in a lavish lifestyle, provided they survive. At t he very least, they will be eligible to leach off of society as disabled, provided again they survive. As prevalent as leaches are, this does strike me as a possible prime motivator.

They don't actually make that much money from social security disability. And you have limits on auto insurance, probably 100-250k max, maybe just a 10k minimum at worse and then if they just have the 10k minimum, even if you win a lawsuit, they wouldn't have any money so you're just left with social security.

Presumably they're out running for health reasons. Doesn't make much sense to aim to be run over. Probably thinking that drivers will know better not to run them over. Did you think Steven King went riding his bike hoping that he'd be hit by a drunk driver? You just have strange thinking.

In the old days, people walked in the streets so they didn't get hit by chamber pot contents emptied from windows.

Now people walk in the streets to avoid being mugged by someone just behind a corner, door, etc.

Only people who like risking their lives to zombie drivers run, walk or ride a bicycle in the road with vehicles when there's a nice sidewalk to use instead.

Originally Posted by Ws6

You can't be serious.

Sidewalks have driveway cuts, uneven joints, root heaves, bad concrete, toys. Much safer running on the road. As far as not wearing a light or reflective clothing, you can't fix stupid. Since bicycles have been brought up, road bicycles are meant to go fast on smooth road surfaces not "a nice sidewalk" with all of the obstacles noted.

Left a hospital recently and my GPS took me out the back way enroute to Costco. Been a while since going that way … and found a lane each way of the divided road were now bicycle lanes leaving one lane for cars, trucks and more to come … and yes there were sidewalks.

Ironically this was the side where two ER centers were located … and ambulances came in via this road.
Great mix came to mind.

The road is one level and the sidewalks go up and down at intersections. That's the main reason to choose the road if the sidewalk is well maintained.

But they usually aren't and sections may be high or low creating a trip hazard, they don't drain well so are puddles of water, mud or dirt.

Folks are too trusting that drivers will see them if they are in the road and stop in time.

By me, plenty of folks cross busy streets in the middle, often enough requiring that drivers hit the brakes to avoid hitting the person. On narrow streets in traffic folks get out of the car on the drivers side without looking to see if a car is bearing down that might clip them. Folks pull their car partially on the shoulder to repair a roadside flat and have no issues kneeling in traffic in the roadway to fix the flat. And yes, walking or running in the middle of roadway.

All of these actions mean the person doing these things are trusting that the drivers take the necessary actions in time to avoid hitting the pedestrian. However, if a slight mistake is made (assuming no gross negligence on the driver) and the pedestrian is hit, the result to the driver is a damaged car, an insurance claim, perhaps points on a license and maybe nothing else. However the result to the pedestrian can be life changing if not deadly. Yet pedestrians roll the dice early and often.

Because they suck. Joint or crack in the sidewalk? Adjust your steps. It's a lot safer than running on the road with 3000 pound machines driving ten times your speed next to you.

What is this "sidewalk" that you guys speak of? I've seen them in big cities and stuff, but not where I live.

How is avoiding joggers etc any different than avoiding bicyclists, turkeys, deer, moose and bears? Those latter ones rarely wear any blinky lights either--maybe we oughta pass a law that mandates them to at least wear reflective fur.

An avid jogger once told me that only amateurs wear reflective clothing. The tendency for drivers, usually in rusty trucks, is to try to run the jogger off the street or throw things at them once they are spotted.

Weekly bicycle/runner/pedestrian bash. As always a few people do dumb things. The only way to run/walk on the street is against traffic so you can see oncoming cars and do what you must to avoid.

36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back