Concrete question

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am looking to build a new home in Central Florida. I see that some builders use 2500 psi concrete and others use 3000 psi for the slab, garage and sidewalks. Is there much of a difference in as far as finish, cracks and cost?

For my drive, i used 3500psi with fiber. Does not seem to finish quite as smooth, but i was broom finishing it anyway.

The quality of the base, prep, materials, installation and finish work matters more than the psi for this application IMO.

I just bought a new house that was built in 2016. The driveway is all cracked to heck and back. Its terrible. I have to replace it. knowing the folks that built the house, they went cheap on everything as they were low on funds, so they probably went with the cheap concrete as well, and poured it thin. Id opt for the better concrete when it comes time to replace it.

Originally Posted by 007
I am looking to build a new home in Central Florida. I see that some builders use 2500 psi concrete and others use 3000 psi for the slab, garage and sidewalks. Is there much of a difference in as far as finish, cracks and cost?

If your building a home from the slab up
I'd get the highest PSI concrete I could afford
5000 🤔🤔🤔

When I was sending out bidding contracts for our main concrete plant floor slab that was subjected to bucket wheel loaders up to a CAT 966 we went for 4000 psi concrete. We saw a couple hundred heavy trucks a day on that floor delivering 400 tons in materials each day. Another point to consider is whether you are using quick set or longer setting concretes. Some can be ready for traffic in 24 hrs and others will take days. Full compressive strength typically not reached for 30 days or more. For a foundation I would think quick setting is needed to fit the construction schedule. Improper mixing, surface prepping of the concrete can lead to spalling, cracking, and other issues down the road.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bubbatime
I just bought a new house that was built in 2016. The driveway is all cracked to heck and back. Its terrible. I have to replace it. knowing the folks that built the house, they went cheap on everything as they were low on funds, so they probably went with the cheap concrete as well, and poured it thin. Id opt for the better concrete when it comes time to replace it.

Similar experience here. Bought it new in 2018

Originally Posted by JTK
The quality of the base, prep, materials, installation and finish work matters more than the psi for this application IMO.

+1 this

Base, prep, and finish will make more of a difference than 500 psi in the concrete. Make sure the contractor does quality work!

The contractor who did my driveway had a stellar reputation, and they and the earthmoving sub they used were great. They made sure to compact the base amazingly well - and everyone involved commented that without it the rest of the work would be junk. 10 years later, not a single crack in the driveway, even on the fill sections.

Here, 3500 psi or 4000 psi concrete is typical for driveways. This will vary across the country dependent on source materials and climate, so the lower numbers would be odd here, but perhaps they are normal there...

In my case I am dealing with a new home builder in a brand new neighborhood. On the spec sheet it says they use 2500 psi concrete. All the homes there now are to new to see any issues. Just remember being told back in the day to use at least 3000 psi. Builder says he can but has not given me the extra cost yet.

Originally Posted by bcossa2001
Commercial contractor here. Use 3000. I'm guessing the cost difference to be on the order of $2 to $5 per yard.

I just poured concrete piers for a new barn. I had the same question and used 3000, the extra cost was a whole $3 a yard. If the contractor quotes more than $5 per yard I'd call around to get your own quotes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back