Enjoying the drive...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Several of my friends I went to law school with meet up once or twice a year at a local restaurant. Tonight our meet-up was at a restaurant a bit northeast of Louisville. I took my 2er and while I was on the interstate I came up on a new Type R in Polished Metal Metallic. It looked really nice and we cruised together for several miles at 85+ mph. I let the Civic take the lead for a while, but it was all too much for the owner of a newer F-150, who just HAD to catch up and cut in between us to prove his superiority to "them little furrin cars." Idiot.
A few miles later an S4 Avant went past me like I was nailed to the floor, but wonder of wonders, when I exited the interstate we ended up side by side in the dual right turn lanes. I was in the right lane and when the light turned green it was game on. Even with considerable wheelspin I pulled comfortably ahead until we had to back off for slower traffic. Too much fun.
Oh yeah- the dinner was enjoyable as well.

Originally Posted by MCompact
Several of my friends I went to law school with meet up once or twice a year at a local restaurant. Tonight our meet-up was at a restaurant a bit northeast of Louisville. I took my 2er and while I was on the interstate I came up on a new Type R in Polished Metal Metallic. It looked really nice and we cruised together for several miles at 85+ mph. I let the Civic take the lead for a while, but it was all too much for the owner of a newer F-150, who just HAD to catch up and cut in between us to prove his superiority to "them little furrin cars." Idiot.
A few miles later an S4 Avant went past me like I was nailed to the floor, but wonder of wonders, when I exited the interstate we ended up side by side in the dual right turn lanes. I was in the right lane and when the light turned green it was game on. Even with considerable wheelspin I pulled comfortably ahead until we had to back off for slower traffic. Too much fun.

Haha, awesome story. You really do have to watch for them egoboosters, they can come out of nowhere. And they are all convinced they are fast, or at least faster than you!

I would have expected the S4 to give you a better time than that, perhaps he was intimidated by your considerable wheelspin?

Originally Posted by Chris142
What's a 2er?

2 Series BMW.

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8

Haha, awesome story. You really do have to watch for them egoboosters, they can come out of nowhere. And they are all convinced they are fast, or at least faster than you!

I would have expected the S4 to give you a better time than that, perhaps he was intimidated by your considerable wheelspin?

Around here it's the 3/4-Ton and 1-Ton diesel pickups. Every one of those guys thinks his diesel pickup is as fast as a 5.0 Mustang.

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8

I did too. I didn't blow his doors off, but I did steadily pull ahead.

Originally Posted by john_pifer

Around here it's the 3/4-Ton and 1-Ton diesel pickups. Every one of those guys thinks his diesel pickup is as fast as a 5.0 Mustang.

Rolling coal all the while, I'll bet...

Had a diesel once try to roll coal on my when I doing ~70mph on the highway in the evo. Luckily I anticipated their actions and just floored it the moment I heard them floor it next to me and gone I was. Sometimes I wish I had old spark plugs to throw out the window at people like that.

Sounds like there was more than one idiot in that pack.....

They don't call I-71 the Kentucky Autobahn for nothing! Every time I go down there, I have a hard time keeping up, I'm not a big fan of a continuous 85-90 MPH cruise, too much built-in fear of the Ohio State Highway Patrol! Although on super-rare occasions I've seen KSP down there. That's why I always let the "little ferrin cars" take the lead...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
They don't call I-71 the Kentucky Autobahn for nothing! Every time I go down there, I have a hard time keeping up, I'm not a big fan of a continuous 85-90 MPH cruise, too much built-in fear of the Ohio State Highway Patrol! Although on super-rare occasions I've seen KSP down there. That's why I always let the "little ferrin cars" take the lead...

meanwhile i was the fella on the "Canadian Autobahn" last summer, hugging the right edge of the pavement with the cruise set to the speed limit (100kph/62mph) in my fullsized mercury. EVERYONE flying around me (even my fellow ohioans!) but i didn't want to be singled out and made an example. "If ANYONE is going to be pulled over up here, it'll be the guy with foreign plates"

...of course i also use the same logic when i'm just out of state...

The Civic Type R is a pretty amazing chunk of engineering.

Originally Posted by Pew

Had a diesel once try to roll coal on my when I doing ~70mph on the highway in the evo. Luckily I anticipated their actions and just floored it the moment I heard them floor it next to me and gone I was. Sometimes I wish I had old spark plugs to throw out the window at people like that.

I saw a guy in a BMW 335d get into a stoplight grand prix with a guy in a hemi Challenger in my hometown today. The BMW was tuned and put out some smoke off the line, but he was even with the Challenger as much as I saw of it.

And I got into a series of Go's with an Audi Q7 on the West Virginia Turnpike a couple of years ago. I was in my Dodge 2500. We were running up and down hill, and around the sweeping bends, having a good old time, basically between 70 and 90 mph. I wonder how he would have felt if he knew I never downshifted out of double overdrive and never revved the engine over 2200 rpm.

The thing is, I appreciate other performance cars- domestic, Imported, AWD, FWD, RWD; when I came up on the Type R he was stuck behind a slower car in the right lane. The Type R driver used his signal and I gave a quick flash of the headlights to tell him he was good to come over. He gave a quick blink of his 4-way flashers as a thanks. I would have treated any other driver the same way. A little common sense and courtesy is appreciated.

The thing is, I appreciate other performance cars...
+1
Yeah was cruising home during an eerily light traffic twilight when an impeccably detailed black SRT Widebody came thundering up alongside.
Gave him an approving nod whereupon we loafed along at ~75 for some 10 miles.

He let me change lanes ahead when mine slowed up and I extended the same courtesy to him when it was his turn to switch on over.
Was eyeballing its presence, stance, glossy finish and respected how its 707 horsepower was being responsibly tempered.

I was thinking to myself that this gent is a fortunate enthusiast to be driving such a powerful and sexy machine.
Perhaps he was thinking the same thing about my 180 mph P-Car.

As the exit approached, I flashed him a thumbs up as he did the same in return.
Some brief and pleasant moments between cars guys appreciating each other's tastes in their respective toys.

Originally Posted by splinter
The thing is, I appreciate other performance cars...
+1
Yeah was cruising home during an eerily light traffic twilight when an impeccably detailed black SRT Widebody came thundering up alongside.
Gave him an approving nod whereupon we loafed along at ~75 for some 10 miles.

He let me change lanes ahead when mine slowed up and I extended the same courtesy to him when it was his turn to switch on over.
Was eyeballing its presence, stance, glossy finish and respected how its 707 horsepower was being responsibly tempered.

I was thinking to myself that this gent is a fortunate enthusiast to be driving such a powerful and sexy machine.
Perhaps he was thinking the same thing about my 180 mph P-Car.

As the exit approached, I flashed him a thumbs up as he did the same in return.
Some brief and pleasant moments between cars guys appreciating each other's tastes in their respective toys.

Most people wont really roll with 500+ horsepower. You're doing 150-190 before you know it. Too much risk both criminally and civilly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back