Which Household LED Bulb Brand Best Replicates Soft White Incandescent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I replaced three 100w 1400 lumen soft white incandescent bulbs in a ceiling fixture with three Feit brand 1500 lumen "soft white" LED bulbs that the box said they were 2700K. Upon flipping it on it was way brighter than the old incandescent's. This is the 2nd set of household LED bulbs I've tried. First time around tried some 100w equivalent Zilotech LED's same 2700K claim on box, also around 1400 or 1500 lumens, and they were too bright as well. Not only in apparently higher lumens but the color temp on both looked a bit higher than 2700 kelvin.

I am curious if anyone here has found a brand of LED household bulbs that can really replicate the ambiance of good old incandescent bulbs. I really like the idea of LED's much reduced wattage draw, these most recent Feit's were 15w. I have several lamps and fixtures that are illuminated often and for the entire evening so the wattage savings of LED's is attractive, they just look too harsh so far.

i am very picky about the quality of the light, the right bulbs can really make or break how a room or area of the house looks in the evening.

P.S. My fixtures are on non-dimmer switches, hence the LED bulbs referenced above are the non-dimable type.

Why not reduce the wattage of the LEDs if they're too bright. They'd be cheaper too...
21.gif

the led bulbs look brighter because they are directional.
if you want a traditional style pattern look for led filament bulbs.
and highest cri you can find.
incandescent=100 cri.

I always try to find Cree. They are probably the biggest mfr of the actual diode and a Cree is a selling point with high end flashlights.

I had a similar experience with trying to find a "warm" enough LED bulb that provides the same ambiance of a classic incandescent filament bulb. After trying several brands and temperature bulbs, I am most satisfied with the Great Eagle LED bulb in the 3000K temperature to replicate the traditional soft white light experience. The 2700K bulb was too yellow in my opinion to reproduce the soft white palette.

Great Eagle LED

Sounds like you are confusing brightness (lumens) with appearance (temperature). I find 2700K too yellow and 4000-6000K too blue -- similar to traditional "cool white" incandescent tube bulbs. 3000K temperature is about right -- mostly white with a hint of yellow. Instead of getting the 1400 lumen bulbs that you find too bright try something in the range of 1000 lumens. The FEIT LED bulbs sold at Costco have a nice appearance.

Wife and I settled on 2 soft white and 2 bright Led bulbs in our 4 lamp bathroom fixture above the mirror. Skin looks like it did with CFL only these don't come on weak.

I love mine from Costco, brand is Feit Electric or something like that. So much better than previous gen LED bulbs (yes, I had some). Lighting is very pleasant.

Last edited:
I've been happy with basically every brand I've bought that's labeled 2700k. GE, Feit, Sylvania, Cree, etc. The entire house is LED now ðŸ‘ðŸ»

The lower the "K" range number, the more yellow the color of the light output is going to be. I'm not sure there's LED lamps with less than a 2700K number, but they might be out there. Like you found. One LED lamp's 2700K can look different than another.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
I replaced three 100w 1400 lumen soft white incandescent bulbs in a ceiling fixture with three Feit brand 1500 lumen "soft white" LED bulbs that the box said they were 2700K. Upon flipping it on it was way brighter than the old incandescent's. This is the 2nd set of household LED bulbs I've tried. First time around tried some 100w equivalent Zilotech LED's same 2700K claim on box, also around 1400 or 1500 lumens, and they were too bright as well. Not only in apparently higher lumens but the color temp on both looked a bit higher than 2700 kelvin.

I am curious if anyone here has found a brand of LED household bulbs that can really replicate the ambiance of good old incandescent bulbs. I really like the idea of LED's much reduced wattage draw, these most recent Feit's were 15w. I have several lamps and fixtures that are illuminated often and for the entire evening so the wattage savings of LED's is attractive, they just look too harsh so far.

i am very picky about the quality of the light, the right bulbs can really make or break how a room or area of the house looks in the evening.

P.S. My fixtures are on non-dimmer switches, hence the LED bulbs referenced above are the non-dimable type.

I had a similar experience with the Feit clear filament LED bulbs and I just stepped down to the next lower "wattage" bulb. Color temp seems fine and so far, lifetime has been fine as well.

I have also used Cree LED bulbs (of several different generations) in the soft white type with no issues. Bulb brightness and color temp look to be about right for the old style bulbs I was replacing. Bulb lifetime also seems fine so far for me as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SandCastle
Sounds like you are confusing brightness (lumens) with appearance (temperature). I find 2700K too yellow and 4000-6000K too blue -- similar to traditional "cool white" incandescent tube bulbs. 3000K temperature is about right -- mostly white with a hint of yellow. Instead of getting the 1400 lumen bulbs that you find too bright try something in the range of 1000 lumens. The FEIT LED bulbs sold at Costco have a nice appearance.

Glad I'm not the only one that feels that way. I've always found 2700 in non-incandescent to be too artificially yellow looking. 3000-3500k is the most pleasant to my eye, but they are hard to find, especially if you want to buy from brick and mortar stores down the street.

I cannot stand bright daylight LED lightbulbs. They hurt my head and give me severe headaches, and with Epilepsy that's no bueno.

I switched most of the house over to traditional "Edison bulbs" and never looked back. They are the filament ones, and are fairly energy efficient. The only lights in the house that aren't this are the ones in the kitchen, they have the smaller chandelier style screw base, those got LED "Edison Style" sylvania bulbs.

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/1...c557X5AIVkI3ICh3VqwfUEAQYDCABEgILdPD_BwE

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
I cannot stand bright daylight LED lightbulbs. They hurt my head and give me severe headaches, and with Epilepsy that's no bueno.

I switched most of the house over to traditional "Edison bulbs" and never looked back. They are the filament ones, and are fairly energy efficient. The only lights in the house that aren't this are the ones in the kitchen, they have the smaller chandelier style screw base, those got LED "Edison Style" sylvania bulbs.

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/1...c557X5AIVkI3ICh3VqwfUEAQYDCABEgILdPD_BwE

I wouldn't call 350 lumens at 60 watts efficient, but they are by far the coolest looking bulbs I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back