Window flashing tape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replacing windows, i have used 3M 8067 all weather flashing tape to cover the sill instead of black plastic, and i used it to cover the nail fins on the top and sides after the window is installed.

My question is, is it the right product to use on the sill, the product info says yes, it has a wide temp range. But how does it compare to the rubberized asphalt tapes ? I'm fine with the 3m tape on the nail fins, but is the the best for covering the sill under the window??

Thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Flashing-...Y5FO/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Last edited:
I just bought a roll of Vycor Plus. Replacing two windows. I haven't opened the roll but from the outside edges it looks like a asphalt rubbery product with a polyurethane coating. I would think this would be fine for sills and that's what it says it for too.

Is it the best? No, that's what the rubberized stuff is for. Will it work? It will probably last as long as the windows as long as everything else is installed correctly. You should be looking at building codes instead of what 3M's marketing department thinks their product can be used for.

Depends how cheap you are v your desire to get the job done right. You can just remove the window if it leaks and apply the rubberized stuff without damaging the window while removing it...right? Maybe on a ground floor window but I wouldn't be cutting corners on a window that you need a ladder to install, that's just stepping over dollars for dimes.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Is it the best? No, that's what the rubberized stuff is for. Will it work? It will probably last as long as the windows as long as everything else is installed correctly. You should be looking at building codes instead of what 3M's marketing department thinks their product can be used for.

Depends how cheap you are v your desire to get the job done right. You can just remove the window if it leaks and apply the rubberized stuff without damaging the window while removing it...right? Maybe on a ground floor window but I wouldn't be cutting corners on a window that you need a ladder to install, that's just stepping over dollars for dimes.

The 3m costs more than the rubberized. II was just hoping for some wisdom from those who have used the rubberized sill tape. It sounds like you prefer the rubberized ashphalt tape correct? Local code is probably not that informative as black plastic wrap stapled is code, but not that great.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
You should be looking at building codes instead of what 3M's marketing department thinks their product can be used for.

Codes are usually pretty vague....

Besides, 3M data sheets are gospel.
We "glue" fighter jets together with their adhesives (it's a little more involved than that, BTW)

I have never had a product of theirs fail when used within specified guidelines. Their products are always worth the extra cost.

It's acrylic which is a much better adhesive than butyl tape. You'll be fine. Just make sure you've installed the windows as directed by the window manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back