Need help. How to agree on spending decisions with wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any method of agreeing on how to spend money with your spouse that works for you?

Like you have the money to buy something one of you wants and you don't need the money for something else, but the other one does not want to spend the money. Not that they have something they want, they just don't want to spend money.

How do you do it that works for you?

Thanks a ton!

Many keep separate accounts so each can have their own spending money. Never happened with us.

Ahhh.If shes successful its her doing and if she fails its all on you lol. What belongs to her is still hers but everything you have belongs to her too. See why the two Dobermans are the love of my life? Lol

These Bunker Hill decisions come up all the time in marriage. In this particular case I would chose to find another hill to die on especially if it doesn't involve going into debt.

Loose, disposable income never requires permission or consultation in my relationship.

It certainly helps that I have absolutely no credibility to advise on frivolous purchases since I make so many myself.

Long as the core finances are in order, I could care less. I would step in if I suspected she were giving money to some sort of fraud, scam, extremist cult, etc. But if she wants it, she can have it.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Separate accounts.

+1 Separate accounts. She can do whatever she wants with her own money. We even file separate tax returns. I don't even want to know her finances.

Originally Posted by callbay
Any method of agreeing on how to spend money with your spouse that works for you?

Compromise. eg. A few years a go my wife wanted to spend $100k+ on a new kitchen addition to our house. I did not, us having *just* paid off our mortgage. We compromised and spent $100k+ on the kitchen.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by uc50ic4more

Compromise. eg. A few years a go my wife wanted to spend $100k+ on a new kitchen addition to our house. I did not, us having *just* paid off our mortgage. We compromised and spent $100k+ on the kitchen.
smile.gif

Quite the plot twist! lol

Wife #1 was bi-polar and almost bankrupted me. She died.
Wife #2 was married to a bi-polar who did bankrupt her. We kept separate accounts which worked well. We were also compatible financially. She died.
(note-both spouses died of natural causes-- didn't do anything violent to anyone).
Girlfriend lives six miles away. I can go home every night and be with the dog. We are both frugal but enjoy the same things-- travel, mostly.
She has a friend who strikes me as a sugar daddy seeking spendthrift. Woman has been in a half dozen relationships in the last five years. They all run away screaming and she can't figure out why.

We determined we were compatible before we got married. I'll just wish you well in figuring out what will work for you.

Simple, split your bills up equally. Also each set some aside for retirement. Tell her what is left you and I can choose how we spend it ourselves.

If you both are debt free, then agree to buy something.
If you still have mortgage, student loan, credit card, etc., try to put the money into paying those debt first.

It is a no brainer unless one of you are really don't care about anything. LOL!!!

Originally Posted by uc50ic4more

smile.gif

Frying pan may have accidentally hit your head if you stood your ground and said NO. ...‚

We pool our money. We both have similar opinions on things to buy, or not buy depending on the cost benefit. Both of us have good jobs and we are lucky enough to make sufficient money to satisfy our wants and needs while saving for retirement.

So in conclusion, we each buy what we want or need, no need for any rock-em-sock-em battle royales before any purchases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back