Products made that seem invincible

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I was being lectured today on the way to the doctor I got to thinking about the things that just run without a hitch. Looking outside was a man smoking and he used a Zippo. Thinking back on it I remembered my grandpa had one he bought while in the Navy. Worked always and was very well constructed. I have my dads Zippo and for the life of me I dont think anything has changed on it. Timeless classics things like this are. If anyone has anything else they own or remembered that feels like this please share your story. I dont have any social media and my only electronic interaction I get is the news/stories from Bitog members or AM radio when Rush Limbaugh comes on

I still have the Ronson lighter I got 45 years ago. I have a car clock from a 30's Horch that I just had cleaned and oiled, 24 jewels, manual wind and runs perfectly.
The Horch (Auto Union, now Audi) was one of the best German cars ever built and everything in it was the best of the time.

Edit: For those interested in the Horch..

https://myautoworld.com/audi/cars/history/company/horch/horch-cars/horch-cars.html

Last edited:
I still have a GE digital clock radio that keeps perfect time. Because of my smart phone, I haven't used the alarm function on the clock radio in a few years, but that was working fine also. I got that 34 years ago. I don't think I own anything older than that...

Last edited:
I have a Yeti cup that has been dragged all over the earth and still works great.

Honda Generators

Red Wing boots

Ariens snowblowers

Casio G-Shock watches...till the battery dies, then you're screwed

Santa Cruz mountain bikes (trust me)

Snap On tools (prices are ridiculous though)

^^^Without giving it much thought

My dad (84) still uses his 1962 Ariens Snowblower every winter. His does driveway and a couple of the neighbors. That Techumseh engine starts on the first pull and my dad still is using ARCO's Graphite Oil, in the engine, that he bought back in the 80's.

While the zippo may be a thing of the past, it's still a valid tool (especially as a backup) in some circumstances (boating, camping, survival kits) . This is due to the windproof nature of the design.

Originally Posted by josephp732
My dad (84) still uses his 1962 Ariens Snowblower every winter. His does driveway and a couple of the neighbors. That Techumseh engine starts on the first pull and my dad still is using ARCO's Graphite Oil, in the engine, that he bought back in the 80's.

Just bought one this winter, paid $1,900 for it...it's nice but it's not the same as the older ones, those things were tanks.

how manys watts does that old tank draw.

i remember back in the 70s my uncle had an old fridge I'm guessing from the 40s i think it used ammonia as a refrigerant

[Linked Image]

I bought a clock like this on eBay a few years ago. Braun used to make alarm clocks in Germany out of fairly cheap plastic since they were meant for travel (before everyone carried a smart phone).

It uses a single AA battery and the dang thing keeps PERFECT time. I can set it and it never drifts off by even a few seconds. I'm amazed at how well it runs considering how weak the actual mechanism feels.

Originally Posted by Marco620
The 1911 !!!

Dan Wesson 1911's ,,, support you employer.

Texas Instruments calculator (finally changed the original battery after 40 years)

Felco pruners

Craftsman tools (the old ones at least)

Le Creuset cooking pots

GSW Cast Iron frying pans (ours was found on the road to the landfill 40 years ago - seemed as though it jumped off a load of junk)

Grandfather clock - made in late 1700s

My 1967 Bulova Accutron tuning fork watch. I still occasionally hold it to my ear just to hear it hum.

Small block chevy in its various forms...
Rolex submariner = honey badger of watches.
Wusthoff/ Henckels knives
Victorinox knives.
Yamaha gensets
Caterpillar diesel engines
Miele appliances

UD

Last edited:
A couple Swiss made stainless steel pots (forgot the brand)
A Caiso quartz clock that takes C size battery (40 years and still going)
Some $1 Chinese plates and bowls from China Town
Chinese dish gloves from one particular brand (only the ones made in this one factory in Guangzhou, the one from Shanghai seems to be POS, along with those sold at Walmart and Target)
95 Corolla 1.6L 3 speed automatic, still going at 260k with original engine and transmission
Panasonic / National / Sanyo dumb rice cookers (they usually last 25+ years)
My Seagate 7200.7 HDD, made in 2003 and still going strong

and my father in law's health...... he had an uncle that lives to 106, he will likely lives to 95+ too.

My friggin Craftsman lawnmower. No idea how old it is, got it free from the previous owner of the house... looked like it never had its oil changed till I got it, and it was low. I never drain the fuel out of it, run exclusively on e10 gas. Ran 5w20 in it for a year, came out looking like glitter. Still starts on the first half attempt at a pull every time. And the past 2 years in a row I've hit a tree root and bent half the blade down at a nice 90° angle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back