Anyone been to Barrow AK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Donald
Flyover state. I avoid.

I've never heard anyone refer to Alaska as a flyover State. You must make a lot of trips to Asia?

I got a college room mate who works at Prudhoe Bay, not too far from there. Works as an electrician for the oil companies.
He lives in Prudhoe Bay for two weeks, then flies back to Anchorage for two weeks. He then flies back to Prudhoe Bay for three weeks to work and is then off for three weeks back at Anchorage.

Been there and done that -- twice.
Once accomplishing ground-to-air radio upgrades for the FAA.
The second time while training on NORAD's long-range AN/FPS-117 RADAR at their facility just east of "Barrow" for a few weeks. I didn't take that job!
Saw a shot polar bear along the road in Barrow; it bled out for two days at -25 deg F. Those bears are insulated!
It's a bleak and very expensive place to live. You wouldn't want to be there for very long.

I also worked in Prudhoe Bay and have 25,000 miles driving the Haul Road for the Trans-Alaska Pipeline System (TAPS) from the Yukon River or Pump Station 6 (PS06) to Pump Station 1 (PS01) in Prudhoe Bay.
I maintained the fiber-optic network along the northern 1/4 to 1/3 of the Pipeline. Oh... the stories I can tell.
If you've watched Ice Road Truckers while they were in Alaska -- that exact same stretch of road.
And this from someone who's live in the Anchorage area for 25 years.

BTW, all vehicles up there are diesel. I drove a 1997 diesel F-350 with a 7.3 IDI, a 1997 Chevy 2500 extended cab pickup with their diesel, and a 3/4-ton, diesel Ford Excursion, probably a 2003 or 2004.
The Excursions have a short front-end suspension travel range...

They were meticulously maintained with synthetic products about every 4 weeks, Filters were either Baldwin or Donaldson. Tires were specially siped E-load rated Bridgestone ATs, or E-load rated Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor Pro-Grade tires. Both were good in that environment. These trucks are specially setup for cold wx, to include specially added tin or steel rock guards to protect the undercarriage and brake lines.

At -30 degs F, all diesels are plugged into bull-rails with 120 VAC outlets and left running, sometimes for weeks on end, until it warmed up to at least -25 degs F. Trucks are filled up by their owners every 12 hours...
Again the stories!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
Flyover state. I avoid.

I've never heard anyone refer to Alaska as a flyover State. You must make a lot of trips to Asia?
. Or Siberia!

Not me but my aunt has - at age 90 - a unaccompanied senior. Said she wan't to see the northern most part of the USA.

Flyover state. I avoid.

I got it wrong. Thought you were were referring to Arkansas.

Originally Posted by SteveG4
The second time while training on NORAD's long-range AN/FPS-117 RADAR at their facility just east of "Barrow" for a few weeks. I didn't take that job!
Saw a shot polar bear along the road in Barrow; it bled out for two days at -25 deg F. Those bears are insulated!
It's a bleak and very expensive place to live. You wouldn't want to be there for very long.

I also worked in Prudhoe Bay and have 25,000 miles driving the Haul Road for the Trans-Alaska Pipeline System (TAPS) from the Yukon River or Pump Station 6 (PS06) to Pump Station 1 (PS01) in Prudhoe Bay.
I maintained the fiber-optic network along the northern 1/4 to 1/3 of the Pipeline. Oh... the stories I can tell.
If you've watched Ice Road Truckers while they were in Alaska -- that exact same stretch of road.

BTW, all vehicles up there are diesel. I drove a 1997 diesel F-350 with a 7.3 IDI, a 1997 Chevy 2500 extended cab pickup with their diesel, and a 3/4-ton, diesel Ford Excursion, probably a 2003 or 2004.

They were meticulously maintained with synthetic products about every 4 weeks, Filters were either Baldwin or Donaldson. Tires were specially siped E-load rated Bridgestone ATs, or E-load rated Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor Pro-Grade tires. Both were good in that environment. These trucks are specially setup for cold wx, to include specially added tin or steel rock guards to protect the undercarriage and brake lines.

At -30 degs F, all diesels are plugged into bull-rails with 120 VAC outlets and left running, sometimes for weeks on end, until it warmed up to at least -25 degs F. Trucks are filled up by their owners every 12 hours...
Again the stories!!!

I'm sure you got tons of interesting stories from working up there.

Basically isolated from a normal life...

Again the stories!!!

If you would care to share, I'm sure at least some of us would like to hear the stories. I've been to Alaska, but one of these days I want to ride a Motorcycle up there from the western US, and up the Dalton to Prudhoe Bay.

Flyover state. I avoid.

I got it wrong. Thought you were were referring to Arkansas.

No wonder most people in the USA justifibly hate the cesspool known as NY.

Again the stories!!!

So did you ever meet the "haul road ace" Jack Jesse or Lisa kelly? Think she is from Wasilla AK. I have been to Unalakleet and Tanana with grandpa before he passed. Great state, as I thoroughly enjoyed the state and culture

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back