Home

The mechanic who didn't fix the problem.

Posted By: motor_oil_madman

The mechanic who didn't fix the problem. - 03/05/19 11:30 PM

Like on my boat for instance I had an issue with it only firing on 2 of 4 cylinders. Well I took it to a guy who charged me $400 and it worked good for one boat trip, then a month or so later I took the boat out again and it went back to doing the same thing. Imo if I were a mechanic and I couldn't fix it I'd at least give a portion of the money back that I charged. The part that irritated me was that he didn't seem interested in taking another look at it after that. Good way to retain customers, just tell them f off after they take your money.
Posted By: Trav

Re: The mechanic who didn't fix the problem. - 03/05/19 11:39 PM

This is just a ripoff artist. If you are taking someones money for work you stand behind it.
Posted By: Langanobob

Re: The mechanic who didn't fix the problem. - 03/05/19 11:59 PM

What did he do to it that fixed it long enough to run for one trip?
Posted By: Imp4

Re: The mechanic who didn't fix the problem. - 03/06/19 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
Like on my boat for instance I had an issue with it only firing on 2 of 4 cylinders. Well I took it to a guy who charged me $400 and it worked good for one boat trip, then a month or so later I took the boat out again and it went back to doing the same thing. Imo if I were a mechanic and I couldn't fix it I'd at least give a portion of the money back that I charged. The part that irritated me was that he didn't seem interested in taking another look at it after that. Good way to retain customers, just tell them f off after they take your money.

πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”
This sounds strangely like 1/2 of the story.
I wonder what the mechanic's version of events sounds like...
Posted By: Gasbuggy

Re: The mechanic who didn't fix the problem. - 03/06/19 12:24 AM

When I was in college I did brakes on my friends parent's explorer. Saved them money and got some quick cash. The transmission failed a couple months later, they suspected it was because I worked on the brakes. LOL.

Did you get your boat fixed again? Different issues can cause the same problems.
Posted By: HangFire

Re: The mechanic who didn't fix the problem. - 03/06/19 12:26 AM

A good mechanic should at least offer to look at it without charge. However if you started the conversation with wanting money back, he probably decided you weren't worth having as a customer, right then and there.

Re: The mechanic who didn't fix the problem. - 03/06/19 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by HangFire
A good mechanic should at least offer to look at it without charge. However if you started the conversation with wanting money back, he probably decided you weren't worth having as a customer, right then and there.

No he just wanted to work on one of his personal projects instead. I supposed I could get him to look at it again, but it's like what kind of customer service is that?
Posted By: HangFire

Re: The mechanic who didn't fix the problem. - 03/06/19 12:33 AM

No he just wanted to work on one of his personal projects instead. I supposed I could get him to look at it again, but it's like what kind of customer service is that?

Hmm. My mechanic has not-the-greatest customer service skills. He chased me out of his shop last month so he could get some work done. Love him to death, wouldn't go anywhere else.

Re: The mechanic who didn't fix the problem. - 03/06/19 12:36 AM

I think when you use a small operation to do work it's hard to find a combination of both. Customer service and good work quality. It's either one or the other, you don't get both.
Posted By: 02SE

Re: The mechanic who didn't fix the problem. - 03/06/19 12:44 AM

Hey clearly didn't fix it the first time, so I'd say he's already demonstrated his competence, or lack thereof.

Any competent, and ethical mechanic would stand behind their work.

He may be doing you a favor at this point. Since now you might find a competent Mechanic to actually fix it.
Posted By: benjy

Re: The mechanic who didn't fix the problem. - 03/06/19 01:01 AM

small town small operations DON'T last if work is not good, word gets out + hes out of business. big dealers with large customer bases can hose a few but even so they MIGHT feel the effects of lost repeat customers or not!!
Posted By: joekingcorvette

Re: The mechanic who didn't fix the problem. - 03/06/19 01:23 AM

motor oil madman..... you are 100% correct. I have a few horror stories myself regarding boat mechanics. They seem to love to rip people off
and it's difficult to find a good one. I had a place put a starter on a boat one time and instead of putting on a brand new one they swore the one they
had on the shelf was good. Some guy had brought it in or something and had an "extra one." To make a long story short it cost me close to $1000.00 and the
original starter on my boat worked but it would click a few times before starting when cold. They finally put my old on on, I used it until the new one came in. I also had a steering column lock up on a 1997 Corvette and had it towed in two days in a row to the local dealership. It cost me $350 dollars the first day and $350 the second day for something the factory should have fixed for free. The C-5 Corvettes were infamous for steering column lock-up which would leave you stranded and flat bedded in for repairs. Another fine GM screwup which was not covered under recall but should have been since it happens on 1997 to 2004 models.
Posted By: AZjeff

Re: The mechanic who didn't fix the problem. - 03/06/19 01:52 AM

M-O-M, sure hope you have some good in your life cause you seem to have to deal with a bunch of crap.
Posted By: chainblu

Re: The mechanic who didn't fix the problem. - 03/06/19 02:52 AM

I took it to a guy who charged me $400 and it worked good for one boat trip...

Just to be the devil's advocate, it sounds like he did fix it, but it didn't stay fixed. I mean, as far as he knew, it WAS fixed. But, I'd be looking at that $400 service bill to see what he did (or didn't) do.
Posted By: rubberchicken

Re: The mechanic who didn't fix the problem. - 03/06/19 03:20 AM

Marine mechanics : the horror stories I hear. Owning a boat requires one to be a good shade tree mechanic, or have a fat wallet. Not much exists in between.
Posted By: daves87rs

Re: The mechanic who didn't fix the problem. - 03/06/19 05:21 AM

Boats always seem like they need repairs....
Posted By: dishdude

Re: The mechanic who didn't fix the problem. - 03/06/19 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by daves87rs

πŸ’ΈπŸ’ΈπŸ’Έ
Posted By: DoubleWasp

Re: The mechanic who didn't fix the problem. - 03/06/19 05:29 AM

Don't blame the mechanic yet.

Boats have some of the most at-risk electrical systems known to man.

I have had several boats come back to us after we fixed something, and in every single case, it was something else that had pooped the bed. In those cases, we always invite the owner to stay and watch and show the problem before fixing it (rarely takes more than 15 minutes to find).

From the problem you describe, I'm going to guess you have one of those outboard motors that has two could firing 2 cylinders each? Perhaps dual pickups too?

Boats tend to suffer degenerative conditions. Whatever died, the part before or after in the line is just waiting to die almost immediately after. Especially if electrical.

Offering this theory and giving an estimate to address problems on that basis is almost universally rejected. Almost universally results in accusations of incompetence, malfeasance, and greed.

The only mis-step I'm seeing here is the alleged refusal to look it over again. He's onto the problem, but there is something else. Ask yourself a tough question: Is his personal project REALLY the only reason he won't look at your boat?
Posted By: dlundblad

Re: The mechanic who didn't fix the problem. - 03/06/19 08:34 AM

Can you try to fix it yourself before taking it in?

What engine does it have?
Posted By: Bambam

Re: The mechanic who didn't fix the problem. - 03/06/19 01:28 PM

Bust
Out
Another
Thousand

Re: The mechanic who didn't fix the problem. - 03/06/19 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by chainblu
I took it to a guy who charged me $400 and it worked good for one boat trip...

Just to be the devil's advocate, it sounds like he did fix it, but it didn't stay fixed. I mean, as far as he knew, it WAS fixed. But, I'd be looking at that $400 service bill to see what he did (or didn't) do.

Yeah but I'd be wondering what made it not last if I was the mechanic. Unfortunately I wasn't their the day he fixed it. Usually the reason I like independent guys is I can stand next to them and watch, so next time I can just do it myself. Lol

Re: The mechanic who didn't fix the problem. - 03/06/19 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by daves87rs

Not if they're maintained and used regularly. If your car only got used once every 6 months like many boats do it would be a money pit too. I owned this boat for 10 years and only had one $800.00 repair that involved removing the powerhead. Oh and a new trim and tilt unit.
Posted By: StevieC

Re: The mechanic who didn't fix the problem. - 03/06/19 02:26 PM

In my dad's shops we had come backs from time to time and we would check the documentation we kept on the receipts (in our system) and see what the symptoms were last time, what we fixed and why. If the customer came back with the exact same problem within a few months of the original service date through no fault of theirs and without excessive mileage we would work with them until it was resolved at no additional cost.

Cost of doing business and it's going to happen from time to time. It's better to loose time on one job but have the customer come back forever than to hit them hard and always be in need of a steady supply of new customers. wink

The worst case for this was a transmission we rebuilt in a ladies car and it lasted about 30 days and a planetary gear broke and killed the transmission. It wasn't our fault, and it wasn't hers (just bad luck), but we felt bad because we charged for an overhaul. Had we known it was a problem (or it looked questionable) when it was apart we would have replaced it while we were in there.

We went to the scrap yard got a used transmission with low miles because hers was now badly damaged, put it in with a new filter and fresh fluid and she drove it until she scrapped the vehicle 7 years later with a pile of miles. We didn't charge her any extra although it took a extra time and added cost for us. She was a customer long before that and remained a customer until my dad sold his shops and spent a good amount of money keeping her vehicles on the road using my dad's shops in maintenance and repairs so while we lost time and the profit we made originally on the transmission overhaul we didn't loose future profits and she brought her sister and brothers to us as well.

Re: The mechanic who didn't fix the problem. - 03/06/19 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by StevieC
In my dad's shops we had come backs from time to time and we would check the documentation we kept on the receipts (in our system) and see what the symptoms were last time, what we fixed and why. If the customer came back with the exact same problem within a few months of the original service date through no fault of theirs and without excessive mileage we would work with them until it was resolved at no additional cost.

Cost of doing business and it's going to happen from time to time. It's better to loose time on one job but have the customer come back forever than to hit them hard and always be in need of a steady supply of new customers. wink

The worst case for this was a transmission we rebuilt in a ladies car and it lasted about 30 days and a planetary gear broke and killed the transmission. It wasn't our fault, and it wasn't hers (just bad luck), but we felt bad because we charged for an overhaul. Had we known it was a problem (or it looked questionable) when it was apart we would have replaced it while we were in there.

We went to the scrap yard got a used transmission with low miles because hers was now badly damaged, put it in with a new filter and fresh fluid and she drove it until she scrapped the vehicle 7 years later with a pile of miles. We didn't charge her any extra although it took a extra time and added cost for us. She was a customer long before that and remained a customer until my dad sold his shops and spent a good amount of money keeping her vehicles on the road using my dad's shops in maintenance and repairs so while we lost time and the profit we made originally on the transmission overhaul we didn't loose future profits and she brought her sister and brothers to us as well.

If you treat customers like that then you'll have so many you won't be able to beat them off with a stick . Cuddos to you for understanding long term success.
Posted By: chainblu

Re: The mechanic who didn't fix the problem. - 03/06/19 04:20 PM

Yeah but I'd be wondering what made it not last if I was the mechanic.

I agree. Like you and others have said, he should have been more agreeable to looking at it again.

Re: The mechanic who didn't fix the problem. - 03/08/19 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Bambam
Bust
Out
Another
Thousand

NO !! Never say this. It violates the 2nd rule of boat ownership-
1) Guests contribute to fuel
2) Never say B.O.A.T (see above)
3) Never bring bananas on the boat.

Re: The mechanic who didn't fix the problem. - 03/08/19 06:42 AM

[img]https://imgflip.com/i/13eumz[/img]

Re: The mechanic who didn't fix the problem. - 03/08/19 06:45 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Papa Bear

Re: The mechanic who didn't fix the problem. - 03/08/19 09:21 PM

What "fixed it" the first time and what will it take to "fix it" this time? Are you sure it is doing "the same thing for the same reason"? Did a new part fail?
© 2019 Bob Is The Oil Guy