Home

Tried to rent a house

Posted By: Cujet

Tried to rent a house - 09/07/18 09:10 PM

My job is relocating to NY/PA. I tried to rent a rural PA house in fair shape, listed by a real estate company. $1600/mo.

Landlord kept asking for more and more money. The application I signed stated 1st, last and one month security (very normal) . No pet deposit, no additional fees. (this place had fenced pens for hunting dogs against the back of the house)

After much haggling with landlord, we agreed to 6 months up front, $9600. Steep, but do-able. To that he then decides to add 2 months security, then a day later, a non refundable dog fee, then a day later, half the real estate broker's fee.

The agreed on $9600 to move in turned into $14,100 up front before I move in.

I countered with six months rent, one month security, half the broker and the pet fee. He said no.

In what universe is $12,500 cash up front not enough for a crummy $1600/month rental.

By the way, I have perfect credit, with a 841 score and nothing at all wrong on the report. 100% paid ahead of time on everything.

The bad part is that my contract says I must be there in 10 days from today. I have to start again, and I'm in FL busy with work. Some people really stink.
Posted By: StevieC

Re: Tried to rent a house - 09/07/18 09:14 PM

My friend rents a semi-detached in Toronto for $2200/month CDN ($1629 USD) plus utilities. Big cities are getting ridiculous.
Posted By: SatinSilver

Re: Tried to rent a house - 09/07/18 09:16 PM

How much have you paid him so far? I hope zero. I wouldn't want to deal with him long term.
Posted By: OVERKILL

Re: Tried to rent a house - 09/07/18 09:19 PM

Guy sounds like an absolute lunatic. Definitely find a better deal.
Posted By: mclasser

Re: Tried to rent a house - 09/07/18 09:25 PM

Sounds like a scum bag landlord.
Posted By: BigD1

Re: Tried to rent a house - 09/07/18 09:35 PM

Sounds like a hustle job to me. Are you sure these people you are dealing with are legit?

Reason I say this is because I have personally witnessed people renting property they did not own, and the guy that rented to a lady in a suburb of Chicagor was an ordained minister. Paper work looked real, but it was all fraud.
Posted By: Zee09

Re: Tried to rent a house - 09/07/18 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by BigD1
Sounds like a hustle job to me. Are you sure these people you are dealing with are legit?

Reason I say this is because I have personally witnessed people renting property they did not own, and the guy that rented to a lady in a suburb of Chicagor was an ordained minister. Paper work looked real, but it was all fraud.

Same in Florida. Dirt bags renting owners seasonal vacation homes.
Posted By: Eddie

Re: Tried to rent a house - 09/07/18 09:48 PM

Time to back out if possible and talk to the "REALESTATE COMPANY" I fyou have a signed agreement and have paid any money then don't agree to any more money. As stated the owner sounds like a scammer.
Posted By: dishdude

Re: Tried to rent a house - 09/07/18 09:54 PM

6 months upfront? I've never heard of such a thing - I'd run. I wonder if the house is about to be foreclosed on and the guy is looking to run with as much cash as he can.
Posted By: EdwardC

Re: Tried to rent a house - 09/07/18 09:57 PM

That sounds absolutely ludicrous. Even with rising rents and stuff, I've never seen it escalate like that. Around here, it's a month plus one month or month and a half deposit. The worst trouble I've heard of is landlords making it tough to get the deposit back.

Have you gone and visited the property? It does sound like it could be a scam. However, if I were the scammer, I would have happily taken your $9,600 and ran! Heck, as a scammer, I would have taken your initial $3,200 and moved on!
Posted By: KrisZ

Re: Tried to rent a house - 09/07/18 09:59 PM

This much money upfront sounds very excessive. The guys greed may be your saving grace. I know it's hard what you're going g through, I went through something similar last year, but look elsware. Perhaps ask you new employer if they can assist you with finding a rental. Mine sure helped me out before I could find my own and cheaper place.
Posted By: skyactiv

Re: Tried to rent a house - 09/07/18 10:28 PM

Isn't PA and NY losing population in many areas? Seems like you could find a better deal.
Posted By: maxdustington

Re: Tried to rent a house - 09/07/18 11:05 PM

He thought you had more money than sense or were desperate, textbook shakedown. A deal's a deal.
There was no way you were getting that security deposit back.
Posted By: philipp10

Re: Tried to rent a house - 09/07/18 11:12 PM

Why in the world would you ever pay 6 months.....UP FRONT? Never heard of such BS. And the brokers costs are his to cover....or raise the rent to cover. Run!!!

Re: Tried to rent a house - 09/07/18 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by dishdude
6 months upfront? I've never heard of such a thing - I'd run. I wonder if the house is about to be foreclosed on and the guy is looking to run with as much cash as he can.

Guessing not, but the thought crossed my mind. The guy is uber wealthy and greedy.

Re: Tried to rent a house - 09/07/18 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by maxdustington
He thought you had more money than sense or were desperate, textbook shakedown. A deal's a deal.
There was no way you were getting that security deposit back.

That's correct, he'd keep it and I knew it. The agent kept saying "he gave the last tenant the deposit back" . Sure he did......
Posted By: maxdustington

Re: Tried to rent a house - 09/07/18 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Cujet
That's correct, he'd keep it and I knew it. The agent kept saying "he gave the last tenant the deposit back" . Sure he did......
I was going to mention that I would find a different broker, that's fishy.

If you know he has money, he could be relying on that reputation to dissuade you from pursuing any legal action if you were to enter into an agreement with him. Why else would he re-neg on you like that?
Posted By: marine65

Re: Tried to rent a house - 09/07/18 11:34 PM

For $14K you could buy a used motor home.
Posted By: AZjeff

Re: Tried to rent a house - 09/07/18 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by marine65
For $14K you could buy a used motor home.

Which would be a nightmare wintering over in in Pa.
Posted By: madRiver

Re: Tried to rent a house - 09/07/18 11:51 PM

No thanks.
Posted By: Rand

Re: Tried to rent a house - 09/07/18 11:51 PM

Sounds like you escaped a very greedy scammer of some sort.

Asking your employer for help in finding a place at least a temporary one for a few months might be worthwhile.
Posted By: Chris142

Re: Tried to rent a house - 09/08/18 12:30 AM

Can't you buy a house for less monthly payment? You can here in the high rent state of California.
Posted By: PimTac

Re: Tried to rent a house - 09/08/18 12:36 AM

It sounds like a scam to me.
Posted By: DuckRyder

Re: Tried to rent a house - 09/08/18 12:45 AM

I think someone is trying to tell you not to go to PA/NY...
Posted By: azjake

Re: Tried to rent a house - 09/08/18 01:18 AM

Here's another thought. For whatever reason he does not want to rent to you and that's why he's making these demands on money upfront. Maybe he has somebody who's willing to pay a higher rent and he's doing this so you will give up and rent some where else. If you're in a pinch time wise, check if there are any motels/extended stay places that you could stay at for a few weeks while you find another place to rent.
Posted By: Brybo86

Re: Tried to rent a house - 09/08/18 01:30 AM

Run!
Posted By: Wolf359

Re: Tried to rent a house - 09/08/18 02:14 AM

I don't know about the laws in PA, but in MA, we're not allowed to collect more than first, last and security. The broker collects the broker fee so the max that anyone can legally ask you for is 3 months upfront for the landlord and then whatever fee the broker wants to charge. It varies from state to state, but I think most of them don't allow you to collect much more than that, some let you do two months security. Anyway, maybe it wasn't a scam. Someone in NJ called me once and told me they had put down a 5k deposit on a property I was managing that I didn't even know existed. I don't know how he got scammed, but he called my number listed on the company website after he put down the deposit. Never put a deposit down unless you've actually seen the property and met the person. And then you still have to check because I've heard of former tenants trying to scam new tenants.
Posted By: rubberchicken

Re: Tried to rent a house - 09/08/18 02:32 AM

Run - this sounds like a scam, or at least illegal. Were you there in person ?
Posted By: Srt20

Re: Tried to rent a house - 09/08/18 03:36 AM

Where?

I have some relatives that live on that border. The town has a lot of empty houses. Dirt cheap. Western end.
Posted By: JTK

Re: Tried to rent a house - 09/08/18 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Srt20
Where?

I have some relatives that live on that border. The town has a lot of empty houses. Dirt cheap. Western end.

That's what I'm thinking. Cujet, was this rent compatible to others in the area? Where I live $1600/mo would get you something pretty nice.

It's been 25+yrs since I've rented, but 6 months up front? Wow.. there's no way I'd ever do that.
Posted By: Patman

Re: Tried to rent a house - 09/08/18 11:57 AM

I feel sad that you're moving from the beautiful weather of Florida to the cold weather of the north! frown
Posted By: BAJA_05

Re: Tried to rent a house - 09/08/18 12:31 PM

Dont let the door hit you in the arse walking away from that scam!!!
Posted By: Delta

Re: Tried to rent a house - 09/08/18 12:43 PM

Dang, where in rural PA are you planning on renting a house for $1600 a month? In my rural area the most you'd spend would be around $1000 for a newer 3br townhouse. A detached house would be around $800. I'm in the Southern end of the state, but when you say relocating to the NY/PA area I assume you are moving closer to the Scranton/Wilkes Barre region closer to the border.
Posted By: Mr Nice

Re: Tried to rent a house - 09/08/18 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by dishdude

I was thinking the same. There's probably 10 people interested and will pay. He moves in and 2 weeks later the cops show up to evict...

Run away from this scammer.

Posted By: aquariuscsm

Re: Tried to rent a house - 09/08/18 02:06 PM

Hopefully you just looked him straight in the eye and laughed out loud uncontrollably!
Posted By: sleddriver

Re: Tried to rent a house - 09/08/18 07:43 PM

Your employer has put you in a tight bind, with a short time frame to act. How sure if this move will last? Smells fishy.

Re: 'landowner': R u n L i k e [cendored]

Avoid sharks at all costs, particularly when they give you this amount of early warning.
Posted By: aquariuscsm

Re: Tried to rent a house - 09/09/18 03:25 AM

Just get a short lease apartment.
Posted By: Mr Nice

Re: Tried to rent a house - 09/09/18 03:32 AM

Maybe an Extended Stay hotel for a month or two until you can look around and find a place.

Did you sell your Florida home yet ?
Posted By: bbhero

Re: Tried to rent a house - 09/09/18 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by mclasser
Sounds like a scum bag landlord.

^^^^^^^^
Agree 1000 percent.

You deserve way way better cujet.
© 2019 Bob Is The Oil Guy