Home

Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting

Posted By: StevieC

Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/14/18 02:41 PM

Anyone try the Keto Diet? Results?
How about combined with Intermittent fasting? Results?

On it myself and it's working so far but I keep having stalls, and then weight loss resumes without changing anything in terms of activity or diet. Your experiences?
Posted By: dave123

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/14/18 02:45 PM

How many hr fast you on

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/14/18 02:47 PM

Currently on 22 hour with a 2 hour eating window but I have tried various other combinations to see if the fasting time was too long.
Definitely largely in Keto according to blood test strips.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/14/18 02:48 PM

How many calories you consume in two hrs

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/14/18 02:49 PM

I have been playing with that as well. Tried going as low as 1,000 and as high as 2,000 over the course of a week at a time I would make the change. If I step over about 1700 the stall will happen for sure. Over 2,000 and weight gain happens. Below 1700 and I seem to maintain, loose, then maintain, then loose with stall periods.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/14/18 02:52 PM

I should also mention I'm doing Macro tracking with 80% fat, 15% Protein and 5% carbs. I have played with these. Also keeping to strict non-processed all from scratch. No artificial sweeteners either. It's what is making the troubleshooting so hard. Blood sugar is at the low end of the normal range as well.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/14/18 02:52 PM

Do you workout and if so is it fasted
Posted By: thescreensavers

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/14/18 02:53 PM

Whats your TDEE? Eating too little slows the metabolism so stalls happen. Thats why some people do re feeds on keto.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/14/18 02:54 PM

I have tried fasted and non-fasted doesn't seem to change it. Mainly cardio type stuff. Weight lifting is hard for me depending on how it's done because of the problems I have with my back.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/14/18 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: thescreensavers
Whats your TDEE? Eating too little slows the metabolism so stalls happen. Thats why some people do re feeds on keto.

Does the above explain? Not sure what TDEE is.
Posted By: Dorian

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/14/18 02:55 PM

The ketogenic diet is great if done correctly. Your body needs a very low level of sugar intake so that it can maintain a state of ketosis, where your body will be required to make glucose from fatty acids. I have heard that too much protein can actually cause the stalling. Veggies are a prime staple in this diet. However, keep with it. It takes a lot of dedication and will power.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/14/18 02:56 PM

Dorian, thanks... Been on it 9 months now. Was amazing at first with 68lbs dropped so far but then this stalling started and it's a bit discouraging. I like that I no longer crave sweet things or get crazy hungry and overeat. I feel content most of the time which is completely different from other diets where I always felt deprived and hungry.
Posted By: Dorian

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/14/18 02:59 PM

No problem! 68 lbs is incredible. Congrats on the Highlander by the way! You can tell by my sig that I am slightly biased!

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/14/18 03:01 PM

Ha! Thanks... Love it, the 8 speed could be a little better shifting though. I find it a bit jerky at times especially at low speeds but most people are complaining about it as well so I know it's not just mine doing it. The RX-350 has the same transmission and those folks are also complaining.

Hopefully Toyota comes out with a software update to improve shifting. On the highway it's buttery smooth most of the time and the 3.5 Litre is a beautiful engine with GDI/PFI.
Posted By: 69GTX

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/14/18 03:03 PM

There will likely always be "stalls" with any 'diet' as your body gets used to the most recent drop and acclimates to it. At that point another change has to be made to trigger another round of weight loss. Some of it can me be mental as well. Changing the routine up and down tends to keep the body off-guard so it doesn't acclimate as easily. That be from eating more or less calories during any day of the week.

For me continued weight loss to an ideal weight consists of:

Keeping the metabolism rev'd up...which usually means more means/snacks and more "good" calories rather than less. If you're eating only good healthful foods you will have trouble getting all your 1800-2200 calories a day (average). You'll be full. Eat junk and you're body never feels satiated....and craves more junk.

Eliminate poor foods one by one from your diet and add nutrient packed ones with fiber, vitamins/minerals, lower glycemic, antioxidant rich,
etc.

Vombine your proteins/carbs/fats for optimum absorption and minimal fat deposition. You'd be surprised how improper mixing can kill fat loss plans. It's not just about total caloric intake, but includes how those foods combine with each other. Meat with salads/veggies good. Meat with hi carbs not near as good.

Eat more good fats and less higher calorie carbs. Omega 3 and 9 fats....less of the Omega 6's. Ensure your foods are giving a good mix of vitamins and minerals....if not supplement. Vitamin D3 is deficient in most diets in most Americans from around October through March...due to less than optimal sun exposure for UVb rays. That's one you have to supplement some how as it plays important roles in immunity, bone production, etc.

Exercise...at least walking...every day....some aerobics 2X to 4X a week if you can handle that. Stay active and move.

Sleep....very hard to lose weight without a good 6-8 hrs that covers the 10 pm - 2 am prime "body recuperation" window

Water intake...64 to 96 oz a day.

Do all this properly and there is no such thing as a "diet." Just a lifestyle change that will always work.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/14/18 03:04 PM

I second the thoughts on protein and also look into refeed.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/14/18 03:06 PM

Thanks 69GTX, got all that covered... I just call it a diet but it's more of a sustainable eating plan. smile

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/14/18 03:06 PM

Originally Posted By: dave123
I second the thoughts on protein and also look into refeed.

Thanks... Will do.
Posted By: JTK

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/14/18 03:14 PM

Welcome back!

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/14/18 03:18 PM

JTK, for now... If the trolls start up again, I will disappear. No time for that nonsense with those folks.
Posted By: Onetor

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/14/18 03:42 PM

Cardio, Cardio, Cardio!
Posted By: Reddy45

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/14/18 05:37 PM

We had a thread on this a while back.. some good info in there for you to check out.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4829783/1

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/14/18 05:48 PM

Thx
Posted By: hatt

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/14/18 06:17 PM

I just started intermittent fasting. Going for a 10 hour window to start. Not doing keto but I have been watching carbs for a while.
Posted By: javacontour

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/14/18 06:56 PM

Almost everyone does an intermittent fast. Mine is from 9pm until 5am. If my blood glucose is below 100, I eat a banana before I go to the gym.

Eat less, move more, and know how much and how to measure each and you can lose weight.

Someone mentioned plateaus. Here is a graph of my last 6 months since I was suspected of Type 2 Diabetes:

I'm averaging 1.7#/week FWIW. But some weeks are 0 and some are 7 pounds give or take...

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/14/18 07:27 PM

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Almost everyone does an intermittent fast. Mine is from 9pm until 5am. If my blood glucose is below 100, I eat a banana before I go to the gym.

Eat less, move more, and know how much and how to measure each and you can lose weight.

Someone mentioned plateaus. Here is a graph of my last 6 months since I was suspected of Type 2 Diabetes:

I'm averaging 1.7#/week FWIW. But some weeks are 0 and some are 7 pounds give or take...
Supposedly you need to get your fast 12 or more hours to see bennies.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/14/18 07:32 PM

Yes you fast everyone does that's why it's called breakfast a 16 hr feed window is not IF

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/14/18 07:48 PM

Right, because with an 8ish hour a night fast, I've only lost 47 pounds, fasting BG from 180 to the 80's range, and A1C from 7.3 to 5.4

I'm not saying don't do I.F. If it works, do it.

For me, simply paying attention to what I eat, maintaining a caloric deficit, I.E. eat less than I burn and limiting my daily carb consumption to under 203g/day, I've been able to do the above.

I was already exercising, so I didn't need to move more.

One cannot out work or outrun their fork.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/14/18 07:48 PM

Originally Posted By: dave123
Yes you fast everyone does that's why it's called breakfast a 16 hr feed window is not IF

approved

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/14/18 10:11 PM

Right, because with an 8ish hour a night fast, I've only lost 47 pounds, fasting BG from 180 to the 80's range, and A1C from 7.3 to 5.4

For me, simply paying attention to what I eat, maintaining a caloric deficit, I.E. eat less than I burn and limiting my daily carb consumption to under 203g/day, I've been able to do the above.

Why 203g?
Posted By: Uregina09

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/15/18 03:44 AM

You mean guys who call out half truths, exaggerations and lies.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
JTK, for now... If the trolls start up again, I will disappear. No time for that nonsense with those folks.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/15/18 12:54 PM

Was first assigned 225g/day by my dietitian. After the losing 10% of my starting weight, I dropped my targets by 5% Did it again a few weeks ago as I'm close to having lost 20% of my starting weight. 225g*0.95*0.95 is 203

Originally Posted By: Reddy45

Why 203g?

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/15/18 01:20 PM

Everyones Carb consumption limit is different for weight maintenance and gain. Mine happens to be really low I have found. Most likely because I'm insulin resistant because I was Type-II with an A1C in the 8's before starting this change.
Posted By: Ifixyawata

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/15/18 03:10 PM

Every food/nutrition related thread in here undoubtedly attracts the people who say "JUST WATCH WHAT YOU EAT, CALORIES IN-CALORIES OUT" and with that oversimplify any possible nutritional strategy anyone could have, attempting to debunk it. LOL.

It's like the threads started about a sport where the same old people come in every time and say "..something something overpaid" or "I hate this sport, I would never ever watch it".
Posted By: JHZR2

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/15/18 05:50 PM

Welcome back!

68 lbs is crazy - thats wonderful!

Curious about your exercise level associated with the diet.

Stalling is to be expected if youve lost 68lbs, IMO. Retracing upwards as well.

What is a well informed (based upon body size/type/musculature) guesstimate of your ideal mass, and how far off are you?

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/15/18 05:53 PM

About an hour of Cardio per day. Doesn't happen some days due to work etc. but most days.

I'm quite far from the ideal mass for my build/height. I carry it really well and although I'm a big guy naturally you would have no idea I still have 140lbs still to loose to be where I should be. Most people are shocked when they learn how heavy I am because I'm more solid than flabby sort of thing.

Most of this weight gain was in a year period when I spent recovering from a brutal back injury that left me unable to move much. It's been 4 years since then and I have tried various diets to remove this excess weight with mixed results until Keto.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/15/18 06:29 PM

Stop the long cardio and do HIIT 20min session for better gains.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/15/18 06:32 PM

That might be a problem with my back problems... I will attempt though.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/15/18 06:39 PM

Doctor approval but you gotta get heart rate out of comfort level if you can talk and have conversation that ain't gonna cut it.
Posted By: SatinSilver

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/15/18 09:44 PM

Also check out the Pedo diet that Dr. Hyman from the Cleveland Clinic recommends. I saw him on PBS the other night. Seems to have some good tips.

Shortened Link

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/15/18 10:39 PM

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Also check out the Pedo diet that Dr. Hyman from the Cleveland Clinic recommends. I saw him on PBS the other night. Seems to have some good tips.

Shortened Link
Yes a excellent set of books have many and can pick one I would get Food what the Heck I should eat. I think much and if not all many people have ripped off The Dukan Diet and put their own twist on it.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/16/18 04:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata
Every food/nutrition related thread in here undoubtedly attracts the people who say "JUST WATCH WHAT YOU EAT, CALORIES IN-CALORIES OUT" and with that oversimplify any possible nutritional strategy anyone could have, attempting to debunk it. LOL.

It's like the threads started about a sport where the same old people come in every time and say "..something something overpaid" or "I hate this sport, I would never ever watch it".

At the fundamental level, it really is a calories in = calories out formula. If you eat more than you burn, that lingering "energy" has to go somewhere.. and into the fat cells it often goes.

BUT you are correct that oversimplifcation is a big problem when diets are discussed.

Some of us just like eating.. and people who don't really crave certain foods or were raised to not finish their plate clean don't tend to have weight issues.

For example, I have a friend who typically only eats half the plate.. regardless of what he orders. It could be a $2 hamburger or a $50 steak.. and once he eats about half, he's done and that's it until his next meal. I don't know if it's how he was raised or if he has a tiny stomach.. but the guy doesn't really do anything physical and maintains a twig-like figure.

But those of us who love pasta, pizza, donuts, etc.. man it's tough to just eat a modest portion and call it done. Depending on how far along we are on the path to T2 diabetes, our insulin/ghrelin/leptin responses are out of wack. This is where a diet like Keto shines because it's basically a "hack" where you keep insulin at bay while still enjoying rich and filling foods like bacon, eggs, steak etc.

Being in ketosis, and eating very little sugar pretty much turns food into nourishment rather than a reward for me. Most days I have to force myself to have a balanced dinner because I just don't have an appetite or cravings. This makes weight loss incredibly easy and it really turns into a calories in < calories out situation.

And on days where I'm really busy, I can get by without eating at all because my body is already primed to convert fat into energy.. and that changes the dynamic entirely. When I first experienced this phenomenon, my mind was blown because on a normal dietary intake I'd be cranky and starving..
Posted By: Ifixyawata

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/16/18 09:42 AM

But those of us who love pasta, pizza, donuts, etc.. man it's tough to just eat a modest portion and call it done.

You forgot ice cream, snack cakes, etc. I'll admit I was almost sad when I didn't crave those things anymore as they were so enjoyable for such a long time.

I also struggle with breaking the "FAT IS BAD, EAT ONLY LEAN" stigma attached to everything, still. So many fire off advice about how bad red meat or any meat is but what should we really be eating if fatty meats are so, alleggedly cholesterol-spiking?

I'm not staying the course too well right now but when I was deep into keto earlier this year and my employer had a wellness sort of thing you could participate in for reduced health insurance rates. Fatty meats all day every day and my cholesterol numbers were not elevated. And I have previously had bad cholesterol numbers to the point that it was a cause for concern.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/16/18 07:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata

But those of us who love pasta, pizza, donuts, etc.. man it's tough to just eat a modest portion and call it done.

You forgot ice cream, snack cakes, etc. I'll admit I was almost sad when I didn't crave those things anymore as they were so enjoyable for such a long time.

I also struggle with breaking the "FAT IS BAD, EAT ONLY LEAN" stigma attached to everything, still. So many fire off advice about how bad red meat or any meat is but what should we really be eating if fatty meats are so, alleggedly cholesterol-spiking?

I'm not staying the course too well right now but when I was deep into keto earlier this year and my employer had a wellness sort of thing you could participate in for reduced health insurance rates. Fatty meats all day every day and my cholesterol numbers were not elevated. And I have previously had bad cholesterol numbers to the point that it was a cause for concern.

My take is, as long as you are quite active at least a few hours a week -- cholesterol levels are not a concern. Someone who is COMPLETELY sedentary and also trying to lose weight should practice more moderation. Seems only fair.
Posted By: road_rascal

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/16/18 08:39 PM

My boss, a co-worker and myself started the Keto diet a few days ago (we didn't plan it together). I completely tore my hamstring in May so I've been quite lazy for the past few months and really packed on the pounds. My right leg is finally strong enough to do about 20-25 minutes on the elliptical and I've started back up lifting weights. I hope to lose about 20-30 pounds by Thanksgiving. Giving up beer drinking kinda sucks and I absolutely crave tortilla chips and Ritz crackers. But I like cottage cheese, spinach, eggs and all the other foods that the Keto diet recommends.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/17/18 12:22 AM

Some of us just like eating.. and people who don't really crave certain foods or were raised to not finish their plate clean don't tend to have weight issues.

I'm Italian background and love eating and also could eat 24/7 I always have the hunger feeling just varying levels of it depending on when I ate last so this was a big thing I had to overcome. What I liked about Keto is that I found it really turned of the hunger 90% of the time and killed all the cravings for junk food, sweets, and the temptations of eating something I shouldn't.

That said I haven't been cheating, counting calories, watching my macros and adjusting it all while keeping activity levels up. I think I might add some sort of fasting to it further than I have already.

Dr. Jason Fung here from Canada is a bit of an expert on the matter and has good information to back it up with studies so that was my next route.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/17/18 12:26 AM

My take is, as long as you are quite active at least a few hours a week -- cholesterol levels are not a concern. Someone who is COMPLETELY sedentary and also trying to lose weight should practice more moderation. Seems only fair.

My father inlaw struggled with Cholesterol and was quite active including at the gym. He is pretty trim and tried the whole low fat more fiber diet and just couldn't seem to shake the cholesterol. I told him to switch to a Keto diet. He was hesitant at first with all the fats he would consume that would fly in the face of his doctors advice but 1 month later his cholesterol dropped drastically and the following month he went off his medication. His doctor was in awe.

My spouse had the same problem along with Type-2 diabetes. Reversed both in a matter of months. Went off all medications for Cholesterol and Diabetes.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/17/18 12:29 AM

Some good video's I stumbled on this week... Makes a lot of sense and this guy is a Canadian doctor with a credible record.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/17/18 12:39 AM

Peter Attia is pretty awesome to listen to.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/17/18 12:51 AM

Thanks hatt, I check it out.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/17/18 01:35 PM

Fung is a quack. I do believe he contradicts himself many times. I believe the Minnesota Starvation Experiment proves that most if not all of the metabolic slowdown is due to the weight loss. It also proves that the 40% BMR cited by Fung was only 15% for the person who had the largest drop. All others had a lesser drop in BMR.

Fung argues that a calorie is not a calorie. I.E. a calorie from fat is different than a calorie from carbohydrates or protein. - False, with respect to energy, a calorie is a calorie. Eat more than you need and your body will store unused calories as fat.

He argues that diets don't work and people regain the weight.

But what he fails to account for and study is do the people continue to eat less and move more? If someone loses 50# and then celebrates for the next 6 months by eating tacos and cake, they will soon gain back the weight.

The amount of weight lost on any of the various diet programs out there, Keto, Atkins, Weight Watchers, etc is pretty much the same. So it's not the diet. The question is do you stick to it? Not that you have to eat in a deficit all your life, as you will keep losing weight if you are in a caloric deficit. Ever seen a fat concentration camp survivor picture? Probably not.

Once a person transitions from weight loss to maintenance, they have to gradually increase their food intake to see where their maintenance caloric level is. For me, that's probably going to be between 2500-3000 calories/day as I'm pretty active. But then I'm 5'11" and at the moment 218#

Later, and 20-30# lighter and those numbers will change.

I will have to keep using my food scale. (You are using a food scale, right? Measuring cups and eyeball estimates can be way off. A food scale set for grams is most accurate and how I weigh my calorie dense foods like meats, fats, starches and sauces. Things like the 114g grilled chicken breast I had in my omelette this morning with 28g of cheese. I don't weigh non-starchy vegetables, but I will weigh out a potato before I cook it. I do try to build in over estimates so I don't have to weigh everything. I'm not going to weigh the spinach in a salad. But I will weigh out the salad dressing...

Human behavior is that most people won't keep doing that after they reach their goal. So that 28g of cheese becomes 35 or 50, because lazy. Or they fill a bowl with cereal, log it as a portion, when in reality, the typical bowl we use in North America is 2-3 servings of most cereals.

Now, I've learned some tricks for those circumstances when I'm out and can't whip out a food scale. A serving of lean meat needs to be smaller than the palm of my hand. That will put it in the 4-6oz 112-160g range.

Regarding T2D: one doesn't reverse it. It's more like remission, but even that isn't really the right term. You can control your blood glucose with diet and exercise. Mostly diet.

My N=1 study shows that even working out 4 to 6 days each week, you can still have an A1C in the diabetes range if you eat crap.

So by simply making better food choices and staying around 2000-2500 calories day, I've lose 47+ pounds and my A1C is down from 7.3 to 5.4 after the first three months. I'll have it tested again in a couple of weeks.

I take a BG reading once per day, in the morning after a 6-8 hour fast. If my BG is below 100, I'll eat my banana before I go to the gym. If it's above, I don't and will check it again when I get home.

It's usually under 100 after a serious workout.

Averages are:

Past Week 93
Past 2 Weeks 92
Past 30 days 93
Past 90 days 101

Range of 70-100 for BG is considered normal.

No heroic measures are needed. What you choose to eat can impact how hungry you feel, satiation. But as far as an energy perspective, my body doesn't really care of the ~440 calories I had this morning were from little chocolate donuts or a 3-4 egg omelette, 115g of grilled chicken breast, a cup of peppers and onions and 28g of cheese with a bit of salsa.

But I won't be hungry until noon with the omelette. The LCD will have me hungry by 10am...

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/17/18 06:41 PM

To answer your question, yes I'm measuring things. wink

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/21/18 03:31 PM

Ok, so this past weekend I did a 48 hour fast and then as of yesterday (Monday) I went down to one meal a day and ate keto but conservatively on the protein with high good amounts of fat and dark leafy greens. As of Sunday night I had lost 5lbs, and yesterday I lost 1lb. Hoping the trend continues because it means I broke this stubborn plateau.

I had mild hunger on Saturday, no hunger on Sunday and by the evening just before I ate I had an incredible boost of energy an overall feeling of calmness like warm/fuzzy. It was really interesting.

I purposely didn't do any cardio during the fast or on Monday either to ensure it was all diet driven.

I think that is my answer. One meal a day Keto based and then monitor. Add weekend fast if necessary to improve results from the week.

Super happy!

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/21/18 09:38 PM

So the question is, you lost 6# of what?

Fat?
Muscle?
Depleted Glycogen with associated H20?
Eliminated waste?

Look, I'm glad you are losing weight. However, I just hope you have realistic expectations. It's unlikely you burned 21000 calories over the course of 72 hours, meaning some of the loss has to be water and eliminated waste since you didn't eat for 48 hours and you probably depleted a fair bit of glycogen stores in your body.

The typical human keeps 300-700g of glycogen, plus nearly 4g of H20 for every gram of glycogen stored in muscles and the liver.

This is why I caution people who resort to heroic methods to move the scale. Much of the movement will be other than fat items.

Weight loss <> Fat Loss
Posted By: john_pifer

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/22/18 01:19 PM

There are no shortcuts to losing weight and getting fit.

Calories in, calories out.

Diet and exercise.

Abandon the fad diets and start exercising.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/22/18 01:52 PM

Java:

Considering my body has been running on fats for a while now and I only had mild hunger the first day of the 2 day fast and no hunger the second day I'm assuming I'm burning fat reserves and not breaking down muscle. (Fat adapted from Keto diet for such a long time) If I were insanely hungry similar to a calorie restricted diet that includes carbs this would suggest starvation and would lead me to believe I would be burning fat and breaking down muscle as well.

Further I have depleted my Glycogen stores for the most part (I do realize that you can't use up 100% because the body will always keep some reserves), because testing my blood shows a large amount of Ketones in there suggesting the body is using fat reserves instead to manufacture glucose for the brain due to the lack of glucose consumption / carbs converting to glucose.

John:

It's not a FAD diet, it's a really old diet that is gaining popularity because of the health benefits it offers. I was Type-II diabetic before starting the diet and needed medication to keep sugar in control even with a reduced carb diet and proper eating plan. 1 Week on Keto and I didn't need medication at all and my sugar has never gone past 5.5 (100) and the longer I have been on it, it now sits at about 4.4 (80) regularly with minute fluctuations.

Posted By: uc50ic4more

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/22/18 04:45 PM

John:

It's not a FAD diet, it's a really old diet

You ain't kidding. I think a lot of folks seem to forget that humans *invented* agriculture; and it is a diet based on agricultural output (almost entirely carbohydate-based: grains, grains and more grains) that forms our modern concept of diet. I would say it is exactly our agriculture-based diet that is the fad; albeit a long-lasting one. I shudder to think, too, at how we'd feed 7+ billion souls without wheat, rice, barley, corn, etc.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/22/18 04:49 PM

It's insane when you compare disease rates to the things in diets today compared to 100 years ago. It's our over consumption of highly processed, carb & sugar dense foods that is literally killing us.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/22/18 05:57 PM

Or it could be the pre-packaged snack cakes and similar that are the fad.

The majority of Americans are less than 10 minutes travel from fast food and packaged snacks. C-stores and fast food places have exploded in the last two generations.

That's the fad, not farming. That's been on-going for 5000 years give or take.

You can get off the couch, sit in your car, drive 5-10 miles and get take out, or donuts and a slushee, or whatever.

You don't have to work for your food today.

You don't even need to get out of your car at most fast food places. You can order at one window and pick it up at the next.

With Uber Eats, you can pay to have it brought to you.

That's the fad, or at least the recent developments, not farming....

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
John:

It's not a FAD diet, it's a really old diet

You ain't kidding. I think a lot of folks seem to forget that humans *invented* agriculture; and it is a diet based on agricultural output (almost entirely carbohydate-based: grains, grains and more grains) that forms our modern concept of diet. I would say it is exactly our agriculture-based diet that is the fad; albeit a long-lasting one. I shudder to think, too, at how we'd feed 7+ billion souls without wheat, rice, barley, corn, etc.

Posted By: Pew

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/22/18 09:22 PM

You can get off the couch, sit in your car, drive 5-10 miles and get take out, or donuts and a slushee, or whatever.

Within a mile radius I have for fast food:

2 McDonalds
1 taco bell
1 wendys
1 KFC
1 Arbys
1 Panera Bread
1 Culvers
1 Noodles & Company
1 Firehouse subs
1 White castle
2 Dunkin Donuts
1 Starbucks
A Bajillion pizza places

Forget adding in another mile, that'll make the list too [censored] long. I lost probably lost the most weight in the past few months when I got my tints because I couldn't roll down my windows LOL.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/22/18 11:14 PM

That's the fad, or at least the recent developments, not farming....

Point(s) well taken.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/23/18 02:11 AM

Good controlled studies on the benefits of Intermittent fasting. (Complimentary to a fat based Keto diet)

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/23/18 02:12 AM

Long term fasting benefits...

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/25/18 07:35 AM

Stevie, keep up the good work, but please unplug from all the keto pastors like Tom DeLauer, Dr. Berg, and Dr Fung. I know they can give some good info but realize that all 3 of them have a financial interest in you staying on keto and doing keto THEIR way. (Fung maybe not so much, but he does sell books relating to the concept)

It's so ridiculous how quickly ketosis.. a state of the body.. turned into a "diet system", and then all the profiteers swooped in to sell their version of it.

You have it down pat -- keep the carbs low or zero, eat more fat than protein, and maintain a calorie deficit. That's it. Let the body do the rest.

Once you hit your goal, see if you can enjoy bread or fruit on occasion -- our bodies are capable of metabolizing carbs so why not enjoy them once in a while. By then you'll have adapted a better idea of portion control and understand the impact that a slice of pie will have on your body. Best part is you'll be in shape and you'll be able to eat a more diverse diet.

I've seen too many keto people (myself included) develop a literal fear of carbs.. an almost crippling inability to eat a sandwich or a banana.. and this in itself is not healthy. It may be in line with the goals of staying in ketosis, but psychologically we shouldn't be afraid of food. Rather, we have to learn to see carbs as a treat and as a tool. Award yourself with a snack once in a while, but also realize that carbs can be a great way to power through tough workouts or intense activity -- the science even backs up the fact that we can metabolize carbs quicker than fat!

The way that keto is sold to most people nowadays makes it seem like getting kicked out of ketosis is the ultimate sin and that a muffin is going to make you put on all the weight you lost. It's easy to go back into ketosis and weight gain doesn't work like that..

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/25/18 04:52 PM

Yeah I only used those folks at first to get into this, then dropped off from their channels until I had issues with plateaus then I thought I might use them again to see where I was going wrong. Now that I'm back loosing again I'm fine on my own.

Once all the weight is gone I will have no problem maintaining it. The weight gain I had over the years was my own poor eating choices and allowing myself to eat that way because it tasted better than a controlled diet with some fun on the side.

This by far even with the challenges along the way has been the easiest plan to stick to because I'm not hungry all the time like I was on typical calorie restriction where carbs were a part of the diet. thumbsup

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/25/18 07:16 PM

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/25/18 09:30 PM

I'm glad this was widescreen format. This guy is huge. LOL

He also sounds out of breath, I wouldn't be eating 6lbs of meat a day... crzy

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/25/18 09:38 PM

Locomotives need a lot of fuel.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 08/25/18 10:38 PM

Originally Posted By: hatt
Locomotives need a lot of fuel.
LOL

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 09/05/18 03:02 PM

Just an update. Down another 15lbs since. Stoked about the rest I have to loose.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 09/06/18 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by StevieC
Just an update. Down another 15lbs since. Stoked about the rest I have to loose.

If and when you choose to re-introduce carbohydrates into your diet, I'd suggest doing so slowly and to a lesser degree than you may have involved them before.

Congratulations on your progress!

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 09/06/18 06:22 PM

For sure... It will be a slow transition of carbs once I'm at my ideal body weight. I have done much reading on hyper insulin sensitivity when coming off ultra low / no carb diets after long periods. It can actually create temporary high blood sugar situations as your body is no longer use to the influx of carbs because of the deficit for so long.

Especially because I was Type-2 before starting this eating plan.

My goal is to have a properly balanced diet after all is said and done and then I will just monitor my weight strictly and trim here/there to keep it there.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 12/12/18 05:50 PM

Update: The weight-loss continues however I noticed something really interesting. I had the weirdest craving for Pizza and nothing Keto would fix it so I thought, ok I'm going to have a little to get it out of my system and then resume the eating plan.

I had the pizza and with a few hours I started to feel like I was under the effects of alcohol and then started feeling really hot. I didn't sleep well that night and I swear my pulse was faster like I had too much caffeine. The following morning I woke up with a headache and felt mildly thirsty despite not feeling thirsty when I went to bed. (I typically drink a decent amount of liquid in the day).

Anyway I thought it was interesting that after having been on an ultra-low carb diet for so long this was the result of reintroducing carbs back into the diet all of a sudden.

I guess when I finally come off this I will have to reintroduce them slowly, although I will most likely stick to a lower carb diet than before because of how much better I feel on this.
Posted By: KrisZ

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 12/12/18 06:26 PM

Carbs aren't the enemy, well the processed carbs are, but a far greater enemy is sugar.

I wonder if your reaction would've been the same if you had cooked rice instead of pizza.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 12/12/18 07:00 PM

so I thought, ok I'm going to have a little to get it out of my system and then resume the eating plan.

Next time you get that urge, post it here or somewhere else before you do anything so someone can talk you out of it! ;^)

When your body gets used to looking first to fat for energy and develops some efficiency and comfort doing so, dumping pizza into that temple is going to cause trouble.

If and when you choose to transition back to a “normal” consumer diet, re-integrate those carbs gradually with low glycemic whole foods; and try to skip ever re-introducing processed carbs and sugar.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 12/13/18 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Carbs aren't the enemy, well the processed carbs are, but a far greater enemy is sugar.

I wonder if your reaction would've been the same if you had cooked rice instead of pizza.

I'll try that after some time because the reaction to the Pizza wasn't fun.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 12/13/18 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by uc50ic4more
so I thought, ok I'm going to have a little to get it out of my system and then resume the eating plan.

Next time you get that urge, post it here or somewhere else before you do anything so someone can talk you out of it! ;^)

When your body gets used to looking first to fat for energy and develops some efficiency and comfort doing so, dumping pizza into that temple is going to cause trouble.

If and when you choose to transition back to a “normal” consumer diet, re-integrate those carbs gradually with low glycemic whole foods; and try to skip ever re-introducing processed carbs and sugar.

Yeah it was a weak moment. My Italian side muscled through what the temple wanted and well I paid for it. I told Fat Tony to get lost. LOL

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 12/13/18 01:59 AM

I'll try that after some time because the reaction to the Pizza wasn't fun.

Stevie, don't do anything on my account, I was just wondering that's all. Keep doing what you're doing and once you feel it's time to re-introduce carbs, see what happens with whole food carbs first, instead of processed ones.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 12/13/18 02:34 AM

No I'm interested to see as well, maybe once I'm ready to transition back to some carbs I will just do the rice thing to see if it's the shock to my system or it was just the Pizza.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 12/13/18 08:09 PM

No I'm interested to see as well, maybe once I'm ready to transition back to some carbs I will just do the rice thing to see if it's the shock to my system or it was just the Pizza.

White rice ain't much better than any other processed carbs: It is carbohydrate calories devoid of any accompanying nutrition. Whatever you do with the re-introduction of carbs, please be mindful to begin with (and if my advice counts for anything, never stray from) whole foods; preferably at first those whose glycemic index is low.
Posted By: dave1251

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 12/13/18 09:55 PM

I don't buy into Keto. It's still you have burn more than you intake.
Posted By: kschachn

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 12/13/18 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by dave1251

True, but ketosis is a legitimate Krebs cycle pathway and it is metabolically less efficient than the one for glucose.

Plus you get to smell like acetone. What's not to like wink

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 12/14/18 02:59 AM

If you saw the calories from fats and protein I'm consuming you would think otherwise... I was on diets with low carbs as low as 800cal a day and had a hard time loosing. Not so with this.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 12/14/18 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by kschachn

True, but ketosis is a legitimate Krebs cycle pathway and it is metabolically less efficient than the one for glucose.

The acetone breath is temporary. I no longer have it. I also find that I don't need to apply deodorant twice a day any longer like I used to when I was eating carbs. Also I had athletes foot religiously with one toe that I was constantly treating on and off and that has stopped as well.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 12/14/18 04:14 AM

So what are you doing as working out physically how many days a week and what cardio lifting weights crossfit or other???

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 12/14/18 04:45 AM

Hmmm acetone.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 12/14/18 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by dave123

So what are you doing as working out physically how many days a week and what cardio lifting weights crossfit or other???

I haven been in the past couple of weeks because I have been super busy at work and then holiday running around stuff, work travel, and I have tennis elbow going on.
Posted By: kschachn

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 12/14/18 03:12 PM

Hmmm acetone.

It is a byproduct of ketone metabolism as opposed to glucose.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 12/14/18 05:51 PM

I haven been in the past couple of weeks because I have been super busy at work and then holiday running around stuff, work travel, and I have tennis elbow going on.

So just a pile of excuses.
Posted By: Smokescreen

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 12/14/18 06:39 PM

I have been intermittent fasting (IF) for a couple of years now. I am in the best shape of my life and half a century is within sight.

IF totally works to regulate your metabolism and keeps me feeling full of energy. IF makes it easy to eat only good foods. The advantage over all other 'diet strategies' is that it is 100% sustainable in the sense that one could intermittent fast indefinitely. It requires no special food combinations, calculations or restrictions to ostracize you from everyone else. Just eat good food in the 8 hour window. I never have to count calories either.

It probably helps I don't; smoke (vape), partake in any drugs of any kind, or drink any alcohol and that I participate in a regular moderate workout plan.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 12/14/18 06:43 PM

There is much more to a healthy lifestyle than just calories in vs calories out. Sure, when you're looking to lose weight, it's a good approach, but there is plenty if imperial evidence that the quality of food, variaty etc. all play a very big role. There are plenty of "healthy looking" people with plethora of problems because they eat poor quality food, but since their calorie intake is controlled, they are not overweight.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 12/14/18 07:43 PM

So just a pile of excuses.

No just not been doing it in the past couple of weeks. I have chronic back pain and so when life stuff makes me busy I'm usually hurting a little extra and not up for the exercise. The weight loss still continues anyway, just slows a tad bit is all. No biggie.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 12/14/18 07:45 PM

Hmmm acetone.

It tapers down as time goes off as your body adjusts the levels of ketones you need. It's why when you first become fat adapted you have really bad breath and the pounds drop off like mad and then it slows down to 0.5-2lbs a week for most. I'm lucky and have never dropped below the 2lbs a week except for some intermittent stalls which I now chalk up to hidden things in foods I was consuming not realizing it was creating an insulin response and pausing or knocking me out of Ketosis temporarily.

I have a blood meter now and keep tighter control. Strips are darn expensive though. crzy

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 12/14/18 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Smokescreen
I have been intermittent fasting (IF) for a couple of years now. I am in the best shape of my life and half a century is within sight.

IF totally works to regulate your metabolism and keeps me feeling full of energy. IF makes it easy to eat only good foods. The advantage over all other 'diet strategies' is that it is 100% sustainable in the sense that one could intermittent fast indefinitely. It requires no special food combinations, calculations or restrictions to ostracize you from everyone else. Just eat good food in the 8 hour window. I never have to count calories either.

It probably helps I don't; smoke (vape), partake in any drugs of any kind, or drink any alcohol and that I participate in a regular moderate workout plan.

And not to mention it's wicked convenient for someone that works on the road all day and doesn't need to eat. And yes I usually fill myself on no-sugar / low sugar veggies, high quality moderate protein and an abundance of good fats during the meal time. I restrict myself to 2 hours and then wait 24 hours before eating again having only water/black-coffee.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 12/14/18 07:49 PM

There is much more to a healthy lifestyle than just calories in vs calories out. Sure, when you're looking to lose weight, it's a good approach, but there is plenty if imperial evidence that the quality of food, variaty etc. all play a very big role. There are plenty of "healthy looking" people with plethora of problems because they eat poor quality food, but since their calorie intake is controlled, they are not overweight.

For sure, and I will introduce things like fruit back into my diet along with veggies not so low in natural sugars once the weight is all gone. For now I'm enjoying this hack because it's working so well and easy for me to maintain. I most likely will continue to intermittent fast all day long and eat only in a short window when I do return to a normal diet. I like the convenience of not feeling the need to eat and getting more done without getting a headache from not eating. I also like the food cost savings. LOL

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 12/14/18 09:21 PM

The ketogenic is not about a reduction in calories or some other hack-y shortcut to circumvent that inalienable law: It is about getting your body to switch from using glycogen to fat as its primary source of fuel.

It's also about steak. :^)

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 12/14/18 11:13 PM

The ketogenic is not about a reduction in calories or some other hack-y shortcut to circumvent that inalienable law: It is about getting your body to switch from using glycogen to fat as its primary source of fuel.

It's also about steak. :^)

Yes correct and where most people are clueless on the diet.
As far as steak you mostly need the fat only.
Posted By: Shannow

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 12/15/18 07:26 AM

ketosis is a part of the normal metabolism, on a typical intermittent hunter gatherer diet...when I was a kid, doctors would sniff babies nappies to see if they could smell acetone...if they did, the child was being undernourished.

It was never 100% metabolic pathway.

As to calories in and calories out...retrograde starches show that a simple combustion test isn't true for the human body. Gorillas eat pounds of leaves, but are actually living on short chain fatty acids produced by gut...

It's not as simple as a calorimetric energy balance.
Posted By: crinkles

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 12/15/18 08:34 AM

I think it is wise to go through the range of metabolic processes frequently. I've read recetnly that constant feeding is actually bad, because your body never goes through the stages of flipping over to producing it's own energy rather than getting it from food. This points to fasting being good.
Posted By: Cujet

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 12/15/18 02:40 PM

A balanced diet is always going to be the right answer. Start the day with Lucky Charms, skim milk and a Diet Coke. Lunch should be 2 slices of pizza, at least one with veggies and a Diet Coke. Dinner should include fried chicken mashed potatoes and Diet Coke. Along with a bit of rum or bourbon later on.

:0

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 12/15/18 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Cujet
A balanced diet is always going to be the right answer. Start the day with Lucky Charms, skim milk and a Diet Coke. Lunch should be 2 slices of pizza, at least one with veggies and a Diet Coke. Dinner should include fried chicken mashed potatoes and Diet Coke. Along with a bit of rum or bourbon later on.

:0

LOL

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/12/19 05:31 AM

Update:

Down almost 134lbs total since starting. I have had a couple breaks here/there during periods of stalling in the weight loss (normal) and during the holidays to mix it up with my metabolism. (Really reminded me of how terrible I feel eating carbs versus staying away from them... Hard to fathom until you have done it this long).

I've found that 48 hour fasts with 48 hours of normal eating 3 keto meals a day seems to keep my weight loss efficient and moving forward versus the one meal a day.
By doing it on 2 days & 2 days it's never the same days each week which helps keep it mixed up and not routine for the body in terms of activity at work and on the weekend.

Anyway... Still going strong with it and blood work has never been better. My daily blood sugar sits around ~4 (~80) still
and my A1C as of 2 weeks ago was sitting at 4.9 (87)!

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/12/19 03:52 PM

Update:

Down almost 134lbs total since starting. I have had a couple breaks here/there during periods of stalling in the weight loss (normal) and during the holidays to mix it up with my metabolism. (Really reminded me of how terrible I feel eating carbs versus staying away from them... Hard to fathom until you have done it this long).

I've found that 48 hour fasts with 48 hours of normal eating 3 keto meals a day seems to keep my weight loss efficient and moving forward versus the one meal a day.
By doing it on 2 days & 2 days it's never the same days each week which helps keep it mixed up and not routine for the body in terms of activity at work and on the weekend.

Anyway... Still going strong with it and blood work has never been better. My daily blood sugar sits around ~4 (~80) still
and my A1C as of 2 weeks ago was sitting at 4.9 (87)!

Awesome job what is your current weight and waistline height.
Are you seriously going 48hr with no food other than water black coffee or tea??

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/12/19 04:02 PM

Dave,

Yes 48 hours no food, just black coffee & water. I worked up to this with one meal a day which really trains your body to run on fat stores when food is not available. I used to get a headache if I would miss a meal but that was when I was eating carbs. Whether I miss a meal or multiple days now I feel the same steady energy flow because the body easily switches over to using fat stores instead. (Keto community calls it being fat adapted)

Since transitioning to Keto, then one meal a day keto and now 48 hour fasting cycles, I'm not hungry at all and I feel like I could even do 5 days fasting with 2 days of eating (weekends). I haven't done this yet but I have done a couple of 3 day fasts to see if I could do longer than 48 hours and it's not hard for me.

I haven't gone longer because I don't want my body to start storing calories in times of deficit and right now 2 days on and 2 days off seems to work to keep it out of this mode and keep the weight falling off. I also have to keep it at 48 hour fasts minimum during the fasting period to keep glycogen levels depleted so it's forced to convert fat to ketones. This is more so because I have a bit of metabolic syndrome and type-2 diabetes before I started. Normally one meal a day works well for most but the type-2 diabetics require a longer fasting period between meals to make it work or so goes the reading I've done on the subject. (It seems to be working for me so in my case it's validated)

I'm at 340lbs now (down from 475) (I don't look like this at all, I'm 6'2" but I carry it really well. I probably look like I'm 200 at the most).
Current waist line is 50" down from 62" when I started. I'd like to get down to ~200lbs.

Most of this weight was put on in the year I was recovering with a back injury that left me unable to walk most of the day. Bad on me that I let it get this bad during that year but it was tough not to indulge being home all day with nothing to do in a stationary position in front of the TV / Computer. Oh well, live and learn and I'm fixing it now...
Posted By: CourierDriver

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/12/19 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Pew
Originally Posted by javacontour

Within a mile radius I have for fast food:

2 McDonalds
1 taco bell
1 wendys
1 KFC
1 Arbys
1 Panera Bread
1 Culvers
1 Noodles & Company
1 Firehouse subs
1 White castle
2 Dunkin Donuts
1 Starbucks
A Bajillion pizza places

Forget adding in another mile, that'll make the list too [censored] long. I lost probably lost the most weight in the past few months when I got my tints because I couldn't roll down my windows LOL.

Fast food joints are killing us

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/12/19 10:19 PM

The positive trend in some ways of eating is the reversal of heart disease and type 2 diabetes. Check to see if your diets have these characteristics..something to think about.
Posted By: vavavroom

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/12/19 10:42 PM

Hmmm acetone.

It tapers down as time goes off as your body adjusts the levels of ketones you need. It's why when you first become fat adapted you have really bad breath and the pounds drop off like mad and then it slows down to 0.5-2lbs a week for most. I'm lucky and have never dropped below the 2lbs a week except for some intermittent stalls which I now chalk up to hidden things in foods I was consuming not realizing it was creating an insulin response and pausing or knocking me out of Ketosis temporarily.

I have a blood meter now and keep tighter control. Strips are darn expensive though. crzy

You have been losing at least two pounds per week over the last 6 months? How much more weight do you have to lose to arrive at the desired target?

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/12/19 10:58 PM

About 140 more pounds to go and it's higher than 2lbs a week because I had some break periods in there for about 3 weeks in total for the holidays and other occasions.
Posted By: blupupher

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/13/19 02:23 AM

Good to hear this Stevie.
I started Keto first part of October last year. Down ~50 lbs so far.
So far I have not had any slip up or stalls. I initially started watching macros and all that, but lately I have just been making sure to keeps my carbs low (normally am below 10 carbs/day).
I know my protein is probably higher than it should be. Most formulas say I should be ~ 2500 calories, 200 g fat, 190 g protein, 20 net carbs per day. Most days I am around 1800 calories, 180 of both fat and protein, and 10 of carbs.
No real health issues aside from morbid obesity and sleep apnea. BGL is fine, BP is fine. No heart issues. At 5'11" and 375, my BMI was 52% when I started (now 325 lbs and 45%).
If I can get down to 225 I will be ecstatic. My weight gain was over 20+ years, and have always been overweight.
At my current rate, that will be in about another year, but even if it takes longer, it is worth it.
I actually have my annual checkup next month, interested to see what all my labs are. I know my fasting BGL had been in the high 90's to low 100's before, they are now in the 70's (wife has a glucometer that I check with every once in a while, there is a family history of it).

I am not treating this as a diet, it is a change lifestyle and how I eat. My kids asked me how long I was going to do this, I told them forever. And that is my plan.

Funny thing is so many people talk about how much better they feel, how much more energy they have and such, but I still feel no difference, but never really felt bad before.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/13/19 03:00 AM

I know I don't have the 2pm "I need a coffee" crash any longer like I used to have all the time when I was eating carbs. Even after the first couple of weeks that disappeared so I know it wasn't the weight that did it, it was the diet.

As for labs, I'm finding that the 2 days eating 3 meals a day keto foods doing lazy keto where I just make sure carbs are as non-existent as possible and not worrying about fat percentages as much so long as they are higher than protein percentages is far more effective when combined with 2 back to back complete days of fasting.

A couple of Keto Guru's said that after 16 hours on a fast is when the benefits start to kick in and you really ramp up the fat burning from there so by keeping it on for 2 days you are benefiting from fast fat burning for 1 day and 8 hours past the 16 hours to ramp it up and then eating for 2 days thereafter mixes it up for your body to keep the metabolism high because it doesn't feel the need to change the rate at which you are burning fat because you are never on the fast long enough for it to figure it out.

This is also supposed to be amplified for Type-2 diabetic folks because our blood glucose levels stay higher all the time by default because we have developed the problem metabolizing circulating glucose. Which will get better over time by using this diet to deplete the body of its glycogen stores and retrain the insulin sensitivity of the the cells but in the interim the 2 days on 2 days off helps burn more fat than would otherwise be more stubborn to get rid of because with conventional 16:8 intermittent fasting and Type-2 you are never really in the optimal fat burning window because of the delay of the Type-2 has on it than someone that doesn't have type-2.

So essentially a 16:8 for a normal person is 16 hours of fat burning and 8 hours of metabolizing what is eaten is a lot less fat burning for someone with Type-2 because the blood glucose depletion takes longer in folks like us pushing the fat burning window further out.

Just FWIW.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/13/19 05:04 AM

I don't do planned, specific fasting, there are just times I don't eat for 18-24 hours because I am not hungry or just busy doing stuff and don't think about eating.
I often find I eat a late lunch (2-3 pm) and don't eat again till lunch the next day at noon or so. I rarely eat breakfast (I have never been a breakfast person), so even if I eat at 6PM and then eat at noon, that is an easy 16 hr fast. Heck, I ate lunch/dinner @ 4PM yesterday and did not each lunch today till 2.

If I get to the point that I stop loosing, i will probably look more into doing specific fasting periods. I work with a few that fast only days they work (3 12 hr shifts a week, not necessary in a row). and having a 36 hr fast has helped them.

My biggest issue is I have not changed my routine at all. I don't exercise more than before. I still am on my feet and walking all day at work (a 10,000 step day is normal in 12 hours, if not a lot more, plus a lot of standing). I think if I actually made myself do more physical activity I would loose even more. Maybe I will once a little more weight comes off.
Posted By: PimTac

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/13/19 07:00 PM

I’ve been dealing with type 2 diabetes for several years now. I don’t follow a keto diet but I watch my carbs. I have discovered one idea that helps me with my weight and low carbs but gives me nutrition.

In a blender I add 4oz of cold coffee , 2oz of 2% milk, and one scoop of Jarrow Formulas Whey Protein. I use the chocolate flavor to give me a mocha drink. This will tide my late morning hunger and with a small lunch is plenty for me. I have experimented with adding 15ml of MCT oil as well to this before blending.

The carb count is 8gm and the amino acid and protein intake is boosted by this recipe.

Just a suggestion and you can use any good brand of protein powder. I do find that Jarrow makes some very good and consistent products.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/13/19 07:08 PM

Thabks Pimtac
Posted By: SatinSilver

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/13/19 07:18 PM

I picked up some roasted flax seed at Aldi last week for around $2/bag. Then ground it up in a coffee grinder and put it back in the back. Lots of health benefits and really makes you feel full like nothing I've ever had before since it has so much fiber plus protein and omega-3s. Then put it in oatmeal, smoothies, cereal, etc... Eating it straight makes me feel like I'm eating sawdust. LOL

I'm 5'10, 198 lbs and want to get down to 170 since that's my ideal weight.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/13/19 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
I picked up some roasted flax seed at Aldi last week for around $2/bag. Then ground it up in a coffee grinder and put it back in the back. Lots of health benefits and really makes you feel full like nothing I've ever had before since it has so much fiber plus protein and omega-3s. Then put it in oatmeal, smoothies, cereal, etc... Eating it straight makes me feel like I'm eating sawdust. LOL

I’ve heard a lot of good things about flax. We have some of that as well. I should add some to my drink

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/13/19 08:14 PM

I just take a tablespoon of lemon flavoured wild caught cod liver oil for A/D/Omega 3 a day and it helps me get my fats for Keto when I might be eating lean chicken.

Also keeps you regular as well and much more pleasant on salad or even straight than eating flax seed.

I read somewhere too that Fish Oil based Omega 3s are superior to Flax seed based.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/13/19 08:42 PM

I just take a tablespoon of lemon flavoured wild caught cod liver oil for A/D/Omega 3 a day and it helps me get my fats for Keto when I might be eating lean chicken.

Also keeps you regular as well and much more pleasant on salad or even straight than eating flax seed.

I read somewhere too that Fish Oil based Omega 3s are superior to Flax seed based.

Generally speaking that is correct but there are Omega 6s and Omega 9s that are plentiful in plant based sources. I take fish oil that has a balance of EPA and DHA as these are important factors.
Posted By: 53' Stude

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/13/19 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by SatinSilver

I add that to plain 0% FAYE (correct spelling of this yogurt for whatever reason is censored) a long with fresh fruit for a breakfast smile
Posted By: ZZman

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/13/19 11:32 PM

I don't understand these extreme diets. Do you lose weight? Yes. Are you likely to be able to stay on them for long? No.
Carbs are delicious. No food should be off limits. But moderation in eating and exercise is key. It is calories in vs calories out.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/13/19 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by ZZman
I don't understand these extreme diets. Do you lose weight? Yes. Are you likely to be able to stay on them for long? No.
Carbs are delicious. No food should be off limits. But moderation in eating and exercise is key. It is calories in vs calories out.

What about the ketogenic diet is extreme? It could be argued that using millions of square miles of our land to plant seeds to grow grasses like wheat, corn, barley and rice is extreme and highly unnatural. Prior to the invention of agriculture I'd have to presume that humans had been eating meats of varying sorts and foraging for low glycemic, above-ground vegetables and massive amounts of leafy greens since there'd been humans.

Agriculture is extreme! smile

The point is well made, though, that if we cut out ANY single macronutrient we're bound to lose weight. Eating steak while training my body to use fat instead of carbohydrates as my day-in, day-out source of fuel sounds like a winner to me.

(In the interest of disclosure, I spend about a month per year in ketosis; and have just finished my dinner of steak and spinach salad with avocado and walnuts and goat cheese minutes ago.)
Posted By: FlyPenFly

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/14/19 12:01 AM

You can still have cheat days on keto as well which makes it a lot more sustainable.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/14/19 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by FlyPenFly
You can still have cheat days on keto as well which makes it a lot more sustainable.

I am not sure who told you that; but ketosis is a metabolic state your body gets into - and out of. There is no cheating your biology.

You can kick yourself out of and back into ketosis as often as you wish, of course; but I would not wish the period of acclimatization to ketosis (“keto flu”) on anyone too often!

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/14/19 12:50 AM

Been on it more than a year and have blood work all that time and doctors exams regularly. That should be long enough to prove it no?

Also folks with Epilepsy benefit from a Keto diet in terms of seizure control, that is what the diet was initially developed for. Some folks have been on it their whole lives in an attempt to limit the number of episodes they have where medication alone isn't enough.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/14/19 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by FlyPenFly

I am not sure who told you that; but ketosis is a metabolic state your body gets into - and out of. There is no cheating your biology.

You can kick yourself out of and back into ketosis as often as you wish, of course; but I would not wish the period of acclimatization to ketosis (“keto flu”) on anyone too often!

It does get easier the more times you do it versus the first time. I had the Keto-Flu the first time... Now when I enter back into it I just get an annoying headache the first day of fasting and then it goes away. I assume if I did more in/out's I would eventually become immune to this as well as I no longer get the Flu feeling any longer. Not sure about this though...

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/14/19 12:57 AM

What about the ketogenic diet is extreme? It could be argued that using millions of square miles of our land to plant seeds to grow grasses like wheat, corn, barley and rice is extreme and highly unnatural. Prior to the invention of agriculture I'd have to presume that humans had been eating meats of varying sorts and foraging for low glycemic, above-ground vegetables and massive amounts of leafy greens since there'd been humans.

Agriculture is extreme! smile

The point is well made, though, that if we cut out ANY single macronutrient we're bound to lose weight. Eating steak while training my body to use fat instead of carbohydrates as my day-in, day-out source of fuel sounds like a winner to me.

(In the interest of disclosure, I spend about a month per year in ketosis; and have just finished my dinner of steak and spinach salad with avocado and walnuts and goat cheese minutes ago.)

Think of hunter gatherer. Where they wouldn't eat for days at a time and might only have meat, or only vegetables with long periods. Now fast forward and our biology hasn't changed and we are good at making calorie and carbohydrate dense foods and it's an overabundance of this that the body can't process in these amounts forever so metabolic syndrome and Type 2 diabetes happens from a fatty liver as a result and ultimately Type-1.

Now if the body can take fats and run off them for a fuel source via Ketones and the body can manufacture what glucose it needs to run the brain from Ketones why is there a need for glucose supplementation through diet from Carbohydrates?

I literally tried caloric restriction diets, protein diets and everything else with/without exercise and nothing works like this works when followed properly. Strict adherence to extremely low carbs is an absolute must and fats must make up more than the protein. And not too much protein in one sitting or it can cause an insulin response and either pause or knock you out of keto all together.

Contrary to medical science telling you that it's fats that cause cholesterol I'm going to tell you that it's carbohydrates and/or the presence of metabolic syndrome / type-2 diabetes which creates a fatty liver that causes it. Literally within a couple weeks of eating this diet my cholesterol went from a problem I should be taking a Lipitor for, to just below the acceptable level to almost non existent there after. Eating FATS like butter, cheese, bacon and olive oil, fish oils.

Many others have had the same experience including my spouse who is also Type-2 diabetic and had a cholesterol problem. shrug
Posted By: Wolf359

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/14/19 02:50 AM

Think of hunter gatherer. Where they wouldn't eat for days at a time and might only have meat, or only vegetables with long periods. Now fast forward and our biology hasn't changed and we are good at making calorie and carbohydrate dense foods and it's an overabundance of this that the body can't process in these amounts forever so metabolic syndrome and Type 2 diabetes happens from a fatty liver as a result and ultimately Type-1.

I'm not sure hunter gatherers actually have a solid history of longevity.

I'm also not sure any nutritionist would recommend this type of diet.

The trick with diets is that pretty much anything works. Most of them control for calories in one way or another which is why there's always some fad diet around. So any calorie reduction is bound to work.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/14/19 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Wolf359

Likely due to a complete lack of social infrastructure, medical science, etc.; and when a majority of your children don't see their 5th birthday it'll bring your statistical average life expectancy down a bit, too. smile

I think they hit the nail on the head as far as diet and exercise go; with the latter being tragically overlooked today.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/14/19 04:21 PM

Likely due to a complete lack of social infrastructure, medical science, etc.; and when a majority of your children don't see their 5th birthday it'll bring your statistical average life expectancy down a bit, too. smile

I think they hit the nail on the head as far as diet and exercise go; with the latter being tragically overlooked today.

If you eliminate those early deaths, average may have been in the 70's. But if you ask people who live to 80-90+, I don't think they're on any of those crazy fad diets.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/14/19 05:48 PM

If you eliminate those early deaths, average may have been in the 70's. But if you ask people who live to 80-90+, I don't think they're on any of those crazy fad diets.

"Crazy" and "fad" are your ideas. The longest-living peoples on earth have "crazy, fad" diets that are seasonal and local; both of which are staples of a ketogenic diet, which will lead one to avoid processed garbage. And the longest-living people on earth share commonalities that transcend diet: They remain active, vital and immersed in their communities for the entirety of their lives. In my entire life I have also yet to hear about or see abjectly miserable or cynical or stressed out people live too long... Perhaps diet itself is a supplement; but is the component of our lives that is most easily marketed and profited from.

Just because someone gave it a name and because it is gaining in popularity (due to the THRONGS of people testifying to its effectiveness) makes it neither crazy nor a fad. In fact, it is humanity's default and original diet. Wouldn't everything that followed, having been **invented** by people, be "crazy fads"? I think that having a diet centred on carbohydrates is entirely unnatural. The only reason we do that today is because carbs are cheap and easy. They make the best product, but not the best food.

If diets that have names bothers you so much, consider this piece of wisdom, then, which I heard just a few months ago: "Do all of your grocery shopping on the store's periphery. There you will find vegetables and meats and other REAL foods." The boxes and cans and bags and processed garbage tend to reside in the aisles. My personal aim is to eat foods as close as is feasible to the way they grew, walked or swam.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/14/19 05:54 PM

I'll take my chances with this "fad diet" which has been around since the early 1900's, over Carb rich foods with an abundance of HFCS, franken-wheat and the plethora of other "Fine to eat" science is attempting to shove down our throats, oh and the "Here, take these pills to fix what we broke with our science diet" nonsense.

I mean it's not like diabetes and cancer hasn't been on a sharp rise or anything during the same period of time "science" has been supposedly helping us. LOL

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/14/19 06:21 PM

I'll take my chances with this "fad diet" which has been around since the early 1900's, over Carb rich foods with an abundance of HFCS, franken-wheat and the plethora of other "Fine to eat" science is attempting to shove down our throats, oh and the "Here, take these pills to fix what we broke with our science diet" nonsense.

I mean it's not like diabetes and cancer hasn't been on a sharp rise or anything during the same period of time "science" has been supposedly helping us. LOL

The "diet" has had a **name** since the early 1900's. Eating flesh and leafy greens and above-ground vegetables is what people have been doing since we've been "people"; until crazy fads were invented which were cheaper and easier. smile

The rise of disease in the time of medicine also may be at least equally attributable to stress, sedentary lifestyles and the toxic products of the industrial age as diet. Although there isn't a dietitian on this earth who doesn't recognize and warn against the destructive properties of processed foods (I have never seen a "pasta tree" or a "bread berry". smile ), there are others who in their respective fields of expertise have similarly dire warnings about stress, sloth and air- or water-borne toxins.

Speaking of which, I am about to apply my ~20lb. Canadian Armed Forces tactical vest and attempt a MURPH workout. If none of you ever hear from me again, it was an honour chatting with you. smile

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/14/19 06:44 PM

No the diet has been around since the 1900's for folks with epilepsy and fasting has been around since 500 BC

Fasting and other dietary regimens have been used to treat epilepsy since at least 500 BC. To mimic the metabolism of fasting, the ketogenic diet (KD) was introduced by modern physicians as a treatment for epilepsy in the 1920s. For two decades this therapy was widely used, but with the modern era of antiepileptic drug treatment its use declined dramatically. By the end of the twentieth century this therapy was available in only a small number of children's hospitals. Over the past 15 years, there has been an explosion in the use, and scientific interest in the KD. This review traces the history of one of the most effective treatments for childhood epilepsy.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19049574

cheers Enjoy the workout. I'm eating bacon at the moment as I'm in day 2 of the 2 day cycle where I eat. Next 2 days no food.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/14/19 07:53 PM

"Crazy" and "fad" are your ideas. The longest-living peoples on earth have "crazy, fad" diets that are seasonal and local; both of which are staples of a ketogenic diet, which will lead one to avoid processed garbage. And the longest-living people on earth share commonalities that transcend diet: They remain active, vital and immersed in their communities for the entirety of their lives. In my entire life I have also yet to hear about or see abjectly miserable or cynical or stressed out people live too long... Perhaps diet itself is a supplement; but is the component of our lives that is most easily marketed and profited from.

Just because someone gave it a name and because it is gaining in popularity (due to the THRONGS of people testifying to its effectiveness) makes it neither crazy nor a fad. In fact, it is humanity's default and original diet. Wouldn't everything that followed, having been **invented** by people, be "crazy fads"? I think that having a diet centred on carbohydrates is entirely unnatural. The only reason we do that today is because carbs are cheap and easy. They make the best product, but not the best food.

If diets that have names bothers you so much, consider this piece of wisdom, then, which I heard just a few months ago: "Do all of your grocery shopping on the store's periphery. There you will find vegetables and meats and other REAL foods." The boxes and cans and bags and processed garbage tend to reside in the aisles. My personal aim is to eat foods as close as is feasible to the way they grew, walked or swam.

Say whatever you like but just look at the data. Fads are diets that become popular and fade away with time. The basics of any diet is a reduction in calories. They're successful in the short term, but not always for the long term. That's why I label them as crazy fads.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/14/19 07:58 PM

... Do all of your grocery shopping on the store's periphery. There you will find vegetables and meats and other REAL foods. ...

I heard similar a long time ago, and it is so true.

Since starting Keto, just about the only things I buy from the inner part of the store are olives, sriracha sauce and Powerade Zero.

And as far as it being a fad, for many it may be, but those are those that think cheat days are OK on a Keto diet.
For many that have found Keto is a sustainable way to eat and loose weight, as well as other dietary and health benifits, it is not a fad. It is a way that has been around a long time but has not been well known. We have been taught the "food pyramid" from a young age, and tried to follow it (or not), with nothing but bad health and weight for many.
I blame no one but myself for my current weight, but I can thank several for showing me and telling me about the Keto way. Where will I be with this in 5 years, 10 years, no idea, but for now, I can see myself still doing it, and being healthier for it.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/14/19 08:17 PM

Speaking of the food pyramid, Canada just updated their food guide to include less meat and more vegetables and recommends less sugar and sodium / trans-fats so change is coming slowly slowly...
Maybe in another 4 decades they will arrive at Keto. LOL

Actual food guide: https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/h...e-aliment/print_eatwell_bienmang-eng.pdf
Article about the changes: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...p-of-canadas-food-guide/article35728046/

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/15/19 03:56 AM

I agree with you and diet humans ate whatever is abundant in thier environment this includes high and low carb, high and low protein, and the same combination for fat. It's easy to be at an ideal weight if your exercising the calories away.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/15/19 03:58 AM

Speaking of the food pyramid, Canada just updated their food guide to include less meat and more vegetables and recommends less sugar and sodium / trans-fats so change is coming slowly slowly...
Maybe in another 4 decades they will arrive at Keto. LOL

Actual food guide: https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/h...e-aliment/print_eatwell_bienmang-eng.pdf
Article about the changes: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...p-of-canadas-food-guide/article35728046/

Keep believing its what is causing the weight loss.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/15/19 04:25 AM

Dave did you miss the part that I tried every other diet prior and that medical advice was... Here take these pills for your cholesterol and Type-2 diabetes and by the way you will be Type-2 the rest of your life and most likely Type-1 at some point?

Funny that I corrected that in a few weeks on this diet over a year ago.

Funny also having tried low calorie diets, normal calorie diets with extra exercise all added in and not much change. I changed to this and in the first couple weeks with no exercise I lost 30lbs. Yes a couple of weeks. Not the typical weight loss as time goes on but common in the first couple weeks.

Even in the weeks where I'm busy at work and don't make the time to exercise or when I'm feeling lazy. I still loose a good amount of weight that week and I have back to back weeks like this.

I don't know about you but this speaks to me and it has for others as well. shrug
Posted By: Skippy722

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/15/19 04:37 AM

Keep believing its what is causing the weight loss.

It’s also been working great for my wife, she’s been getting similar results to Stevie.

I tried doing it, but Dr. Pepper and sweet tea are my weaknesses.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/15/19 04:46 AM

Dave did you miss the part that I tried every other diet prior and that medical advice was... Here take these pills for your cholesterol and Type-2 diabetes and by the way you will be Type-2 the rest of your life and most likely Type-1 at some point?

Funny that I corrected that in a few weeks on this diet over a year ago.

Funny also having tried low calorie diets, normal calorie diets with extra exercise all added in and not much change. I changed to this and in the first couple weeks with no exercise I lost 30lbs. Yes a couple of weeks. Not the typical weight loss as time goes on but common in the first couple weeks.

Even in the weeks where I'm busy at work and don't make the time to exercise or when I'm feeling lazy. I still loose a good amount of weight that week and I have back to back weeks like this.

I don't know about you but this speaks to me and it has for others as well. shrug

Stevie you can believe whatever you want. The fact is this is a problem caused by not carbs but the fact we have grown lazy and never adjusted our intake. There are still hunter gather tribes around where 70%+ percentage of thier caloric intake is carbs. There is not an epidemic of diabetes, heart disease, obesity or other problems associated with over eating. Within stated tribes. When I'm in intense training over 40% of my diet is carbs without them my muscles do not recover nearly as fast there is an energy deficit and despite the increase in carbs I will still lose weight and my physical performance increases.

You believe Keto is working and I can see how as increased meat and vegtables into your diet actually makes your body work harder to convert food into energy and you believe it's working really that is all which matters.
Posted By: Shannow

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/15/19 11:37 AM

They did a heck of a lot better than the early (and late) agriculturists, after grasses tamed the human race.

Hunter gatherers had enough "reserves" to build Gobekli tepe (sp), quite likely before they built houses.

Strong evidence that Australian Hunter Gatherer's used some modifications to improve the game and the like in their area, but weren't burdened with becoming beasts of burden, fixated to a singular plot of land, tending to their grasses, and suffering the joint erosion and malnutrition that came with monoculture.

Early agriculture...we died earlier and probably were happier doing so.

BTW, I also agree with Dave's post above...the carbs they are eating isn't pasta and bechemal

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/15/19 05:40 PM

They're successful in the short term, but not always for the long term. That's why I label them as crazy fads.

There are very scant numbers of people who remain in ketosis long-term (I max out at a month per year, *max*, usually to drop ~10lbs of "winter weight"); although due to the diet's profound stabilization of blood sugar levels and consistent energy delivery, a growing number of endurance athletes are beginning to buy in long-term.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/15/19 05:57 PM

I'm over a year now and have about monthly blood work done and haven't seen bad labs yet. My spouse the same. Not saying this is the case for everyone but I haven't heard anything about it being bad long term other than traditional medical folks trained to tell you that it can cause gout. smirk2

Luckily my doctor has an open mind and sees the results. He's even recommending it (under supervision) to other folks struggling with metabolic syndrome and Type-2

My MIL and FIL both have Type-2 diabetes and although they won't go onto a Keto diet they have been following a low carb diet and my MIL has gone off her type-2 medications and my FIL's A1C has decreased drastically. He still needs medication but he's nowhere near where he used to be and his cholesterol problem has gone away. He's happy about that because he had muscle pain from the different types of medication they had him on. Which is common I'm told.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/16/19 07:10 PM

On it myself and it's working so far but I keep having stalls, and then weight loss resumes without changing anything in terms of activity or diet. Your experiences?

whole food plant-based way of eating for me...usually this type of eating stops type 2 diabetes and reverse many types of heart disease...more info at www.pcrm.org

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/16/19 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by CourierDriver

whole food plant-based way of eating for me...usually this type of eating stops type 2 diabetes and reverse many types of heart disease...more info at www.pcrm.org

I prefer this approach I feel better after following this plan rather than any fad which had come and gone the last 20 years.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/17/19 12:16 AM

Fad? LOL

1920's It has been around... It's not your "South Beach" diet.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/17/19 06:39 AM

Fad? LOL

1920's It has been around... It's not your "South Beach" diet.

It's a fad and while you have spouted off about all the benefits you have diabetes correct? What is your bloods PH how are your kidneys functioning? Have you and your Doctor have even considered this?

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/17/19 03:48 PM

Yes I have been tested for blood PH because he was worried about Gout being on this diet. I have also had a urine test a few times as well. All because the alarm bells were going off for him regarding a non-traditional diet and me telling him I have stopped taking my Type-2 Diabetes medications.

I have nothing to hide in my labs with my doctor and if he had found a problem I wouldn't be sticking to this eating plan but I have only seen benefits and positive results.

I tested my blood sugar on the weeks I took breaks from Keto over the holidays and I was still below the pre-diabetic glucose levels eating carbs so while I won't say I cured my Type-2 Diabetes I have given my system a break long enough to reverse it, it seems.

I could manage my blood sugar now without medication although I feel much better not eating carbs in terms of stable energy that I can't see myself going back to traditional meals of the past.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/17/19 04:15 PM

Yes I have been tested for blood PH because he was worried about Gout being on this diet. I have also had a urine test a few times as well. All because the alarm bells were going off for him regarding a non-traditional diet and me telling him I have stopped taking my Type-2 Diabetes medications.

I have nothing to hide in my labs with my doctor and if he had found a problem I wouldn't be sticking to this eating plan but I have only seen benefits and positive results.

I tested my blood sugar on the weeks I took breaks from Keto over the holidays and I was still below the pre-diabetic glucose levels eating carbs so while I won't say I cured my Type-2 Diabetes I have given my system a break long enough to reverse it, it seems.

I could manage my blood sugar now without medication although I feel much better not eating carbs in terms of stable energy that I can't see myself going back to traditional meals of the past.

How many minutes per day or week if any do you get your heart rate in a elevated state from some sort of cardio activity.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/17/19 09:56 PM

It depends... I try to walk briskly for 1/2 hour to an hour on the treadmill at home (mainly) but it depends on work schedule, if I'm feeling lazy (usually after the day), or my lungs aren't co-operating and leaving me more winded than usual. (On-set of COPD - early stages).

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/18/19 04:41 AM

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/18/19 02:36 PM

Those 2 annoy me or some reason.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/18/19 02:51 PM

Yeah I'm not a fan of watching all their videos but follow the channel in case something peaks my interest....

Found another great video this morning as to why Sugar is responsible for High cholesterol and not dietary fats... Watch him instead. LOL

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/18/19 03:04 PM

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/18/19 03:05 PM

Posted By: Malo83

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/18/19 06:19 PM

I'll stick with the Med diet, better for your health cheers
https://spoonuniversity.com/lifestyle/the-keto-diet-and-the-mediterranean-diet

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/18/19 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Malo83
I'll stick with the Med diet, better for your health cheers
https://spoonuniversity.com/lifestyle/the-keto-diet-and-the-mediterranean-diet

The reason that modern science thinks that the Keto diet is bad for your health is because of how they measure the blood cholesterol. High "bad cholesterol" is not a problem if it's a certain type, problem is that they aren't looking at it properly and just assume that everything is "bad cholesterol". Watch the video above with the Australian doctor called "Saturated fat is not dangerous" for an understanding of this.

That said I actually have seen my "bad" cholesterol drop anyway... Most likely because I eat a heavy Omega-3 diet with low Omega-6.

Although Med-diet is much better than standard American diet that is for sure. (And by American I mean this continent, not the U.S. specifically)

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/27/19 08:59 PM

Why conventional diets and exercise doesn't work (Calories in / Calories out)... Toronto Doctor with data.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/27/19 09:00 PM

I'm down 10lbs since last week.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 02/28/19 02:38 PM

A friend sent me this, this morning... https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/27/inve...s-stock-ww-oprah-winfrey-keto/index.html

New York (CNN Business)Oprah Winfrey famously proclaimed "I love bread!" in a Weight Watchers commercial three years ago. But carbs aren't cutting it for the company anymore.

Shares of WW (WTW) — Weight Watchers' new name — closed down 34% on Wednesday after the company shocked Wall Street with poor earnings and sales.
CEO Mindy Grossman attributed the problem to the keto diet, a popular eating regimen that makes bread and other carbs taboo. She said during a call with analysts Tuesday that keto is "becoming a cultural mean," and she even called it a "keto surge."
Wall Street is clearly nervous, too.

(CONTINUED)

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 03/10/19 02:47 AM

Posted By: Skippy722

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 03/10/19 09:38 AM

I’m going to start eating a keto diet Monday. But I went to the store for diapers and came out with this also... I’m going to miss cookies and jelly beans cry

Attached picture C1FB35B3-5A0D-4854-BAE3-D556FDC132B3.jpeg

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 03/10/19 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Skippy722
I’m going to start eating a keto diet Monday. But I went to the store for diapers and came out with this also... I’m going to miss cookies and jelly beans cry

Looks like you have the diet on point.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 03/10/19 03:38 PM

Stevie you are doing quite a bit of fasting there the keto may help you feel not hungry but your weight loss is from the fasting. Good work and your discipline is top notch.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 03/10/19 03:43 PM

Would be nice to know what his daily calorie intake is when he is in feed cycle.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 03/10/19 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Skippy722

Wrong way to start.
You don't carb load before restricting carbs. That will make it harder.

That bag of jelly beans has 370 g of carbs, which is what you should have spread out over 18 days (assuming it is the 41oz bag, 37g carbs per serving, 10 servings in a bag).
And the box of cookies, that is another 3 days worth of carbs (based on 17 g per serving (4 cookies) and 5 servings in that box). 3 weeks worth of carbs in that basket.
Not implying your going to eat all that yourself in 1 day, but just gives you perspective in how many carbs are in that.
This is based on having 20g carbs per day (standard level for keto, although some say 30g).
If you go into it with the attitude you are going to "miss" something, it will be much harder to stick to.

When I started, I just decided one day to do it. I had read about it and researched for several months, but had not changed my eating habits at all till one day I decided I was tired of being fat.
I did not binge eat all the stuff I can no long have before I started, and I have not had a single "cheat" day (which will kick you out of ketosis and your body has to start over again).
I hear many people say they are on the Keto diet and do a cheat day once a week, but can't lose weight. I try to explain that it takes 1-3 weeks just to get into ketosis, so if you "cheat" once a weak, you never get into it. They are on a low carb diet, not the keto diet, and those are 2 different things (keto is always low carb, but low carb is not always keto).

For me, this is not a diet, it is a new way of eating that I plan on following for the rest of my life. When I get to my ideal weight, I know I can start adding a few more carbs, but pizza, candy, cookies, chips and all that "good stuff" are no longer things I will eat, and I am ok with that.

60 lbs lost in just over 5 months, by just changing my diet.
Not a bit more exercise (I walk 3-5 miles/day 3 days a week at work, but no specific cardio exercise regimen).
If I actually got off my rear and did some cardio and strength training instead of sitting here on the computer, I would probably be losing it faster.
I hope to be at my goal weight in less than a year (still have 115 lbs to get there), but I really don't see why I can't do it.

Stevie you are doing quite a bit of fasting there the keto may help you feel not hungry but your weight loss is from the fasting. Good work and your discipline is top notch.

Yes, it is, but when in ketosis, the fasting burns more body fat than somebody that is not in ketosis.
Regular intermittent fasting on a "normal" diet will result in some weight loss, but not much, and not long term, and longer fasting will result in muscle loss, not fat loss.
In ketosis, the body is already used to using fat for energy, so it uses up body fat faster, with minimal impact on muscle mass.

Would be nice to know what his daily calorie intake is when he is in feed cycle.

Funny thing, you don't really worry about calories with the keto diet. You care about fat, protein and carb intake (commonly refered to as "macros"). The calorie part just works itself out if you meet your macro goals.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 03/10/19 04:12 PM

Good info even if a person doesn’t do full Keto.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 03/10/19 04:25 PM

Yes I do understand Macro Breakdowns you still have a daily caloric number when you eat be it 3000 calories 1500 calories you have a number at the end of the day.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 03/10/19 05:37 PM

I want to update on my early findings after starting this last Monday. I am a type 2 diabetic. My carb intake was based on a percentage that the ADA diet has. My carb intake was 80-120 grams a day based in a 1500 daily calories intake. I am easily 20 pounds overweight.

Starting Monday my intake went down to 43 grams of carbs. Since then I have been running 20 grams daily with consistency. I do know my calorie intake is less than 1500 but I haven’t tracked it. I should.

My blood pressure systolic numbers have dropped 20 points in a very short time. My diastolic have dropped about 5 points. My fasting blood glucose was running in the mid 140s and into the 150s. I am now seeing FBS under 130 and this morning it was 116.

I haven’t lost much weight yet. I am down a pound. This may be a delayed action and I am not in a hurry to drop the 20 pounds. I’d rather do it slowly. My exercise is still about a hour each day with walking.

So far I am pleased. There is a good deal of discipline that has to come with starting something like this. Like anyone, when I go to the supermarket the bakery section smells wonderful but I walk by.

My meals this week.

Breakfast. Two eggs and two strips of bacon. Coffee black

Late morning. A low carb wrap with turkey, cheese and sometimes bacon

Early afternoon. Same as late morning.

Supper. Beef and broccoli stir fry with mushrooms and onions. I eat this by itself, no rice.

Fish with vegetables.

One hamburger patty by itself with vegetables.

On some days I will drink a protein smoothie with 4oz of cold black coffee, 2oz of 2% milk and a scoop of Jarrow chocolate whey protein. 8 grams of carbs. Tons of nutrients.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 03/10/19 06:41 PM

I'm doing the fasting to accelerate it to 10lbs a week versus the 3lbs a week with just the diet.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 03/10/19 06:42 PM

Couldn't tell you, but I eat till I'm full and eat when I'm hungry on the feeding days. I don't track macros or calories.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 03/10/19 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by PimTac
I want to update on my early findings after starting this last Monday. I am a type 2 diabetic. My carb intake was based on a percentage that the ADA diet has. My carb intake was 80-120 grams a day based in a 1500 daily calories intake. I am easily 20 pounds overweight.

Starting Monday my intake went down to 43 grams of carbs. Since then I have been running 20 grams daily with consistency. I do know my calorie intake is less than 1500 but I haven’t tracked it. I should.

My blood pressure systolic numbers have dropped 20 points in a very short time. My diastolic have dropped about 5 points. My fasting blood glucose was running in the mid 140s and into the 150s. I am now seeing FBS under 130 and this morning it was 116.

I haven’t lost much weight yet. I am down a pound. This may be a delayed action and I am not in a hurry to drop the 20 pounds. I’d rather do it slowly. My exercise is still about a hour each day with walking.

So far I am pleased. There is a good deal of discipline that has to come with starting something like this. Like anyone, when I go to the supermarket the bakery section smells wonderful but I walk by.

My meals this week.

Breakfast. Two eggs and two strips of bacon. Coffee black

Late morning. A low carb wrap with turkey, cheese and sometimes bacon

Early afternoon. Same as late morning.

Supper. Beef and broccoli stir fry with mushrooms and onions. I eat this by itself, no rice.

Fish with vegetables.

One hamburger patty by itself with vegetables.

On some days I will drink a protein smoothie with 4oz of cold black coffee, 2oz of 2% milk and a scoop of Jarrow chocolate whey protein. 8 grams of carbs. Tons of nutrients.

Good work... What I find is that sometimes you will hit what seems like a wall in weightloss but then it will drop off in the weeks later. What is happening here is your body is burning fat and replacing it with water weight temporarily and then the water gets excreted and the weight falls off. It looks like a stall but actually isn't as the fat is displaced for water weight temporarily. I will have weeks where it looks like I've lost 1-2lbs and then the following week loose 12lbs or more. The diet is about the same week to week in what I eat.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 03/10/19 07:03 PM

Interesting you mentioned the water point. I’ve noticed my water intake is up, which also coincides with urinary output, not a bad thing. I’m sure my body is adjusting to this new diet. I’ve noticed some finger tremors, not attributed to glucose levels. Also my energy levels are lower in the afternoon but my mind seems clearer.

It’s still too early to really make any judgements.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 03/10/19 07:16 PM

Interesting you mentioned the water point. I’ve noticed my water intake is up, which also coincides with urinary output, not a bad thing. I’m sure my body is adjusting to this new diet. I’ve noticed some finger tremors, not attributed to glucose levels. Also my energy levels are lower in the afternoon but my mind seems clearer.

When going to either a low carb or keto diet, the body does not need as much water since it is not having to process as many carbs, so it will dump the excess water, but is still important to drink a lot of water as well (not just in the beginning, but always).

One of the things I did not realize till it was pointed out to me, but I don't have near as much gas as I used to, like almost never.
I also don't poop as much (I can go a week sometimes).
Yes it is because I eat less, but I eat less because I am filled up faster and longer with a high fat diet vs a regular diet.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 03/10/19 07:44 PM

Keep me posted... I find it interesting how others find lower carb diets. (Even if it's not Keto).

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 03/10/19 08:13 PM

Keep me posted... I find it interesting how others find lower carb diets. (Even if it's not Keto).

Will do. I wasn’t planning on a Keto diet per se but a low carb one. I’m not trying to go high fat either. With a history of cardiovascular disease in the family I didn’t want to go there.

I’ve set up my iPhone to track more of the macros. I know there are loads of apps out there but many want a subscription these days and they like to track you. I use Apple’s Shortcuts app on the latest iOS. It works great and simple to use. Takes just a few minutes to set up. It’s one of the best things to come from them lately.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 03/11/19 02:15 AM

This is the most comprehensive all in one video explaining everything there is to know about Keto.

This guy was 280lbs and now he's trim/fit as you see in the video, as shown here: https://youtu.be/b2ZbDB8P_jM?t=180

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 03/11/19 12:32 PM

This is a good 3 part series on lower carb diets if you have the time...

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 03/15/19 06:16 PM

Another update one week further into this low carb diet.

My carb intake is between 18-25 grams a day.

Breakfast has been two hard boiled eggs and either two strips of bacon or two sausage links.

Lunch remains a low carb whole wheat wrap 10 inches in diameter with store brand sliced turkey ( thin sliced). I use 6 slices of this turkey, some sliced Monterey Jack cheese, mustard and a couple of Dill pickle sandwich slices. (Easier to fit in the wrap).

Dinner. Either the same wrap sandwich again or I will make a stir fry. This week was a variation of Kung Pow chicken. Kung Pow mix packet, chicken, mushrooms, broccoli, zucchini, and green onions. I can get several meals from one batch made.

I am down three pounds in two weeks. More importantly, my blood glucose is running 100-110 fasting which I am very happy with. I still take Metformin. My blood pressure is in the 120s to low 130s over the upper 80’s to low 90’s. This is a twenty point drop on average for the upper number and around 5 points for the lower.

Energy has improved. I still walk about two miles each morning. The weather is slowly improving so that will increase as will my outside activities as they do for most people.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 03/15/19 06:29 PM

If you keep doing that you will keep depleting your glycogen stores over the longer term and decrease fat attached to your organs and that is in your liver and it will just continue to improve from there.
My spouse had high blood sugar on the same medication and then switched diets and it slowly started to drop along with the weight as yours has until medication was no longer needed...

Good stuff. I love hearing low/lower carb work for others. thumbsup

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 03/15/19 09:50 PM

Alright guys I’m all in I have followed a low carb diet for years exercise 6 days a week 6’1 175 few years ago I was about 270. This will be interesting for me and will give it a go for at least 8 weeks and report progress.
Workouts will be interesting for first few days eating will be not much different just a few changes and give up my 1day beer day. I will not sacrifice my workouts they have to happen no matter what we will see how lean I can get this will be good test.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 03/16/19 02:48 AM

Alright guys I’m all in I have followed a low carb diet for years exercise 6 days a week 6’1 175 few years ago I was about 270. This will be interesting for me and will give it a go for at least 8 weeks and report progress.
Workouts will be interesting for first few days eating will be not much different just a few changes and give up my 1day beer day. I will not sacrifice my workouts they have to happen no matter what we will see how lean I can get this will be good test.

Cool, I look forward to the results! thumbsup

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 03/16/19 03:49 AM

Have you calculated your BMI? 6’1” and 175 pounds sounds pretty good.

Edit: I just ran the calculator. You are 23.1 which is normal weight.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 03/16/19 12:14 PM

Have you calculated your BMI? 6’1” and 175 pounds sounds pretty good.

Edit: I just ran the calculator. You are 23.1 which is normal weight.

Yes about right little lower BMI not always accurate I have bit more muscle mass than most at 46 yeas of age.
The Keto For me is to see if I can do It i have tremendous will power. Most interesting is to see if I can get my body to use dual fuel in time cut a bit fat to get leaner while keeping and or build muscle mass on Keto.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 03/16/19 02:14 PM

I lost 5lbs only this week (still good though), but I had a lot of corporate lunches where I had to eat with the group instead of fasting.
So while still great weight loss I'm kinda bummed it's not the 10lbs a week I had been used to. LOL

Posted By: alarmguy

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 03/16/19 02:20 PM

Diets = WASTE OF TIME

Its a convenient excuse to be lazy and not eat right, also a massive profit maker for people touting diets!

Come on already, if you want to lose weight, cut the BS and eat right. Its that easy.
Two meals a day of healthy food of the right portions, NO SNACKS and your weight will fall to the proper weight.

My god, cant be more simple but of course, people like to feel good about things and do nothing about it.
(think about that)

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 03/16/19 02:26 PM

alarmguy,

Some folks mechanisms in their brain that allows them to eat normal portions including carbs and feel satiated is broken all together or causes them to over eat more than they require and this is why Keto and low carb diets work for them. It doesn't help that a lot of what you buy at the grocery store today has unnecessary sugar added to it.

Eating plans like Keto and other low carb ways are balanced and healthy when done properly and with whole foods. I have blood work over the last year and a bit to prove it. Blood sugar decreased with out medication, cholesterol fixed itself, weight loss and my skin has never looked and felt better.

What isn't healthy is folks eating that "diet food" from a box on programs like Jenny Craig, or lying to themselves about Weight Watchers "low points" foods like reduce calorie ice cream sandwiches with a chemical list on the box a mile long. Then cheating when they are hungry all the time and can't stick to this fake food diet and then let the depression about the cheating make the problem worse until they give up and resolve to just be fat and/or unhealthy.

My mom was prime example of this and struggled for decades to keep her weight under control using this traditional nonsense, she even considered lap-band and gastric bypass and now she is almost at her weight loss goal thanks to Keto in just a year and she did it eating what she loves but just cutting out things like Pasta, Bread, Rice, Potatoes, Sugar and anything else considered a carbohydrate. She doesn't miss it either.

shrug

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 03/16/19 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by alarmguy
Diets = WASTE OF TIME

Its a convenient excuse to be lazy and not eat right, also a massive profit maker for people touting diets!

Come on already, if you want to lose weight, cut the BS and eat right. Its that easy.
Two meals a day of healthy food of the right portions, NO SNACKS and your weight will fall to the proper weight.

My god, cant be more simple but of course, people like to feel good about things and do nothing about it.
(think about that)

There is more to having a diet than just losing weight. For diabetics like myself, a low carb diet is essential. Many will go the easy route and use pills and injections so they can eat whatever they want. That is a bandaid on a huge problem and a expensive one at that.

The ones who successfully get their glucose numbers down are the ones who realize that a new life discipline has to be undertaken. Diet, exercise and other habits all contribute to this new discipline.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 03/16/19 05:07 PM

(think about that)

Given that "healthy food" likely means an absence of processed junk, alarmguy I think may well have just defined a (almost) keto diet + intermittent fasting very well. Just because a keto diet has a name doesn't make it a novelty.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 03/17/19 04:31 AM

Didn't realize Doctor Oz had a show on Keto...

Posted By: alarmguy

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 03/17/19 02:47 PM

UC50, Steve, Pimtac ..

Steve,
I think we pretty much agree, hope my words weren't taken too personal, we all know people who diet all the time, year in and year out.
If someone uses a vehicle as a diet to get there and it works for them that is great, we all know for most it doesnt but glad it did for Steves mom.

Pimtac,
Im kind of passionate about the subject because I know intimately the effects of heart disease, being overweight and diabetes.
My father suffered and died decades ago from all three above, my brother currently suffers from the same.
They always had this diet or that diet..but never stuck to any of them.

UC50 - I always tried to eat right, fruits, maintain my proper BMI weight for the most part throughout my life, but was no angel about it in my younger years about eating low fat foods all the time.

Fast forward to the last decade, without any type of "diet" or reading up any type of diet, I would say the same as you.
I do not eat until evening and 5 to 6 days a week, home cooked meal, with MANY portions of fruit and broccoli.
Fish 3 times a week, chicken/turkey 2 to 3 times a week and Saturday nights are anything goes at whatever restaurant my wife and I decide.
I NEVER eat fried food anymore, do not drink soda anymore.
Its water, with MAYBE one beer/glass of wine on any evening, once or twice a week.

I eat no less then 4 fruits a day and normally a serving of broccoli.
I have been blessed with blood test results that my own doctors say they wish they had as they as textbook perfect. I take no meds for anything.
With that said, I guess as I get older, I wonder what it is that will strike me down as something gets all of us sooner or later, I hope its later.
:o)

Lets face it, people know what to eat and they know what is good for them but everyday, everyday I see the lines, cars backup to the drive through windows of fast food restaurants.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 03/17/19 02:55 PM

UC50, Steve, Pimtac ..

Steve,
I think we pretty much agree, hope my words weren't taken too personal, we all know people who diet all the time, year in and year out.
If someone uses a vehicle as a diet to get there and it works for them that is great, we all know for most it doesnt but glad it did for Steves mom.

Pimtac,
Im kind of passionate about the subject because I know intimately the effects of heart disease, being overweight and diabetes.
My father suffered and died decades ago from all three above, my brother currently suffers from the same.
They always had this diet or that diet..

UC50 - I always tried to eat right, fruits, maintain my proper BMI weight for the most part throughout my life, but was no angel about it in my younger years about eating low fat foods all the time.

Fast forward to the last decade, without any type of "diet" or reading up any type of diet, I would say the same as you.
I do not eat until evening and 5 to 6 days a week, home cooked meal, with MANY portions of fruit and broccoli.
Fish 3 times a week, chicken/turkey 2 to 3 times a week and Saturday nights are anything goes at whatever restaurant my wife and I decide.

I eat no less then 4 fruits a day and normally a serving of broccoli.
I have been blessed with blood test results that my own doctors say they wish they had as they as textbook perfect. I take no meds for anything.
With that said, I guess as I get older, I wonder what it is that will strike me down as something gets all of us sooner or later, I hope its later.
:o)

Good points and it does show that diets and treatments have to be customized for each person. I call my diet a low carb diet because a keto diet includes fats. I am trying to keep those down a bit.

Exercise is also key. I saw a show on NHK this week that showed a particular squat exercise that is useful for lowering blood sugar. I’ve started to try this and I can say it’s hard. I’ll slowly work into it.
Posted By: Cardiobuck

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 03/17/19 09:03 PM

The only time the Keto diet has shown any long term efficacy is in the treatment of pediatric epilepsy that has been refractory to anti-epileptic medications. I know people like it because of the weight loss... There are even a few docs on board with it(and many more who oppose it).
You will lose weight with it of course. Any diet that puts you into ketosis will cause weight loss while you are in that state. This is a fools errand.
Do not confuse weight with health. Weight and health are bed-fellows but one does not prove the other.

~55% of your calories should come from carbs. Obviously if those carbs are made in a factory you will have problems. If however, you eat as you should and live in the produce section of the grocery store...you will find that you have both an optimal weight and the best health possible.

Fact: there have been ZERO cases of protein based malnutrition in North America in the last 50 years. (don't confuse starvation with protein starvation, plenty of people have the former) Protein is totally overrated. Keto sells though because you can eat so many of the "foods you love"...so many books to write and money to be made.

If the food you are looking to buy has a nutrition label you should look critically and suspiciously. Focus on eating the foods that do not have labels i.e., all of the things in the produce section. Our bodies are the same as they were 50,000 years ago. It's the modern factory produced food that is largely responsible for our endocrine dysfunction (diabetes), our CV illness (ischemic heart disease), and many of our cancers.

Why do you think the following is true:
I can take two groups of 100 people. Put the first group on a good keto diet and give them vitamin supplements in an effort to replace the what they do not get from living on fruits and vegetables. The second group just actually lives primarily on the fruits and vegetables. The outcome of my study, the first group has cancer and CV disease at roughly the same rate as the general population. The second group shows marked reductions in both. Already been studied plenty of times over.

My advice:
Try to not love food. If you need love get a lover, or a hobby, or pass the time telling me I'm an idiot. Food is a means to a healthy life, it should not be the thing you long for in itself.
Live in the produce section. If it has a nutrition label try to buy things with a few ingredients as possible.
Avoid milk and dairy. Milk is designed by a mother cow for the explicit purpose of turning a 200 lb baby calf into a full grown 2000 lb cow (turns out it does the same thing to humans). There is simply no reason for a human over the age of 1-2 to consume it. Drink water to hydrate. No weekend Arnold you don't need Gatorade because you just finished your second mile on the treadmill. If the workout is going into the second hour with a high ambient temp you MIGHT justify something beside water. I prefer my own concoction of apple/celery/spinach juice.
Protein intake only needs to be 10-15%, more is just a job for organs of secretion to breakdown and process.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 03/17/19 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Cardiobuck
The only time the Keto diet has shown any long term efficacy is in the treatment of pediatric epilepsy that has been refractory to anti-epileptic medications. I know people like it because of the weight loss... There are even a few docs on board with it(and many more who oppose it).
You will lose weight with it of course. Any diet that puts you into ketosis will cause weight loss while you are in that state. This is a fools errand.
Do not confuse weight with health. Weight and health are bed-fellows but one does not prove the other.

~55% of your calories should come from carbs. Obviously if those carbs are made in a factory you will have problems. If however, you eat as you should and live in the produce section of the grocery store...you will find that you have both an optimal weight and the best health possible.

Fact: there have been ZERO cases of protein based malnutrition in North America in the last 50 years. (don't confuse starvation with protein starvation, plenty of people have the former) Protein is totally overrated. Keto sells though because you can eat so many of the "foods you love"...so many books to write and money to be made.

If the food you are looking to buy has a nutrition label you should look critically and suspiciously. Focus on eating the foods that do not have labels i.e., all of the things in the produce section. Our bodies are the same as they were 50,000 years ago. It's the modern factory produced food that is largely responsible for our endocrine dysfunction (diabetes), our CV illness (ischemic heart disease), and many of our cancers.

Why do you think the following is true:
I can take two groups of 100 people. Put the first group on a good keto diet and give them vitamin supplements in an effort to replace the what they do not get from living on fruits and vegetables. The second group just actually lives primarily on the fruits and vegetables. The outcome of my study, the first group has cancer and CV disease at roughly the same rate as the general population. The second group shows marked reductions in both. Already been studied plenty of times over.

My advice:
Try to not love food. If you need love get a lover, or a hobby, or pass the time telling me I'm an idiot. Food is a means to a healthy life, it should not be the thing you long for in itself.
Live in the produce section. If it has a nutrition label try to buy things with a few ingredients as possible.
Avoid milk and dairy. Milk is designed by a mother cow for the explicit purpose of turning a 200 lb baby calf into a full grown 2000 lb cow (turns out it does the same thing to humans). There is simply no reason for a human over the age of 1-2 to consume it. Drink water to hydrate. No weekend Arnold you don't need Gatorade because you just finished your second mile on the treadmill. If the workout is going into the second hour with a high ambient temp you MIGHT justify something beside water. I prefer my own concoction of apple/celery/spinach juice.
Protein intake only needs to be 10-15%, more is just a job for organs of secretion to breakdown and process.

Ok so you have a opinion just like every other so call expert nothing more.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 03/18/19 01:39 AM

It's working for me when everything else failed. It's working for my mum when everything else failed. It worked for my cousin in a wheel chair when everything else failed.
It works for the lady in the video on Doctor Oz (above) that has been on it for 10 years and it works for Thomas DeLauer in the video quoted earlier who was 280lbs and now is a body builder.

I guess I'll take my chances that my diet doesn't need to come from 55% of carbs especially when I don't need medication to control blood sugar and loose weight as a side effect.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 03/22/19 03:08 AM

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 03/22/19 03:09 AM

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 03/24/19 05:00 AM

This blew my mind... 26:50 he talks about the metabolic rate is higher in those eating low carb high fat diets versus those on caloric restriction.

The science in the beginning can be a bit overwhelming but it comes together a litter further on and makes sense and then it's really mind opening so I wanted to include it in this thread.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 03/27/19 12:49 AM

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 03/27/19 01:11 AM

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 03/27/19 02:39 PM

I will be starting an extended fast on Monday. I'm just building up my electrolytes and vitamins/minerals and tapering down the meals in the meantime.
I feel best when I'm fasting and I've seen a lot of others have great success with extended fasts after intermittent fasting and Keto so it's the next logical step I want to try in my efforts to achieve goal weight.

I'm not having issues loosing weight with my intermittent fasting regiment but if I can get it off faster with no ill effects then why not.

I will be supplementing electrolytes with home brew added to my daily water, during this extended fast and will follow the advise of this doctor which can be found here:
https://idmprogram.com/fasting-a-history-part-i/ (Doctor Fung) in case anyone is interested.

Ideally I would like to get to a month but if I feel fine at that point I will push it further as others have done and keep going until I have reached my goal or I feel unwell at which point every fast should end,
I will be of course monitoring everything with my blood work at my doctors to be safe.

The record is 387 days following this same protocol and he was fine when he ended it.

I'll check back when I'm skinny. LOL
Posted By: JamesBond

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 03/29/19 03:09 AM

Sounds like the Snake Diet.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 03/29/19 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by JamesBond

My 155lbs lost and reversal of type-2 diabetes without medication says otherwise, but it's a free country yours and mine so you are welcome to believe what you want.

cheers

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 03/29/19 06:26 PM

Amazing how humanity survived on it for millennia before inventing the "fad diet" of grain-based agriculture! :^)
Posted By: JamesBond

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 03/30/19 07:33 PM

My 155lbs lost and reversal of type-2 diabetes without medication says otherwise, but it's a free country yours and mine so you are welcome to believe what you want.

cheers

I don’t mean that it’s a “snake oil” type diet, I meant that it sounds like the fasting and electrolytes that are a part of the “snake diet”. Google it. I’m all for it.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 04/01/19 01:55 PM

^^ Oh I see... My bad.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 04/01/19 01:56 PM

This is a long video but it's worth it. At 59 minutes he talks about a patient of his that was diabetic for 20 years and on 100 units of insulin and within 2 months was off his insulin completely. crzy

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 04/12/19 12:40 AM

Twitter CEO does intermittent fasting.

https://www.celebitchy.com/617033/t...ll_weekend_and_only_eats_one_meal_a_day/

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 04/15/19 07:35 PM

I'm down 181lbs as of this morning and

ONN: I ordered my new treadmill because my old Nordictrack that was used when I bought it gave up the ghost over the weekend. (Control Board went)
It's 20 years old it looks like by the date on it.

I was going to splurge and get the Sole F-85 but the F-80 was a better deal and I didn't need the extra features that the F-85 came with over the F-80.

Sole F-80
[Linked Image]

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 04/15/19 08:37 PM

Great job Steve.

your 181 would put me around my goal weight. smile
I am down around 75 lbs right now (not sure, I only weigh on the 1st of the month, was 308 lbs on April 1, figure I am around 300 now).
My goal is 215, maybe 200.
According to charts and stuff, I am supposed to be 185, but I do have more muscle mass that keeps me from thinking that is my ideal weight.
I hope to be there in about a year. If I actually exercised, I am sure I could do it in much less time.
Posted By: stockrex

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 04/17/19 12:29 PM

Good job guys, I am down 35 lbs,
My aim was not weight loss but cardio fitness, I want to be able to run 5k races or mini marathons.

The intermittent fasting and low calorie diet coupled with low carb diet is the key.
I do not feel hungry any more. First few days were painful.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 04/17/19 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by stockrex
My aim was not weight loss but cardio fitness, I want to be able to run 5k races or mini marathons.

The intermittent fasting and low calorie diet coupled with low carb diet is the key.

You’ve also retrained your body’s insulin response which helps ward off type 2 diabetes. Nice.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 04/17/19 02:03 PM

Some compelling before & after photos:

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/dad-shreds-92-pounds-kids

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 04/17/19 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Reddy45

You’ve also retrained your body’s insulin response which helps ward off type 2 diabetes. Nice.

+1 thumbsup Good job.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 04/17/19 04:33 PM

I'm headed there myself... I still have a stomach on me, but it has shrunk considerably with the 180lbs I've lost so far. I can now sit in booth seats at restaurants where I was too big before for most of them.

I have a before picture taken and will take an after once I'm done...

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 04/17/19 08:17 PM

StevieC: thanks for your updates. I have been on this one week 8 days so far. Having no issues so far. Never knew how easy it was to not indulge in surmgar and carb laden foods. What I feel helps me is spinach and kale salad daily and protein rich foods like Turkey and smoked/marinades chicken smile

I am down already 7lbs~ and feel really good.
Posted By: RDY4WAR

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 04/17/19 08:48 PM

StevieC, congrats on the huge weight loss. That's an awesome accomplishment. A lot of people have had success with that diet, but everybody seems to be different.

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and tried the keto diet. It didn't seem to work well for me at all. I was eating around 70% fat, 25% protein, and 5% (or less) carbs keeping it under 2000 calories a day. The strips showed I was in ketosis. The downsides were that it actually made my blood glucose increase. When I was diagnosed, my BG was 108 and A1C was 7.2. I tried the standard American diet for a while with just lower calories and ditched the sugary drinks. (I used to drink 5-6 can cokes a day) I started feeling better, and my BG dropped to a consistent fasting level of 90-95. I wanted to see what the keto diet was all about so I finished up my meal plan and then switched to all keto meals. My sister does keto so I already had an example of what to eat. I tried it for 3 weeks and during that time, my fasting BG rose to 110-115 range. I felt lethargic and bloated. My weight loss slowed down even though I'd reduced the total calorie intake to around 1800.

Right at the 3 week mark, I had an ultrasound done on my liver and gall bladder which revealed that my liver was echogenic and had polyps in the gall bladder. (not related to the keto diet as it was certainly that way long before) My doctor advised me to ditch the keto diet immediately as it would exacerbate that issue and could possibly explain why it made me feel so bad. I couldn't eat high carb, couldn't eat high fat, so I had no choice but to go with high protein. Now my diet is about 60% protein, 20% fat, and 20% carbs. I eat a lot of chicken, turkey, and fish. I get my carbs from veggies and the occasional whole wheat (high fiber) breads and wraps. The majority of my fat intake comes from dairy. I've never felt better than I do now, and the weight loss has taken off again. I can exercise more vigorously and recover quicker/easier. My BG is back to hanging around 90 again. My blood pressure is down, my cholesterol is down, and I overall just feel better.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 04/17/19 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
StevieC, congrats on the huge weight loss. That's an awesome accomplishment. A lot of people have had success with that diet, but everybody seems to be different.

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and tried the keto diet. It didn't seem to work well for me at all. I was eating around 70% fat, 25% protein, and 5% (or less) carbs keeping it under 2000 calories a day. The strips showed I was in ketosis. The downsides were that it actually made my blood glucose increase. When I was diagnosed, my BG was 108 and A1C was 7.2. I tried the standard American diet for a while with just lower calories and ditched the sugary drinks. (I used to drink 5-6 can cokes a day) I started feeling better, and my BG dropped to a consistent fasting level of 90-95. I wanted to see what the keto diet was all about so I finished up my meal plan and then switched to all keto meals. My sister does keto so I already had an example of what to eat. I tried it for 3 weeks and during that time, my fasting BG rose to 110-115 range. I felt lethargic and bloated. My weight loss slowed down even though I'd reduced the total calorie intake to around 1800.

Right at the 3 week mark, I had an ultrasound done on my liver and gall bladder which revealed that my liver was echogenic and had polyps in the gall bladder. (not related to the keto diet as it was certainly that way long before) My doctor advised me to ditch the keto diet immediately as it would exacerbate that issue and could possibly explain why it made me feel so bad. I couldn't eat high carb, couldn't eat high fat, so I had no choice but to go with high protein. Now my diet is about 60% protein, 20% fat, and 20% carbs. I eat a lot of chicken, turkey, and fish. I get my carbs from veggies and the occasional whole wheat (high fiber) breads and wraps. The majority of my fat intake comes from dairy. I've never felt better than I do now, and the weight loss has taken off again. I can exercise more vigorously and recover quicker/easier. My BG is back to hanging around 90 again. My blood pressure is down, my cholesterol is down, and I overall just feel better.

Congratulations sir. I also eat a LOT of fish, Turkey and chicken

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 04/18/19 03:19 AM

Type 2 diabetics and those looking to loose weight need to watch this. It's short but it really sums it up...

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 05/04/19 04:58 AM

This was a real eye opener... LDL what you don't know. wink (13:29 - Mind Blown)

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 05/04/19 05:00 AM

Also this one after you watch the one above...

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 05/04/19 05:16 AM

Down 195lbs. Took a break from Keto for the day as it was our anniversary yesterday so I splurged and had dessert when we went for dinner. Fasted today and did my treadmill to push me back into ketosis. I was back in by 9pm tonight as per my Ketone Meter.

Feeling great and the weight-loss continues.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 05/07/19 04:21 PM

Thought I would post a copy of my blood work for historical purposes in this thread. Just went for another A1C blood test this morning to check to make sure blood sugar is still where it should be. I'm confident it is because my home monitoring unit continually shows that it's lower than 5.

Attached picture Blood_Work.png

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 05/07/19 06:01 PM

That's great. Do you allow yourself to indulge from time to time? On Easter, I let myself enjoy a hot dog and some potato salad, then felt terrible afterwards. Bloated kind of terrible.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 05/07/19 08:08 PM

Congrats brother! that is awesome

How the heck are you measuring your A1C at home?

When you say fasting, how long are you fasting, could you give us an overview pls.

I have been emotionally drained last few weeks, I need to get back on track on my cardio.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 05/07/19 11:08 PM

That's great. Do you allow yourself to indulge from time to time? On Easter, I let myself enjoy a hot dog and some potato salad, then felt terrible afterwards. Bloated kind of terrible.

I went off it at Christmas for a week and I went off it last week for our anniversary for one day. Then fast for 1 or a couple of days to force back into Ketosis and back on it.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 05/07/19 11:12 PM

Congrats brother! that is awesome

How the heck are you measuring your A1C at home?

When you say fasting, how long are you fasting, could you give us an overview pls.

I have been emotionally drained last few weeks, I need to get back on track on my cardio.

I measure using a glucose monitor at home. Those above are from the lab, I can get my results online within 24 hours of the test. From what I understand there is an A1C test-kit for home testing available at Pharmacies in the US available for like $30. You can see it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SIbeZBTBEY

I typically do OMAD = One Meal a day so I eat dinner within a 2 hour window and fast the other 22 hours a day. Sometimes I'll throw in an extended fast of a week and eat on the weekend. I just got finished doing a month long fast not that long ago. When you are "fat adapted" and severely low carb for an extended period your body switches over to body fat reserves quite easily in the absence of food and hunger is almost non-existent. It's hard to fathom on typical carb-rich diets because of how hungry you feel on them.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 05/07/19 11:29 PM

They just posted my results online from today's A1C test. Slight up-tick from 4.7 but still considered excellent and non-diabetic.

[Linked Image]

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 05/10/19 12:38 AM

This is good for our American friends in the group but good information in general for all... smile

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 05/10/19 01:25 AM

This guy has started Fasting December 11, 2018 and has only been consuming water with electrolyte supplementation since then until now.
(He has had regular check in with his doctor and blood work performed during his extended fast.)

He's now on DAY 128 of his fast and has lost a total of 195lbs in that time (1.3lbs / day average)

I have followed him since he has started, and while I have fasted for extended periods of time I would love to try this next to accelerate my weight loss to get rid of the rest of this weight. I felt great after my 30 day fast and felt I could go longer but was a bit anxious about it so I decided not to. (Personal head issue)

You can see all of his videos on his channel and he weighs in on camera with every video.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 05/13/19 05:00 PM

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 05/13/19 07:17 PM

I recently got off this diet. My energy level sank to low levels and I suffered from brain fog. So now my carb intake is back to under 100 grams a day vs the 20-25 grams I was on. My energy is getting back to normal and my blood glucose is still stable. I’m awaiting my A1c results from the lab.

It just reinforces the idea that any diet is not for everyone. There will be exceptions.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 05/13/19 09:35 PM

I recently got off this diet. My energy level sank to low levels and I suffered from brain fog. So now my carb intake is back to under 100 grams a day vs the 20-25 grams I was on. My energy is getting back to normal and my blood glucose is still stable. I’m awaiting my A1c results from the lab.

It just reinforces the idea that any diet is not for everyone. There will be exceptions.

I encountered this at first and then started taking a B-100 complex once a week and the problem went away for me. I figured that it was the lack of foods containing B-Vitamins like breads, pasta, rice etc.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 05/13/19 10:56 PM

Pim, If you are on Diabetic meds, you need to watch the med dose and carb intake.

For me, I can't make any drastic changes in how I eat and what I eat, I slowly transitioned to very little carbs, I did feel weak a few days.

Steve, good point about vitamins, the idea is to have a small area under the total insulin curve, this can be achieved by eating very little at a time and eating proteins and fats with very litle carbs.
I am a rice addict, and I still eat like 1 teaspoon of rice, I eat it slowly with some fish, savor every bite.

I have to condition myself for the fast, I am no where near that right now.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 05/13/19 11:47 PM

Pim, If you are on Diabetic meds, you need to watch the med dose and carb intake.

For me, I can't make any drastic changes in how I eat and what I eat, I slowly transitioned to very little carbs, I did feel weak a few days.

Steve, good point about vitamins, the idea is to have a small area under the total insulin curve, this can be achieved by eating very little at a time and eating proteins and fats with very litle carbs.
I am a rice addict, and I still eat like 1 teaspoon of rice, I eat it slowly with some fish, savor every bite.

I watch my sugars each morning by testing my fasting blood glucose. I also take my blood pressure each morning which is slightly above normal. I take medication for both.

I do agree with the idea of low carb intake. I have to choose the carbs I decide to take in. For example, a turkey and cheese sandwich on rye bread is better than on white bread. Keeping things simple works better for me. Also, combining carbs with protein rather than eating a carb heavy meal.

Of course exercise has to be included. I walk two miles each morning. Now that the weather is improving I can add more activity as I can.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 05/14/19 03:46 AM

I agree with you this diet is not for everyone. Nothing takes place of variety, balance, and sensible diet.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 05/14/19 03:58 AM

I watch my sugars each morning by testing my fasting blood glucose. I also take my blood pressure each morning which is slightly above normal. I take medication for both.

I do agree with the idea of low carb intake. I have to choose the carbs I decide to take in. For example, a turkey and cheese sandwich on rye bread is better than on white bread. Keeping things simple works better for me. Also, combining carbs with protein rather than eating a carb heavy meal.

Of course exercise has to be included. I walk two miles each morning. Now that the weather is improving I can add more activity as I can.

This sounds more like what I do. For dinner tonight, my wife made meatballs, green beans, and roasted potatoes. About once a week, we'll have pasta using the Barilla brand high fiber bowtie and spaghetti pasta. My wife made her own sweet and sour sauce without using sugar that tastes pretty darn good. We'll make sweet and sour chicken with brown rice tossed with veggies.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 05/14/19 04:01 AM

I agree with you this diet is not for everyone. Nothing takes place of variety, balance, and sensible diet.

Dave for those with proper body weight if they can keep control with sensible diet fine. Some of us are wired differently and have to cut carbs to keep the weight away. Especially those of us that have Type-2 Diabetes where insulin / glucose doesn't work properly.

Have a watch of this: https://youtu.be/q8BGYhreaco

I'm not suggesting everyone needs to do Keto which is extremely low carb but carbs control is the answer it's just the amount of carbs allowed that would be different for each person depending on their needs. My spouse can get away with more carbs than me. I however am very sensitive and aim for 0 but allow 20g a day at the upper limit on the days I eat.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 05/14/19 04:28 PM

I have been doing intermittent fasting for a couple of years now and it is very effective in terms of mastering my eating schedule and reinforced the general understanding that food is simply my fuel. I don't think about food hardly at all during the course of a day and could easily go without eating for 24 hours or more. I drink only water...but can't go more than 8 hours without that. I don't count calories, no macros, none of that stuff.

For food consumption, I eat a handful of peanuts at 10 am, for lunch a bag full (two fists put together amount) of vegetables (celery, carrots, grape tomatoes, red/green/yellow peppers, broccoli), 2:30 snack is an apple or an orange, prior to 6pm for dinner I will eat anything from spaghetti to pulled pork to potatoes and chicken...whatever...I eat meat pretty regular but not in large quantities. The point is for the most part, everything I eat is either raw or cooked without being processed too much. I don't eat many bread products and as you may be able to tell, not much sugar either so no junk food.

This has done a couple of things to my psyche and the way I view food. When its time to eat at dinner, I have a window to consume and so quite naturally and subconsciously my choices are those foods which are high in nutrients. When I see a red/yellow/green pepper my body and mind react to it the same way it used to react to a banana split. For me, that is a good place to be and as I approach half a century in age I feel better and have more muscle mass than I did 25 years ago.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 05/15/19 03:21 AM

Dave for those with proper body weight if they can keep control with sensible diet fine. Some of us are wired differently and have to cut carbs to keep the weight away. Especially those of us that have Type-2 Diabetes where insulin / glucose doesn't work properly.

Have a watch of this: https://youtu.be/q8BGYhreaco

I'm not suggesting everyone needs to do Keto which is extremely low carb but carbs control is the answer it's just the amount of carbs allowed that would be different for each person depending on their needs. My spouse can get away with more carbs than me. I however am very sensitive and aim for 0 but allow 20g a day at the upper limit on the days I eat.

Sorry Bud from what you have posted your in a unique situation and this diet is working for you but if you eat 2,400 calories and you burn 2,600 everyday you will lose weight. I don't know long it took you to your peak weight I'm guessing decades and with your health issues you had to lose weight fast. Keto helped you lose this weight and good for you.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 05/15/19 04:47 PM

I agree to disagree. cheers
Posted By: SHOZ

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 05/15/19 06:04 PM

I started my version of the keto diet around mid March. I was 250 lbs and high blood sugar of 215 after a 24 hour fast and total intestinal cleansing. frown My Dr had been complaining about my A1c which was slowly coming down but still high at 6.6 last time in January. I won't see him for another month or so but he should be quite surprised.

Got a blood sugar reader and it is slowly coming down and I now averaging 125 or so over a week, 130 over a month. And I've lost 25 lbs with the goal of another 25 lbs, 226 lbs this morning. A total of 100 lbs if I can get down to 200. I'm 6'1" and big bones....

But anyway I don't keep track of quantity weight wise what I eat but do on when, what and some sort of amount. Try to stay away from anything with more than 2% per serving of carbs. All added sugar products are out except for catsup and some other condiments. Gave a lot of food away.

Been eating once a day for the meal around 4-5 pm. Snack at noon of peanuts or cheese sometimes. My problem is eating before bed. Hard to stop but it keeps my BS high and it is usually highest in the morning when I get up. 140 yesterday and 133 today at 6 am.

Been doing a lot of outside car and yard work since it's warmed up and that helps a lot. Have a exercise bike for rainy days I put about 15 minutes on or until I get winded.I still need to stop eating after my main meal.

Quite a lifestyle change and shock to realize why, exactly what and how much I was eating as 'normal'.

Taking supplements too. Cinnamon, fenugreek, berberine. Use to drink 3 gallons of milk a week now it's just water and coffee. I put a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in my water bottle of 750mL and go through 4 to 6 a day.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 05/15/19 06:09 PM

Sorry Bud from what you have posted your in a unique situation and this diet is working for you but if you eat 2,400 calories and you burn 2,600 everyday you will lose weight. I don't know long it took you to your peak weight I'm guessing decades and with your health issues you had to lose weight fast. Keto helped you lose this weight and good for you.

One of the points of ketosis is training the body to burn fat instead of glycogen during daily activity or rest. That enables one to burn a LOT more fat than the conventional "calories in/ calories out" maxim.

As well, since one is no longer subject to the ebb and flow of glycogen availability it is much easier to eat less, which *underscores* the "calories in/ calories out" maxim.

It is not a unique situation: it is basic physiology; and one that greatly mitigates the **extremely unnatural** (and entirely unbalanced for us) carbohydrate-rich, processed diet invented by us by way of agriculture.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 05/16/19 05:05 PM

Anyone tried water fasting for a week or more....it is supposed to reboot your system and have great results.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 05/16/19 05:56 PM

One of the points of ketosis is training the body to burn fat instead of glycogen during daily activity or rest. That enables one to burn a LOT more fat than the conventional "calories in/ calories out" maxim.

As well, since one is no longer subject to the ebb and flow of glycogen availability it is much easier to eat less, which *underscores* the "calories in/ calories out" maxim.

It is not a unique situation: it is basic physiology; and one that greatly mitigates the **extremely unnatural** (and entirely unbalanced for us) carbohydrate-rich, processed diet invented by us by way of agriculture.

Yeah sorry it's does not work that way it's really calories in calories out keto for most people who don't have the willpower not to restrict their calories intake to lose weight it's those pesky carbs who keep making people put food into their hands and put it into their mouth.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 05/17/19 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by Smokescreen
Anyone tried water fasting for a week or more....it is supposed to reboot your system and have great results.

I've gone as long as a month.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 05/17/19 02:01 AM

Another video that was interesting to add to the thread. My bad cholesterol went down but my spouses rose. We did a calcium score on both of us and both were low. So we aren't concerned.

The following video explains why it's ok. (30 year Cardiologist)

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 05/17/19 01:46 PM

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 05/18/19 12:49 AM

Yeah sorry it's does not work that way it's really calories in calories out keto for most people who don't have the willpower not to restrict their calories intake to lose weight it's those pesky carbs who keep making people put food into their hands and put it into their mouth.

That is precisely how it works; THAT'S WHAT THE WORD "KETOSIS" MEANS.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ketosis

This is not rocket surgery, man.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 05/18/19 04:35 AM

That is precisely how it works; THAT'S WHAT THE WORD "KETOSIS" MEANS.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ketosis

This is not rocket surgery, man.

And after a year the weight loss, BP, cholesterol, BMI, glucose, and insulin levels keto vs low fat diets are nearly identical. So it's not rocket science but keto unless you have a neurological disorder is not a miracle diet nor is it anymore effective.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-weight/diet-reviews/ketogenic-diet/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5959976/

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 05/18/19 01:24 PM

I haven't really stayed on any low fat or calorie reduced diet before. I was up to 300 lbs while working. Lost 50 lbs when I quit drinking beer 3 years ago. But then stalled at around 250 lbs. I finally had to do something about my BS levels as they were over 200 when fasting.

So keto is working great. Don't follow it to a tee but I do limit my foods to those that have less than 3% carbs per serving and generally lower than that. Loosing about 1/4 to 1/2 lb a day on average.

But I would much rather eat peanuts, meat and cheese vs low calorie foods. Much more satisfying too hunger wise.

I spend half the money I use to at the grocery store and eat better foods. More organic and higher quality. Making a beef stew/soup out of New York strip today. smile

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 05/21/19 01:23 PM

Dave,

Yet there are scores of people including myself that have tried traditional diets and exercise and failed but have been wildly successful on Keto. Further what other diet do you know that can take you off Type-2 diabetes medication in just 1 week? My spouse was on medication for 10 years and was approaching the need for insulin and is now medication free. shrug

Sorry but conventional medicine has this wrong. Spend some time watching the videos on the YouTube channel: Low Carb Down Under. A lot of doctors there presenting studies with remarkable results.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 05/21/19 06:42 PM

Dave further to my last post... Look at 19 minutes in this video it shows people followed that ate both a LCHF diet without caloric restriction and a traditional caloric restricted diet LFD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_qF5bPtvBo

Attached picture LCHF LFD.png

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 07/09/19 06:35 PM

Went to the Dr for the first time since the keto dieting. And he was quite happy. A1c was at the high end of normal at 5.4. I've lost 40 lbs since April 1st. Kind of fell off the wagon the last couple weeks with family dinners and graduation parties. But my weight did not gain. Held steady at 212 and today I'm 208.

Dr asked me when I was going to stop loosing weight. Ideal weight for my height is around 145-190. I was 185 in High School.

But the blood test came back great. Only thing out of line was cholesterol a bit over 200 and the LDLs a bit higher too. Triglycerides were at 76 which is an all time low for me. They have been over 200 for decades, every time I've tested in the past.

My blood sugar is pretty stable but too high for me lately in the 130s. Too many peanuts as of late. But the container is almost gone...... Above 130 and I start getting tingling feets.
Posted By: Fawteen

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 07/10/19 03:19 AM

The best advice is not to get obese in the first place.

But for people who can't resist shoving food into their piehole, it's a simple matter of a common sense lifestyle. Fad diets are for idiots who don't know any better. Make a lifestyle change and stop shoveling so much food into your mouth. Get out and burn some calories through exercise. Leave the fad diets to those who are too lazy to actually work to drop the pounds.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 07/10/19 03:37 AM

I've been on something that's a cross between the carnivore diet and keto diet. I've been averaging about 45% protein, 50% fat, and 5% carbs. In March, my A1C was 8.2 and fasting glucose was 108. At the first of June, my A1C was 5.0 and fasting glucose was 92. I'm down 42 lbs and feeling great. In March, I could barely do 5 pushups. Now I'm doing 4 sets of 40 every day.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 07/10/19 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Fawteen

But for people who can't resist shoving food into their piehole, it's a simple matter of a common sense lifestyle. Fad diets are for idiots who don't know any better. Make a lifestyle change and stop shoveling so much food into your mouth. Get out and burn some calories through exercise. Leave the fad diets to those who are too lazy to actually work to drop the pounds.

Some people gain weight due to a chronic disease like diabetes or a thyroid condition.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 07/10/19 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Fawteen

Some people gain weight due to a chronic disease like diabetes or a thyroid condition.

In my case, it was chronic PTSD/anxiety, and I found comfort in food.
Posted By: Ws6

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 07/10/19 04:54 AM

IF didn't really do it for me.
KETO dropped me by about 5% body fat in 6 weeks, but I feel it is very unhealthy long-term, and now simply stick to a well-rounded sensible diet low in processed foods.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 07/10/19 12:38 PM

Here is the "healthy" food pyramid and the Keto pyramid. Quite different. It's like the food/medical/government have been pushing bad eating habits. 80% of the food in a grocery store are off limits to the Keto diet.

[Linked Image]

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 07/10/19 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by SHOZ
Here is the "healthy" food pyramid and the Keto pyramid. Quite different. It's like the food/medical/government have been pushing bad eating habits. 80% of the food in a grocery store are off limits to the Keto diet.

[Linked Image]

The government's old pyramid isn't founded in science. One nutritionist (I don't think he was even a nutritionist) decades ago said "fat makes people fat" (see: the McGovern report) and despite several studies that disproved that theory, the government took it and ran with it. Ever since, obesity has skyrocketed and diabetes is rampant. Our bodies were never designed to live on a diet of wheat and corn.

Check out a documentary on Netflix called The Magic Pill. It goes very indepth into this.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 07/10/19 09:06 PM

This thread is turning into an echo chamber for those who keep posting in it. Any diet will work in the short term if you follow it, but this particular one has a bunch of negatives too. Like heart disease, constipation, potential liver and kidney problems, etc.

https://www.endocrineweb.com/news/d...d-bad-being-ketosis-good-way-lose-weight

https://www.health.com/weight-loss/keto-diet-side-effects

https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/type-1-diabetes-guide/what-is-ketosis#1

https://www.everydayhealth.com/ketogenic-diet/diet/keto-diet-dangers-you-need-know/

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 07/11/19 12:43 AM

Well if you don't want to read of others experience, don't....

I've had weight problems for years and tried many times to drop weight. I did lose 50 lbs when I quit drinking beer a few years ago and then got stuck.

But what was really eye opening was my high blood sugar level and that is way I got on Keto and use it to control it without medication.

Yes limiting calories in is a goal. But by far Keto is the best way to remove fat and a lot of it in a short time. It will be interesting to see where I level out at weight wise using a blood sugar average as a goal.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 07/11/19 01:25 AM

It's one thing to read about other people's experience, another if they're spreading false information.

Cocaine was also once used for babies, mother's loved it. You don't see it used for that purpose anymore.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/when-opium-was-for-newborns-and-bayer-sold-heroin-5896669

Does the ends justify the means? So if Keto works for you, but who cares if you get cardiovascular disease later?

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 07/11/19 01:28 AM

Keto does not mean cardiovascular disease. Some speculate it will help remove plaque built up with long term use.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 07/11/19 04:06 AM

Keto does not mean cardiovascular disease. Some speculate it will help remove plaque built up with long term use.

Ironically, the founder of Atkins died of a cardiac issue, and an autopsy was refused. n= 1 there, but still.

If you think slamming 90g of animal and other fat per day is a good idea...

A balanced approach is usually the best approach when it comes to operating machinery, and the human body qualifies.

This study only reached out to 24 weeks. Something I consider VERY SHORT TERM, but did show Keto was positive to that point:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716748/

My impression is that past the weight loss phase, Keto is a negative. Until ideal or optimal body composition is attained, I think the positives outweigh the negatives. AFter that...moderation.

Further reading: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5452247/

My method has basically been "Flip the food pyramid and insert the "fats" into the mid-section of it".

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 07/11/19 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Ws6

Ironically, the founder of Atkins died of a cardiac issue, and an autopsy was refused. n= 1 there, but still.

A balanced approach is usually the best approach when it comes to operating machinery, and the human body qualifies.

This study only reached out to 24 weeks. Something I consider VERY SHORT TERM, but did show Keto was positive to that point:

My impression is that past the weight loss phase, Keto is a negative. Until ideal or optimal body composition is attained, I think the positives outweigh the negatives. AFter that...moderation.

My method has basically been "Flip the food pyramid and insert the "fats" into the mid-section of it".

So you don't think the keto diet is a good way to reduce weight and control insulin? I was on a government approved low fat high carb diet my whole life. Ended up obese and very high blood sugar levels.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 07/11/19 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Ws6

So you don't think the keto diet is a good way to reduce weight and control insulin? I was on a government approved low fat high carb diet my whole life. Ended up obese and very high blood sugar levels.

I do not think it is a healthy long-term lifestyle. To get yourself in shape? it works very well. I used it to cut 5% body fat in 6 weeks while maintaining my lifts and muscle mass. You ate an extreme diet, and now you're going to another extreme diet...moderation is key, IMO.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 07/11/19 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Ws6

I do not think it is a healthy long-term lifestyle. To get yourself in shape? it works very well. I used it to cut 5% body fat in 6 weeks while maintaining my lifts and muscle mass. You ate an extreme diet, and now you're going to another extreme diet...moderation is key, IMO.

And that is exactly what I am using it for. My weight loss low carb diet was set at 30 grams of carbs a day. I did not follow this exactly. I did not weigh my food at all. I did quit using anything with more than 2% carb (based on a 300 gram a day) per serving. If my blood sugar is high before a meal (>130) I don't eat.

Obviously if you are using ketosis to loose body fat content, avoid fats is still a good idea.

And yes realizing that the food ingested to just maintain 'normal' weight and bodily function, and limiting it to those amounts is quite the mental challenge.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 07/11/19 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Ws6

And that is exactly what I am using it for. My weight loss low carb diet was set at 30 grams of carbs a day. I did not follow this exactly. I did not weigh my food at all. I did quit using anything with more than 2% carb (based on a 300 gram a day) per serving. If my blood sugar is high before a meal (>130) I don't eat.

Obviously if you are using ketosis to loose body fat content, avoid fats is still a good idea.

And yes realizing that the food ingested to just maintain 'normal' weight and bodily function, and limiting it to those amounts is quite the mental challenge.

My Keto diet consisted of about 90g of fat and 200g of protein per day. Carbs were kept under 5g. If you're going to move weight, you need fat for fuel. I went from around 200# to 193# and from 17% to 12% body fat while gaining about 2.8# lean body mass, and maintaining my lifts. 6 weeks. It was a good quick cut without muscle loss.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 07/11/19 02:00 PM

You have to watch the fats that you eat. Keep down saturated and trans fats. Have more unsaturated fats. Avocados, nuts, eggs, and fish are my staples for healthy fat sources. I eat a lot of chicken, turkey, and beef as well. I usually trim the fat off, but make it back up with a light coating of olive oil for cooking and flavor.

Lunch for today is cubed chicken mixed with cuts of onion and bell pepper, seared in a pan, and seasoned with garlic powder and black pepper. Simple, cheap, and healthy.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 07/11/19 02:14 PM

You have to watch the fats that you eat. Keep down saturated and trans fats. Have more unsaturated fats. Avocados, nuts, eggs, and fish are my staples for healthy fat sources. I eat a lot of chicken, turkey, and beef as well. I usually trim the fat off, but make it back up with a light coating of olive oil for cooking and flavor.

Lunch for today is cubed chicken mixed with cuts of onion and bell pepper, seared in a pan, and seasoned with garlic powder and black pepper. Simple, cheap, and healthy.

How many calories per day are you hitting?

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 07/11/19 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Ws6

1800-2000 calories over 4-5 small meals.

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 07/11/19 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Ws6

1800-2000 calories over 4-5 small meals.

I shot for around 1600/day 2 days, and the 3rd day about 900 a day, and then a junk-food re-feed for 4 hours at the end of the third day. Kept me from killing my muscle mass and dropping lifts.
Posted By: thescreensavers

Re: Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting - 07/11/19 04:08 PM

But the blood test came back great. Only thing out of line was cholesterol a bit over 200 and the LDLs a bit higher too. Triglycerides were at 76 which is an all time low for me. They have been over 200 for decades, every time I've tested in the past.

You can look into the NMR Lipoprofile which will show you what your LDL is made up of. Large is healty, small is the bad one. The general blood tests just show "Total"

also if you are loosing weight lipid profile tests may not be totally true, once you get to your goal weight and keep it there for a while then the lipid profile tests may be more indicative of your health.
© 2019 Bob Is The Oil Guy