Fix or Replace 9yr old Front Loader?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We bought a house 2 years ago, came with a matching washer and dryer set made by Samsung with pedestals.

The washer started leaking recently, I did the basic stuff as seen on forums and youtube, checking clogs, etc. It turns out, the tub is cracked around the front rim from about 10 o'clock clockwise all the way down to 6 o'clock. It doesn't look too difficult to replace, just a lot of fasteners. The part itself will cost about $170. I believe it to be some kind of Nylon, I originally thought it was a small crack and I might be able to fix it with some kind of adhesive, but it seems too extensive.

Bottom of crack

New, uncracked front half of tub

My options:
Buy a new Samsung washer that can reuse the pedestal.
Buy a different washer that might be able to reuse the pedestal, go without a pedestal, or buy a new pedestal (never been a huge Samsung fan) (side note, why are pedestals so expensive?!).
Fix the current washer, and hope that the washer lasts long enough to make it worth it (who knows how soon something else may break).

We don't need the pedestals, but it's nice not needing to bend down as far to move the laundry. If we do buy a new washer, I'd consider getting something better quality, that may not have all the fancy features of the Samsung, like a Speed Queen, although I hear that very recently, the SQ machines aren't being built as sturdily. We would likely stick with a front loader though, my wife is short and has trouble getting into the bottom of a top loader.

What would you guys do? Thanks for any thoughts or any washer suggestions!

The good news is that if you can replace just the front of the tub, it's a fairly straightforward job. Take a careful look online and see if your model is prone to other major issues. Bearing or seal failures, spider failures, circuit board failures, etc.

I just replaced my washer due to a simple "spider" failure. Whirlpool did not sell the part separately and the cost for the assy was 2/3 that of a new and better machine. I was tempted to simply make a new one. But in the end, my time has value.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I wouldn't put $170 into a 9 year old machine.

Thats the answer. Numerous other parts are on the way out, and will need replaced as well. Dont throw good money after bad.

Jeez, and our folks expected 25 years min from washer or dryer ... I have been replacing parts on our stuff as long as I can get the parts. New machine is WAY more money. It's your coin, but if you can do it, do it
smile.gif

Last edited:
I would fix. I am trying to fix more things these days than fill up landfills or scrap yards.

The holes to mount washing machine must line up perfectly for a GE pedestal to work with a GE washer.

Having the machine higher up on pedestal means it has to be perfectly leveled.

My Whirlpool elite suffered the same problem but on the Whirlpool. There were plastic shavings all in the wash. The tub and bearings are integral and the part was over $400. We bought a new Samsung washer for $650.

I fixed my dishwasher with a $50 part from Amazon. Local places wanted over $100 for the part. Shop around for the part.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
We bought a house 2 years ago, came with a matching washer and dryer set made by Samsung with pedestals.

The washer started leaking recently, I did the basic stuff as seen on forums and youtube, checking clogs, etc. It turns out, the tub is cracked around the front rim from about 10 o'clock clockwise all the way down to 6 o'clock. It doesn't look too difficult to replace, just a lot of fasteners. The part itself will cost about $170. I believe it to be some kind of Nylon, I originally thought it was a small crack and I might be able to fix it with some kind of adhesive, but it seems too extensive.

Bottom of crack

New, uncracked front half of tub

My options:
Buy a new Samsung washer that can reuse the pedestal.
Buy a different washer that might be able to reuse the pedestal, go without a pedestal, or buy a new pedestal (never been a huge Samsung fan) (side note, why are pedestals so expensive?!).
Fix the current washer, and hope that the washer lasts long enough to make it worth it (who knows how soon something else may break).

We don't need the pedestals, but it's nice not needing to bend down as far to move the laundry. If we do buy a new washer, I'd consider getting something better quality, that may not have all the fancy features of the Samsung, like a Speed Queen, although I hear that very recently, the SQ machines aren't being built as sturdily. We would likely stick with a front loader though, my wife is short and has trouble getting into the bottom of a top loader.

What would you guys do? Thanks for any thoughts or any washer suggestions!

I would buy a top-loader. I have the non-agitator Maytag Bravos and love it. Right around $450 I paid brand new. It cleans better than my former Whirlpool agitator model and only has one hiccup. I choose to run full loads and use the new Bravos on the highest water setting. All the other settings use minimal amount of water and I have sensitive skin, so I need all that soap out and I ain't doing the double rinse option available on my new washer.

Double rinses take too long to wash those clothes. Use the highest water setting and be done with the wash in normal time.
Get this Maytag Bravos - enjoy clean clothes again and save money.

Replace it with a Speed Queen from a local dealer rather than a big box store; a top loader if you don’t prefer the front.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Jeez, and our folks expected 25 years min from washer or dryer ... I have been replacing parts on our stuff as long as I can get the parts. New machine is WAY more money. It's your coin, but if you can do it, do it
smile.gif

Any appliance sales man will tell you with very few exceptions machines don't last any where near 25 years any more.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
smile.gif

You're buying $170 parts to fix old washers? Sure it makes sense to replace $10-20 parts, not so much with major parts. I get more than 10 years out of my stuff but anything major and it's getting taken out to the road. I also wouldn't buy a $1000 washer.

Length of service depends on family size, washing machine size and how often you are washing the clothes.

Always use near/at full loads and the machine will last longer, due to less use. Much like your vehicle, most wear is at startup and stop.

Family of 4, using full loads, should get 10+ years of service, using an large washing machine like the standard Maytag Bravos.

I went to the store that sold me a scratch & dent frig to replace a handle. As I was paying for it, I was surprised to hear the same exact sentiment from the sales clerk--that the newer units will not last the 15 years that I got out of that frig.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Any appliance sales man will tell you with very few exceptions machines don't last any where near 25 years any more.

Thanks everyone! I'm still debating. I think if I can find a cheaper replacement drum, I might try, but I'll probably start shopping for a new washer anyway. We're lucky enough to have my dad's house close by (he's out of town) that we can do laundry at.

I'd really like to get a front loader Speed Queen, but they stop selling them sometime this year. It looks like there are some retailers that still have them. Looks like they're going for $1,500 or so, which is hefty, but if it can last twice as long, I'd be ok with it.

The previous owners had a family of 4, so it was probably used quite a bit more in the first 7 years than the last two years (just 2 of us).

If you need to buy locally:
-Sears online
-Abt
-Lowes
-Homedepot
-Menards

Costco is Samsung/LG right now....

Also some guys mentioned Whirlpool/Maytag Commercial line in some previous threads. hey may be less steep than a speed queen.

SQ stopped selling residential front loaders, only exceptions: stacked unit and any remaining older stock at dealers. We were lucky and got a floor model for $800. Top loaders are still sold, however for 2018 they were redesigned to meet DOE water-usage requirements. I believe their still quality units, however they use less water and have a different wash mechanism that some say isn't not as good as prior models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back