Watching houses burn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now, and it’s heartbreaking. It got hot today, about 106 to 115, depending on what part of the county you’re in. And the fires started. The big one right now at “only” 400 acres is in Alpine, a pretty area east of San Diego. At least 20 structures have burned, most of them single-family residences. We just watched a big beautiful house burn. When we first saw it, it was maybe 30% involved. Within minutes, it was fully involved. No firefighters on scene, not that they could have done much.

I can’t imagine being on the fire line, fighting triple-digit temperatures, wind gusts of 30+ mph, embers starting new fires all around, and the frustrating inability, at least for now, to get on top of the situation. Two firefighters have been sent to the hospital so far, one with burns, and one with heat-related illness. I hope they’re OK.

Hope the fire fighters are okay,
If you can build a nice house in the middle of nowhere then build a mote around it so it don't burn down.

It's moat.

My brother was based in SD 3 times....the third time they had built houses all along the ridges to the east - ridges that frequently get struck by lightning, ridges that had in the past burned the shrubs and bushes that grew there....now, the lightning still strikes, and houses rather than bushes burn. It's a shame and I too hope the firefighters are well.

And also that people get smart and start building more fire resistant houses in those locations.

Originally Posted By: rollinpete
Hope the fire fighters are okay,
If you can build a nice house in the middle of nowhere then build a mote around it so it don't burn down.

A moat won't help with 30 mph winds, Fires jump freeways all the time.

Last edited:
Sorry Moat.
Well we seem to see this every year there must be some kind of fire bearer to put up.IDK.
People are building whether it be next to the ocean, woods, cliffs, volcanoes, whatever...
They take the risks, hope all is well.

If it doesn't talk and doesn't matter is it a mute moot moat?

My family has lost a couple of houses to fire, so it is something that is always on my mind when I am away from home. How many of these wildfires would be preventable or at least controllable with prescribed burns?

A trucking companies building has been burning for hours just down the road from me. 20 departments are all pitching in, I hate this not only for the loss but as a sprinkler fitter it hurts a little more. Hope everyone is safe out by you Stelth.

We used to live in Alpine. We now live 8 miles to the west. Before we bought this house we were looking to buy in Alpine but changed our minds. I watched the house that we had been looking at buying burn today on TV. I had already lost a house to a fire back in 2006.

A fire just started not far from me in Goleta. Not surprised it started, it was over 100F out after 8PM with about 13% humidity and sun-downer winds. Sun-downer winds blow towards the ocean and are hot winds, it tends to drive fires here.

Well, we all know that there are places where houses simply shouldn't be built.
Even those who buy them are aware of this and simply hope that the odds work in their favor.
People buy based upon the desirable attributes of a location and hope for the best.
Fire risk, flooding risk and tropical storm risk are among those potential hazards people accept to live in a desirable location, or how about geologic risk, like the active volcanos that aren't limited to Hawaii or the earthquakes which aren't limited to the Pacific coast. We could potentially see a major temblor right here in the Midwest at some point. The New Madrid fault remains quiet for now, but the projected danger zone extends all the way into the area in which we live.
Property can always be replaced. As heartbreaking as it would be to see one's home reduced to a smoldering ruin in less than an hour, as will happen with no active intervention, as long as no lives are lost then the outcome isn't too horrible.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
At least the big gun 747 Super Tanker will be able to fly in California.

http://fireaviation.com/2018/07/07/747-supertanker-activated-on-cal-fire-cwn-contract/

Yeah, I know I'd be happy to trade my house burning down for a view of a desert yard refugee old airliner dumping retardant.
Just you wait. In a decade or so, maybe we'll see A380s in a similar role.

Desert Yard refugee??? That plane has the best parts available today! new GE engines, the best state of the art delivery system. Pilots who risk their lives. All brought to the firefight by an entrepreneur willing to take a risk.

While you sit while your house burns down cursing the people trying to put it down, I'd be buying them donuts and coffee congratulating them for trying.

You ought to be ashamed of yourself for such a snide comment. Do you treat all people who'd risk their livelihood for free to save your house with such an attitude???

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back