Home

Anthony Bourdain - RIP

Posted By: Shannow

Anthony Bourdain - RIP - 06/08/18 11:53 AM

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/201...dead-at-61.html

RIP.

There's a crisis going on here...or it's just more open.

as one of the feeds on my wife's facebook links said the other day, we followed Patrick Swayze through his suffering to the end, we don't see the suffering of some people (e.g. Robin williams) until the end.
Posted By: Garak

Re: Anthony Bourdain - RIP - 06/08/18 12:16 PM

That's pretty sad. Yes, it seems like Robin Williams - the wider public didn't know until the end.
Posted By: carviewsonic

Re: Anthony Bourdain - RIP - 06/08/18 01:07 PM

Very sad..
I enjoyed his show, I admired his straight forward style of story telling, and his sense of adventure.
RIP
Posted By: Zee09

Re: Anthony Bourdain - RIP - 06/08/18 01:29 PM

I met him in Paris in 2003. I did not know him on a personal level but he made you feel like you did.
He was always the life of the party. My barber who is the same age looked exactly like him and acted like him
but had no idea who he was. It is very sad and I don't get the hanging routine. It's like they want to torture themselves in the end.
Posted By: Sayjac

Re: Anthony Bourdain - RIP - 06/08/18 01:44 PM

Sorry to hear this. Liked his show and gathered from some of them (canoe/boat trip deep into jungle comes to mind) that he had demons in his life.

RIP, AB.
Posted By: sasilverbullet

Re: Anthony Bourdain - RIP - 06/08/18 01:54 PM

Very sad when someone with no hope takes their own life, there's always hope! Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem, no matter how bad the problem may seem.

I loved watching his show until he had to get political almost every episode.
Posted By: billt460

Re: Anthony Bourdain - RIP - 06/08/18 01:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Shannow
.....as one of the feeds on my wife's facebook links said the other day, we followed Patrick Swayze through his suffering to the end, we don't see the suffering of some people (e.g. Robin williams) until the end.

Swayze should not be mentioned with either Williams or Bourdain. He loved life, but was victimized by terminal cancer. He didn't off himself. He fought bravely to the bitter end.

Re: Anthony Bourdain - RIP - 06/08/18 01:56 PM

Originally Posted By: billt460
.....as one of the feeds on my wife's facebook links said the other day, we followed Patrick Swayze through his suffering to the end, we don't see the suffering of some people (e.g. Robin williams) until the end.

Swayze should not be mentioned with either Williams or Bourdain. He loved life, but was victimized by terminal cancer. He didn't off himself. He fought bravely to the bitter end.

:sigh:
Posted By: HemiHawk

Re: Anthony Bourdain - RIP - 06/08/18 02:04 PM

What Shannow is saying is sometimes you can see the end coming from a mile away, other times its hidden and doesn't surface until its too late.
Posted By: maverickfhs

Re: Anthony Bourdain - RIP - 06/08/18 02:07 PM

RIP and sad, overall.

Re: Anthony Bourdain - RIP - 06/08/18 02:10 PM

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
What Shannow is saying is sometimes you can see the end coming from a mile away, other times its hidden and doesn't surface until its too late.

A LOT of people said Williams was acting strangely, and out of the ordinary for weeks leading up to his suicide. Many of these people leave indicators of what they're planning to do. They just aren't recognized.

Re: Anthony Bourdain - RIP - 06/08/18 02:11 PM

try reasoning with a bag of hammers
Posted By: supton

Re: Anthony Bourdain - RIP - 06/08/18 02:29 PM

A LOT of people said Williams was acting strangely, and out of the ordinary for weeks leading up to his suicide. Many of these people leave indicators of what they're planning to do. They just aren't recognized.

That was because of his dementia. It was sad, but he was rapidly fading, and wasn't going to be Robin much longer. His autopsy showed how bad his condition was.
Posted By: PimTac

Re: Anthony Bourdain - RIP - 06/08/18 02:53 PM

Sad to hear this. Bourdain was one of the few chef celebrities who told it like it was. Iím sure we will find out eventually what sparked this. It is a growing phenomena amongst celebrities it seems.
Posted By: Drew99GT

Re: Anthony Bourdain - RIP - 06/08/18 03:19 PM

He was a legit dude. Sad to see he took his life.
Posted By: IndyFan

Re: Anthony Bourdain - RIP - 06/08/18 04:30 PM

I feel terribly for anyone who feels low or badly enough to do that to themselves, choice or not. I thank God I've not experienced a feeling that would lead me to think that was a solution. I can't imagine it. It is even worse when someone you love does it. I had a niece do it a couple years ago. I've got no anger toward her, only sadness and a horrible wonder of what she must have been feeling.

I leave it for God to be the judge, as only He knows the truth in each situation. I then pray for His mercy on them, and the rest of us, for that matter.

Sad to hear about Mr. Bourdaine. I didn't know much about him, but the few times I'd seen an interview or comment from him, he was interesting and seemed like someone I'd love to have known.
Posted By: onetwoothreee

Re: Anthony Bourdain - RIP - 06/08/18 04:51 PM

Aww he killed himself!?!
Posted By: jonnied1

Re: Anthony Bourdain - RIP - 06/08/18 04:52 PM

RIP! Always enjoyed his shows.

Re: Anthony Bourdain - RIP - 06/08/18 05:04 PM

I didn't know he was from France. I thought maybe New York or something. He looked happier if anything on TV the last couple years. I think I remember he even had kids (recently) or something! Last thing I would have expected. Like one of those people who made it ok to be who he was. Blankety blank. Blank.

Re: Anthony Bourdain - RIP - 06/08/18 05:23 PM

:sigh:

Like there's no one to blame with people like that.
Posted By: 2strokeNorthstar

Re: Anthony Bourdain - RIP - 06/08/18 07:17 PM

Being in the public eye non stop destroys people or maybe broke people hanging themselves is not newsworthy? I wonder if he was on any prescription meds?
Posted By: Trav

Re: Anthony Bourdain - RIP - 06/08/18 07:18 PM

What a GD shame, RIP. There is there is something going on, too many poor buggers in emotional distress and cant work it out for the fear of being shamed by others, media, etc then they do this. There for the grace of God go I.

Re: Anthony Bourdain - RIP - 06/08/18 07:40 PM

This is a true tragedy.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/06/...ing-letter.html
Posted By: Mr Nice

Re: Anthony Bourdain - RIP - 06/08/18 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By: 2strokeNorthstar
Being in the public eye non stop destroys people or maybe broke people hanging themselves is not newsworthy? I wonder if he was on any prescription meds?

I agree.
Posted By: Garak

Re: Anthony Bourdain - RIP - 06/08/18 10:14 PM

Originally Posted By: 2strokeNorthstar
Being in the public eye non stop destroys people or maybe broke people hanging themselves is not newsworthy?

Given his celebrity, his death certainly would have been reported regardless of the cause or the timing. If he lived another 40 years and died of old age, it would have been reported.

Yes, it's unfortunate when broke people and working people commit suicide, too, but unfortunately, only so much is newsworthy, and even lots we hear isn't even that. wink
Posted By: Donald

Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/08/18 10:17 PM

Seems sad that two celebrities committed suicide by hanging in a week. One was a mother with a 13 yr old daughter. Yes she had depression. But it was still a selfish act. Her daughter will think she was not important enough for her mother to stick around.
Posted By: Lolvoguy

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/08/18 10:26 PM

who were they?
How can you say it was a "selfish act"?
You don't know what problems they were facing.
Could have been psychological issues that plagued them for years, making them a nuisance to family and those around them.

Everyone's so quick to judge
coffee
Posted By: JLTD

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/08/18 10:28 PM

Kate Spade

Anthony Bourdain
Posted By: hatt

Re: Anthony Bourdain - RIP - 06/08/18 10:31 PM

I like watching his shows.
Posted By: SirTanon

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/08/18 10:33 PM

I hope I'm wrong, but something tells me Kate and Anthony will not be the last of this before 2018 ends..

So sad that even one of them couldn't find the solace/help they needed to overcome whatever demons drove them to this end. RIP
Posted By: LoneRanger

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/08/18 10:36 PM

Do we really need a 2nd thread on this? The last one began to go off the rails and replies were deleted by the mods, of which one was mine and I admit to being guilty as charged for popping off.
Posted By: fdcg27

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/08/18 10:53 PM

It is sad when anyone takes their own life.
That two people who seemingly had the world by the tail would kill themselves is puzzling.
While I agree that suicide is a selfish act, showing no regard for those left behind to deal with it, we probably need to reconsider the need for better mental health care as well as a destigmatasation of mental illness.
The largest mental health system we have today consists of the many state and federal prisons, a symptom of a failed social and medical care system.
We have to do better.
Posted By: PeterPolyol

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/08/18 10:53 PM

The spike in popularity for suicide says just about all it needs to say about the ills and cancers in our society, rather than individuals. Why would Anthony Bourdain of all people do this? He was at work for cripe sake (dream job btw). Did he cross someone? Was his drugs laced with fentanyl? He was one of the good guys.
Posted By: LeakySeals

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/08/18 11:06 PM

I'm guessing Anthony was thinking about it.. Kate gave him the bravado to do it.

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/08/18 11:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Donald
Seems sad that two celebrities committed suicide by hanging in a week. One was a mother with a 13 yr old daughter. Yes she had depression. But it was still a selfish act. Her daughter will think she was not important enough for her mother to stick around.

I agree. It's a selfish act. And that is exactly what the kids will grow up thinking. It is also being reported Bourdain had an 11 year old daughter. If people want to feel sorry for someone, feel sorry for her..... Not him.
Posted By: maxdustington

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/08/18 11:26 PM

It's drugs man. Mysterious suicide for no reason? 50% of the time drug related.
Posted By: SirTanon

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/08/18 11:31 PM

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
The spike in popularity for suicide says just about all it needs to say about the ills and cancers in our society, rather than individuals.

Why would Anthony Bourdain of all people do this?

He was at work for cripe sake (dream job btw). Did he cross someone? Was his drugs laced with fentanyl? He was one of the good guys.

I was wondering about this, and what came to mind was "I wonder if he had some sort of terminal condition he was keeping to himself and decided to go out on his own terms".. Wouldn't be the first time, although the circumstances are a bit odd.
Posted By: Al

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/08/18 11:34 PM

But it was still a selfish act.

If you have not had severe depression you can't possibly understand. frown
Suicide is the leading killer for males under 45

Originally Posted By: Leo99

Anti - depressant drugs can increase suicide rates.

That is a loaded statement. People needing these drugs are already at risk for suicide. Flawed statistics

What is not mentioned is how many they save. Been there done that.
Posted By: Leo99

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/08/18 11:46 PM

The "rise" is due to 2 things;

Anti - depressant drugs can increase suicide rates.

Slightly less stigma about suicide so they call it suicide instead of some other euphemism.
Posted By: ZeeOSix

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/08/18 11:50 PM

Only from someone looking from the outside in. People that have never been in that deep depression state of mind will never understand how these people felt and thought.

I wish people would make the first most important move when they are suffering from depression, and that is to reach out for help. In today's world there should be now shame felt by reaching out if someone needs help. And on the flip side, if someone detects that someone is having mental struggles they might want to make ask them about it and reach out with an offer to help.

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/09/18 12:08 AM

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I wish people would make the first most important move when they are suffering from depression, and that is to reach out for help. In today's world there should be now shame felt by reaching out if someone needs help. And on the flip side, if someone detects that someone is having mental struggles they might want to make ask them about it and reach out with an offer to help.

This region has a massive epidemic of suicide at present...

It's great to see the slogan "It ain't weak to speak" emblazoned on so many cars in the district, just to try to get the word out that people are here to listen.

Only from someone looking from the outside in. People that have never been in that deep depression state of mind will never understand how these people felt and thought.

At that specific point, they think that they will be doing everyone else a favour ...scarcely selfish.
Posted By: Donald

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/09/18 12:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
who were they?
How can you say it was a "selfish act"?
You don't know what problems they were facing.
Could have been psychological issues that plagued them for years, making them a nuisance to family and those around them.

Everyone's so quick to judge
coffee

Suicide in general is selfish. People think they are a burden and suicide will help as the people around them will no longer have to care for them. But
the person who commits suicide has it wrong.
Posted By: spasm3

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/09/18 12:16 AM

I have to wonder if the higher rate of anti-depressant use is a factor.
Posted By: Al

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/09/18 12:18 AM

Suicide in general is selfish.

Can't stop beating the drum can you? They are not selfish, nor really do they think they are easing the burden of others. Its a mental disease..Get it?

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I have to wonder if the higher rate of anti-depressant use is a factor.

No

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/09/18 12:39 AM

Quote:
This region has a massive epidemic of suicide at present...

It's great to see the slogan "It ain't weak to speak" emblazoned on so many cars in the district, just to try to get the word out that people are here to listen

Why the high suicide rate in that region ?
Posted By: Chris142

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/09/18 12:40 AM

No clue who these people were.

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/09/18 12:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

Why the high suicide rate in that region ?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-10/lithgow-suicide-crisis-in-shadow-of-springvale/9031072
http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/lithgow-struggles-with-economic-decline,-and-a/9036230
(BTW, I build the conveying and coal storage infrastructure at the power station in the opening of that video...was turbine engineer there for a decade)

Multifaceted...
Part of it is that the district that built Sydney (cement and steel), and powered 20% of the state (coal electricity) is in decline (much of that artificially imposed), and when you hear the people that drive up to protest, they don't like us.

Tough coal miners and rugby players don't talk...

But we are losing kids as well, so it's not just that. The regional events coordinator for the council took her life the other day.
Posted By: 02SE

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/09/18 01:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Chris142
No clue who these people were.

I'd never heard of either person until this week.

But I have known some people that made the choice to end their lives on their own terms. In each case, seemingly no one knew they were contemplating such a thing. Also in each case, they left behind people grieving and wondering why.
Posted By: gathermewool

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/09/18 01:18 AM

My wife and kids are the only thing that have kept me alive for the past couple of years. Suicide is the cowards way out, but sometimes, the pain is great enough for some really dark thoughts.

Some succumb during the lowest of low times.
Posted By: CT8

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/09/18 01:40 AM

The freedom to choose. It is the thing these days.

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/09/18 01:50 AM

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Suicide is the cowards way out, but sometimes, the pain is great enough for some really dark thoughts.

I don't think it's "the cowards way out". Just like the misconception that it's a "selfish act", until you're are in the same state of mind as someone a second away from commuting suicide (as you stated "really dark thoughts"), nobody here can not make conclusive statements of what the act of suicide is about to the person doing it.
Posted By: grampi

Re: Anthony Bourdain - RIP - 06/09/18 02:42 AM

I just can't figure out why these people who seem to be living a fantasy life take their own lives. For years I wondered what it would be like to be rich and famous, but lately I'm wondering if I wouldn't be able to handle it either...
Posted By: sleddriver

Re: Anthony Bourdain - RIP - 06/09/18 02:59 AM

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
The spike in popularity for suicide says just about all it needs to say about the ills and cancers in our society, rather than individuals. Why would Anthony Bourdain of all people do this? He was at work for cripe sake (dream job btw). Did he cross someone? Was his drugs laced with fentanyl? He was one of the good guys.
I agree. It's a selfish act. And that is exactly what the kids will grow up thinking. It is also being reported Bourdain had an 11 year old daughter. If people want to feel sorry for someone, feel sorry for her..... Not him.
Suicide in general is selfish. People think they are a burden and suicide will help as the people around them will no longer have to care for them. But the person who commits suicide has it wrong.
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
My wife and kids are the only thing that have kept me alive for the past couple of years. Suicide is the cowards way out, but sometimes, the pain is great enough for some really dark thoughts. Some succumb during the lowest of low times.

• Rather selfish of you Donald to jump so fast & so far to conclusions when you obviously don't understand the situation, much less the dynamic, nor the toll it takes on one over several decades. Second, I'm willing to bet her teenage daughter was all too familiar with her own Mother's moods. Not all teenagers are clueless. Third, how would you know what her daughter will think or does think? Particularly since you've demonstrated just how little thought you've given the situation before commenting...twice I might add.
    _
  • You need to THINK before you TYPE Donald. If you are not capable of the former, you should hesitate with regard to the later. Otherwise you come off as the fool you've outed by your own keyboard.
    _
  • If you want to understand Tony better PP, read his book. He was one intense, restless man, who lived on-the-edge using drugs at an early age to cope and continued to do so, for decades upon decades, even after fathering a child then divorcing a year later. He said he'd never retire as he's far too restless for that.
    _
  • Another one who knows exactly what Tony's daughter will think. See above.
    _
  • Back to prove to us your ignorance Donald? Do you think that's wise, doubling down on your own ignorance + knee-jerk reaction?
    _
  • More judgement from yet another. You make a rather bold statement, after describing your own issues, then back off.
    _
  • I DO agree this is a huge loss for their innocent, young daughters who are probably in a state of shock, thus not sure what to think or feel, and the LAST thing they need is all of the idiot media attention. As someone who lost both parents at an early age I can empathize. Losing any parent while young is bad enough without the media circus.
    _
  • This isn't the last of this. There will be more. Nearly as many die at their own hand as die from the flu every year. We recently passed Memorial Day. Many vets who physically made it back ended their lives on shore. Many have survivors who are young kids, wives, girlfriends and family. Odd how little mention they receive from the media. Perhaps they were not 'famous' enough? Their lives matter too. Do they too deserve to be labeled as "selfish"? Is that it? Is that all? After all, they volunteered for service. Leaving home, family, wives, kids...all of it to serve where ever they were sent.
    _
  • People are complex. Relationships between people even more so. Furthermore, Life isn't fair, nor is it equal, nor guaranteed. It is what it is.

Re: Anthony Bourdain - RIP - 06/09/18 03:27 AM

Originally Posted By: grampi
I just can't figure out why these people who seem to be living a fantasy life take their own lives. For years I wondered what it would be like to be rich and famous, but lately I'm wondering if I wouldn't be able to handle it either...

Just goes to show that having all that can not make someone happy all the time. Every human being can be susceptible to a bad case of depression, and having money and fame doesn't prevent it. In fact, it may even add to the susceptibility.

Re: Anthony Bourdain - RIP - 06/09/18 04:01 AM

Heard on the news tonight that Anthony Bourdain was having relationship problems with his girl friend, and had recently saw her in a romantic way with another guy in public. Romantic/love relationship problems can often trigger emotional pain and deep depression. Could be that was part of the issue.

Re: Anthony Bourdain - RIP - 06/09/18 08:48 AM

Potentially even relevant to the thread that's been running on exactly that topic.

Here's the address...not sure how you missed it.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4781489/Krauthammer#Post4781489
Posted By: hatt

Re: Anthony Bourdain - RIP - 06/09/18 09:46 AM

Just goes to show that having all that can not make someone happy all the time. Every human being can be susceptible to a bad case of depression, and having money and fame doesn't prevent it. In fact, it may even add to the susceptibility.
I've always thought it would make it worst. "I have everything and I'm miserable." The have nots can blame something.
Posted By: IndyFan

Re: Anthony Bourdain - RIP - 06/09/18 10:28 AM

Interesting how we think fame and wealth would make suicide or even depression less likely. The lesson that seems to be right there in front of us, over and over, is that you can't buy happiness, as much as we dream that we could. We also won't find it in speculating and judging someone who makes such a tragic decision. How could we possibly know whether it was a selfish act or an act of deperation to relieve pain and anguish so severe, he couldn't feel anything else? Only God knows. I feel for his daughter and family. I can't imagine their pain, either.

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/09/18 10:33 AM

Suicide in general is selfish. People think they are a burden and suicide will help as the people around them will no longer have to care for them. But the person who commits suicide has it wrong.

I agree with your first sentence. It is a selfish act. No question about it. However in Bourdain's case I doubt his reason was so that, "other people around him would no longer have to care for him". That thought itself is very unselfish. Bourdain left an 11 year old daughter. He did so because he wanted to end his own life far more than he cared about who would care for her. Or what effect his death would have on her. And she is a young, impressionable child, who has her whole life in front of her. He didn't give a dam about that, or her. If that isn't textbook selfish, then I don't know what is.

His death meant more to him than anyone else who was dependent on him. Again, that's about as selfish as you can get, no matter how you look at it. Especially when it's a young child. It's much the same with the alcoholic. They see what's happening to their lives, jobs, finances, families, and marriages. But they don't care. Because they would rather drink anyway. It's easier than getting the help they know they need to beat it. Just like the depressed suicidal person does. It's easier to 86 themselves and be done with it. These people toy with the idea of suicide for months. Some for years. Just like the alcoholic drinks. This process doesn't start on Monday, and end on Tuesday.

You can make excuses on their behalf, and feel sorry for them if you want to. Or if it helps make you feel better about yourself. But the result is the same regardless. They took what was for them, the easy way out. Death by suicide, and or constant drunkenness through alcoholism. And by doing it they left a path of emotional destruction their families and children have to clean up. Many don't. It effects their lives in a negative way. I'm certainly not going to waste my time feeling sorry for anyone selfish enough to do that.

Posted By: NGRhodes

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/09/18 12:03 PM

Have suicide rates increased or is it media attention in general or just because its happened to the rich and famous ? - I don't honestly know.

I have 2 friends how have contemplated suicide, one ended up in an institution for a short time, both I grew up with and went to school with and thankfully both are through their lowest points.

I'm no councillor, but I have grasped the following, from being a good friend and listening/helping:

They didn't consider suicide the easy way out, their perceived only way out. Remember they are not in a fit state of mind, lacking rational thinking and reasoning, they had a perception of being useless and a bane on others, embarrassment to their friends and family.
IMHO its the not easy way out, the cowards way or selfish, its DESPERATION.

Depression is only a symptom, you need address the underlying issues, often these underlying issues cannot be eradicated by therapy and medication and can only be mitigated with ongoing treatment and will comeback, sometimes you get a specific diagnosis such as Bipolar or PTSD, sometimes you do not.

IMHO Mental Health is not prioritised enough in society, it leads to lots of bad things such as [family, people, drug, alcohol] abuse, homelessness, crime etc. We (as a global society) need to be far more proactive; people are encouraged to exercise and keep fit, yet mental health is mostly treated re-actively, signs of mental health issues start at young school age, and there should be a better awareness of mental health taught (in a basic format). I've experienced mental health issues of one of my children who has had a formal assessment been swept under the rug by a teacher as just being different/having a bad day (at a different/better school now)!

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/09/18 12:10 PM

Originally Posted By: NGRhodes
Have suicide rates increased or is it media attention in general or just because its happened to the rich and famous? I don't honestly know.

If you have observed society in general over the last 50+ years, especially in this country, none of this should come as a surprise.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shot...ed-dramatically

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/07/health/suicide-report-cdc/index.html

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/...ng-suicide-rate

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-y...m=.339bc0700433
Posted By: grampi

Re: Anthony Bourdain - RIP - 06/09/18 12:13 PM

Originally Posted By: IndyFan
Interesting how we think fame and wealth would make suicide or even depression less likely. The lesson that seems to be right there in front of us, over and over, is that you can't buy happiness, as much as we dream that we could. We also won't find it in speculating and judging someone who makes such a tragic decision. How could we possibly know whether it was a selfish act or an act of deperation to relieve pain and anguish so severe, he couldn't feel anything else? Only God knows. I feel for his daughter and family. I can't imagine their pain, either.

It would be interesting to see a stat that showed how many of these people had suicidal tenancies before they became rich and famous...

Re: Anthony Bourdain - RIP - 06/09/18 12:36 PM

It's much the same with alcoholism. It parallels the same identical increase in suicide over the last several years. As we become weaker as individuals, and as a society, all of this type of self destructive behavior will increase.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/...es-older-adults

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/8/10/16124938/study-alcoholism-addiction-epidemic

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalto...y/#1f983d793eb7

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/09/18 12:37 PM

I can't believe the emerging theme in this thread alluding that suicide is always a conscious, clear minded, rational choice and the person deserves to be scorned as some sort of bad guy or gal.

My wife of 23 yrs took her life by intentional overdose on March 8, 2012. In September 1995 she was diagnosed "Major Depressive Disorder- Recurrent, Rule Out Bi-Polar" That's an exact quote from her medical records which were obtained by the coroner after her death to guide the autopsy. She despised the diagnosis and wanted with all her heart to be "normal" but it just wasn't going to happen because IT IS A DISEASE. Yes, you read those all caps correct, and yes they were meant for you and you know who you are. She probably got prescribed about every anti-depressant out there, over the years. Prozac was big in the 90's and that was the first dart they threw at the Depression dart board, hoping to hit the bulls eye. The names of the meds over the years escape me at the moment. Zyprexa. Effexor. Citalopram... quite a few different ones.

The last suite of meds they had her on was: Welbutrin XL 300mg (max FDA dose), Vyvanse 60mg (70mg = max FDA dose), Temazepam (unk mg), and Ambien (for sleep).

Yes, Ambien.

Go ahead and Google "Ambien and suicide", or "Ambien zombies" and etc. Never mind that in response to the high suicide rate on Ambien the FDA moved to require a labeling protocol to warn medical professionals to use caution when prescribing it to patients with diagnosed Depression.

I wonder if Anthony Bourdain was taking Ambien for sleep? Or some of the other celebs had been prescribed it in treatment?

The toxicology tests from the autopsy showed that my wife had standard dose of Ambien in her blood. For crying out loud, Ambien is classed as a 'Hypnotic" in the pharmacy classifications, yet they prescribed it to someone with (at the time) a 16 yr diagnosis of Major Depressive Disorder (first prescribed in late 2011 few months before she killed herself)

Reason for the Vyvanse (amphetamine) was in 2010 they'd added Adult ADHD to the diagnosis.

You see, some people struggle with mental illness their entire life and it eventually takes them. It's a DISEASE of the bio-chemistry of the brain that can be terminal same as any other DISEASE of the body.

Like some of these celebs, you would never guess there was a struggle from my wife's outward personality she managed to maintain to friends and family and clients (outside sales career). She was attractive and took good care of herself physically and had these captivating blue eyes, exercised, ate sensibly, etc. She did everything right physically to live well and be successful. She sought treatment like you're supposed to. Her looks and her outward personality helped her succeed in outside sales rep work, she could sell!! But she was dealt a tough hand of cards to play in the brain chemistry game, and is not the only person in her family to have that challenge. Some DISEASES run in families.

So before you RUSH TO JUDGMENT when hearing or reading of a suicide, pause and consider all the potential factors that you yourself may know nothing about with regard to that person's life experiences and the cards they were dealt in natural brain chemistry imbalances.

Yes, you are correct when you say suicide leaves behind wreckage and strife for the survivors and in that respect it's easy to point a finger at the person responsible regardless of what that person had going on with the ganglions, synapses, and neurons and the serotonin, dopamine, and more that regulates how everything works upstairs.

And no need for any "sorry about your wife" condolences, appreciate the gesture but I'm past it and engaged to marry a wonderful woman I met early 2015.

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/09/18 01:05 PM

We as a society are becoming weaker, and far less self sufficient. We are always looking for something, or someone else to blame when things don't pan out in our lives. Today more than ever before, we want the easy solutions that always seem to come from a bottle. Be it for depression, weight loss, sleeplessness, or not having enough energy. We search for a pill to swallow, or something to drink that will "cure it" quickly and effortlessly on our part.

I've lived with insomnia for well over 40 years. (Look at the time of my posts in regards to my time zone if you doubt that). I have had numerous doctors over the years who wanted to, and in fact did, prescribe me with every prescription sleep aid known to man. Ambien, Amitriptyline, Lunesta, Restoril, Halcion. Name it and they wrote me for it at one time or another. All in order to "help me". I never had a single one of them filled.

Why? Because prescription sleep aids are nothing but a short term solution to a long term problem. And you don't have to be a doctor to know this. It's common sense. You become physically and psychologically dependent on them. Then you have an even bigger problem. Same with prescription pain killers. I've had them prescribed to me after orthopedic knee surgery, (2). Inner ear surgery. And 2 hernias. All of which were very painful. I took them for a few days, and flushed what was left and lived with the pain. It wasn't easy, believe me. Most people take them all, and refill them until they no longer can. That is asking to become addicted. Proof is today opiate pain medication is one of the most abused drugs in this country. Prescription or otherwise. Thousands die every year.

It was very hard to do the things I outlined above. But I knew by not taking them, I would be better off in the long run. Today in many cases, we are discovering the cure is worse than the disease. The problem is by the time we discover it, it becomes too late. The mess that is required to be cleaned up is even bigger. All of this can be laid at the doorstep of a society that has become weaker.

Posted By: gathermewool

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/09/18 01:29 PM

My post was more of a self-pep talk, based on my own personal struggles. Not 20 years ago, ten years ago or many months ago; now. I grieve for those Iíve lost and have begun to remember things better left buried deeply. I thought I was strong, but I struggle.

I stand by my statement that suicide is the cowards way and out, however. No one can fix someone so low, but there are paths forward that are a lot less painful. Iím walking that path with my family, not alone; that makes all the difference for me.

Iíve worked my butt off my entire life. I earned every single thing I have. We didnít have money for college, so I went to a military academy for ďfreeĒ. Iíve made it very far in life and have nice things. That doesnít stop one too many things from knocking me down and putting a knee to my neck (figuratively speaking)

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/09/18 01:44 PM

Look at this description / definition of the sleep aid Restoril. And tell me who in their right mind would not just fill a prescription for this garbage, but actually take it? And I don't care if the Chief Resident Physician at the Mayo Clinic wrote it for me. And yet thousands do every year. This is just one drug. And we wonder why this nonsense is happening on such a grand scale?

Temazepam
Brand name: Restoril

Sedative

It can treat insomnia.

Controlled substance

Can cause paranoid or suicidal ideation and impair memory, judgment, and coordination. Combining with other substances, particularly alcohol, can slow breathing and possibly lead to death.
Posted By: BeerCan

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/09/18 03:29 PM

Well I take temazepam everyday and I credit it with improving my quality of life 100%. Not everyone's experience is the same. The people that know me well recognize the me that sleeps is mentally healthier than the me that didn't. I went to a specialist in sleep and not my regular doctor. Many factors and methods were tried until this course of action was prescribed.

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/09/18 04:13 PM

BeerCan, I don't doubt that it helped you. When people have issues they are told to seek help. Be it Insomnia, Depression, or Cancer. Mental Illness and even Personality Disorders are rooted in biology, not some "not being tough enough to tough it out", so to speak. I agree that we should not seek or rely upon pharmaceuticals for the first hiccup in our health or outlook, etc. But when our life starts to suffer or we have issues that holistic approaches aren't fixxing, then what are we to do? Suffer and be diseased without trying the next step which is seeking professional help be it medical treatment or psychiatric treatment, etc. If you're feeling off key and let it go, then eventually feel bad enough to go to the MD and tests find Cancer, would you not let the medical community treat it or are you going to "tough it out?" Of course you're going to seek medical treatment. No difference for people who suffer personality disorders or other forms of mental unwellness.

When you seek help and the cure is worse than the disease then the disease may eventually take you if you cease treatment with the cure, and if you continue with the cure it may degrade your quality of life more than managing the disease. Or the cure, at least in the case of psychotropic pharmaceuticals, may lead you down a deadly path by those label warnings coming true.

So tell me, which path is the answer?

I am convinced that Ambien was the "cure" amongst the so called cures that caused the suicidal action of my wife. She had never once threatened suicide or spoken of feeling that it could ever be an option she would choose. Just boom, and she did it. My brother took Ambien for a while, until one night where the neighbors called in a 911 run because he was standing in the street at 3am in his boxer shorts shouting at people that weren't there. Deputies called me and told me my brother just had an Ambien zombie experience. He quit the stuff the next day. People have driven to wal mart in the wee hours in their underwear on that stuff, in a zombie like state of semi consciousness or waking sleep. It's a hypnotic and it's freakin' poison as far as I'm concerned. Should have been pulled from the market yrs ago.

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/09/18 04:24 PM

Fame and wealth doesnít necessarily makes a person happy within...

Posted By: Leo99

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/09/18 04:51 PM

I worry about Wayne Brady. He suffers from depression.
Posted By: andyd

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/09/18 05:04 PM

No, I don't know the reasons why AB hung himself. If he didn't leave a note , perhaps auto erotic asphyxiation? hide

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/09/18 06:39 PM

Alcoholism, prescription drug dependency, and suicide are ALL on the rise in this country by large percentages. You don't have to be a Rhodes Scholar to determine we are on the wrong path. People need to start questioning this stuff before they start swallowing it, based on what some doctor tells them.

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/09/18 06:58 PM

Look at all of these so called "Energy Drinks". They are for sale everywhere. Red Bull is a multi billion dollar corporation. Monster, Rock Star, NOS, 5 Hour, and literally dozens more. They are nothing but massive overdoses of sugar and caffeine. And we thought Mountain Dew was bad. Talk to any cardiologist and they will tell you they are among the absolute worst things you can possibly drink. It doesn't matter. People buy them by the trainload.

There are people who can't get through the day without them. They even mix them with alcohol. (Red Bull and vodka is a very popular drink in a lot of clubs). It's insane. But it's a fact. These drinks didn't exist 30 years ago. If you got tired you drank a cup of coffee, or else took a nap. But today, just swallow something tailor made to get you going again. And don't worry, you'll be just fine.

It's no wonder you have depressed people taking whatever a doctor prescribes for them. And do so without questioning it. And in the process are offing themselves left and right as a direct result. I'm surprised it's not worse. Which it will get before it gets better.... If it ever does.

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/09/18 07:00 PM

By your comment even 40+ yrs of insomnia wasn't enough for you. That sounds very sketchy but whatever. Your blanket take-no-prisoners condemnation of prescription sleeping aids reveals your own rigid thinking. Not all become "physically & psychology dependent" from their use. Not even close. Further, how would YOU know anything regarding such effects & dependencies since you never tried a single one despite being described five? Why brag about being prescribed five? In light of this, making such a statement is absurd.

Ditto for "prescription pain killers". First, they're not all in a single drug class. Second, not everyone who takes them becomes addicted. Third, you're (fortunately) not king of the hill, nor in a position of power to determine what choices are available to others. Fourth, not everyone shares your fear of medications. Your rant is just more rigid, B&W thinking. Do you also decline Novocain before dental work?

I've taken both Ambien and prescription pain meds, and muscle relaxants when necessary. No 'zombie' walking. No visual nor aural hallucinations. No weird dreams. No drama. Do I need them everyday? No. Am I addicted? No. Did they help? Absolutely!

You see not everyone exhibits an addictive personality, nor do ALL humans have the SAME response to these and other medications. Pharmacology isn't that simple nor are people nor is Life.

While entitled to your own opinion, you're not entitled to your own facts.

Give it a rest and give the rest of us a break............

We as a society are becoming weaker, and far less self sufficient. We are always looking for something, or someone else to blame when things don't pan out in our lives. Today more than ever before, we want the easy solutions that always seem to come from a bottle. Be it for depression, weight loss, sleeplessness, or not having enough energy. We search for a pill to swallow, or something to drink that will "cure it" quickly and effortlessly on our part.

I've lived with insomnia for well over 40 years. (Look at the time of my posts in regards to my time zone if you doubt that). I have had numerous doctors over the years who wanted to, and in fact did, prescribe me with every prescription sleep aid known to man. Ambien, Amitriptyline, Lunesta, Restoril, Halcion. Name it and they wrote me for it at one time or another. All in order to "help me". I never had a single one of them filled.

Why? Because prescription sleep aids are nothing but a short term solution to a long term problem. And you don't have to be a doctor to know this. It's common sense. You become physically and psychologically dependent on them. Then you have an even bigger problem. Same with prescription pain killers. I've had them prescribed to me after orthopedic knee surgery, (2). Inner ear surgery. And 2 hernias. All of which were very painful. I took them for a few days, and flushed what was left and lived with the pain. It wasn't easy, believe me. Most people take them all, and refill them until they no longer can. That is asking to become addicted. Proof is today opiate pain medication is one of the most abused drugs in this country. Prescription or otherwise. Thousands die every year.

It was very hard to do the things I outlined above. But I knew by not taking them, I would be better off in the long run. Today in many cases, we are discovering the cure is worse than the disease. The problem is by the time we discover it, it becomes too late. The mess that is required to be cleaned up is even bigger. All of this can be laid at the doorstep of a society that has become weaker.

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/09/18 08:40 PM

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
By your comment even 40+ yrs of insomnia wasn't enough for you. That sounds very sketchy but whatever. Your blanket take-no-prisoners condemnation of prescription sleeping aids reveals your own rigid thinking. Not all become "physically & psychology dependent" from their use. Not even close.

It isn't a question of it, "being enough for me". It cannot be cured with prescription sleeping pills. If it could insomnia would be non existent by now. And I really don't care if it sounds "sketchy" to you if I don't accept a B.S. "cure" by taking them. It is easier to deal with it. Not to mention safer.

It's a proven fact we are proceeding down the wrong path with prescription drugs in this country. We are becoming a nation that is consuming prescription drugs at a very high rate. Addiction to anti depressants, prescription pain medication, and sleep aids are off the chart. It is far worse today then it was just a decade ago. Just because a little is good, doesn't mean more is better, and too much is just enough.

Further, how would YOU know anything regarding such effects & dependencies since you never tried a single one despite being described five?

I can read a newspaper. Do your own research. This information is out there. The physical and mental destruction being caused by the over prescription of these drugs is everywhere. How many people have to die before you awaken from your slumber and realize it? Perhaps you should put the bottle down long enough to come out of your coma.

Ditto for "prescription pain killers". First, they're not all in a single drug class. Second, not everyone who takes them becomes addicted. Third, you're (fortunately) not king of the hill, nor in a position of power to determine what choices are available to others. Fourth, not everyone shares your fear of medications.

I don't "fear medications". But by you denying the obvious with your whole, "all is well" attitude, you are being flat out ignorant.

"From 1999 to 2016, more than 200,000 people died in the U.S. from overdoses related to prescription opioids. Overdose deaths involving prescription opioids were five times higher in 2016 than 1999."

https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/data/overdose.html

Do you think this is all happening because people aren't becoming addicted?

So you like facts? Well here are some that you need to smarten up and absorb.

https://www.drugfreeworld.org/drugfacts/prescription/abuse-international-statistics.html

"Every day in the US, 2,500 youth (12 to 17) abuse a prescription pain reliever for the first time."

"Prescription drug abuse causes the largest percentage of deaths from drug overdosing."

"Depressants, opioids and antidepressants are responsible for more overdose deaths (45%) than cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine and amphetamines (39%) combined."

"Of the 1.4 million drug-related emergency room admissions in 2005, 598,542 were associated with abuse of pharmaceuticals alone or with other drugs."

But let's not worry, because they work good for some people. Wake up! And as you can tell be the dates, most of this information is over a decade old. It has only gotten worse, much worse since then. So you will have to spare me if I don't buy into your attempt at trying to blow sunshine up everyone's rear, about how all of this really isn't a problem. And how wonderful all of this stuff is working on our society. Listening to people with your attitude, gives a good indication of why it's happening.

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/09/18 08:46 PM

Why? Because prescription sleep aids are nothing but a short term solution to a long term problem.

I drink Sleepytime Extra. It's not a narcotic.
Posted By: Warstud

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/09/18 08:50 PM

Look at all of these so called "Energy Drinks". They are for sale everywhere. Red Bull is a multi billion dollar corporation. Monster, Rock Star, NOS, 5 Hour, and literally dozens more. They are nothing but massive overdoses of sugar and caffeine. And we thought Mountain Dew was bad. Talk to any cardiologist and they will tell you they are among the absolute worst things you can possibly drink. It doesn't matter. People buy them by the trainload.

There are people who can't get through the day without them. They even mix them with alcohol. (Red Bull and vodka is a very popular drink in a lot of clubs). It's insane. But it's a fact. These drinks didn't exist 30 years ago. If you got tired you drank a cup of coffee, or else took a nap. But today, just swallow something tailor made to get you going again. And don't worry, you'll be just fine.

It's no wonder you have depressed people taking whatever a doctor prescribes for them. And do so without questioning it. And in the process are offing themselves left and right as a direct result. I'm surprised it's not worse. Which it will get before it gets better.... If it ever does.

Good Point !

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/09/18 08:58 PM

Originally Posted By: onetwoothreee
I drink Sleepytime Extra. It's not a narcotic.

I've tried that. (The Sleepytime Tea that is). Along with Melatonin. It has only a very marginal effect. I usually don't have an issue with falling asleep. It's staying asleep. I rarely do for more than an hour or 2 at a time. I've gotten to the point now where I won't lay in bed awake for more than 30 minutes. After that I'll just get up and do something.

Admittingly all of this is much easier to deal with since I've been retired. My time is my own. If I'm up for most of the night, I can take a nap whenever I feel like it during the day. This obviously was not possible when I was working. I had to offset the effect of a sleepless night by drinking coffee all day. Now I just have a cup or 2 in the morning, and that's it.

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/09/18 09:04 PM

http://www.parapluesch.de/whiskystore/anstalt_kore.html
Posted By: spasm3

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/09/18 09:05 PM

For insomnia make sure your vitamin D levels are not low. Many people are. I have to take 10,000u a day. For many people 5,000u is enough. Have your levels checked before and some months after dosing. I take vitamin d with a meal with some fat, its a fat soluble vitamin.

I don't buy into the fad supplements, but some can help. I take GABA , an amino acid, neuro-transmitter( it occurs in your body anyway) with vitamin b-6 before bed. I'd had insomnia for over 30 years. I get it on amazon.

Tried melatonin, don't want benzo's or narcs to sleep. The GABA and b-6 combo is the only thing that has worked for me.

Research it for yourself.

Re: Anthony Bourdain - RIP - 06/10/18 02:28 PM

This is unbelievable. We are quickly becoming a nation of prescription drug addicts.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worl...m=.caaa59fc096b

"Last year, the opioid epidemic killed 42,000 people, more than died of AIDS in any year at the height of the crisis."

"In the United States, 50,000 opioid doses are taken daily per every million residents. That is nearly 40 percent higher than the rate in Germany and Canada, and double the rate in Austria and Denmark. It is four times higher than in Britain, and six times higher than in France and Portugal. As the BBC put it, ďAmerican doctors prescribe ó a lot."

"The U.S. health-care system is different from other countries' in other ways, too. There is pressure to address pain, and a pervasive attitude that everything is fixable. As a result, doctors in the United States are much more likely to provide painkillers than are doctors in other countries."
Posted By: doitmyself

Re: Anthony Bourdain - RIP - 06/10/18 02:56 PM

billt460,

Once you accept that societal collapse is a natural cycle, you can relax a bit and just continue to make your own choices to live the way you feel most comfortable with. It really is that simple.
Posted By: Papa Bear

Re: Anthony Bourdain - RIP - 06/10/18 03:36 PM

Every problem has the solution built in.
Usually the solution is dressed in contemplation/awareness/work/change/commitment/etc for people and societies
This is VERY painful to admit, adopt and accept.. and many choose alcohol/drugs for the quick escape of doing/not doing the above solution.

Re: Anthony Bourdain - RIP - 06/10/18 04:05 PM

Don't forget there are BIG $$$$$$ incentives to prescribe pills for everyone.

Watch "The Medicated Child" on YouTube a documentary of a hyperactive child prescribed pills and it had a domino effect of bad results. Doctor kept on prescribing more mind meds until the kid turned into a zombie.

The billion$$$$ of meds given to children are disgusting and sad. frown

Posted By: andyd

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/10/18 06:55 PM

The breast cancer and 40 odd yrs of depression. Early on, I was prescribed 40 mg Citalopram. MY attitude turned 180' and I'm loving life.

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/11/18 09:56 PM

By your comment even 40+ yrs of insomnia wasn't enough for you. That sounds very sketchy but whatever. Your blanket take-no-prisoners condemnation of prescription sleeping aids reveals your own rigid thinking. Not all become "physically & psychology dependent" from their use. Not even close.
It isn't a question of it, "being enough for me". It cannot be cured with prescription sleeping pills. If it could insomnia would be non existent by now. And I really don't care if it sounds "sketchy" to you if I don't accept a B.S. "cure" by taking them. It is easier to deal with it. Not to mention safer.

It's a proven fact we are proceeding down the wrong path with prescription drugs in this country. We are becoming a nation that is consuming prescription drugs at a very high rate. Addiction to anti depressants, prescription pain medication, and sleep aids are off the chart. It is far worse today then it was just a decade ago. Just because a little is good, doesn't mean more is better, and too much is just enough.
Sleep aids are just that. They are not a cure, nor are they a vaccine; they are an aid. They are not prescribed as a cure; rather an aid. Obviously, you fail to grasp the distinction. Your premise is clearly mistaken. No doubt you'll have to read my reply over & over for the distinction to sink in, if at all.

Your second point reveals you read way too much mass-media and believe it as gospel. Once again you reveal your deep level of ignorance regarding pharamacology. Anti-depressants are not addictive. No drug is guaranteed to work in all cases, nor for all patients. Efficacy is based on long-term medical studies and statistics. To believe otherwise displays profound naivete . Further, not all who take opioids, narcotics and others instantly become addicted to them, much less for life. It is just not that simple. Clearly, you are not capable of knowing the difference while at the same time aggressively promoting your own ignorance.

Further, how would YOU know anything regarding such effects & dependencies since you never tried a single one despite being described five?
I can read a newspaper. Do your own research. This information is out there. The physical and mental destruction being caused by the over prescription of these drugs is everywhere. How many people have to die before you awaken from your slumber and realize it? Perhaps you should put the bottle down long enough to come out of your coma.
So I should "awaken", "put the bottle down" and "come out of my coma" when you admit to having no experience with the meds in question? "You can read a newspaper? Excuse me? That's a suitable answer? In what generation? Therefore everything you read is true? Factual? Gospel? Too bad you are not at-all skeptical of the mass media as you are of the meds in question.

Displacement, avoiding the question, ad-hominem attacks, B&W thinking and projection are poor form. What fits you well is the maxim "For He That Wields a Hammer, Everything appears a Nail. Except you keep wacking your fingers..

Ditto for "prescription pain killers". First, they're not all in a single drug class. Second, not everyone who takes them becomes addicted. Third, you're (fortunately) not king of the hill, nor in a position of power to determine what choices are available to others. Fourth, not everyone shares your fear of medications.
I don't "fear medications". But by you denying the obvious with your whole, "all is well" attitude, you are being flat out ignorant.

"From 1999 to 2016, more than 200,000 people died in the U.S. from overdoses related to prescription opioids. Overdose deaths involving prescription opioids were five times higher in 2016 than 1999."

https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/data/overdose.html

Do you think this is all happening because people aren't becoming addicted?
Bill, Bill, Bill...you are not listening nor thinking. Your scatter-gun approach is revealing you for a fool. You are indeed a man filled with fear. In addition, you are also paranoid. Your problem is you don't see it. I am not the one in denial, you are. Nor have I said "all is well". Further, I am not "flat-out-ignorant". Yet you have revealed your ignorance, over & over, here in a public forum. In that aspect, you are indeed quite competent.

Obviously you need further proof of your own ignorance regarding pharmacology. Your above quote is in reference to opioids. Neither anti-depressants nor the sleep aids in question are classified as opioids. If all opioids were banned, these drugs would still be available. Go look it up. While doing so, learn to make a valid point.

So you like facts? Well here are some that you need to smarten up and absorb.

https://www.drugfreeworld.org/drugfacts/prescription/abuse-international-statistics.html

"Every day in the US, 2,500 youth (12 to 17) abuse a prescription pain reliever for the first time."

"Prescription drug abuse causes the largest percentage of deaths from drug overdosing."

"Depressants, opioids and antidepressants are responsible for more overdose deaths (45%) than cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine and amphetamines (39%) combined."

"Of the 1.4 million drug-related emergency room admissions in 2005, 598,542 were associated with abuse of pharmaceuticals alone or with other drugs."

But let's not worry, because they work good for some people. Wake up! And as you can tell be the dates, most of this information is over a decade old. It has only gotten worse, much worse since then. So you will have to spare me if I don't buy into your attempt at trying to blow sunshine up everyone's rear, about how all of this really isn't a problem. And how wonderful all of this stuff is working on our society. Listening to people with your attitude, gives a good indication of why it's happening.

Once again Bill like a poor Archer (and a lousy debator) you keep missing the target and blaming the messenger for your own poor performance. You are still not entitled to your own facts. Nor are you entitled to mis-using what you have mis-read without question...or debate. Evidently your environment allowed this to go unchecked. You became even more lazy because of it. Now you bristle at being challenged. Too bad...

Your above "quotes" reveal more scatter-shooting, now condemning ALL PRESCRIPTION DRUGS from a site whose goal is a drug free world??? That is indeed a dam-wide-net you are helping to throw. Originally we were only talking about two drugs yet you offer "facts" condemning ALL PRESCRIPTION DRUGS? Not only are you ignorant of the facts, you now triple down on such. Again you have no personal experience regarding these meds. Again, you label them as "cures" when they are not, nor prescribed as such.

Your last paragraph indicates your own high level of paranoia and fear. This paranoia isn't grounded in reality but rather delusion. Small wonder you are a 40+ year chronic insomniac unable to sleep for more than an hour or two. Your own anxious, constantly-agitated nervous system just will not allow it. Clearly you are unable to separate fact from fiction. You offer "quotes" that don't support your points, then expand on your desperate attempt by including all prescribed pharmaceuticals.

This is indeed a fair assesment given your responses.
Posted By: wwillson

Re: Two celebrities commit suicide in a week - 06/12/18 01:40 AM

enough bickering
© 2019 Bob Is The Oil Guy