Home

kids these days and birthday parties...

Posted By: pandus13

kids these days and birthday parties... - 06/07/18 05:59 PM

Hello BITOGers,

I give up!

This is the second year in a row where me +wife prepare something at home, and almost nobody touches them...

This year:
-home made ham+cheese+butter+bun sandwiches; No GO! only about 6 from 20+ kids
-home made ham+cheese+butter+Gluten-free bun sandwiches; GO! 2 from 2 kids
-no cake this year!
-store bought heavy glazed cupcakes: GO! (everybody had different colors tongues from the topping)
-home-made Gluten-free cupcakes + Gluten-free glazing: GO; 2 of 2 kids

Last year:
-home made finger foods: maybe; 10 kids out of 20+
-home-made gluten-free cupcakes, no glazing or topping: NO GO! maybe 4 kids out of 20+; The rest just turn them upside down and press them to smush!

The fruit-gummie snacks and veggie straws where a hit! Go figure...

So beside Pizza and bad food coloring cakes or cupcakes, what are my options with Today's youth?
What did you see at kids parties you where present....
Posted By: SirTanon

Re: kids these days and birthday parties... - 06/07/18 06:01 PM

Cake and various drinks. Oh, and pizzas if it was a full lunch kind of party.

Too many people are going too nuts about "gluten free" nowadays.
Posted By: Quattro Pete

Re: kids these days and birthday parties... - 06/07/18 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By: pandus13
So beside Pizza and bad food coloring cakes or cupcakes, what are my options with Today's youth?
I think that about sums it up.
Posted By: Reddy45

Re: kids these days and birthday parties... - 06/07/18 06:06 PM

Kids don't really seem to care for 'meals'. They like candy and soda for obvious reasons, but I would argue that kids have it good enough already. Empty calories on top of their already robust meals at home just contribute to the obesity epidemic.

Instead of food, can you book an event at a trampoline place or a indoor climbing gym? Give them a few hours to burn calories instead of consume. smile

Re: kids these days and birthday parties... - 06/07/18 06:07 PM

Originally Posted By: SirTanon

In my case it was warranted:
-1 kid celiac (the auto-imune genetic version of gluten/wheat allergy)
-1 kid with gluten+dairy allergy

My kids school is nuts free (not just peanuts) and berry free (strawberry, etc etc) because of kids with BIG reaction...

Sorry, not just fashion diet.
Thank you for understanding!
Posted By: PandaBear

Re: kids these days and birthday parties... - 06/07/18 06:10 PM

Kids have always been like this, as far as I can remember. Seriously, the last thing kids want to eat in a birthday party is ham and cheese bun sandwich when cup cakes are around, that's normal.

Re: kids these days and birthday parties... - 06/07/18 06:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Kids don't really seem to care for 'meals'. They like candy and soda for obvious reasons, but I would argue that kids have it good enough already. Empty calories on top of their already robust meals at home just contribute to the obesity epidemic.

Instead of food, can you book an event at a trampoline place or a indoor climbing gym? Give them a few hours to burn calories instead of consume. smile

for some reason, the "get moving" venues this year where booked 3-4 months in advance this year...(4 years ago, pirate-theme park; 3 years ago, local nature-themed park)
so smaller number and craft place this year....
But them making "slime" was a boom. Kids and getting dirty.... Yay

Re: kids these days and birthday parties... - 06/07/18 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Kids have always been like this, as far as I can remember. Seriously, the last thing kids want to eat in a birthday party is ham and cheese bun sandwich when cup cakes are around, that's normal.

Funny, I just saw your signature...
Had 4 kids who the parents forgot to tell us they are vegans/vegetarians.... Oh well, veggie straws and fruit-gummies where OK...

Re: kids these days and birthday parties... - 06/07/18 06:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I think that about sums it up.

Yes, I figure...seems the only option.

At least i give them water, not sugar loaded juices/pop.
Posted By: Huie83

Re: kids these days and birthday parties... - 06/07/18 06:22 PM

We default to pizza and cupcakes, works every time.

We've also tried other things in the past ( hot dogs, burgers etc) and they never work out. Kids all eat different at home and pizza is pretty universal.
Posted By: supton

Re: kids these days and birthday parties... - 06/07/18 06:51 PM

We have a too-small house, so our "parties" have been small affairs. Pizza and cake--nothing fancy here.

Hey, if I went to a party I'd be pretty content with that, at that age or until just recently (gave up on cake, pizza not far behind). I have nothing against fancy foods but I'm more of a steak and potatoes kind of guy.
Posted By: SatinSilver

Re: kids these days and birthday parties... - 06/07/18 07:15 PM

Beer and wings. smile
Posted By: PandaBear

Re: kids these days and birthday parties... - 06/07/18 07:54 PM

Funny, I just saw your signature...
Had 4 kids who the parents forgot to tell us they are vegans/vegetarians.... Oh well, veggie straws and fruit-gummies where OK...

Yeah, the world is more "diverse" these days. When ordering food you have to make sure at least 1 or 2 main courses are vegan. Meat eaters can eat vegans when they run out of meat, but not the other way around.
Posted By: Bud

Re: kids these days and birthday parties... - 06/07/18 07:55 PM

I never met a kid who didn't like pizza. Now, ham and cheese on a buttered bun, that would be a no go.
Posted By: Reddy45

Re: kids these days and birthday parties... - 06/07/18 08:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Reddy45

for some reason, the "get moving" venues this year where booked 3-4 months in advance this year...(4 years ago, pirate-theme park; 3 years ago, local nature-themed park)
so smaller number and craft place this year....
But them making "slime" was a boom. Kids and getting dirty.... Yay

For next year, if arranging transportation isn't a problem then maybe visit a local public park/outdoor thing? Most of those go heavily unvisited and would love to have a large crowd come in to look at various exhibits.
Posted By: ZZman

Re: kids these days and birthday parties... - 06/07/18 08:18 PM

Pizza, pop, cake, ice cream. Why change a winning combo?

Re: kids these days and birthday parties... - 06/07/18 08:42 PM

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Pizza, pop, cake, ice cream. Why change a winning combo?

Most kids at the parties I've been, they will blow the candles on the cake and maybe eat 2-3 kid bites from it if at all...
Cupcakes seem to be the most recent trend: 2-3 colors topping, all swirly, 1 cheap chinese toy plop on top, some star or other shape solid sugar sprinkles...
Posted By: vavavroom

Re: kids these days and birthday parties... - 06/08/18 03:13 AM

I am lucky that my kid is not a gluten-free, lactose-intolerant, vegan soyboy. I took him out for his birthday (16 now) dinner to the Texas Roadhouse in Tracy yesterday. He had the New York strip steak, house salad, and loaded mashed potato. I gotta be more careful with what I eat because I don't burn this stuff off as he does.
Posted By: Shannow

Re: kids these days and birthday parties... - 06/08/18 05:49 AM

Yep, people love being sick, and hopping on the Celiac bandwagon.

Not sure how they are developing an immune system disease to be trendy.

Re: kids these days and birthday parties... - 06/08/18 12:52 PM

Originally Posted By: vavavroom
I am lucky that my kid is not a gluten-free, lactose-intolerant, vegan soyboy. I took him out for his birthday (16 now) dinner to the Texas Roadhouse in Tracy yesterday. He had the New York strip steak, house salad, and loaded mashed potato. I gotta be more careful with what I eat because I don't burn this stuff off as he does.

"meat is the best veggie?"

Re: kids these days and birthday parties... - 06/08/18 12:54 PM

I try to be a vegetarian once removed, only eating vegan meat.

Re: kids these days and birthday parties... - 06/08/18 01:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Yep, people love being sick, and hopping on the Celiac bandwagon.

Not sure how they are developing an immune system disease to be trendy.

Shannow, mate,
I get you.
Have wife manage to make GF pancakes for the kiddos?
How are they adjusting to GF lifestyle?
Any problem at school/school lunch?

Re: kids these days and birthday parties... - 06/08/18 01:06 PM

Thanks for checking...
Family is going fine.
daughter (15) is the cultural leader in understanding what's good/not good.

school canteen invited wife to work a day a week to help with ensuring that what they are offering as GF is as advertised.

I made a batch of coconut flour mini donuts today...and threw them out. I'm a better engineer than pastry chef (at least that's what I tell myself)

Re: kids these days and birthday parties... - 06/08/18 01:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Thanks for checking...
Family is going fine.
daughter (15) is the cultural leader in understanding what's good/not good.

school canteen invited wife to work a day a week to help with ensuring that what they are offering as GF is as advertised.

I made a batch of coconut flour mini donuts today...and threw them out. I'm a better engineer than pastry chef (at least that's what I tell myself)

Don't worry, it will be a lot of trial an error.
Get the little missy to follow some of the gf cooking threads over the internet. the target is the ones who cook from scratch, with no ready mixes!

Try equal parts of coconut, almond, rice flour, and egg or quinoa flour and some oil/melted butter. pinch of salt, pinch of baking soda and give it a test.
could use some lemon peel + vanilla to "cut" the baking soda taste...
Some cornstarch could help if local supply could guarantee no cross-contamination and if kiddos don't react to corn...
Posted By: vavavroom

Re: kids these days and birthday parties... - 06/10/18 03:54 AM

Ha-ha, not exactly. We generally eat a pretty balanced diet. I have noticed that many of my sonís friends canít eat one thing or another or almost anything. Last week, one wouldnít eat lettuce because itís full of nitrates. Obviously, there are people who have problems with certain foods, but when three out of five kids sit at my table and say they canít have this and that, I am wondering. That there is an increase in autoimmune disorders I do not dispute. Kids have been growing up increasingly sheltered from exposure to potential natural allergens that are required to build a strong immune system, but they have also been exposed to ever more chemicals that can trigger sensitivities. While I have no proof, I suspect that many of the kids I have come across were forced or voluntarily hopped on a trendy bandwagon that says lactose-free, gluten-free, soy-only etc. I know many people at work who always go on the latest restricted foods diets and they make their kids do the same. Thatís why I said I was glad my kid was not one of them. If he had a sensitivity to anything, I would, of course, encourage him to avoid exposure.
© 2019 Bob Is The Oil Guy