Point and Shoot, or DSLR for Hawaiian vacation....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently the fiancee and I both have iPhone 6's for cameras and we would like a dedicated camera for our upcoming Hawaiian honeymoon. I am researching point and shoot digital cameras vs DSLR cameras and both sides have valid points. The point and shoots are more convenient, while the DSLR provides better pictures. However, the DSLR's can be a pain to lug around.

If any of you have any recommendations on what you would do feel free to share. I don't want to spend more than $300 on a point and shoot, and no more than $450 on a DSLR.

I suggest something in between... a mirrorless camera such as Sony a6000.

Buy it early enough to give yourself a few weeks of practice before the trip.

The lenses make the camera and you won't get much more than the kit lens for your current budget.

If you buy Nikon you can use old Manual-focus lenses but the learning curve might be steep if you've never touched a camera before your memorable vacation.

A cheap P&S will be as good as the camera in your iphone. The iphone has pretty sophisticated post-processing and can take good pics in daylight. But when it gets dark-ish the little lens and tiny sensor simply won't capture enough photons to make a good pic.

The Nikon D3200/ D3300 with 18-55mm kit lens is a good starting point. If you want telephoto an old 70-210mm from the film era will get "stretched" an additional 1.5x by the smaller DX sensor in these cameras.

If you want inspiration read kenrockwell.com . He's kind of a hack but writes well IMO.

DSLR's are for those that enjoy and understand utilizing the ability of the camera. Point and shoots CAN take nearly identical quality photos....but not likely at the $300 limit. A very decent mega zoom generally makes a great travel camera...but expect to pay about $500 or more for quality and features.

Im in the same boat, and Im leaning towards the Sony 5100, theres some places that sell refurbished for about 350, otherwise new is around 450. My friend has the same one and loves it, actually bought it for his recent trip to Hawaii as well.

I have a bunch of Nikon gear. You can get the refurbished Nikon D3400 for around $460 or less with 2 lenses, the 18-55 and the 70-300mm. I have the 70-300 also, but don't use it much, I prefer the 18-105 although they have an 18-140mm now. Best all around is an 18-200mm, but that's kinda pricy.

Check out this Canon SX/60 superzoom. And look it up on YouTube. It's amazing. It's point-and-shoot or fully adjustable, and it shoots videos. The SX zoom videos on YouTube will blow you away.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/can...1/10325744.aspx

I have an SX/30. It's a few years old, but I have no need to update the thing. The 30 shoots 1080 videos, so the 60 certainly would.

I just realized that link is to the Canadian site (the search engine took me there automatically). It'd be cheaper in the States.

I brought a Nikon D50 with 18 -200 mm lens for a Hawaii vacation almost 10 years ago. I've owned a Nikon D300 and Nikon D7100. For a recent Jamaica vacation I ended up with a Nikon 1. Its a good choice for your intended use and would recommend the camera.

How experienced are you with (d)SLR cameras? I wouldn't want to be trying new things on a vacation. Unless you have the experience and want to pursue photography as a hobby, I think a good point and shoot would be great. I also don't think you'll get too much with a $450 dslr.

I'd recommend a rugged waterproof point and shoot camera, like a Olympus TG-5. We have a TG-4 that we use when traveling. Works great, don't have to worry about dropping it, and it's fun to be able to take pictures under water.

I have a older Panasonic LUMIX point and shoot that takes very good pictures. Slip it in the pocket when you need.

A big camera hanging around your neck is a target for thieves. Take that also into consideration.

I have a few cameras including a DSLR and a high end point & shoot. I think I'd rather take a high end point & shoot as they do a really good job
compared to a DSLR minus shooting sports, bokeh portraits and a few other things that wont matter.

Forget the wide range 18W200 viscosity lens as you'll have soft corners, distortion, chromatic aberration and lens flare issues that can ruin a pic that may have came out better if you just used your phone instead. But if you wanna switch from a wide angle shot and 3 seconds later zoom in on a bird 100 yards away, I guess the 18W200 lens is ok.

Also consider that the major brands have their own color palette. I like Canon for people pics and Nikon for landscapes.
I'd probably rather lug around a Canon Powershot S120 myself.

Have a newer Panasonic LUMIX and like it very much. It can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it. Had my Nikon stolen and honestly prefer the lumix.

We took a DSLR and a point/shoot to US in 2010.

I found the former quite stressful when trying to capture the moment rather than the perfect staged shot.

Could have been lack of experience...certainly not enough practice time...but I prefer the Powershot type theme.

I don't claim to be an expert. But after starting with SLR's 50 years ago and taking lots of pictures in that time: Don't waste much time on scenery. Take pictures of your wife and let the background be clear or blury..whatever. Don't spend bucks or worry about zoom. Its not necessary.

I went through many many thousands of slides in the last few years, determining which to digitize. Of the one thousand I kept they were all about kids/wife..shot fairly close. If I had to do it over...I would have cut that distance more. You can find a billion pictures of Hawaii/scenery. Your wife will not look like she is 10 years from now.

Get a decent P&S as EdwardC,Shannow, andrewg and PimTac suggested.

Last edited:
I find it quite stressful when I push the button on a P&S and it doesn't shoot, and it doesn't... then it does... but the shot is gone, and I have missed the picture I wanted to take.

Review your P&S very, very carefully. Time to first shot after power on, average time delay from button press to shot, longest delay. Or, just bring a DSLR. Or one of the new mirrorless options.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
I find it quite stressful when I push the button on a P&S and it doesn't shoot, and it doesn't... then it does... but the shot is gone, and I have missed the picture I wanted to take.

Review your P&S very, very carefully. Time to first shot after power on, average time delay from button press to shot, longest delay. Or, just bring a DSLR. Or one of the new mirrorless options.

This is true. "Shutter lag". A DSLR performs like any other precision machine that behaves (nearly) instantly to user input. A pleasure.

A DSLR is capable of technically superior photos than a P&S, but IMO if you never use it off "green box" or "scene modes" you're missing 90% of the advantage of having it.

I couldn't tell you how much Nikon equipment I have between film SLRs, DSLRs, and lenses. I basically use 4 DSLRs-my D800 for general purpose use most of the time, my D300s or D2X for action, and my D200 for Ebay. All four of these lack any sort of "full auto" mode, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Depending on my mood, I'll use an F2AS(or some other F2), FM2N, F4, F5, or F100. The F2s and FM2 only have a light meter and tell you if the set exposure is "correct" while the others are a bit more sophisticated.

Personally, unless I wanted to take the time to learn how to use a DSLR or mirrorless as a broader hobby, I'd take a simple camera and just focus on enjoying the trip.

Originally Posted By: bunnspecial
Personally, unless I wanted to take the time to learn how to use a DSLR or mirrorless as a broader hobby, I'd take a simple camera and just focus on enjoying the trip.

Great advice.

If you've never owned a DSLR, a Hawaii vacation is not a time to learn how to use one. You'll get frustrated, you'll miss some shots, and you'll forget why you went there in the first place. Sure, you can put a DSLR in full-auto mode, but then you might as well just use a P&S or your iPhone for that.

Originally Posted By: bcossa2001
Have a newer Panasonic LUMIX and like it very much. It can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it. Had my Nikon stolen and honestly prefer the lumix.

I have one too, a mirror-less Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3. It's smaller than a DSLR and yet takes very good pictures. The pictures have enough detail that you can blow up a small part. It has a built in flash and a useful viewfinder. I often use it in auto mode. It came with a 14-42 lens which is a good compromise. I also bought a Panasonic Lumix H-XO25 single focus 25 lens - design by Leica.

The single focus lens is quite high quality and makes for a smaller package, but I usually use the 14-42 as it's more adaptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back