Hello From Mississippi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy y'all, I'm new here from Liberty, MS.
I like to race, build engines, hunt, and collect firearms.
I have been lurking for awhile and just reading a little bit from each forum. The Passenger oil forum and oil filter forum are very interesting.
I don't like CAFE telling me what weight oil to use and I like to use Amsoil, M1, Purolator, and Bosch oil filters. I think if you change dino oil every 3-5K miles there's no reason to use synthetic oil. UNLESS, you want to use synthetic for long term drain intervals.
Glad to be here folks.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SwampRabbit
Howdy y'all, I'm new here from Liberty, MS.
I like to race, build engines, hunt, and collect firearms.
I have been lurking for awhile and just reading a little bit from each forum. The Passenger oil forum and oil filter forum are very interesting.
I don't like CAFE telling me what weight oil to use and I like to use Amsoil, M1, Purolator, and Bosch oil filters. I think if you change dino oil every 3-5K miles there's no reason to use synthetic oil. UNLESS, you want to use synthetic for long term drain intervals.
Glad to be here folks.
smile.gif

Well , here is my guess .

I am an old duffer & favor shorter Oil Change Intervals . So that is not my reason for using synthetic oil . I try for 55% and 5% on the Oil Life Monitor .

Our little Red Chevy Sonic 1.8l 4 banger is specified GM's Dexos spec , all of which are apparently at least a synthetic blend . So my advice is to at least meet the manurfacturer's spec . I have always used a full synthetic ( or , at least , that is what the container label indicates ) .

Newer cars have all sorts of bells & whistles , like Variable Valve Timing , that may use engine oil as hydraulic fluid , in addition to using it as a lubricant . Important to keep those parts and oil passages as clean as possible . I expect VVT repairs would be expensive ?

Another thing I read about synthetic oil , it is said to flow better at cold temperatures . Living in Mississippi , that may not be as important issue for you . Personally , I live in a climate that it is not unusual to see temps from 0F to 100F .

My advice is to purchase oil / filters on sale , use good ( that meets manurfacturer's spec ) or better oil / filter and do not be shy about frequent oil changes . I try to tell the kids & grand kids , changing oil & filter is kind of like flushing the toilet .

Best of all to you , :)

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Do you own a pick up truck too?

As a matter of fact, I own 2. A 1998 Silverado Extra Cab with 47K miles, and a 1974 HILUX. That's what I'm going to put my 327 into.

Welcome. I grew up very close to you in SW Mississippi.
I really miss it sometimes. I’m living in TN now.

Hello SwampRabbit, I have a question.
Are you sure your Toy Truck is a Hilux?
My sister had a 1984 Toyota pickup and I did this or that to it during her ownership.
I have the nagging recollection that the "Hilux" name wasn't used here until 1986.

I am so unsure about this.

Doesn't really matter much....but is good to know for cataloging etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back