Where Might I Scavenge Packing Peanuts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need about a garbage bag full of those styrofoam packing peanuts. What type of business might take in the most shipments receivable that would have to deal with disposing of packaging stuff like this often. Hit up a couple contacts I know who have businesses but they both said they don't have any around right now. I'm not paying for the silly things when places are probably throwing them away left and right.
smile.gif

packing peanuts are rarely used anymore - I get daily shipments from numerous suppliers and most often they use recycled paper products, fedex/ups bubble mailers (they get them free), bubble wrap of various types, and foam injection custom packaging. I haven't had packing peanuts in a shipment in years. wish I could think of a business that still used them.

Two boxes, each containing a motorcycle hard bag (pannier). Each pannier encapsulated in bubble wrap but I need to buffer movement inside the box since the boxes are slightly over sized to the panniers. Peanuts seem the best option to keep them from rattling around in there. Also trying to keep expense down as I am covering shipping to the buyer:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4559835/Shipping_Gone_Wild

I'm going with US Postal Service, best price except Greyhound but The Dog has some gotta-do's that I'm not going to do given that they take upwards of two weeks to get it out west with too many bus changes and probably rough handling at each changeover.

Staples, Office Depot, UPS Store, and almost every city has some business that caters to business. Try searching for someone local that sells cardboard boxes in bulk, they will have quantity sizes of packing materials.

Also what do you do locally with newsprint for recycling? Here there are areas with bins you can drop it off at; they are of course full of free packing material (there are also recycle bins at everyone's property, picked up by the City, but the drop-off bins are still used quite a bit).

Redneck custom packaging? Shoot a bunch of Great Stuff insulation foam into some garbage bags.

I still get them once in a while from old fashion businesses I buy from. I usually leave them in my local post office when I mail stuff at night and label them with "free peanuts" on it.

At work we ask vendors to not use them as our office area doing a lot of receiving and we end up with peanuts everywhere. It's even worse when they shred a little and start leaving little foam specks all over.

I hate packing peanuts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back