Streamlight Pro-Tac 1L-1AA a good light for wife?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would this be a good light for Everyday carry to slip into her purse or pocket? For those occasions looking for something in the dark or to supplement the Fox Labs pepper spray.

no because if its not for a flashaholic, a separate item of that size will be forgotten or lost. There is no specific issue with the light though.

Id suggest a 1xaaa keychain light that stays on the keychain, such as fenix e05.

and a larger form factor such as at least a 2aa form factor that stays in the car or glove and doesnt have mini buttons that the miniflashlights have. ideally a 18650 or 2xcr123 is a good size, but if you dont like those harder to get batteries there are aa models about the same size

Last edited:
I almost bought that light a few weeks ago but settled on an Olight S10R III (love it, btw). That Streamlight would make a fine EDC for your wife if she don't mind all the added functions. I love the multi-cell compatibility.

My personal favorite, non-flashaholic light is a Mini Mag Pro Led. Simple on/off twist with no flashing modes. I keep one in my car all the time. It may be bigger than she's wanting to carry though.

Originally Posted By: 2James1
Would this be a good light for Everyday carry to slip into her purse or pocket? For those occasions looking for something in the dark or to supplement the Fox Labs pepper spray.

To supplement the pepper spray in terms of a defense light?

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Originally Posted By: 2James1

To supplement the pepper spray in terms of a defense light?

Yes.

For simplicity, anything single mode. I know from giving too many expensive flashlights as gifts, that just about anything else goes unappreciated by anyone who hasn't spent at least an hour on CPF. Honestly, aside from having to check the tailcap and head every now and again to make sure they're tight, the new LED maglite solitaires have been the best friend of most of my family members. Before that, with dozens of lights gifted over the years, the only ones anyone can seem to find are the those that were attached to something important.

As far as anything super bright for self-defense use, I would recommend something larger, and again single mode. Strobelights don't blind attackers into submission and I wish flashlight companies would stop including it.

FWIW, I love my Protac - i just can't find the darn thing.... It's only ever lived on CR123's, but it's nice to have the ability to use AA's.

Last edited:
I would give one more point of advice, that if you don't care about the non-tactical cool factor, a non-metal flashlight has many benefits.

Metal tends to is either cold or hot to the touch, accidentally scratches or ding other things in the purse or bag or if dropped. The metal ones also are pretty much always round and roll prone, typically the anti-roll is provided by more metal clips that make them uncomfortable to hold or digs into things.
If it comes to it, one can also hold a polymer light via the teeth more comfortably than a metal light.

streamlight has a lot of polymer models, uwkinetic's 4aa is a really great formfactor although the light itself is way outdated. Surefire has G2 line that also is plastic

Last edited:
To be a defense light one would have to employ actually using physical means in defense (crenelated head part of the light in a striking motion) or using the light emitting from the device as a defense (aka strobe).

Which is the preference?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back