That was close! (IRMA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Safe and sound folks, thanks for keeping us in your thoughts... The blue dot was the location of my house in reference to irma. Our thoughts go out to those less fortunate.

I have a friend who lives close to there but stayed up north during the event. Can you tell us if there was any major flooding around Kendall?

We stayed hunkerd down. No flooding or storm surge near us, just very strong winds. The most hair raising part was the various tornado alerts throughout the night in our area. Damage to structures was minimal, power loss was only 10 hours vs two weeks during Andrew. We're counting our lucky stars.

Talked to my sister in Orlando just as the eyewall remanants were passing late at night, they still had power, but it was out this morning.

i got a few texts this morning from Florida and earlier today from Outside Charleston saying they were getting hammered, but now none of my Texts are going through to these areas.
Whether their batteries are dead or the cell towers ran out of gas for their generators and backup battery are done, well One or more of those three I suspect.

Whole bunch of misery incurred from ths storm, and for many/most, it has just begun.

Friend in east Melbourne had 26 inches of rain as of 8 this morning. That's as much as I get here in MN in a year. Phone -voice wont go thru but can do texts

I rode it out here at home with my wife and her uncle, he lives in a retirement trailer park which was definitely not a safe place to be. It was pretty hairy at times, we had 60 to 70 mph winds and 10 inches of rain. We had plenty of supplies, water, lanterns, batteries, canned food on hand but we were very lucky. We never lost power, the lights flickered a few times but stayed on all night. We were also very grateful there was no damage to our house. In my neighborhood we mostly just had tree branches broken and there were leaves all over the road and in everyone's yard. My neighbor lost a lot of palm branches. We went out about 6 pm and I was glad that most all damage I saw was minimal. I think it took out every billboard in Clermont though. We were extremely lucky. It could have been a lot worse. There are still lots of folks without power.

Thank God. We are in the panhandle so all we got were a couple short rain showers and some wind.

Wemay, Really glad to hear your well. Thank you for the advice you provided last Friday.

My daughter was in zone c mandatory evacuation about 3 miles from you and " hunkered down " with an FIU
Professor, his wife and 2 little boys at his home in Miramar northwest of Miami from Friday morning until this morning.
When she returned to her apt. this morning when curfew lifted she was met with downed branches and leaves piled up in her parking lot. No inundation / flood water in her parking lot and her windows were not blown in. She said several of her neighbors sheltered in place. Shocking yet she is Thankful.

Good stuff - not a good situation for many - but having some of the "dirty side" being offshore while it slows down is a good thing - that's the storm side that beat Houston down a few days back ...

Originally Posted By: wemay
We stayed hunkerd down. No flooding or storm surge near us, just very strong winds. The most hair raising part was the various tornado alerts throughout the night in our area. Damage to structures was minimal, power loss was only 10 hours vs two weeks during Andrew. We're counting our lucky stars.

Luckily Irma stayed near Cuba much longer than originally estimated. That caused the hurricane to head West.... along with the high pressure East of Florida.

Dade and Broward counties dodged a bullet.

Glad to hear that you rode it out safely, wemay.
Seems like my family members in Jacksonville came out OK, too, that's a load off my mind.

I did not escape Irma's wrath. She rained on me this morning g as I was reinstalling a newly assembled strut into my Avalon (see profanity thread for details)

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

Luckily Irma stayed near Cuba much longer than originally estimated. That caused the hurricane to head West.... along with the high pressure East of Florida.

I know some Cubans who would beg to differ about that being "lucky".

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

I know some Cubans who would beg to differ about that being "lucky".
Cuba proper has weathered some extremely terrifying storms for a long while. They are good at it too. Unlike some other nations in CARICOM!

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight
Talked to my sister in Orlando just as the eyewall remanants were passing late at night, they still had power, but it was out this morning.

i got a few texts this morning from Florida and earlier today from Outside Charleston saying they were getting hammered, but now none of my Texts are going through to these areas.
Whether their batteries are dead or the cell towers ran out of gas for their generators and backup battery are done, well One or more of those three I suspect.

Whole bunch of misery incurred from ths storm, and for many/most, it has just begun.

While cell companies are making good profits, unless there is another service co-located on the tower (Police, fire, FBI, ect) the "industry standard' is now a 2 hour battery backup. It would be a good question to ask your gee whizz cell phone salesperson next time you contemplate changing carriers. In many places the cell sites themselves are "hard wired" to the rest of the system via internet, if one pole goes down you're left with "can you me NOW" if that's your local site.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back