23andme

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

Just did the test (did not do the medical portion). I have already done the Ancestry.com. The 23andme I believe is a more comprehensive analysis and in addition Family Tree DNA accepts the files from 23andme and Ancestry.com and further breaks them down with their comprehensive data base.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
So, without revealing anything personal that you don't want to, did you find out anything interesting from these tests?

+1

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
So, without revealing anything personal that you don't want to, did you find out anything interesting from these tests?

Did not get the 23 and me back yet. But with the ancestry. You get to see others that closely match your genes. And since a number of people in my immediate and extended family did it, I can locate your children and cousins...if one don't know who they are one has the opportunity of contacting them thru Ancestry. Of course this is voluntary and "real" identies are not known..unless that other person or you want to divulge it. I was actually able to confirm my family histroy from the time they came over in 1752.

Also Mayflower is getting on board to confirm if people are actually decendents of the Mayflower. My wife has done the test and is a member of Mayflower Society so that will be of interest to us.

Originally Posted By: WhyMe
if your DNA was never in a database, it is now. sooner or later someone will use this a tool to track people

Law enforcement solved a few murders because a close relative of the killer had their DNA in database.

I've had interest in this lately. May check it out.

My Wife is a descendant of John Alden, and the family home (a little Cape in Hanover, MA) is still IN the family. I think it was built early 1800's or even earlier. The ceilings are LOW and the kitchen has a wood fireplace with the cast iron arm with a pot hanger and beehive ovens on the left. There is a well just outside one window with a bucket on a rope.

I just found out that s
ome twit girl, Steve Mnuchin's wife, Louise family owns my ancestor's Castle in Scotland! We "M" are better than that. I'd like to toss her like a caber into the moat!

In any event Id like to learn more and this DNA thing is interesting but I don't want to get ripped off.

If any of you guys have certain diseases, you should be able to get a free 23andme analysis. I was able to get one through their IBD study.

They have some for African descendants and for those with bipolar depression.

Determining your ancestry could be upsetting for some.

Disclosure: entirely submitted for humorous effect. Nothing racial implied whatsoever, and I mean it!

My wife and I just got our results from Ancestry this past week. I was happy to learn of a few branches I previously didn't know about.

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist
My wife and I just got our results from Ancestry this past week. I was happy to learn of a few branches I previously didn't know about.

At least yours branched......
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist

At least yours branched......
wink.gif

Yeah, not far, but also not entirely as expected. My wife on the other hand seems to be quite a pure-breed not quite as expected.

Time to stat my pillaging as I've recently found out I'm part Viking.
24.gif
05.gif
24.gif

It's all fake.

A family member sent their DNA out to get tested to 2 "reputable" companies and got COMPLETELY different results from each one.

You could probably swab your chihuahua's DNA and send it in and they'll tell you that you're 50% Irish, 25% Russian, and 25% Chinese.

I think for it to be accurate, it would have to cost a lot more money.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
It's all fake.

A family member sent their DNA out to get tested to 2 "reputable" companies and got COMPLETELY different results from each one.

You could probably swab your chihuahua's DNA and send it in and they'll tell you that you're 50% Irish, 25% Russian, and 25% Chinese.

They just have a high error rate. The way they do these, they cut up strands into small pieces and then try to put them back together. Leads to a high amount of error.

As for the Chihuahua, it doesn't even have 23 pairs of chromosomes, more like 39.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
It's all fake.

They just have a high error rate. The way they do these, they cut up strands into small pieces and then try to put them back together. Leads to a high amount of error.

As for the Chihuahua, it doesn't even have 23 pairs of chromosomes, more like 39.
The Chihuahua reference was sarcasm lol.

It's all fake.

I am very skeptical of these things too, in fact the entire Ancestry site sounds like a joke. A coworker entered all his info in, and then they wanted a credit card to tell him anything! So pretty much he donated all the information to the site.
lol.gif

It's like these organizations exist to catalogue DNA for other purposes (which will certainly be more valuable than anything the customer pays, if they even pay) and just send the customer back some wishy-washy, over-generalized and simplified "consumer grade" geneology for them to say "Ah. Cool. I didn't know that".

The other institutional entities purchasing these organizations' databases (ie the proper business model) are the real clients IMO.

It also says something that they will analyse people with certain diseases for free; where the data can be used by those organizations for, oh I dunno, drawing-up false (data-backed) correlations between certain genetic expressions and diseases with the ultimate goal purporting that all those diseases are "hereditary"; a data-backed red-herring to distract the fact that a lot of these diseases might just be INJURY.

Liability is the medical industry's worst nightmare. Everyone should know this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back